Upon Spires of Radiant Light a Shadow Ascends to Heaven

Hayete/Haruno

Das Kirb
User flair: .001%

Post by Das Kirb » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:49 am

Haru walked the bridges that connected the various platforms that weaved their way through the mountain's peaks of Lightning Country. The towering spire that housed the Kage's abode loomed in the distance, casting it's shadow across the land in the morning's rising sun, rays of light cascading unto the verdant grasslands below. It was at such a sight the great man stopped simply to observe the gentle beauty of it all. It felt like not so long ago he'd gaze upon these lands with sheer delight, seeing the shadows and light dance off each other to create a brilliant swirl of colors with the emerald or golden grass. Now it seemed the shadows hung more somber and sullen where the golden rays simply pushed them back, retreating into the mountain's bosom for shelter from the burning brilliance. Hayete, the Kage that took the literal throne of all of Lightning, was that light. Unfortunately, as much as he'd like to he had to turn away from the shadows and stare into the blinding fire.

With each step a memory returned to him. Memories of training by climbing the spires then running down the other side only to see who could climb the next even faster. Memories of the war that ravaged these lands and far away as all he could do was sit by and watch. Memories of fathers without daughters, sons who's mothers had been put to rest forever, and a star that shone like the radiance of their own sun who was squelched by a madman who orchestrated his downfall. As a single person looked upon the face of Haru, they would see his eyes were misting. Long had he wished to be rid of this world's agony as it had thrust itself upon him, and once more he was being called into it by the siren's song of duty by a light that only banished the shadow.

Several hours Haru walked from his secluded hut far from the village until he now stared at the large doors that barred the way to the Kage's throne. In those hours he had run the gambit of joy, sorrow, rage, and doubt. A thousand times he wondered what he was being called to duty for. The war was past and the people had their heros and villains. The temples were being maintained dutifully and the medics had their hands full but were more than capable of mending the wounded. A sorrow filled thought came to him in thinking of being requested once more to fill the role of personal guard, or worse for the lord of storms. Hayete was no great evil. He had done many great things in the time following the fall of Kumo's shinning star. But the pain of seeing that man where his brother once stood was like a knife twisting in the back. But, orders were orders. And knowing that, he steeled his resolved, and knocked upon the great doors.

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Post by Taiga » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:45 am

The tower was mostly clear now- he had relieved all but select staff for the day in celebration of their hard work. Using the opportunity however he had summoned a guest to his place. A guess Hayate was not looking forward to the talk with, but it one he could avoid no longer.

Hayate had been holding such great burden- he knew truths the people should know but they were truths the people were not yet ready for. Though the civil war had ended a few years back there were still so many scars within the hearts of his people. If the secrets were to get out unification would fail and the country would burst out once more into war. This was the game that Banri had played- the wellbeing of Lightning Country was the hostage he used to keep the lips of Hayate, Senji, and others who did his bidding sealed... but the Kage had been shouldering all the truths for too long. There was someone who deserved to know the truth. Exiting the great tower and into the artificial cavern of Akino Peak the teary-eyed Kage stepped through the park. He had always dreamed of Raikage but it was never supposed to be like this and he could never be the man of hope Akino had been. He was just a soldier. A tool being used, according to someone else's plan.

The Raikage took pause upon the chirping of the birds and steeled his resolve putting on a mask. The same mask he had on to most of the public- he had to be there hero even if that was a lie. Straightening himself off he would return to his tower. He would arrive back at his office shortly before the knocks rattled the door and his guest finally arrived.

He would attempt to call out the guest's name but find his throat was locked in fear. His nerves were like lightning itself and as nothing but air escaped his mouth a bead of sweat rolled down his forehead. He composed himself, cleared his throat, then called out.

"Kyoukan Haruno, please, come in."
Last edited by Taiga on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Das Kirb

Post by Das Kirb » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:14 pm

Kyoukan, Haruno would hear the kage's response and immediately his heart sunk. The sound was resplendent and terrifying to his ears but also confusing. It was almost like there was pain within the voice, sorrow and loss mixed with a thin layer of professional confidence. It was like too much paint being spread too thin across a canvas that consumed the pigment in darkness. With a soft and gentle push Haruno opened the mighty door, and beheld just a man on the other side.

