A Tiring (Family) Matter (of Honor)

SasukeRyotai

Post by SasukeRyotai » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:54 pm

Saiga shook her head, slumping into a chair as she lifted a hand to the farmer that had come in with a gash from a plow, which had been easy enough to fix for her. But it came at the end of a week of such incidents, severe enough that simple bandages wouldn't work, but simple enough that they trusted a Genin not long out of the Academy to handle them. And with her mother still out of shape from the loss of her father and brother among so many others a year prior, someone with her proficiency in Iijutsu was a boon to the village. She didn't even question it, viewing it as her responsibility to step up and fill in for her mother.

But just once, she would have liked something that didn't require such focused effort to patch back together. She had to admit, though, it was better than the mess she'd dived into headfirst after the attack. That first three days had been spent with maybe an hour of sleep each day, caught in a corner out of the way while others stepped in with more sleep and more attention. Her eyes went a little distant and she felt a soft smile cross her lips as that memory shot through her mind. They'd not even questioned, aside from handing her a triage case to ensure she was actually skilled with Iijutsu, and just set her to work once they'd seen the ease with which she'd stitched up the lacerated chest.

It had been tiring, but she wouldn't change it for anything in the world, and she wouldn't change what was going on now, either. Pushing out of the chair she'd slumped into, she began to move slowly around the small room, making sure that the various cabinets and drawers were still well stocked. Since the aftermath of the attack by Raijin, there had been a bit more call for Iijutsu users, as well as for general medical care. She paused in her motions as she heard a footstep, and straightened, turning to face the entryway, with her hands clasped in front of her after smoothing down her deep blue hakama with one hand. "Welcome. What brings you to medical today?"
Please see Sasuke's Testing Thread for all character development not involving RP posts. This includes thoughts on where I might go with them.
Character Info At A Glance
VillageName with LinkRankRole/JobSABCDText Color
KonohagakureHyuuga ChiekoChuuninANBU-----orangered
KumogakureArashiyama SaigaGeninMedical-----yellow
------

Nafan~

Post by Nafan~ » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:07 am

Senji strode purposefully down the hallway, fists clenched. With quick breathing and the beginnings of a shining cold layer of sweat on his face, he travelled down the empty hall with his robes billowing behind him. Each open door revealed nothing but an empty room beyond, and each time he saw the uninterrupted stark white he got increasingly desperate. If I don't find someone soon...

He had spent the majority of his days since returning from combat missions here, in the hospital. By no means was he a skilled doctor, he filled mainly the role of emergency response. Complicated surgeries and attention was beyond his knowledge, his interest in the area had been largely academic. In short, Senji was not an experienced medic. But it seemed that all of those that were were either already busy or away.

That was when he saw a man leaving from one of the bays at the end of the hall. Relief and elation flooded through him at the sight of the simple farmer walking calmly in the opposite direction. Someone was here! The magician went from marching down the hallway to jogging, turning to throw open the door before him. When he saw the child within, who calmly asked him why he was there, he could have screamed in frustration. Of all the people he could have found, it was a little girl. The thought to keep looking crossed his mind but he knew he was already running out of time. "Come with me." he said urgently, before turning and starting to walk back down the hallway. "Now!" he shouted back as his feet carried him quickly across the tiled floor.

"Tululila, Talila Tulula."
CharactersShow
Character
S-rankSunagakure no SatoHIzashi, Kougyoku

SasukeRyotai

Post by SasukeRyotai » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:54 am

Saiga gave a mental groan at the note of panic in the man's voice, but quickly put on a burst of speed to catch up to him. She hadn't been aware that there was any kind of operation out, so she simply assumed this was an overprotective relative overly worried over something minor. But first and foremost was ensuring whether it was, in fact, as serious as he assumed. While her medical jutsu were limited to Iijutsu, she had been studying the theory since her mother had thought her old enough to understand the concepts and theories.

So her mind was already racing, even as she followed him down the hall. "Since you seem in a hurry, sir, why don't you give me a few details about the patient on the way? The more information I can get now, the less time I have to spend in examination once we're there, and the more quickly and efficiently I can offer aid," she said briskly, her voice level with a very no-nonsense tone behind it. For the assumed child that she was to most people, it was very incongruous, and usually made most of the older residents of Kumo pause and glance back inquiringly.

