Picking the Raikage's brains: A Chuunin's aspirations!

Kanade
User flair: Of a thousand jutsu

Post by Kanade » Wed May 11, 2022 4:04 pm

Chiaki had dressed in her traditional mission gi and had her forehead protector over her heart as per usual. She had a white mask on her face and had just pinned her hair back with a hair clip, bringing her hands back to tie her hair back in a tight pony tail.

She had been summoned by the Raikage for the first time alone in a very long time. She had some jutsu that she wanted to learn from him, and had asked for an audience from him to see whether or not he would take her on as a pupil for his defensive jutsu that he knew. She had been selected by him when he had seen her medical prowess, but she didn’t really have an offensive repertoire. Now she had two lightning jutsu that would help with that, one capable of stunning, and one capable of slicing through her opponents, just in case.

Still, she was woefully unprepared for missions where her combat skills would have to be relied upon. Perhaps that would all change today. If anyone could take Chiaki and make her into a ninja worthy of her Chuunin rank, it had to be the Raikage… right?

She gulped and tugged at the bottom of her nylon mask. It was unusually warm today on the mountain and the high elevation didn’t help with the heat, nor the intensity of the sun. She ducked into the doors of the Raikage’s building and peered around. There were Jounin guards that were all over the place and she had to show the acceptance letter, a few scrawls and a seal, to at least ten people before she was ushered into the waiting room of the Raikage.

It was like any other waiting room, and she fidgeted in her seat as the scarcity of furniture and ornamentation didn’t take away from her thoughts. She had been on a couple of missions since she had become a chuunin, but all of them she had relied heavily on the others in the group. Perhaps he was going to take away her Chuunin status?

If he did that, she would have to participate in the Chuunin exam again if she was to be able to access the jutsu library she had learned in.

No, don’t panic.

She was going to learn jutsu from the highest ranked ninja in the village. That would show her fellow priests that she wasn’t useless. Sure she couldn’t carry as much water, nor was she any good at tilling the fields, and her Kyoukan Kekkei Genkai wasn’t mastered either, but Chiaki would show them.

And as soon as she was able to, she would master the transplant jutsu. She grit her teeth and clenched her fists tightly together. “I will perform the surgery mother, when you have a donor, I will be the one to perform the surgery-cha.” She muttered to herself, staring at the bare floor ahead of her, waiting on the Raikage.

It felt like she was waiting for her future to be decided, and it was all in the Raikage-sama’s hands.
~~My characters~~
Iwagakure Jounin: Kanade Enkouten
Thread Tracker for Kanade (previously Chiaki): viewtopic.php?f=105&t=8345273&p=4197389#p4197389
Kirigakure Genin: Achiyo
Heart Samurai: Kyudo-ite, Kasuri
Sunagakure Genin: Kouseki, Kagayaki
Sunagakure Jounin: Naegi, Aihachi

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Post by Taiga » Fri May 13, 2022 12:36 pm

Today was set to be a rather interesting day. Hayate had arranged to do quite a few meetings with key Chuunin in the village with a headcount totaling close to 100 in all. It was part of a program he hoped would allow him to give some guidance to the rising stars and future generation of his village. Todays meeting was one that especially piqued his interest since he would be meeting with one Kyoukan Chiaki. Not only was she kin to Akino, the former Raikage and the Kyoukan's most famous member ever in history, but she had seemed to become a friend of sorts to his daughter, Mariya, on a rather impressive mission they had recently pulled off. That and to be frank Hayate was a school teacher and a Genin squad leader. He loved working with the youth and ever since he had become the Raikage and then the Emperor of Lightning Country he found himself with very limited time to do so.

That meant things like this were a rare treat.

Not knowing exactly what he would discuss, or where things would go, the Raikage sat peacefully in his office drinking a cup of roasted green tea as he paged through the files for the Chuunin he would meet today. Leaning back into his chair he placed the files back on the table before putting his cup down, rising to his feet, and pacing back towards the window. From the Raikage tower within the artificially constructed Akino peak he could see the eternal spark- a spark of lightning that carried the lightning of Akino, Hayate, and so many more in the village itself perpetuated around the rims of the building giving it a soft golden glow. Interestingly enough, Chiaki herself had requested an audience with the Kage, unwittingly her request coinciding with Hayate's plans to speak with her and the other chuunin already.

