The Blade Itself

Isuzu

The Blade Itself

Post by Isuzu » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:46 pm

The sun was barely peeking through the window's of the Takada Family Compound. The Takada were of no significant political power, nor did they have any sort of influence stemming from a rich family history. Truth be told, the Takada were a forgettable family with-in the village of Kumo. They happened upon their modest fortune from the hard work of the head of the Takada family, Ichiro. He was a world famous writer, and had hit the jackpot off of his second novel, the first in a string on young adult adventure books about a shinobi who joined a Samurai clan. There were now ten books in the series, and it's popularity was at an all time high. There were even plays and puppet shows based on the story, which was praised by critics as the high point of the series.

Kurado wasn't much of a fan, however. Sure, he loved his father, and looked up to him even. But there wasn't much for him in those books. They were too romanticized, and far fetched for his taste. No, he much preferred his uncles books, rooted in fact and all about ancient historically accurate civilizations that have been proven to exist. Some of the discoveries were made by his Uncle Jiro himself. Even now, Kurado was kneeling before a small table that had a small cup of mint tea and a lit candle. Though the sun was starting to rise, it was still too dark for his eyes to see clearly. His left forearm rested against the edge of the small table, his hand holding the newest book on his long list of reading material. This was his normal morning routine, to sit in front of a candle and drink his morning tea while reading a few pages from his book. He'd then get started with whatever he had to do for the day, sometimes completing it before the rest of his family even rose from bed. He was always an early bird, though.

On today's schedule was some rigorous training. He'd felt his strength waining lately, and this was simply unacceptable. As a swordsman, he prided himself on his impeccable conditioning. He'd designed a training regimen that was centered around increasing not only his upper body strength, but also his lower body, something many shinobi neglected from time to time. Taking the last sip of his tea, he placed it back on the small saucer it'd sat on and stood up in one fluid motion while grabbing the saucer while simultaneously marking and closing his book with his other hand. He placed the teacup where the family normally put their dishes, then proceeded to his room to get ready for the day, but not before putting up his book in it's correct spot. Taking off the clothes he'd slept in, he changed into his normal training clothes and exited his room, grabbing his sword that was leaning against the frame as he exited.

Nakamura, Takeshi | A-rank MN | Kirigakure
Hinoshi, Isuzu | Genin | Konohagakure
Ishiguro, Kisuke | Chuunin | Kumogakure

Isuzu

The Blade Itself

Post by Isuzu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:48 am

The walk from his room to the small Dojo was something to relish. The entire compound only consisted of the main house, the private bathhouse and the Dojo itself. However, since his mother spent almost all of her time at home, she had taken up a bit of landscaping over the years. Having to look at the same scenery every day can wear on a person, so might as well make it as beautiful as possible. She'd lined the walkways between the main house and the Dojo with Camelila's and Morning Glories, which were just starting to bloom as Kurado walked the stone laid path between the two sides. The wind began to gently blow, tearing a few petals from the Cherry Blossom trees that were spaced out around the empty areas of the grounds. Some of the leaves landed on the surface of the small Koi pond his father had put in. There were a few different plants located around this too, as well as a few lily pads floating on the surface of the pond. A few of the Cherry Blossom petals also drifted over the 5 foot stone wall that lined the entirety of the property, save for the wooden gate with the Takada Family Crest arching over that at a good 8 feet. It was quite a cozy home, and one that Kurado was very thankful that he was able to grow up in.

Sliding the door to the Dojo open, he immediately removed his house slippers and made his way across the cold floor to the other end of the room where the main table was located. There were mats on the ground for one to kneel and watch others train, or simply take a small break in-between sessions. First leaning his blade against the wall, Kurado used the matches on this table to light a candle, and then used that candle to light the incense. Training could bring out some truly deplorable odors, so the incense was there to help offset that somewhat. Taking in a deep breath, he closed his eyes while raising his hands high above his head, placing his palms together right as he finished the inhale. He then began slowly lowering them to chest level as he exhaled. Taking in another deep breath, he widened his elbows out while keeping his palms touching, then pushed his hands outward, fully extending them and finally pulling his hands apart right as the exhale ended. This similar exercise continued for several minutes, and was always the first step to his training, before stretching even. He'd read about it in a book on the ancient samurai culture, something about "aligning his chi". Once that was done, the stretching took place as he began to limber up for the days activities.

