New Life, Old Spirits

Kanade
User flair: Of a thousand jutsu

New Life, Old Spirits

Post by Kanade » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:08 pm

1236, Training grounds #74

Kanade had looked everywhere, high and low, at the market and in the shops and finally looked in the training grounds. This was the, she didn't even like to think which attempt this was, but she was rather annoyed at having to try to find the one specific person that she was looking for within the village. Being a Jounin had certain privileges, and none of them encompassed summoning someone of lower rank for personal affairs. She found who she was looking for, finally, in the middle of the arena, seemingly in the midst of either a free-for-all or a sparring with multiple opponents and studied her movements for a time. She was standing on the precipice overlooking the arena on a crude outcropping of rock that had a guard-rail and rough-hewn benches carved into the living rock. She couldn't go in hot-headed, though she felt rather annoyed at how long it had taken her to find the little gen- She stopped and corrected herself- chuunin. Kanade stared down for a good half minute, and as the spat, spar, or other sp- word that involved fighting didn't look anywhere near its conclusion, she decided to drop from her vantage point more than fifty meters in the air.

She descended and wove hand-seals, watching the pink silicone petals rush out from the tenketsu in her feet, enveloping her completely, finally, at ten meters from the ground, silicone leaves wrapped around the whole thing. The lotus ploughed into the ground at terminal velocity and as the dust settled, Kanade strode out from the petals with her butterflies exiting out after her in a resplendent display, "Kotori-chan, I would like a word, when you're free." She stated, her burning orange eyes more apparent in the low-light of the underground arena.
jutsu usedShow
Silicone • Descending Lotus
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After the correct hand seals are performed, the user either grows around their body, or allows for a touched person to grow Lotus petals at [control] speed, completely engulfing them and pushing foreign objects not worn or attributed to the character away from them at [control] speed. These petals only extend 1/2 meter from the user's body, and it puts the user into a forced standing position with their arms crossed over their chest (with [control] strength]. These have [control] strength and are usually used to break the user's fall from high places or counteract a taijutsu that uses gravity against the user.
Last edited by Kanade on Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~My characters~~
Iwagakure Jounin: Kanade Enkouten
Thread Tracker for Kanade (previously Chiaki): viewtopic.php?f=105&t=8345273&p=4197389#p4197389
Kirigakure Genin: Achiyo
Heart Samurai: Kyudo-ite, Kasuri
Sunagakure Genin: Kouseki, Kagayaki
Sunagakure Jounin: Naegi, Aihachi

Valkier

New Life, Old Spirits

Post by Valkier » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:55 pm

Sweat beaded on Kotori's brow. It ran past unkempt locks of hair, those looking as if someone had grabbed them in rough fists and used them to pull her bodily across the floor—because someone had—and then carved thin clear lines through the dirt and grime on her cheeks, through the dried blood around her mouth, down to gather in droplets upon her chin. Then she moved, flicking it out into the air before a foot connected with her face. She threw herself backwards, somersaulting away from an onslaught of limbs, then skidded to a halt and tried to take stock of her situation. Her chest rose and fell with heavy gasps, and one eye was beginning to swell shut, but she didn't surrender. Not yet, she told herself, not yet!

Then she was moving again. Only four opponents surrounded her now, out of the seven she'd initially challenged. One of her defeated foes still limped away around the edges of the training ground; the other two were long gone to the hospital, one helping the other after a brutal breakage. Of the four that remained, two were older, stronger, and twice her size. The third was faster than even Setsuna, and the fourth had a tenacity that rivaled Kotori herself. She dropped suddenly to one knee to duck beneath a vicious spinning kick, then snapped a fist upwards and struck the passing knee from beneath, throwing its owner off balance and fumbling their landing. No time for a grapple. No time even to take advantage of the stumble, because the other three were coming.