Eventually, the guards would let her in, the doors opening to the Raikage's office and revealing the man as he pensively peered out the window of his office, his back turned to the doorway which Chiaki would enter through. Without turning to her, he would merely speak bemusedly "A rather warm day today, isn't it Chiaki? It's fascinating watching the training grounds from up here. So many are giving it their all, day after day." he said before finally turning around to take his place at his desk and motion for Chiaki to take a seat... he would be completely oblivious to how ominous he probably sounded given the girl's anxiety of her loss of chuunin status.

The ice would break soon enough, however.

"I'm pleased to get the chance to speak with a shinobi such as yourself, Chiaki. I saw the reports of your actions fighting the Chisaoogi brothers..." he said as his hand reached for her file, opening it up and revealing it on the table. "The mission reports were quite favorable of your heroism and I must say we sorely lack combat medics, so it is always a pleasure to have strong Kyoukan family members in our presence." he'd pause briefly, then finally signal to her to speak freely.

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Fri May 13, 2022 12:49 pm

Chiaki entered the room and seeing the Kage's robes immediately bowed as he started talking to her form the window. His voice was more muffled than she had expected, so she lifted her head to find him staring out of the window at the training grounds, talking idly about the people training down there.

She gulped hard, feeling the embarrassment waves washing hot over her, driving her to sweat even in this well-insulated and cool building. She hadn't trained at the training grounds in... years? A decade and a half? She made a mental note to go out and train in the training fields since he took such a keen interest in them. That way she might be able to gain his favor and perhaps learn some of the techniques that she so desperately wanted to learn. She had heard that he was able to defend over a thousand people. That when he spoke during times of war that his voice was like that of thunder. That he was able to tame spirits and other kage alike with just a look.

She looked up at the man, and found... well- he was just a man. Strange how people seemed bigger in reputation than their actual physical manifestations.

She fidgeted with her headband as she nodded her agreement with his assessment of her skills, "Heroism was necessitated by the people of the land of lightning dying Raikage-sama-cha." She dipped her head in respect. "I learned a valuable lesson that day, and that was that a wounded ninja of my team means that I am not doing my job correctly. I want to be able to prevent those wounds before they even happen, and I was told-cha."

Chiaki hesitated and dipped her head in respect again towards the man who was the emperor of the whole of her nation, "I was told that you were adept in a means to shield my allies so that what happened to Ren doesn't happen again. His wounds were my fault Raikage-sama, as is that girl's death. I could not save the others-cha-"

She clenched her fists in the futility of it all and grit her teeth, glaring at the ground between the Raikage and herself, "And I don't want to have the people I care about, or anyone die as long as I can help it again. So I wanted to ask you to please teach me some of your jutsu, so that I can protect the people of the land of lightning from anyone who would want to harm them, even if they themselves used to be a part of Kumogakure no Sato-cha."
~~My characters~~
Thread Tracker for Kanade (previously Chiaki): viewtopic.php?f=105&t=8345273&p=4197389#p4197389

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Fri May 13, 2022 10:45 pm

Chiaki was indeed a fine Kumogakure shinobi, and even in this new era, Hayate felt at peace to know that the children of today still held the same morals and ethics he had been raised on. As he pondered what the girl had said, the Raikage soon after realized just how nervous the girl was- he could practically see the sweat rolling down her face and the shakes in her movements. He would let out a calm breath and smile at her, using his body language to signal that she was among friends here. He'd also stand from his seat and instead motion to the coffee table to the east of the office, surrounded by couches and armchairs. It was a more casual setting that placed him and whoever he talked with on equal terms, rather than the desk which gave him an heir of authority. His words would be soft and warm- like honey. "Please, have a seat over here." he said beckoning with his hand from behind as he walked forward without turning back towards the sofas.

"I truly believe every one of us can be a hero in the right moment... but what your team did was foolish." the Raikage said with a pained expression which slowly turned to a chuckle. He'd been young. He'd known war and battle. He'd also played the part of a fool and nearly died several times. Memories of Etsuko particularly came back to him as he looked at Chiaki. Raijin had nearly ended his life as a young Jounin only for Etsuko, the field medic on his squad, to put him back together. And then the names of the others came to him, with each a bitter memory. When you reached 40 as a shinobi your circle of friends tended to be quite small because most of your closest comrades were dead. The Raikage returned to a warm smile trying not to put the girl too off-kilter.

"But the difference between fools and heroes is you picked the right moment to be a fool and your gamble paid off." he said as he slowly clasped his hands together. While it was great to think of yourself as a hero or adept, the truth was everyone was fools in the end and there were fools who got lucky and fools who... well, didn't. "Chisaoogi brothers was a big deal. I'd of sent a jounin squad after they had I known it was them, but your team did well. I've heard from my daughter that you were very responsible for the team doing well- including everyone coming home in one piece." the Raikage said as he stared right into Chiaki's eyes, as if reading the merits of her soul.