The room was magnificent if simple. It was a room that Haru was all too familiar with as he and Akino would spend many hours just meditating on the goings on of the village and country. It was a room that Akino had sat in when the nation tore itself apart and Haru could only provide simple comfort to his brother. Now it ws a room that held a similar resonating star who's light shone brilliantly. But that light was being suppressed. The flame was low and fragile. Seeing Hayete in such a state made him approachable. It triggered an instinct in Haru that caused him to wipe away the mist in his eyes and approach wordlessly. He found formalities in such a situation wrong, and instead extended a hand to the Kage, allowing the fear to subside as all he saw was a man, not his brother's replacement.

"Nakajima, Hayete. . . Thank you for calling me."

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:39 am

Hayate was doing his best to keep himself composed as the giant Haruno entered his room. His hulking larger-than-life presence dwarfed even his elder brother Akino but as Hayate's eyes inspected the man before him a soft similarly, one assumedly most siblings had, began to creep forth until before long Hayate couldn't see anyone before him except for Akino. The Raikage stood from his seat shaking his head and freeing himself from the illusions and games his mind played on him almost programmatically reaching for the outstretched hand before him. Ever since becoming Raikage he had shaken so many hands, but this one. Well, it was like shaking hands with a Ghost.

And that was exactly where Hayate's hand went with it the moment it met Haruno's as his mind drifted off to a distant memory as if some energy had passed to him from Haruno.

Thunder and lightning pierced the sky. Jounin lay dead all around him, the village in ruins. Hayate was only in his pajamas. Blood seeped from some cuts and scrapes but he was otherwise in good condition. Before him was Akino hand outstretched to Hayate, barely standing. This was the night that Raijin, released by Banri, had reigned hell upon their village.

Hayate panted as he tried to defend his lord and pull him from the rubble of a thousand stones. Akino turned his head slightly to look at Hayate. "I'm afraid you've wasted your time." he said weakly as his hand reached out for Hayate. "I'm already finished. I don't have enough chakra to heal wounds this severe." the Kage said between coughs as suddenly an immense power-filled into Hayate.
"I'll use the last of my chakra to give you a little help.. protect the village.. the village."

Hayate pulled himself back to reality only to find himself holding Haruno's hand, golden energy emanating from his body as the starforce surrounded him. He extinguished it and bowed, walking away from his desk and to the side of Haruno- the two figures a stark contrast. He'd relived this memory a thousand dreams over and no matter what he did he could never fix it.

Unsure of how to explain what had just transpired he opted for a theory.

"I guess... it recognizes you, Haruno... Thank you for coming..." he would say hoping to move past what had just happened. Neither of them needed to relive what happened to Akino- and even worse what Hayate did to him after the fact in order to save the village. He would never be absolved of that guilt.

"This... will not be an easy discussion but as our village enters a time of peace I feel it is appropriate to talk about what happened." the Raikage said, slightly stammering as his eyes looked down. It would have been so much better if they could leave the confines of his office for this conversation. To be in the cool, crisp mountain air of Akino peak. Unfortunately, this was the only place Banri did not hold influence- one of the only places Haruno and Hayate talking would not attract the Black Ops agents who hid in the shadows behind every blade of glass, inside every cave, and around every corner of their village.
Last edited by Taiga on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Das Kirb

Post by Das Kirb » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:59 am

It was cruel agony that Haru clasped the hand of the legendary Hayete and all that filled him was pain. He squelched an urge to squeeze the hand and merely looked into the kage's eyes and there he saw a swirl of emotions that told an infinite story. He witnessed the sorrow of a man who'd seen and done things in the moment he would do differently now. He witnessed the weakness of a man who'd tried so hard to be strong. And he witnessed the shame of regret, even if it was the only choice at the time. All feelings he'd seen before, and would know again. This humanized the person that had taken the seat, but the sudden reaction cemented it.