They surrounded her now, one to the front, left, and right, all advancing and forcing her back. She growled, narrowed eyes flickering between the three like a cornered animal. It was not a bad analogy. One of them, to her right, was half a step behind, no doubt hoping to capitalise on the others moving first to land a strike of their own, and so Kotori turned and charged. Better to get at one, instead of waiting for all three to pounce. But her tactic was too obvious, or too slow, and her target simply ducked her punch and sidestepped, moving backwards and away, taunting her, baiting her—

Her vision blurred and pain erupted in her head as one of the other two landed a hit from behind, but she was too stubborn to go down. NOT YET. Someone grabbed her arms and held them behind her, a vice grip around her chest. She screamed, a feral howl, and fought instinctually. Using their grip as a support, she kicked both legs up and out, landing a solid crack! upside the chin of one assailant and forcing a second back. The one holding her shifted their grip as if to throw or drop her, and she whipped her head back in a violent smash at the same moment. Her skull made contact and she felt a crunch. And suddenly she was free. Free to scramble forwards, kick out a leg, grab a handful of hair, and ram her knee home into... What was that?!

She leapt away and put her back to the wall of the training arena, turning to get a better look at the sudden eruption of petals and dust on the other side of the field. A figure was coming her way. "Kotori-chan!" She heard the call and hesitated; she knew that voice. Kanade. She lowered her guard and began to sigh, calling an end to her spar, when a kick connected with the side of her head and sent her staggering to the side. A pair of hands caught her, a leg twined with hers, and suddenly she was airborne. The cave spun above her and before she knew it she was slammed back into the ground, spun around, her arms twisted and locked behind her, and a victorious enemy sat upon her chest to keep her down.

"Ga--ah!" she spluttered, exhaling in pain, surprise, and frustration all at once. "FUCK!" She tried to twist free, but the pressure on her arms increased, building and building sharply until she thought her arms and shoulders would shatter. Finally, drawing ragged breaths and spitting, she went limp. And her opponents cheered in her misery, celebrating and slapping one another on their backs. They took their time getting up, leaving Kotori battered and bruised lying in the dirt. Eventually, regretting every movement, she pulled herself up to a sitting position and levelled an unamused stare at Kanade.

"Oi, Kanade. I guess that makes me free. Thanks for that." She coughed and reached a grubby finger into her mouth to test a wobbly tooth, then worked her mouth and spat blood to one side before grimacing and slowly rising to wobbly feet. "Can't believe you just cost me fifteen ryo," she muttered quietly, almost too softly to be heard, then began walking over to her on-again, off-again Sensei. She stopped and looked the older woman up and down for a long moment.

"You look good." She offered a pained smile, but the blood rather ruined the gesture. "What, uh, what's up?" She began trying to comb her hair with her fingers, but immediately gave up on the futile task. "Ma'am." She remembered, too late.
CharactersShow
Aisu NaohiroJouninKirigakure no Sato[Unit 12] [HHD] [#BAE0E2] [#70CEE2]
Hachiya KotoriGeninIwagakure no Sato[Ukiyogenma Jinchuuriki] [H.N.K.][Gold] [#BF8040][Thread Tracker]

Kanade

New Life, Old Spirits

Post by Kanade » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:31 pm

Kanade walked toward Kotori, the kids twisting her arm weren't any danger to her, but the lesson might be a good one for Kotori anyhow. She wondered if Kotori guessed at the slight bump that was her belly, wondered if she thought that Kanade was growing lax in her training, "Mmmm. You look good too Kotori, I see you have been practicing." Kanade watched as Kotori's face melted into Hanako's in her mind's eye, making her blink rapidly and smiled after she shook the memories out of her immediate thoughts. She took out a purse, money from her restaurant and tossed it at Kotori, "Don't want you to be out ryo, and besides, if you continue to bet, you'll get stronger."

Looking at the arena, she judged it to be approximately eighty meters in diameter and nodded, "You know, I have been meaning to try this out, I have been training it in the forest in secret, but it should be a fun little exercise now." She wove an intricate blur of hand seals and an innumerable amount of pink threads burst out of all of the tenketsu she had all over her body, coating the area in the threads. The ones that didn't attach themselves to the injured children fell away like spiderwebs that had just been cut by a sparrow's wing, hanging limp until they faded on the ground. Then Kanade smiled and pumped chakra into each of the strings, a pulse of teal chakra snapping the tethers taut, pulsing down them until her Mystical Palm technique she was passing through it healed the children.