"I'm worried though, for you Chiaki. What you're saying is not sustainable or healthy in the long run. You cannot protect everyone and you cannot save everyone... I need you to understand that- because putting all that weight on your shoulders is setting yourself up for defeat. All the legends you've heard of me are true but even I have lost many... and yet I understand your desire, but would ask you to instead focus on what you can do rather than what you cannot." A tone of sorrow would come over the Raikages words. "There is no point in blaming yourself, it'll only tear you apart..." he said as he released his clasped hands and fell back into the sofa.

Chiaki was still too young to realize it, but there were times when sacrifices also had to be made. Where the King had to sacrifice his knights to protect the next generation, the pawns. There were also situations where the king sacrificing themselves meant utter loss, and all of these things had to be decided upon in battle. It was the painful reality of war.

"I can teach you to protect, but know that no protection is absolute." the Raikage said as he stood to his feet and exited his office, once more beckoning with his hand for Chiaki to follow. He'd head to the training grounds.

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Sat May 14, 2022 12:16 am

She sat down on one of the sofas as he motioned to them and tried to settle herself into the comfortable cushions with grace, but sitting on a sofa is never graceful, and she felt, and probably looked rather frumpy on the soft material.

She looked down at the floor, knowing that she had indeed done something foolish, and she had remembered te incident, and the other chuunin Mariya telling her and the others that it was a fools errand. The smell of blood on the air overhung with the smell of feces and burning hair and skin. She was transported back and almost missed the chuckle. She looked up to find that he was looking inward as well, the memories of his past probably either haunting or guiding him to his next statement.

“Yes Raikage-sama.” She dipped her head as he said that she had gotten lucky with the timing. She shook her head at the praise the she received, “I was just trying to make sure that everyone came back from my t-” She stopped as he stared at her and silenced her with a gaze into her eyes. She was scared yes, but it wasn’t of him. It was of failure, it was the fear that she would be too late for her mother, or that she would make the wrong decision in the future about something that mattered on a mission and that she would lose a teammate. She was still soft, and had only been on two missions that resulted in battle.

“Sir, it took every ounce of everyone there to do what we did, and I am not as responsible as the others for our safety, as the others were able to neutralize the brothers-cha.” She continued before he did.

She pursed her lips as he did continue, telling her that it was unhealthy. She dipped her head. Theraveda had said something the same as he had, but in not so many words. Theraveda said that she couldn’t stop what was meant to happen any more than she could change what had already happened. Sure, she could make an effort to influence it, but that the fluid movements of the world were too vast and mysterious for any one person to control, no matter their chakra, no matter their influence.

The Raikage fell back to the sofa in a rather relaxed way that threw Chiaki completely off her mark. She understood that he was human, just the same as her, but to see him this relaxed was a bit unsettling. She tried to visibly relax as well, before awkwardly half-succeeding.

“I will try to save those I can, with all respect Raikage-sama. It is my nindo-cha.” Chiaki nodded to him as he stood and told her that he could teach her to protect. She knew that her barriers were weak, almost laughable. Perhaps the barriers that he knew would help, be stronger, more durable, last longer, or perhaps protect where hers could not.

Chiaki followed the Raikage out of the room and they soon made their way to the training grounds. After being in the cool building it felt right for her to be perspiring a bit, in the heat of the day and the sunlight and fresh air. She breathed deep, not realizing how much she missed the open air. She kept her window open most of the time at the temple, and she was very connected to the smells, the sounds, the feel of the open air.
~~My characters~~

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Sat May 14, 2022 3:15 am

Hayate's eyes narrowed at the girl. He took a deep long breath before letting a hearty chuckle fill the room, then, bowed his head low to her. For the Raikage and the emperor no less to bow before a mere child was an oddity, but something that wasn't unusual for Hayate. He'd long been against the social hierarchy even if he had found himself at the top of it. His bow, however, did carry a deep meaning even if he commonly used it. "I am sorry for my daughter's actions on the mission and hereby humbly apologize for Mariya. I also take this opportunity to thank you, Chiaki, and Ren, for getting through to Mariya even if only a little. I admire your nindo and it is not too far off from my own" he said as he raised his head from his bow.