She highly doubted that he would bother doing such a thing, as flustered as he seemed. For a moment, she wondered if she was going to have to (yet again) shove a much stronger and older shinobi out of the room so she could work without interference. She shook her head, though. She'd deal with that possibility when it arrived, and she had a few tricks most who didn't know her never expected. "And even if you don't know anything, your name and the patient's name would be most appreciated."
Please see Sasuke's Testing Thread for all character development not involving RP posts. This includes thoughts on where I might go with them.
------

Nafan~

Post by Nafan~ » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:13 pm

Had he been in a less stressful situation, Senji would have been taken aback by the girl's attitude. Her words were polite but her tone was so to the point that it was almost sarcastic. But he had no time to be surprised. "Ryakketsu Senji, Special Jounin. Patient is fresh from the field, missing an arm, multiple spinal lacerations, a number of broken ribs and probable skull fractures. Significant bruising to the abdomen suggests critical damage to the internal organs. I've performed some emergency care but there's too much for me to handle myself. You seem young, but I'm hoping you can at least play nurse for me. I'm no surgeon, so I'll be mostly going in blind. I just hope my Iijutsu skill can pick up the slack." he explained quickly along the way down the hall.

He then turned to look at the girl once more, his eyes conveying the seriousness of the situation. "So there isn't really much time to be surly." he chided. The magician had no intentions of letting the girl's pride interfere with saving this person's life.

CharactersShow
Character

SasukeRyotai

Post by SasukeRyotai » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:52 pm

She blinked. Panic hovered at the edge. This would be the most serious case she'd dealt with to this point. But she shoved it back, calling on the calm her mother had taught her, delving into that center. "I apologize if I seemed surly. That was not my intention. You seemed on the verge of panic, however, so I figured cutting to the chase would help you focus past it. Apologies, Jounin," she said with a slight bow.

She pursed her lips, and then shook her head. "I'm not going to be much use on the internal injuries, but the lacerations and the missing arm I can handle easily enough, as well as the sterilization if you can't," she said quickly. "My mother ensured that I at least had the basics of Iijutsu, as well as understood the theory behind Medical Arts, even if I can't grasp them myself quite yet. Arashiyama Saiga, by the way."

She bowed slightly again. "I will more than happily second you on this work, so if we could get going? It sounds bad enough that even with quick emergency care, we're looking at a very serious risk of losing the patient, and that is something I'd rather not have happen if we can prevent it." Her own gaze was as steady and serious as his, and she gestured. "For the more intensive work, just tell me what I need to do. I've been working in this clinic since I passed my Genin exams, before..." Her voice hitched for a second. "Before Raijin's attack."
------

Nafan~

Post by Nafan~ » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:01 pm

"I'm glad, now hurry along" Senji shouted as he walked down the corridor, already pacing away from the girl. His coat flailed as he strode between the narrow walls, the hurried tap of his feet signalling his eagerness to already be beside the injured ninja. "Everything you can do is something I won't have to, so that I can focus on things you can't do. Any and all help is appreciated."

Senji had no idea how the patient would be after this little excursion. Hopefully they weren't going to be too late. Stabilizing them had been difficult to say the least, and beads of sweat were already pooling on his forehead. He anticipated this would be very touch and go. Doubt gnawed at him from within, eroding his confidence. If he couldn't save even this one life, he'd be devastated. After all the pain and destruction and death he had caused, if he couldn't start atoning for it, he'd be worthless. He shook his head suddenly, growling in frustration. No time for stupid thoughts like that, you have to concentrate.

The magician turned suddenly, pushing his way into a room where a limp body lay on a table. Blood and dirt spattered itself all over the body, the clothes torn off beneath the woman's still form. All that remained of the left arm was a grizzled pulpy stump that ended just before the elbow. Gashes and bruising covered the poor woman, and her left eye maintained a steady stream of flowing blood down her face. "This is what we have to deal with. No time to scrub. Start doing whatever you can to stop the bleeding immediately, especially on that arm. We'll have to amputate what remains of it I think..."

CharactersShow
Character

SasukeRyotai

Post by SasukeRyotai » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:57 am

Saiga hurried along, trying her very best to steel herself against what she thought she would see. But the time was insufficient, and she felt the bile rise in her throat as she glanced over the woman, taking in the damage that had been done. There was a twinge of pain behind her eyes, and she swallowed, taking a deep breath to steady herself as she tried to force the gorge down.