The radiant light of Kumo's brilliant spear emanated and pierced the shadows of the Kyoukan's heart. Seeing it here again sent the giant into a spiral of memories and phantoms. Before him was no longer Hayete, the banisher of Raijin and shatter of borders. Before him was Akino, Kumo's radiant light and the sleeping dragon himself. It was enough to make the big man take a step back in sheer astonishment and remembrance. A step back in the material, but another life time in memory.

The skies split open as the storm raged with the fury of an unhinged god. Each blinding flash of light smote another unfortunate soul before the cacophonous boom shook the foundations of the world. Haru held his chain aloft, using it to hammer back the bolts of searing light and force them somewhere that wasn't the three wounded he claimed his charges. With each searing bolt a flash of pain rocked his body though. He was getting weak, his knees already buckling under the effort and his reserves running ever lower. In the distance he could see the radiant brilliance of Akino, battling the cantankerous god. He hoped the clashing brilliance would overcome the booming novas. Somewhere in the back of his heart, he knew the outcome though.

As the Kage reclaimed himself so too did Haruno. He covered his eyes with a massive hand, wiping away tears that had formed. Instinctively he looked towards the great door that had shut itself behind him and scanned the room, having been put on edge. Finding themselves alone, hopefully, he allowed his shoulders to slump again before responding.

"I fear the picture is painted clear as ink on paper. Akino perished fighting a mad god, unleashed by a mad man. You claimed his light and finished what he was unable too. . . But there is always more to a story than romantic heroes and villains. I've hid away from it long enough, what truly happened on that day Hayete?"

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:29 am

The strength that came from Haruno handshake was in many ways therepuetic. It was a firm but kind shake that emanated the goodwill of the monk, and had it not been for that, he would have probably drifted in his emotions and memories for far longer. He was nearly ready to suffer the full explanation of his truth when the astute monk chimed in, aware to some degree what had transpired without Hayate having even needed to say it. Haruno was, much like Akino, a highly observant man keen to the emotion of others. He truly had a level of unparalleled empathy with living creatures.

"I fear the picture is painted clear as ink on paper. Akino perished fighting a mad god, unleashed by a mad man. You claimed his light and finished what he was unable too. . . But there is always more to a story than romantic heroes and villains. I've hid away from it long enough, what truly happened on that day Hayete?"

Like ripping a band air off Hayate was grateful for Haruno's brevity. It would make the conversations that followed easier to say, though still difficult to stomach. This also broke the ice and had managed to stop the shaking and stammering of the slightly younger man- the Raikage. His eyes slowly returned from dead and cold to something warmer as he took a deep breath.

"You've hit the nail on the head- I first had my suspicions following the attack. Years prior I had fought Raijin before, albeit in a much weaker state, when he was summoned from the corpses of several missing Black Ops operatives in Rune Country. At the time I was answering to distress signals and though it nearly cost me my life I was able to stop the summoning and destroy Raijin." The word Black Ops had a very strict emphasis to it- it was clear that Hayate was implicating them in the mess. "On the day Akino fell, Lord Banri was absent as was Lord Syaoran. The strongest Bannin of our village just happened to be absent on the moment they were needed most." Hayate said as his grip on the edge of his table began to bare down a little bit too strongly, the wood splintering beneath his fingers.

There was rage beneath all the trauma.

"I was too weak to defeat Raijin a second time, even with the last of Akino's chakra and the Starforce itself I was just a Jounin.... I did a horrific thing and in the last gambit selfishly used his body to bait Raijin into a cave loaded with tags and explosions I had set. It worked- but I had defiled Akino's body and inadvertently terraformed the mountaintop. I was supposed to protect everyone but that day the rubble probably killed countless souls..." he wanted to continue but he could not, as tears welled at the corners of Hayate's eyes and he began to choke on them.

He tried to regain his composure, but this was the first time he had ever opened up to anyone about the truth.