While he wasn't there for the mission, based on the report written by Mariya even if the girl didn't know it, it was clear to Hayate she was upset with her teammates and had thought them to have been pure fools. Her words in the mission report were "we are alive only by luck"... and while Hayate had to agree what they had done was utterly foolish, at the same time he'd expected nothing short of it. It was possible for both Mariya to be correct and for Ren's decision to go to the village along with Chiaki's to be correct at the same time. Nodding as the pair stood to exit the room, Hayate would continue speaking as they walked the halls.

"Shinobi- with all the chakra and power we have... Shinobi who stand by and do nothing are worse than scum to me, Chiaki." he said solemnly as they went down the flights of stairs and eventually wound up at the training ground. "If it is your will to use your power to save all that you can- then I shall support that goal." he said as he turned to her, leaping back gently to put about 10 yards distance between them. Without even moving and from a standstill, the Raikage's body suddenly lit up with brilliance. The shrill sound of the golden energy sounded like thousands of chirping birds.

"Your file states you are a user of Lightning Release, Chiaki." he said as his eyes turned to her. "Your family member, Kyoukan Akino and formerly the 8th Raikage was an expert at the Lightning Release - Shroud technique. My Veil of Electricity itself is based upon his, but doesn't hold a candle to the true magnificence." the Raikage said as he merely placed his foot onto the ground with slight force- the ground ripping itself to shreds on the electricity before him.

"Akino would use his Kyoukan bonds to spread his aura to his allies. He once did so with me on his dying breath, giving me both the Starforce and his aura... it gave me such power and protection that I was able to stop the lightning god Raijin- a spirit that had killed him." the Raikage said firmly. Chiaki had perhaps learned of this in her history classes in the academy- but the classes were only so detailed.

"Raiton is an incredibly useful element, especially for enhancing your allies." he said, the screeching of his lightning armor throughout the training grounds causing everyone to pause, and slowly, others to gather around to watch the Raikage and the chuunin.
UsedShow
Raiton • Veil of Electricity
B-Rank Ninjutsu
By channeling throughout his body, Hayate will deliver an electrical charge into the Starforce chakra that surrounds him adding an additional layer of protection to it. This causes a 30cm cloak of golden electricity to form around him. Beyond gaining the passives of Raiton, this electricity is extremely volatile and burns through anything it touches with a strength equal to Hayate's [Control], even causing the moisture in the air or airbourne contaminants or particulates around him to vaporize on contact. This effect lasts for 6 posts

Casted at 50 control.

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Mon May 16, 2022 9:59 am

Chiaki almost lost hold of her breathing as the Raikage, the emperor of the land of lightning bowed to her. She sat there, stunned. “I’m sorry, your-?” She started, but then waved it away. There would be time for that question later, as she bowed her head in return, formally accepting the bow. “There is no need to be sorry for the actions of another-cha.” She gave him a smile that crinkled the edges of her eyes and lit up the room for a small breath.

Chiaki listened to the speech as she roamed the halls and made their way to the training grounds. He leaped back ten yards to make distance between them before lighting up the whole area with a bright light and the sounds of a thousand chirping birds. She had seen the thousand chirping birds once in the training grounds but never like this. It enveloped his whole body!

“I do know the lightning release-cha.” She nodded in the affirmative and looked as the ground churned beneath him with the gravity of his step because of the lightning aura that radiated from him. It was like a roto-tiller, with ten times the force. She just knew, by looking at it, that her own didn’t hold a candle to his own, which meant that it wasn’t even a snuff of a blown out candle to her ancestor’s Jutsu. She grit her teeth and nodded as she heard the story from him.

There wasn’t much talk of the Kyoukan that was the head of the village in the temple that she served, unfortunately. The priests and priestesses, when he lived in the village, had little care for the affairs that he had with the village, protecting it, or fighting in far off wars. They kept to themselves, practiced their chakra control and increased their chakra pools, and generally just made their happy way around. It was a god that killed her ancestor? Her cousin? Her cousin ancestor?

She nodded, “I was trying to develop some of my own techniques to help improve their awareness, perhaps even their speed and durability. So far I only have a technique that is in the common jutsu library in Kumogakure no sato, the Lightning Armament technique-cha.” She wove a quick couple of hand seals, which must have looked like they were as slow as molasses to the Raikage and a pair of wings erupted from her back before forming a breastplate over her chest and flowing down like platemail linked with Raiton chainmail beneath. She placed her raiton-infused hand over her face and a lightning helm appeared and she stood before him, letting him see how big a difference there was in their strength. It was like a kitten trying to play with a tiger’s tail.