Nodding, she flicked a single hand seal, a thin sheath of chakra flowing over her hands, and then another hand seal sent another film across her mouth and nose. Moving in, she glanced up at Senji. "We don't have to worry too much about scrubbing, at least I don't. I have myself taken care of. I'll begin sterilization and tending to the smaller wounds while you do the same for yourself. I... whatever you might have said, I certainly wasn't expecting it to be... this bad."

She shook her head, drawing two deep breaths as she focused for a moment, and then gently, carefully placed one hand on the mangled arm, the other ripping away a strip from her own tunic in preparation for what would need to be her next step. She needed to get the arm at least bandaged, to stop the blood loss, even if they did have to take the whole thing later. I've not seen injuries like this in over a year. What in the name of the Raikage happened to this woman? she pondered for a moment as she allowed her chakra to work through, burning away the foreign bacteria on the woman's arm.
Jutsu UsedShow
*[Iijutsu • Chakra Gloves]
E-Ranked Ninjutsu
When real latex gloves are not on hand, the *[Iijutsu • Chakra Gloves] technique comes in quite handy. After forming a single handseal, the user will focus chakra into his/her hands to form a thin layer of chakra around them. This chakra will help to protect other objects against the bacteria on the user's hands if sterilization is not an option before beginning a procedure. This technique can be held as long as the user has chakra.

*[Iijutsu • Chakra Mask]
E-Ranked Ninjutsu
Not unlike the *[Iijutsu • Chakra Gloves] technique, *[Iijutsu • Chakra Mask] shines when the real deal is not on hand. After forming a single handseal, the user will focus chakra into the area around his/her mouth and nose to form a thin layer of chakra around them. This chakra will help to keep the user from breathing bacteria onto a patient during procedures. This technique can be held as long as the user has chakra.

*[Iijutsu • Sterilization Technique]
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
As sanitation cannot always be guaranteed in field operations, this technique provides a quick substitute to traditional sterilization methods. After focusing chakra into his/her hands, the user will channel the chakra throughout his/her upper body (torso, arms, hands, face). This chakra will chew away at harmful bacteria and other foreign bodies on the skin, cleansing it until it is thoroughly sterile, and can be spread to objects, most commonly surgical tools. Of course, this takes both concentration and time, and in order to sterilize the entire upper body, it will take a duration of one (1) post. Users of this technique can also choose to sterilize certain parts of their upper body or the wounds of another person instead for a lesser concentration period. Once they are sanitized, they remain this way until coming in contact with more bacteria.
------

Nafan~

Post by Nafan~ » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:46 am

Senji performed his own complex string of hand seals, weaving his chakra in advanced ways to produce a golden glow around his hands. The golden chakra was different from that of normal iijutsu, but a byproduct of his abnormal birth. Regardless, he placed his hands upon his patient's abdomen and allowed it to delve into her body.

Golden ribbons of light flowed from his palms across her skin, down into the bones that hid beneath the surface. He could feel the effects of his work as ribs cracked themselves back into their correct position, and the bone hurriedly reformed itself at hundreds of times its normal rate. Senji clicked his tongue in exasperation. "I'm sorry for being blunt earlier. But as you can see, I had to rush. Hopefully together.." Senji began as he looked up and took in the girl properly with his eyes for the first time.

"Hopefully together we can save this person's life. Arashiyama, Saiga." he said kindly, smiling slightly. The magician was truly glad to have her here, and extremely glad that she had adapted to the situation. She seemed like a talented young girl, to him at least. "I think perhaps you should bandage the arm for now, stop the bleeding?" Senji suggested, once she was done sterilizing the large wound.
JutsuShow
*[Iijutsu • Bone Regeneration Technique]
B-Ranked Ninjutsu
Although simple to explain, the *[Iijutsu • Bone Regeneration Technique] requires both skill and patience in order to mend the fractured or broken bones of patients. After focusing chakra into the hands, the user will begin to channel it through the area of the break or fracture. As this chakra makes contact with the bone, it will stimulate the calcium production of the body and begin to mend the bone. To mend small-to-medium breaks, it takes one (1) post of concentration, while fractures are usually very quick to mend. Multiple breaks can be mended during the use of this technique as it lasts for a total of five (5) posts or until canceled. Users should beware that, like other regenerations of this kind, the nutrient stores of the patient's body are being depleted during its use, and too many uses of this technique in a short span of time can cause serious damage.

