The Old Guard

Kabu/Chi

Kabu

The Old Guard

Post by Kabu » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:54 am

It was a weird day for Hitomi. Katashi was off at his apprenticeship and she had found herself bored but also in need of some quiet time. She normally adored company and loved the hustle and bustle of the village but today she didn't feel particularly like being around all the noise and so had decided to take a walk. It had led her away from the central areas of the village and towards a more remote region, one untouched by civilization and rarely visited by people. A location she and her sister had stumbled on many years ago on accident and had kept a secret as best they could.

It was a small clearing dotted with rocks and fauna, a large pond in the center. It was rather isolated, largely surrounded by a mountainous forest, but that helped lend to its beauty, or so Hitomi herself thought.

She let out a sigh as she slipped off her boots and sat at the pond's edge, dipping her toes into the water. The birds were singing and crickets chirping but it was otherwise fairly quiet.

"Ahh, this is truly what I needed." she spoke quietly to herself as she stared off into the distance, humming all the while. She wasn't sure when she had last felt so much at peace.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Nakano Kiyomi - #8E47AD], Nakano Ayaka - #0C1C8C
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Karagata yamada - #CE1126, Makura Ayame - #7251BC
Kabu's Test Thread

Das Kirb
User flair: .001%

The Old Guard

Post by Das Kirb » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:04 am

This clearing had become one of several locations Haru had come to visit almost as regularly as the shrines that dotted the mountain's sides and depths. The serine grace that it exuded was relaxing in a way few other places could compare to. Here the goats could come down from their cliffs so steep and find respite with the cool waters that bubbled up from the mountain's chambers below. Here the flowers grew almost untouched by the trampling of careless feet, often avoided to preserve their peaceful colors. And here he would come to be alone with his thoughts when he was tired of staring at the four walls that were his self appointed prison. Haru put away the book he had been drawing in, attempting to capture the wonder of the gods creation but only getting frustrated at his lack of skill. Instead he pulled out a small flute as he was about to play. A voice stopped him though.

Haru didn't move but was surprised at having a visitor here. This clearing was difficult to travel too and most didn't find the effort worth while. However, he did lean back to look upon his company, finding a demure woman who'd clearly traveled many roads before. He thought about speaking up and striking a conversation, but decided against it. Instead he took small joy in simply remaining behind his trees and bringing the flute to his lips and starting a soft melody with long droning crisp notes. He'd play slow and quiet, only gaining in volume until he was sure she could hear, but not once speaking or moving from his rock.

Kabu

The Old Guard

Post by Kabu » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:25 am

Hitomi's ears perked up as they picked up the sound of a melody, the woman tilting her head. Surely she was imagining things? It was a perfectly lovely tune but who on earth would be playing a flute out here? It became gradually clearer however that it was not her imagination as it grew in volume. Who though? The only ones she knew of who could play such lovely music were the Jinrai and she knew them to only be stuck up snobs who would never come out here.

Finally she turned her head, smiling softly at the sight of a giant of a man. Rather surprisingly she could practically feel a peaceful aura emanating off of him. So he was the source of the lovely melody she was hearing. It seemed that she and her sister weren't the only ones fond of this place. While surprising, it wasn't unwelcome in the least. She had felt a need for solitude but in the end the allure of company was just too great. Even when she felt like being alone she was still sociable at heart. Whether that was a good thing or not was best left for another time.

For a moment she closed her eyes as she looked back towards the distant horizon, content to enjoy the melody as she relaxed. It really was quite lovely and she hated to interrupt too soon.

Eventually however... "That is quite a lovely melody." she called out, gently smiling as she looked over towards the man. "I never thought I would meet another out in a remote place like this."
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

Das Kirb

The Old Guard

Post by Das Kirb » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:34 am

Haru continued to play briefly after she spoke before allowing the gently rhythm of the melody to fade into distant chaos and the music to dwindle. He withdrew a cloth from his pouch and began to delicately clean the instrument before once again withdrawing his notebook and allowing himself to turn and look at the woman who spoke to him. Retrieving a pencil he began to draw her.

"Thank you." he said in a deep but soft voice, "I thought music fit the moment and would help you rest. You've clearly traveled a long road to get here."

Kabu

The Old Guard

Post by Kabu » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:07 am

"Why, thank you. I'd say I have, in more than one sense." Hitomi softly spoke. It wasn't often that she had received such a kindness from a stranger but it made her happy. It was the first time in a long while she felt like someone may understand her. "I'd bet you've traveled quite the distance yourself." It was becoming clearer to her that they were likely kindred spirits.. experienced and well traveled, tempered by hardship.

It was fate that had brought them together in this place at this time, she knew it. After all, nothing happened without reason... In her years she had become a firm believer in that. "So, you come out here often?" she asked. All the while she did wonder what he was doing with his notebook but chose not to ask. It wasn't her place to pry. If he wanted to share he would in his own time.