"I knew-" he sniffled, holding back the tears, ... I knew... the other Bannin would not be coming and if Raijin wasn't stopped the death would be greater but I can't help but think I made a choice I shouldn't have, no matter the outcome I should have bet on our people beating Raijin." He would need to recompose himself for a moment after this, before delving further into the topic.
Last edited by Taiga on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Das Kirb

Post by Das Kirb » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:51 am

Haruno got on his knees and sat, almost meditative as the kage spoke. He listened to the words said and absorbed them. He took in the tone in which they were said and considered it. He even took in the language of this man's body and understood it. With each piece of information spoken the Kyoukan guard had to consider what they truly meant while battling back his own reaction. It was no easy task as the defilement of his brother's corpse had been a suspicion, but not confirmed in all these years. Radiant hatred began to seep through him before calming wisdom told the big man to wait, and hear out the man's words. As the story formed, so too did understanding that allowed the hatred to be squelched. It'd be dealt with later. For now, there was another goal.

Haruno allowed the air to grow still and silent, giving the radiant star a chance to reclaim himself. He thought about the great spire that had sank into the waves that day and Hayete was right. Many had lost their lives in such a horrific display of destructive resolve. During the days following the cataclysm, Haru himself had reclaimed many of the bodies and laid them to final rest. He had attempted to ease the pain of the families and settle the restless spirits. Such agony was unknown before then, and never again seen since. He considered this as he measured his words.

"Despite our rights not being observed his body was laid to rest and the fault can't be on you. The situation left you little choice but to act, and even though it caused a lot of pain, there was far less than if Raijin had been allowed to run free. The wounds will heal, now lets continue when you catch your breath." Haru's voice adopted a deep but calm tone that couldn't help but be laced with his own anger and pain no matter how he tried to mask it. However, he meant every word he spoke and wanted to foster healing here, as lashing out now would only cause more pain.

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:48 am

There was a knot in Hayate's throat as his eyes looked at Haruno, begging him for redemption. He couldn't speak as the trauma washed over him. Frozen his gaze looked down to the desk as the man before him left his seat, kneeling and then finally sitting in a meditative state. Hayate was not a stranger to emotion- he could read a room and he could tell too this elicited dark feelings within Haruno, but yet, the Monk calmed the storms that might have lied within and offered a firm, logical response to his emperor. Hayate's eyes gazed between Haruno, and the table, and finally, as the monk forgave him and spoke waves of relief washed over the Raikage, and yet, he still felt heavy for the deeds he had done. Hayate stood from his chair and walked to the window, looking out it.

He could see the scene unfolding again- the flashing lights and thunder atop of the mountain, as if it was happening live outside the window of the spire. Hayate's body faintly glowed with golden energy, as he moved his hand to a fist, squeezing with all his might in his grip before his strength diminished and his hand opened again, shaking in the air.

"Aye- and I think he knew that when he passed this power to me." Hayate said as he turned back to Haruno, his back to the window. "The Starforce strangely carries a feeling that I can't place, but that feeling becomes stronger near you, Haruno. Perhaps it's something left of it's previous host." the Raikage said solemnly as he made his way towards Haruno, and would sit cross-legged near him much like kids used to sit on the dirt playgrounds of the academies in their generation.

"Can you understand how it would feel to think you were making your own decisions, living your own life..." the Raikage said, abruptly, as he spoke about himself, "Only to find out that every thing you had ever done. Every mission. Every thing was to someone else's plan." the Raikage said with hints of rage burning in his eyes. "The Nakajima coup on your brother. My academy years. My promotions to Jounin, and even the very missions I was sent on... It was all to Banri's planning, and I was a pawn to Banri every step of the way."

The Raikage was seething with anger.

"Syaoran. Yubiko. Banri. Strange, wasn't it that the defence of our village beyond the kage fell to the hands of a Jounin the day Raijin attacked. Strange all the banning were gone. I'm sure you knew something was off, but others were too busy grieving the loss of their star and families to think." the Raikage said as he inferred strongly that the very event itself was of Banri's doing- with all the village Bannin complicit in his plans. "I gave him the civil war he wanted. I was his tool in ending it, and I continued to be his tool up to the moment he placed my name forward for Emperor."

Hayate paused, leaving time for Haruno to interject before continuing.

"I know many secrets but I fear I cannot rid this village of Banri alone. I haven't the strength." Hayate said as his eyes looked straight to Haruno. He had come clean, but now, he had something to beg for beyond forgiveness. He would beg for a help in bringing justice.

"I can't let Banri and his Black Ops have his way ever again."

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Return to “Kumogakure no Sato”