CharactersShow
Character

SasukeRyotai

Post by SasukeRyotai » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:15 pm

She shook her head as she worked, her lips drawn into a tight line as her eyes darted this way and that, taking in each injury again, mentally cataloging it from minor and non-threatening -- terrifyingly few of those -- to downright life threatening and incredibly vital -- the lost arm for one -- in a rapid calculation. As the glow faded, her hand holding the strip of fabric she'd torn from the sleeve of her tunic flicked quickly through seals as well, even as she noted out of the corner of her eye the oddity of Senji's chakra and the extensive seal string he'd used. Her own chakra flowed out over the strip of cloth even as she nodded sharply.

"Pray don't blame yourself. Seeing her state, I blame you not one bit for your reaction. And yes, I'm afraid there's not much I can do for her arm aside from staunching the bleeding," she said, as she wrapped the strip of cloth quickly and deftly around the severed stump, tying it with fingers that danced with long practice through an intricate knot that would not come undone on its own.

That done, she turned her attention to the less severe of the lacerations, a slight bit of fatigue ghosting across her eyes as she took stock of the progress... and how very far they still had to go to save this poor woman. "Between us... we should be able to," she said, focusing once more to sterilize the largest of the gashes she was comfortable working on, one that had laid the woman's leg open almost to the bone. "It's... just going to take... some very serious and quick work, and it's probably going to take a lot out of me." Her eyes flicked up for a moment. "And you, I'd imagine, but as a Jounin, you should be pulling from a larger reserve than me, and thus feel the strain less."
------

Nafan~

Post by Nafan~ » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Senji clicked his tongue off of the roof of his mouth in exasperation as he realised the true extent of the injuries. He could feel through his chakra the movement of the woman's bones as the pieces slowly but surely travelled into position through her flesh. The magician was taking his time on each break, carefully taking hold and guiding the pieces past blood vessels so that they did not cause more damage. As they clicked together, he began the strenuous process of promoting the bones growth. Achieving six weeks of healing in a single moment took a lot of concentration and energy to do right, from both Senji and their patient.

"I don't think I can heal it all. With so much damage, her body won't be able to handle the strain of recovering it all at once. She'll die." Senji reported, half to himself and half to Saiga. "I suggest you start stitching the larger wounds, I'll seal over that arm to prevent further major blood loss, but after that.. well after that we'll have to hope she can pull through."

Senji moved around to the other side then, lifting his hands from the patient's body. With another string of hand seals he applied his golden wreathed hands to the woman's mauled stump. He stared down at her with sad eyes, filled with regret over the pain she had suffered and the pain that he could not prevent her from suffering. As if it were his fault, he felt the weight of the burden she would have to carry.

The technique Senji had cast began to stimulate the skin cells on what remained of the arm, causing them to duplicate at a magnificent rate. He couldn't see for the bandaging, but he could feel the skin slowly grow over the severed limb, sealing within the woman's precious blood in a smooth round nub that would seem barely natural. Neither scar tissue nor a full arm, the stump was nothing that could have been created by the passage of time.

Once it was done the magician had to step back and sit in one of the bed side chairs, beads of sweat rolling slowly down the side of his face. "This is all I can do. The rest is up to her. Thank you for your assistance." He said with a tired sigh.

CharactersShow
Character

SasukeRyotai

Post by SasukeRyotai » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Saiga sucked in a breath, sliding slightly out of the way as she flicked through yet another series of seals, and began working across one of the larger gashes, trails of chakra knitting and stitching the laceration closed, pulling it slightly to tighten it up.

Each stitch was accompanied by a slight slump to her shoulders, that grew with every additional stitch. But she didn't stop, working through several more of the gashes, until Senji stated there was no more that could be done. She took a step back after finishing the last stitch, and then slumped against the wall, her hands beginning to shake and twitch. "Dammit... That..." She shook her head, running one hand through her hair, and lifted her eyes to Senji. "I'm... just glad I could help... I really don't think I'll be... much more help right now, though," she mumbled, holding her hands in front of her as they shook. "That took a lot out of me."
------

Nafan~

Post by Nafan~ » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:20 am

Senji stepped over to Saiga and placed a hand on her shoulder comfortingly. "You used all that you knew to help keep her alive. You did well Saiga." Senji reassured her with a smile. With an endearingly tilted head and a warm expression he lead the girl quietly from the room and back to where he had found her. "I am just glad that we could stabilise her quickly. I don't really have a lot of medical knowledge you see, I'm more interested in the ninjutsu itself rather than actual medicine. That's why I needed your help." Senji explained as he walked, trying to take Saiga's mind from the patient and on to a positive topic. Also, in order to genuinely praise her for her job well done.