"The youth of Iwagakure are going to need to be stronger in the coming days." She didn't doubt that even Kotori had heard the distant rumblings, the barest rumors of Konoha's attack on Iwagakure. She stared for a moment at Kotori, making sure that her wounds were patched up, before continuing, "I have a predicament." She said, once she was sufficiently pleased with the results. There were kids that were going to have to still go to the hospital, but they would have sprains rather than fractures. Kanade had broken out in a sweat, her orange eyes burning and her hair turning a molten red color with the exertion. The pink threads snapped and fell away like forgotten memories, leaving Kanade standing there with Kotori in the middle of the arena.

"I am with child." She ran a hand over the barest part of a baby-bump, "And I refuse to run and hide with all those who cannot defend the village." She raised an eyebrow, wondering if Kotori could put the pieces together herself as to what she was asking. "After seeing your spirit within you, and seeing what it can do, I thought that I would ask if you would be so kind as to... try to hurry my condition along a bit." She bit her lip, her uncertainty creasing her brow before she looked back to Kotori, she started to walk out of the arena, stopping a couple of paces away, "If you wouldn't mind accompanying me, I would love to talk about whether you'd be willing to even try." It was galling, asking a Chuunin for help even if she did house a kami within her, but she had tried, and failed to bring the baby to term on her own, always the threads of time snapped back into place. "I would be willing to do anything, give anything to you, if you would let me defend our home from the invaders, knowing that my child is safe within the walls."
She meant it as well, she would hand over her smithy, her restaurant, her every ryo and live penniless in the streets if it meant keeping her child safe. She could earn all of that back, and she would gladly trade all of it away for something that, to her, was impossible.
573/400 training for this jutsuShow
Tenketsu Tethering: Universal link
S-Rank Ninjutsu/Iijutsu
After a set of hand seals, the Kyoukan family member will make fire off innumerable pink wisps of chakra from themselves, coating the area at a speed of [Control] up to [Controlx2] meters away. These tethers are immaterial and as such can pass through solid objects. If contact is made with a living thing, a tether will form. This tether can stretch up to [Control] x 2 meters and lasts for [Control]/2 posts. When stretched further than this range, the tether remains but will be unusable as a medium for tether techniques. These tethers can be passively disconnected by the user at any time.
~~My characters~~
Thread Tracker for Kanade (previously Chiaki): viewtopic.php?f=105&t=8345273&p=4197389#p4197389

Valkier

New Life, Old Spirits

Post by Valkier » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:54 pm

"Pfft. I look like shit." Kotori shrugged, then hesitated at the offered ryo. Her instinct was to quickly accept it and tuck it away into a hidden pocket before hesitation or good sense on Kanade's part prevailedhv, but she just about resisted. Instead, her outreached hand gently closed Kanade's fingers back around the ryo. "Thanks, but nah. I intend to earn it back, with interest," she grinned and shot a look back towards her sparring partners, still grinning behind her. They wouldn't be celebrating like that again.

When she looked back to Kanade, the pink tendrils erupting from the jounin made her stagger back in alarm, a shout dying on her lips as healing energy began to pulse through the line that latched to her own body. Not that she didn't trust the woman, of course, but the sudden eruption of the technique would take anyone by surprise. She followed the other glowing lines of chakra leading behind her, realising that Kanade was actually healing everyone in the room at once, with her single technique. The impressiveness was only slightly marred by the realisation that all the marks of Kotori's hard work over the last few hours—the black eyes, the broken noses, the sore ribs and limping feet—was undone in a moment. She slumped forwards as the technique finished, finding herself restored physically, though not entirely refreshed. But her exertion was soon forgotten.

"Oh! I didn't— Uh, congratulations!" She stammered, not wholly sure how to react, but assuming from Kanade's tone that the news was joyful, despite the timing. The timing was apparently the issue, and Kotori's expression quickly became uncertain as the jounin continued to explain. She fell into step beside Kanade but remained silent for a time, though the concern was obvious on her face.