As he stretched, he surveyed the room to ensure everything was in place where he'd left them. He noticed his dad must've been working with the Bonsai Tree's again, since there were small clippings on the table around them. Moving to the actual training area, everything looked fine. An open floor that had a thin mat sitting atop the hardwood floor. It cushioned impact some, but still allowed for the toughening of muscle that occurred from hitting the ground. However, what Kurado had in mind first was immediate strength training, which his own personally invented pull up "ladder" would accommodate nicely. It didn't have any rungs, but had small notches where one could slide in their own, based on height. Kurado tended to use his sword, so he'd made the spacing fit perfectly for that particularly. What made this ladder special though, was that it extended all of the way up to the roof, a full 18 ft. The idea was for Kurado to do a few pull ups at a notch, then use his core and arms to free himself from one notch and move up to the one above it. To make it more difficult, they weren't exactly evenly spaced, so one had to use their mind a bit as well. It was quite the system he'd developed, and one he was proud of. Once he was done stretching, he grabbed his blade by the sheath and walked over to the ladder.

He placed his blade in the notch that naturally fit his arms fully extended above his head with him standing on his tip toes. Once secure, he lifted his feet up off of the ground and crossed them behind him by the ankle. He decided to take the overhand grip for the first run. "One...two...three...four...five.." He kept the count in his head up to ten, then pulled himself up and used his abdominal muscles and arm strength to maneuver his legs around the blade, proceeding to do ten crunches from this position. He then used his nimble joints to swing under his blade in one fluid motion, and grabbed the blades sheath with his right hand before following up with the left. He used this momentum to go ahead and swing up to the next notch, a full six inches higher. This was on the smaller side of the notch space. He then reversed grip, doing similar exercises for the next few notches.

Once he made it to about thirteen feet up, he began to really feel the burn all over his body from this workout. Sweat had begun pooling on the ground below where he was hanging. "...Guess I'm more out of shape than I thought. That just means.." He exhaled a bit, just hanging for a moment before taking his left hand from the sheath, leaving only his right hand grasping the sheath. "..I have to push myself that much harder.." He began to do his pull-ups with one hand, then switching and doing his hanging crunches while hanging from one leg. He continued this until he reached the very top rung, his hands and knee joints aching from having to grasp the blade for so long. He then released all but two fingers, one on each hand, from Kyuto's sheath, using just those to pull himself up. "..Come on Kurado, just..." He felt his fingers beginning to slip form the sweat. "..a little.." He clenched harder, fighting with all of his might to not slip and fall. "..MORE..". He pulled himself up one final time, right as his fingers slipped completely. Due to his quick reaction time, he manage to reach up and grab the sheath with his full hand to catch himself from falling. Using his last bit of energy, he unnotched the blade and fell from eighteen feet to the ground, landing gracefully, if not a little wobbly. A small splash could be heard from his feet hitting the rather large pool of sweat that'd collected over time.

"I've got to start putting a towel under here."
Stat TrainingShow
Word Count: 1139/800
Strength(4)+1 = 5

Isuzu

The Blade Itself

Post by Isuzu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:05 pm

"Would probably be a good idea. Dad'll kill ya if he sees that" The boy who spoke glanced over at the ground a few feet away, which had a few scratch marks. Zudo, Kurado's younger brother was standing in the archway, having slid the door open and watched Kurado as he finished up his training. The older Takada brother's back was to the entrance, so he never noticed Zudo enter. He didn't turn around, letting out a slight laugh at his brothers comment. "Yeah, well that just means Dad can't see it." Zudo got the hint, and grabbed a towel from the rack that was right by the door and tossed it to Kurado. The older brother turned around and simply batted the towel out of the air to land onto of the pool of water. He then used his foot to dry up the pool of water with the towel.