She shouted over the twin jutsu, "I am also trying to learn Jikiton, as it would have come in handy during the last mission-cha."

Jutsu used at 24 controlShow
*Raiton • Lightning Armament
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After the correct hand seals are performed, the user coats themselves in a thick layer of lightning. This armour of lightning forms near instantly and requires [Control] Strength to break. During this time, the user's physical strikes apply the Raiton shocking effect.
~~My characters~~

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Fri May 20, 2022 10:16 am

Jikiton would of come in handy? Heh. Story of his life. Anyways, it was always a slight amusement seeing the reaction his auras garnered from those around him when he decreased his limiters and went all out. While Akino had been legendary for his lightning cloak defenses and ability to buff his men, Hayate on the other hand had been legendary for his cloaks offensive power- all five of them. Rather than being a shield he was a spear, and it pained him that Akino hadn't lived to see him mature as he had. Part of Hayate always wondered what it would have been like to fight side by side, with two generations of legends. The ultimate sword and the ultimate shield. Meanwhile, it seemed that Chiaki had... the underwhelming helmet?

He suppressed his need to giggle at her show but shot her an inquisitive look. Was that the same lightning permanent from the village's standard techniques?

"Most people just coat themselves in pure energy like me- you on the other hand have done quite a marvelous job of crafting and molding that chakra to be... a beautiful set of armor, though, I might add, that'll make you a bit slower." he said as the lightning rolled off his body, forming a clone of himself. The clone put its hands together as Hayate's lightning armor extinguished, the sound of chirping fading echoing through the massive man-made cavern until there was nothing.

"Functionally, a sheet of lightning is generally the same, so it's better to go raw and get speed. Defenses cast too slowly help nobody." he said as he comically put his hands together as if to form a shield as sheets of wind formed gales, slowly, starting from his feet. Before he could finish a bolt of lightning shoot off from the clone's hands and lopped his right arm clean off, as it hit the ground. The crowd gasped in horror. He smiled, picked his arm up, held to the stub, as suddenly the skin and muscle intertwined, fused over, and reattached itself... regenerating clean as if no damage had been done, save for his now missing sleeve. He flexed his hand and arm as if he was waking it up, then continued until gales of wind formed around him, causing him to float slowly in the air, surrounded by his armor of wind.

"Jikiton, Raiton, whatever. I think it's a good idea to focus on your armor and also use it to "buff" your allies. There are different buffs to consider too. Speeding folks up is one thing, as is making them stronger, but for example, the shields I give can turn anyone into a lethal weapon." he said as he approached Chiaki and placed his hand on her shoulder, the electricity nullified by the wind, though it didn't hurt her- as his other arm rose up in the air and moved with ferocity. He was using kinesis to move his aura and control it. The aura would then safely eject off him and wrap itself around her for a moment, causing her to levitate.

To be careful he'd of casted this aura with a lot less power, but it'd be enough that Chiaki could rip up the ground and certainly enough that when his clone, which suddenly lurched at her hit her, it instantly was ended to bits, going out with an electrical squeal and "poof".

"How bout we design some jutsu for you to try and train- I don't have time to train you myself today, but we can plan out your key technique- your key signature move. I think we can really work on your aura game."

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Fri May 20, 2022 1:21 pm

She nodded, knowing that her way was a bit slower, but the last time that she had tried to just create a cloak was… disastrous. She had given herself a nervous tick for a week because she hadn’t been able to keep the Raiton from going into her skin. It felt like a hundred thousand beetles crawling all over her.

Luckily she couldn’t hear his thoughts about her underwhelming helmet.

She nodded at the slower assessment, it just helped her think of it like a garment, rather than just a sheet of lightning since she didn’t know how it was supposed to hang off of her or anything. She continued to study his Raiton and realized something. He didn’t weave hand seals. She was actually more floored by that than anything. And compared to her Temple Priests and Priestesses, he was so fast! It wasn’t like there was anything that was slowing him down. He just thought it and it happened.

She opened her mouth to ask him a question when his arm got blown off.

Just… blown off.

By his clone.

Chiaki’s mouth gaped, as did some of the onlookers and she started to run toward him when he picked up his arm and reattached it like it was nothing. She stopped dead in her tracks, a look of worry, turning to confusion, then to fascination. “How did you do that-cha?” She looked between him, and his arm, and then back to him.

Then she turned her attention back to what he was saying. It was a good bit of advice, to be sure. Speeding people up, perhaps a shield that would give them extra strength… She nodded along and asked “What about a shield that can heal them while it is active. That would have been very beneficial for Ren in the last fight. He was a sitting target for the opposing ninja during the last mission, as you well know-cha.” She blushed, as he had read all of their reports it seemed.