She did however come to a sudden realization, she hadn't yet introduced herself. How very rude of her to forget such basic manners. "Oh dear, I seem to have forgotten to introduce myself. I am Ishiguro Hitomi." she spoke, an embarrassed smile on her face and a blush on her cheeks. Really, how could she be so very forgetful? Perhaps she was more tired than she had realized...
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

Das Kirb

The Old Guard

Post by Das Kirb » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:58 pm

Haru continued to draw and attempted to capture the animated beauty of her movements. Unfortunately the pen was static and could only capture the shadows that played across her flowing clothing, the wind and light creating a chaotic and right display of shading as it played upon every surface it touched. He attempted to capture each hair as it swirled upon her head in its fields of gray and white and darkness. So caught up in his drawing he merely answered her with various grunts, though he absorbed each word spoken. However, when he did speak it was to answer a question.

"Yes. I make this place a stop each time I visit the shrines just east of here. Akino loved seeing the goats scale the cliffs to drink from the spring, I enjoy the quiet here. Since he passed, I also enjoy seeing the goats." it was now he looked up and saw a particularly lively beast scaling the cliff's side before climbing a nearby tree to get at the rich vegetation in it's branches. "I am no one important, Ishiguro Hitomi. Please just call me Haru if you must. I'd go so far to say the pleasure and honor is mine as to be blessed with Ishiguro company."

Kabu

The Old Guard

Post by Kabu » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:28 am

Hitomi tilted her head, visibly confused at the mention of Akino. She had only met with the former Raikage a handful of times and never got to know him very well, something she quite honestly regretted. It seemed to be however that Haru knew him on a much deeper level. There was very clearly a connection there but she wasn't going to pry. She couldn't help but feel though that the connection she was thinking of was more obvious than initially let on, whatever it was.

"Haru it is then, and please just call me Hitomi. There's no need for the formalities." she finally spoke after several moments of silent contemplation, turning her gaze away from Haru and towards the pond as she did. She hummed to herself as she watched the fish swim about, occasionally giggling as they rubbed against her feet.

"This really is a lovely place. It's almost like its own plane of existence, detached from the world." she spoke thoughtfully after several more moments, her expression being one of contemplation. It wasn't often that she thought of these things but at times even she had her moments. "I've been a shinobi for a long time now and have seen so much change, for better and for worse. A number of lives have come and gone and the world itself is vastly different from when the likes of us were children. And yet this place stays the same. It's almost magical, wouldn't you agree?"
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

Das Kirb

The Old Guard

Post by Das Kirb » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:37 am

The big man had started to fill in details about her hair and shoulders after the sketch had achieved a level of completeness that all that remained was filling in. As he did he tried to catch how the flowing robe she wore hung loosely down her shoulders. He attempted to depict the movement the gentle breeze made it do, the odd shimmer that played with the light. Ultimately, though, he attempted to make it appear as if she belonged her, a part of this sacred place as much as the grass and tree in the background. In doing so, he wished to emphasize her words back to her eventually.

"Magic? No. There is no magic in this place that keeps it as it is. Just the lack of people looking to spoil it with either neglect or apathy. Its something I fear about Hayete having done all he has, that places like this will become more common and it will be spoiled. But its not my place to say Lord Raikage is wrong. Just an old monk's place to bitch about it."

Kabu

The Old Guard

Post by Kabu » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:06 pm

Hayate... the boy Hitomi had known and the man who stood as Raikage seemed so far apart. It was hard to believe they were even the same person. She found herself frowning as she thought back to the day of the ascension ceremony, the sheer disbelief she had felt. She had felt happy for him but when she had realized what he had done to achieve the position... she had felt some amount of disdain as well. Both of those things were true even now. It was a painful duality...

Nonetheless however... one other thing was true as well. "I believe in Hayate. I have faith that he's truly looking out for the good of the world, for everyone. Maybe I'm naive and just want to believe the boy I once knew is still in there somewhere." she chuckled dryly, suddenly looking over to the side to spot a pair of rabbits. They were very clearly a parent and child pair. It was a wonderful sight. It brought to mind her own child, the woman suddenly wondering how Katashi was doing over at the shop. As well as the reason why she was still fighting. It wasn't for Hayate or even for the village, though she did of course have a great deal of love the village and would defend it to the death.

"Truthfully, I don't care about what he's trying to do. I'm fighting for my own reasons. I just want to create a world where my son can grow up in peace." she added. "When that's done I just want to retire and leave the world in the hands of the younger generation." She sighed, though it was a one of peace and contentment. She had long ago accepted her lot in life and really, she was okay with it.

"I've always been told I'm still young but I suddenly feel so old." she lightheartedly chuckled. "It's not often that I get a chance to talk about these things. I can't remember the last time I've spoken to anyone like this."
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

Das Kirb

The Old Guard

Post by Das Kirb » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:00 am

Approaching a place he could be happy with his work, Haruno put away his pencil and closed the book. It was now he stood from his rock and allowed the woman to speak as he gently moved the brush away and walked over to take a seat in the light. Hiding any longer would be rude of him and thus he wished to make himself known more clearly. Besides, she was clearly invested in speaking, so his place as a peaceful spirit was no longer needed. What she spoke of however did give the great man a chance to reflect on his own desires for the world to come. With recent revelations after a talk with Hayete, that was in flux once more.

"Age is just how many years you've had to learn lessons a merciful world would teach at birth. But the weight of those lessons and how they're learned can leave you tired. Speak freely, I offer my ear and shoulder for your use."

Return to “Kumogakure no Sato”