"Why're you up so early, anyway?"

The sun was just barely peaking through the wooden "bars" on the windows, casting long shadows across the roomspan of the room, some overlapping to create a somewhat disorienting atmosphere. This was all part of their fathers design, making them have to focus more than usual to keep up with their opponent, who was normally either each other or, on occasion, a trainer their dad brought in. Zudo began to walk toward his brother, the shadow giving his approach an off-putting appearance. "I could hear you in here. The sound of your sword on the rungs make a pretty loud noise. My room is right there, ya know." He pointed over his shoulder back at the main house. "Oh, my bad bro. I didn't think about that." The older one was many things, but kind to his younger brother was perhaps the most defining quality. He hadn't meant to wake him, since he knew he didn't get off to sleep until late last night. "Don't sweat it, bro" He let out a chuckle at the obvious pun waiting to happen. Kurado wondered if he hadn't set up the whole conversation to lead up to the perfect opportunity to make that joke. He wouldn't put it past him.

Having now finished cleaning the pool of sweat, he placed his foot under the towel and "kicked" it from the ground into the bin located against the back wall about 6 feet away. He then looked up at his brother as he got a better grip on his sword, holding it right below where the handle met the sheath. He'd not noticed how much Zudo'd grown in the year he was gone on his chuunin exam mission. He had to be every bit of 5'7", and he was arguably more muscular that Kurado himself was. He was wearing his sword though, so Kurado knew he hadn't just come into the Dojo to see what his brother was up to. Good. It'd been a while since Kurado faced a decent swordsman, and he was itching to get to training. He looked his brother in the eye, who met his gaze with a knowing look. Kurado used the thumb of the hand holding his Kyuko to push the blade out ever so slightly, too which his brother responded by grabbing the hilt of his sword on his back.

Kurado had a sudden idea though, and tilted his sword vertically to cause the sword to move back into the sheath under the force of the movement. If Kurado were to fight his brother with his sword, it honestly wouldn't be much of a challenge, since Kurado was still a superior swordsman. Plus, they'd fought each other so much they knew all of the other's moves. No, this time was going to be a bit different for both of them, and perhaps giving them some valuable experience in the process. "I have an idea Zudo. Something a little...different from our normal spars." Kurado was over by the table now, and used it to lean his sword against. Zudo looked confused, but intrigued. "I'm listening." Kurado turned around, a smirk on his face. "I'm not going to use Kyuko. Instead, I'm sticking strictly to my ninjutsu. That way, it'll give you some experience against a different fighting style, and I can practice a scenario where I don't have my sword." Zudo rolled his eyes at the last part, knowing his brother never let Kyuko leave his sight. "Yeah, like that'll happen. But sure, I'm down. Just don't electrocute me to death." Kurado and Zudo walked over to the pad on the ground, which covered an area of 12x12 ft, giving them ample space to spar. Though, it was a little bit closer quarters than Kurado would've liked for his normal ninjutsu techniques. Oh well, if we were disarmed against a swordsman he'd have to rely on his Raiton in a similar situation. With the threat of the samurai looming over the village, that situation was a definite possibility.
Stat TrainingShow
Word Count: 826/800
Ninjutsu Training (6) + 1 = 7

Isuzu

The Blade Itself

Post by Isuzu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:32 pm

He assumed he was going to have to use some taijutsu as well, since his brother would be coming in close with his sword. "Don't go easy on me just because I'm disarmed. Treat me like I'm your worst enemy." He wanted Zudo to come at him with full force. It wouldn't be much good for training if he didn't experience the boys full power. Plus, he wanted to see how talented he'd gotten since they'd last sparred before his chuunin exam. Lots had changed since then, for both of them. "Alright, bro. You do the same. I want to see how I compare to a chuunin." He emphasized the 'chuunin' to sort of mock his older brother for the promotion. Kurado didn't reply, simply getting into a relaxed stance. Just as soon as he'd settled into it though, Zudo rushed at him with surprising speed, sword raised up beside his head with the point facing outward and the cutting edge towards the roof.