“Wow..” She looked at the ground and stepped on the air as if it were the floor. “This is a neat experience-cha.”

She nodded eagerly, “Yes, let’s design some jutsu.” She took out a scroll and a pen from her side-pocket, “What are some ideas that you have besides those that have been voiced so far?” She had written ‘defensive justu, fast, instant, able to give to other people. Perhaps Kyoukan tethering to shield others?’ She showed him her scrawled hand-writing.

“And what do you mean ‘my aura game’-cha?” She smiled a brillant smile at him and giggled, “It’s enough that you’re taking an interest and helping me develop my skills. Thank you very much-cha!”
~~My characters~~

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Sat May 21, 2022 9:14 am

Man, he never got tired of the arm trick. Sometimes it came in handy too... no pun intended. His memory drifted to when he and Banri engaged Lady Murakami and her men at one of the pivotal points of the Lightning Country Civil War- known by many historians as the Kumo Civil War given the village's heavy involvement. That time, Lady Murakami, aided by one Raijin, blew his arm off but he used it as a bomb. Heh. He grinned ear to ear with the same, stupid shit-eating grin he'd always had since he was a young boy... though the seriousness of his role had often left him unable to have it. Truth be told he even had techniques to program his fingers to move, such that they could execute actions should his arm be severed. Hayate truly was underrated in the annals of history when it came to his ability to invent jutsu. After all, he had mastered all five elements.

The Raikage canceled any jutsu he had before dropping himself to a crouched position on the ground, prepared to lecture and use his head a little.

"I have an unreasonable amount of chakra, decently high endurance, and a birth defect that causes chakra to pour out of my tenketsu at all times. Couple that with the Starforce power I inherited from Akino and well. My body heals like crazy fast. Even faster if my limbs can be reattached. " he said as he flexed his arms. "There are many ways to go about this kind of healing though- and I am certainly not the best shinobi alive at that- for that you'd want to seek out Saigo, a hermit who lives in Konohagakure..." Hayate said trailing off.

"Anyhow, uh... I got a lot of jutsu ideas I suppose but when it comes to protecting your team I think auras will give you the most bang for your buck without going for outright firepower yourself, or outright defense. I imagine if you get real good at Iijutsu and Raiton you could even do sorta a, shocky thing. like fizzle shock yanno, restart peoples hearts who just died." the Raikage said as he gestured with his hands and made sound effects. He'd sound increasingly stupid the more he spoke. Perhaps this was why when people thought of ninjutsu experts of scholarly men he wasn't always at the top of the list- and likely Hito of the sand was ranked higher. Hayate was more a natural genius with good instinct than a genius... genius.

He scratched his chin.

"Uh, I'm of the mind that it's better and more chakra efficient, to avoid injuries... so beyond auras, there's things you can do with other elements to help keep everyone safe. You mention Jikiton- maybe you can make a repellent magnetic aura around people that causes kunai, shuriken, and other metal based projectiles common on the battlefield to propel off of them... oh wait that's another aura."

Truth be told, he had a massive arsenal of jutsu but they were all predominantly of the killing kind. His finger scratched at his chin with a little more speed as his thoughts went deeper.

"What about ninpou that just yanks on your bonds. You could yank people out of harm's way by retracting your bonds back into you. Heck, I dunno if the Kyoukan can put bonds on inanimated objects but that sounds kinda useful period." he said before standing back up.... he could keep going on, but honestly it was probably better to help her design and master one thing for now.

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Sat May 21, 2022 11:20 am

The spectators finally decided to leave after murmuring words of approval at the two of the shinobi. They sounded like the buzzing of flies to her ears that were only for the Raikage for now. He explained his ability to heal and her interest fizzled out. Sure it would be useful for her to know if she were ever in a tight bind, but that wasn’t her focus for now. Better to table it for the moment.

“Saigo.” She nodded, “I’ll see if he has been able to transfer that power to anyone else besides himself." She scrawled his name in the margins and wrote ‘regeneration?’ next to his name.

“Outright defense would be my first choice-cha.” She nodded at him as he talked and explained the jutsu that she could use. “An external defibrillator-cha?” She motioned with her hands and channeled a bit of raiton into them, making a popping noise, “Like this but more widespread right-cha?”