"I don't know what to say. Really. I think, maybe, I have the ability to do this. Or, well, Nolosha does, if I can manifest it." She spoke quietly, walking with Kanade until the two were definitely out of earshot of any passers-by. "Once, when I was running a mission with Amaya, I managed to restore someone's youth when I touched them. It wasn't intentional, but I remember how it felt. I think I could do that again. And in my gut, it feels like the opposite should be possible as well. But, Kanade? I've never done this deliberately, and..." she hesitated, searching for something in the jounin's eyes. How serious was she? How desperate? "I don't know how it will work, or how well I could control it even if it does. I'm afraid to use it on someone I know. Someone I like. Now, I reckon you could handle whatever I could throw at you, but," another pause, and her voice lowered to a whisper. "...An unborn child? We... I have no idea what might happen. It's a bad idea. What if I...?" she cut off, not wanting to put voice to the worst possible outcome. Her face, worried and serious, said it plainly enough. Kotori was not the type to idly entertain either worry or seriousness.
CharactersShow
Hachiya KotoriGeninIwagakure no Sato[Ukiyogenma Jinchuuriki] [H.N.K.][Gold] [#BF8040][Thread Tracker]

Kanade

New Life, Old Spirits

Post by Kanade » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:14 pm

Kanade smoothed her clothing around her barely visible bump, "Yeah, it's uh, yeah." She blushed and nodded, at the hesitation, "I am trusting Nolosha to the task now, but you are the conduit for her power, and I want to know if you're comfortable doing it-" She hesitated, the tension between the break in the sentence could have been plucked like a violin string, "If you're comfortable with putting that power to use. I have tried all other avenues, and Jikukan is but a pale immitation of the power that you hold." She grinned, it was slightly bitter.

She waited for the eventuality of what Kotori was going to say, "What if you... kill me?" She smirked, "I hardly think that I am going to bleed out even if something were to erupt from inside of me." She shook her head and chuckled, then realized what she was saying and cleared her throat, "Mmm. Besides, if something goes wrong I have... ways-" She hesitated, "Of reversing something that goes horribly wrong."

She was a master of Jikukan, with more techniques than she could count on her hands and feet, but she would still have to use the most advanced of them, and that would be with the strain of dying. She could manage it, she knew, but probably only barely. She had to feel confident about this. It was either that they try this now, or she certainly was going to defend Iwagakure in the beginning of her third trimester. It would endanger not only her, but her unborn child. The emotions swam behind her eyes as she stared ahead, uncertainty, despair, hope, and excitement vied for their spot on her features before she settled into a calm.

"I can also have these little ones help with your state of mind, if that would help?" She motioned to a butterfly that alit on the back of her hand before spinning and twirling off to join the rest of the throng, who were trailing a good four paces behind the two. Only the barest amount of them were around Kanade at all times, as she found that other people found them annoying. Annoying in a way that Kirari never did.

"Per-" She drew out the vowel in a thought that was more a musing than anything else. A thought that was half formed as she spoke it slowly, "-haps we should find something to practice on first like um." She glanced around as their walk had taken them to the surface without her knowing it, her thoughts had been turned inward and she had walked mechanically toward her shop, on the topside of Iwagakure, "Like that." She pointed to a chicken that was laying on an egg. "Her baby in that egg would be perfect." The cockerel crowed and scratched the ground in a challenge to Kanade. The mother hen shifted nervously over her clutch of eggs, eighteen little bundles of potential energy that were waiting to be released into the world. She hesitated and raised an eyebrow at Kotori.
~~My characters~~

Valkier

New Life, Old Spirits

Post by Valkier » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:17 pm

Kotori's eyebrows rose at Kanade's suggestion that she could remedy even the worst of screw-ups with Nolosha's power. If that were the case, and yet she still needed Kotori's help, the situation must be serious. To know the risk, and to suggest this course regardless, prepared to fend off the chaotic turns of Nolosha's will... Kotori looked away, suddenly aware of how personal and essential this request must be to Kanade. The emotions welling in the older woman's eyes made a little more sense now.

"...Okay, yeah." She turned and paced a few steps back and forth, wringing her hands anxiously even as she resolved to help. "If I can help you, I will. I promise. Yeah, anything to help me concentrate is probably a good idea too."

She followed along with Kanade as they made their way back towards the surface, and all the while the proposed task gnawed at Kotori. Resolve was one thing, action was another; how was she going to do this? How was she going to start? She couldn't go in blind. And almost as if Kanade had been reading her mind, she suggested experimenting with something altogether less catastrophic first.

"I had the same thought," she admitted and offered a feeble smile. The moment stretched out between them before Kotori eventually stepped over to the hen house. The irony of her practice location was not lost on her, given where she'd hoped to be mastering these powers shared the name. She reached out slowly to pet the hen first, then tossed a handful of seed from a nearby container to usher it out of the enclosure. Then knelt before the nest and closed her eyes, concentrating her mind inwards.