As they reached the room, Senji released Saiga and sat in one of the chairs awaiting her to do the same. He figured they could chat for a little while, especially since they had just worked together to save somebody's life. "We made a pretty great team." Senji commented conversationally, beaming at Saiga over the desk.

CharactersShow
Character

SasukeRyotai

Post by SasukeRyotai » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:11 am

She smiled faintly, allowing Senji to guide her back to the front room of the clinic, giving a soft nod at the thanks that were offered. "Well, while I do have access to the jutsu, my mother ensured - even before it was certain that I would even be a Genin - that I had a solid grounding in traditional medicine."

Crossing the room, she lifted down several packets from a cabinet behind the desk she'd been at, staring at each for a long moment, before returning all but one and retrieving a teapot. "Including this little gem. It's a restorative, but it also has an added effect. For someone like you or I, it relaxes so that the natural flow of chakra can replenish itself more quickly. I can't say for certain if it's an incidental effect of the ingredients, or if it's actually something that could be refined and capitalized on."

She glanced back over her shoulder. "Would you like some?" she asked as she set about sifting the leaves into the pot of water, setting it aside to steep before finally settling herself into a chair. "We did at that. I... I'll admit, I was nervous at first. I'm not normally here alone when something major like that comes in."
------

Nafan~

Post by Nafan~ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Senji raised an eyebrow at the tea as she poured it for herself. "Yes, well, please tell your mother that I am very grateful for her dedication in instructing you. Without it, that woman may have died." Senji commented, moving closer to sit down at the desk on the side of the room.

"I would love some, thank you." He replied, mulling over her description of the tea as he took in its aroma. It smelled vaguely of mint, bringing a smile to his face. He loved mint. "I wouldn't have guessed you were nervous. Things like this are typical in war time, and you handled it exactly as you should have."

Senji waited in silence for a short time, speaking only once Saiga had brought his cup and he had taken the first sip. "Saiga-chan. Do you have a lot of interest in medical... ninjutsu?"

CharactersShow
Character

SasukeRyotai

Post by SasukeRyotai » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:27 pm

She handed over another cup for Senji before sitting back down again, taking a moment to just breathe in the steam from the tea before focusing on his words. "Believe it or not, yes. As I said, this is my first time handling something that major alone. Well, as the only staff member currently. My mother is out visiting a couple of old friends, as their daughter is sick, and the other two staff are... I think they're out on mission. They've been gone a while, and my mother asked me to help cover."

She set the mug down, staring into it for a long moment. "I do. While the normal, medicinal methods are good, sometimes they're... just not enough. The normal medicinal methods, for instance, would have said to help ease that woman's passing." She shook her head. "But even with my rudimentary knowledge of such jutsu, and with your - obviously much greater - knowledge in such things, we were able to save her life."

She shook her head, a faint smile crossing her lips as her eyes unfocused for a moment. "It's one of the reasons I wanted to finish the academy. I mean, I'd seen what medical jutsu could do. And... I've always hated seeing people die so needlessly."
------

Nafan~

Post by Nafan~ » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:34 pm

Senji placed his own tea on the table as he saw that expression on Saiga's face. "I see." Senji replied. The magician himself had seen more death than he'd had any desire to see. In a time of civil war, they had all seen it. It was saddening really, how easy it was for life to be lost.

"Saiga-chan, I do not strictly follow the doctrines that you would identify as a 'shinobi code' or such things. I consider myself more like the magicians and mages of old, a small sect from a time before ninja dominance over the teachings of such things. We go much more in depth into the nature of these magics produced by energies like chakra, and I would like to invite you to study with me. If you would like." Senji asked politely. He wanted the girl to come with him, and understand the fabric of the world through the lens of magic, or chakra, whichever she chose to call it. "It will be not all that different from what you have known in the past, but I believe that with my tutelage you can reach great heights."

CharactersShow
Character

Return to “Kumogakure no Sato”