“I wonder whether or not that would work for rehibilitative purposes and if it would be able to be used to revitalize people who are able to be stabilized long enough for my jutsu to work on their wounds. The real problem that I have is that I can’t make something from nothing. I need some way of making cells or borrowing cells from the surrounding wildlife or organic life-cha.” She nodded. She had thought about the process of defibrillation and knew that it wouldn’t help someone who had passed on from bloodloss, or disease, or any other such injury without actually helping the process that made them die in the first place.

The human body was a bit more complicated.

“I’ve been thinking of a technique to make everything stop within inches of my comrades like kunai, shrapnel, and the like from hitting them, so that they can use the projectiles themselves.” She clutched her free hand and stared at it, “I don’t know whether it will work, but maybe they could catch them and toss them back with their strength. If I focus on the defensive aspect, ultimate defense that is, then they could focus on offense-cha."

“Yanking on my bonds such as like a puppeteer does-cha?” She made a couple of hand-seals and tied a tether to him, yanking on his arm, her own came up. “This is the problem so far with that-cha.” She shrugged, “Maybe like a Jikiton jutsu to root me in one spot so that me and my ally don’t both go flying-cha?”

Then he mentioned linking herself to inanimate objects and she nodded, “I was thinking about that too. Maybe if I could figure out what Kami reside inside certain objects I could tether myself to them-cha.” She put that idea down as well and sighed, “What do you think about a dojutsu for seeing the ailments of my allies in battle, and outside for that matter?” She looked up at him and shrugged, “I was thinking that would help with a more pinpoint accuracy for my healing jutsu-cha.”
~~My characters~~

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Sun May 22, 2022 12:34 am

With the training fields thining out as everyone returned back to their own training, walks, and whatever it was that brought them there, Hayate used the silence and more to speak a little more frankly. He nodded. "Even if he cannot- Saigo is probably the strongest medical ninja to have ever lived... dark past or not." Saigo, for all the atonement he had done, was still an ex-criminal who had experimented on people and done horrors... though, in Hayate's elder age he had learned to be more forgiving. After all, many viewed I'm in a similar light for having kicked off the war. At times dark things were a necessity, and for all the bad Banri was, he had driven that lesson into Hayate.

When the girl noted outright defense was her first choice, he smiled softly with a nod. That was precisely the best way to be. She also was showing her own natural genius. Indeed, Chiaki was a bright girl and likely, along with Mariya, Ren, and Furumi... the future of the village. Hayate listened as she took his ideas and went with it, though explained it wouldn't be enough in itself. He couldn't argue that and it made sense.

"Perhaps it can be used to stimulate muscles, even offensively. I wonder if you could make someone walk themselves out of danger for example, despite being knocked out, by utilizing the electricity to move their muscles for them..." he said with a slight chuckle. "I'm not sure anyone has hit that level of control yet- but now I'm wondering if maybe I should try that jutsu myself!" he said as he snapped his finger creating a small spark, then, waving his opposite finger, moved it around in the air like it was plaything, before letting it shoot up into the sky and fizzle out into the ether.

Her talk about organic cells however interested him.

"I've heard about some mysterious sage mode- something about natural energy and drawing it in from our surroundings in nature. It's mainly legend and myth... well, my prodigy Hayasu had been able to use it at some point and became a monkey sage but who knows where he is, and to be honest, I'm not sure the extent of his abilities or whether or not his "natural chakra manipulation" lived up to the legends or the myths since it's been a decade since I last saw him..." Hayate said with a pained looked. When Hayasu needed him most he had been gone- never there for him. He had pushed his own student away.

His sad look lasted a moment before he pulled himself back to the current conversation.

"I don't think doujutsu can just be made easily- but I also believe the Kyoukan can do that with bonds already, so maybe you could just increase the power of your bonds to get that? Honestly though, the thing I am most interested in is definitely you're jikiton idea. That is actually extremely clever." he said with a smile. The idea of stopping then allowing her allies to reuse her opponents weapons as their own was very, very clever. This was definitely a Chuunin to keep an eye on.

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Sun May 22, 2022 5:42 pm

"Dark past-cha?" Her curiosity was piqued. She hadn't heard of Saigo before, as she was living basically in a temple, under a rock, and didn't have any knowledge of the current events of the village hidden in the clouds, nor of the countryside that wasn’t in the immediate vicinity of her temple. There were people that went to and from the Temple that brought news, but she wasn’t particularly fond of large crowds, nor of visitors so she kept herself cloistered away from news of the time.