Several times now she'd channeled the mysterious energies of Nolosha no Ukiyogenma in the heat of battle, both consciously and unconscously. Sometimes it came easily, with power gushing out of her like an opened faucet, directed in her hands as effortless as if she were born to it. But other times there was nothing—a void where there should be power, a mental block between herself and the genma. Or, worse still, the power came like a tidal wave, bowling her over and leaving her fighting desperately against a power and current that would sweep away nations in its fury. But today she had time to think. Time to reach out carefully and react, to open herself to the genma in as controlled a way as Hachiya Kotori had ever known. She felt her awareness of the world fade and her conciousness slip, felt her mind falling, falling inwards. In a distant, unknowable place, familiar yet unfamiliar, she made her plea to the Phantom Beast of Life. It took an instant and an eternity, a conversation forgotten before it had even completed, a bargain made.

When next she opened her eyes they blazed with golden fire. The earthy scent of the hen house hit her with new ferocity, and beneath that the subtle perfume of Kanade, nearby. The dim light of her surroundings struck her with vivid clarity as her body came alive with Nolosha's chakra, and she could suddenly feel every ripple and rut in the ground beneath her knees. Energy, sweet life itself, coursed through her body. Twisting reams of gold bled into the air around her, a shimmering light radiating from her skin and a faint halo flickering into shape around her head. Power, but... peaceful. A sunrise after a stormy night. A reflection of fireside warmth in a window. The comforting glow of a lover's smile. Two purple ropes of chakra, like tendrils, extended from the back of Kotori's head, mingling with her hair and waving gently in an unseen, unfelt wind.

Imbued with such power, she reached out and wrapped hands around one of the eggs, then gently allowed the euphoric energy to bleed into the shell. Grow, she thought, be birthed and be free!. The egg grew warm, then in the next moment hot and blackened, and she dropped it with a gasp. When it hit the floor it shattered. Didn't crack, or splatter, but shattered, splintering into dark, unidentifiable fragments, causing her to gasp and reel backwards, sharing a momentary horror with Kanade.

Nothing happened with the next attempt, and after a few minutes of concentration she broke open the shell to reveal a half-formed, unchanged embryo. By the fifth egg she'd learned to concentrate on the essence of life within, linking it to the energies she wielded to help it grow and develop. But that breakthrough alone wasn't enough; the next few chicks grew too fast, or in the wrong ways, ending up misshapen, broken, or deceased. Each failure weighed her down as she refined the technique, learning how and when to wield the life chakra to achieve her desired effect. By the twelfth, she tentatively peeled away fragments of shell to reveal a ball of sticky wet yellow feathers that quivered in her palm, struggling to sudden life. Still small, feeble, fragile, but bigger and more developed by far than the others had been. She shared another look with Kanade, a silent hope, until the new chick suddenly reverted back to an earlier, unformed state. Kotori winced, eased its passing, then swallowed her frustrations and tears and turned back to continue her attempts.

Only by the seventeeth egg did she feel she'd achieved the technique, able to reliably and permanently—or so she thought so far—advance the age of the unborn chicks in a controlled and careful manner. Eighteen proved her mastery of it, but even so, it did not feel like enough. She turned her attention to seeds in the ground around them and continued trying, learning the new targets and experimenting until she sat surrounded by new plants blooming in their prime. She reached out to the mother hen, and on her first attempt aged it perfectly, then reversed it, and repeated the cycle several times. Only then did she return to find Kanade and report her tentative success. It still didn't feel like enough. Still too much of a gamble, but what else could they do? She didn't need to speak her worries, written across her face as they were.
Jutsu Trained: 1000/850Show
Guerdon of Tomorrow
C-Rank Ninjutsu
Prerequisites: Ukiyogenma Form 2

The user channels before unleashing a refined wave of Life energy. The wave will spread from the user at [control] speed for up to 10 metres and can be up to 10 x 10 metres in size, enveloping living targets it touches with a bright golden glow. Struck targets immediately advance in age anywhere from a few months to as much as ten years per application, and can be reapplied to continue the ageing further. The technique is permanent, leaving the target at their new advanced age unless reversed by de-ageing Ukiyojutsu.
CharactersShow

Return to “Iwagakure no Sato”