It took Kurado by surprise, but he quickly gathered himself, beginning to do some hand signs and focusing chakra into his hands. They began to glow yellow and crackle a bit, signifying that they were covered in lightning. This would allow him to fight close range and allow for his brother to practice with his blade, and for him to dodge while also use some ninjutsu. To maintain this, Kurado had to keep focusing chakra into his hands, giving him a much needed lesson in controlling his chakra and pacing out the amount that he used so he didn't waste any. His brother had made it to him by this point, and made a stomp and pivoted on his front foot, coming around and spinning with the blade arm coming through first. This was classic Twisted Steel style, a form they'd both learned from their father. It was rumored he'd learned it from a samurai friend of his, but this was neither here nor there. With a quick bending of the knees and waist Kurado managed to duck under the blade swing, barely ducking under it by an inch, maybe less. Zudo continued to spin, and Kurado reached out and place his hands on the young boys leg, shocking him. This threw off the younger Takada's spin making him tumble to the floor from the spasm of his calf muscle.

"Trying to use my own style against me? Going to have to do better than that" He was back upright now, moving back towards where Zudo had come from, putting a good six feet between them. He kept switching pressure from one foot to the other, giving him the appearance of bouncing. Zudo raised himself up and by sticking his blade in the mat, tearing it a bit as he did so. There was a determined look in his eyes as he got back into a stance that Kurado didn't remember. "..I don't recognize that stance. Did he learn a new one?.." He ran towards Kurado and suddenly jumped in the air and lunged with his sword, attempting to jab Kurado in the shoulder. Kurado pivoted on his left foot, spinning out of the way of the jab. He attempted to strike with his electrified hands, but his brother had already landed and transitioned flawlessly into a low stance, so Kurado missed. His brother came through with a sweep with his leg at Kurado's, attempting to bring him to the ground. Kurado saw this coming, and jumped over the leg. Suddenly, Zudo transitioned into an upward kick, catching Kurado directly in his chin. The younger Takada let out a grin, until a puff of smoke covered his brother body, and cleared to reveal a block of wood that was normally in the corner of the room for such a reason.

Now in a compromising position, there was nothing Zudo could to to dodge the outreaching hands of Kurado from behind him, directly in the back. This caused the boy to fall flat on his face, scratching his nose across the front in the process. It took him a moment to gather himself, the pain being a bit more than Kurado intended. Walking over to his bro, he extended a hand to help him up. Zudo looked from his older brothers outreached hand, back to his face, then back to the hand again and grabbed it. A shocked passed through his hand as Kurado let out a laugh. These shocks were for the most part harmless, and it was funny in the moment. However, after that he could see that his brother was pissed, as he got up and moved back to his starting point on the mat. "Come on Zu, you know that was funny. You are supposed to treat my like your worst enemy. Would you have taken his hand?" The lightning left his hands, and he was ready for some more. This time he did hand signs and formed a clone of lightning out of his own image and dashed towards his brother, the lightning clone mimicking him the whole way.

Stat TrainedShow
Word Count: 844/800
Control (5) + 1 = 6
Jutsu UsedShow
Change of Body Position Technique (Basic Jutsu)

*[Lightning Element • Lightning Shock]
D-Rank Ninjutsu
This is a technique utilized by Raiton users to deliver a small but powerful shock to an opponent. By performing a short set of hand seals and focusing Raiton into his/her own hands, the user can wrap the appendages in electricity. For two posts, any direct contact between the user's hand and the target will send a shock through the target's body. The pain caused is equivalent to being stabbed by a senbon.

*[Raiton • Clone]
D-Rank Ninjutsu
After the user does the needed hand seals, a clone, lacking substance and the ability to interact with its environment, will form. These clones are destroyed after coming into contact with any physical object. As these clones have no free will, they are unable to do more than mimic the user's movements. However, unlike normal clones, these are filled with Raiton chakra. Whenever they disperse, they create a small blast of Raiton chakra in 1 meter in each direction causing slight shocks and numbness.

Return to “Kumogakure no Sato”