“I think that might be alright to use, especially when my comrades are unconscious, the problems that I have with using a jutsu like that is that usually the body shuts down in response to either lack of nourishment, energy, or to protect itself from hurting itself more than it already is-cha.” She motioned to her leg, “So let’s say I pass out from the pain of a broken femur. Now, theoretically I could make myself walk on it, but it would only create bone-spurs, bone fragments, I might puncture the femoral artery and die of internal bloodloss-cha.” She frowned, her eyes cast to the paper in thought. “But in my case on my last mission, I had just used too much chakra. My body was still able to move. For those teammates it would work-cha.”

She grinned at the Raikage, the grin of a cheeky Chuunin who thinks she knows everything and thinks that she understands the world, “If you were to use a jutsu like that you would have to make sure that your raiton chakra was pinpoint accurate, that you understood not only the function of the muscles, but their limitations. If you use too much chakra, you just make them spasm, could tear the tendons clean from the bones, and then you’re just left with a completely immobile person, who will need to undergo some sort of surgical procedure to make sure that their muscles are stapled or sewn back into the bone, or even glued back in. I’ve seen the procedure-cha.” She paused in her rambling, making a worried frown, “Sometimes the staples don’t hold, or the muscles are too taut to be put back into place, and the person is left completely lame or without use of their biceps. That is the type of damage that I want to be able to heal-cha.”

“I was thinking of trying to figure out what the commonality between all the cells are, so that I can reform the nucleus into other cells, think about it. We are able to make cells for our skin daily, we are even able to regenerate great parts of ourselves, but the cells that are precious, that control the CNS or central nervous system are rare, we only produce like 1-3 a day, and over the course of our lives they can become damaged or unresponsive. To be able to make those cells and transplant them from the things around us, like grass or other plants which will not die if we borrow from them, or the leaves from the trees? That would be something marvelous and miraculous-cha.” She pulled at some grass, tearing it in half. The grass wasn’t any the worse for it and she held it out for him to see, “This would represent the entirety of the CNS cells that you are able to produce in about a hundred years. Just this handful of grass." She blew it away and it danced on the wind.

“I don’t think they can be either, but I am able to get vitals from my tendrils already-cha.” She made a couple of hand-seals, “You’re at 100% for your pulse, bloodpressure, and other physical vitals, but at about 50-80% for your mental health-cha.” She rattled it off as if she were saying that the sky was blue or that the grass she had pulled up was green. She looked back down to the paper and then back up to him. “So do you want to help me with at least the basic basics of Jikiton?” She grinned at him, a playful and youthful smile playing on her lips and dancing behind her eyes.
~~My characters~~

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Mon May 23, 2022 10:50 am

Hayate showed a pained look as the girl deeply examined the just. It turned to a smile with his eyes closed as his hand ran through his hair. He was never much of a medical ninja- never really had to be once he had gotten the whole regeneration thing figured out. His mind drifted slightly to Etsuko- he remembered how she had saved his life before he had the powers he did now, though, and couldn't help but see a little bit of her in the young budding medical ninja before him.

"Of course, no jutsu is perfect in every situation." he said simply, but in a way such that it was not a dismissal of Chiaki's comments. "It's good that you consider the context and situation for the jutsu you make- it is my opinion that jutsu are merely tools in our toolbox- how we use the tool is up to us. A screwdriver is certainly made to screw things, but it stabs well too and you can give people quite the bonk on the head with it." he said smiling as he looked Chiaki in the eyes. "A technique made to get a desperate movement out of your comrade, even with a small risk, could actually also be a weapon for you. Give it a little more juice or too much, or too little precision, as you've noted, and you turned a "move a limb" into "explode someones muscles", but it's all the same jutsu." he said as his eyes began to glow.

If there was anything Nakajima Hayate of the Cloud excelled at, it was his fame for using jutsu in uncanny, unconventional ways to accomplish his goals, not the goal of the jutsu. "Remember, you drive the tool, not the other way around." he said as he shifted to sitting Indian style, his legs becoming slightly uncomfortable from his prolonged squatting.

As the girl went on at cells, he'd merely blink with a confused look. "I won't lie, you lost me there. But it sounds cool and smart." he added with a smile. He leaned back, looking up to the sky.

"50-80% is a 30% chance of being pretty off, yanno kid?" he said chuckling before responding to her last question. "I would, but I don't know Jikiton, I'm a master of the five basic elements and that's about it.... I suppose I could probably learn Jikiton or anything if I really wanted, but I've never found myself needing more."

He paused then gave a menacing look to Chiaki.

"I can throw kunais and stuff at you though while you practice if you want."

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Mon May 23, 2022 7:57 pm

She nodded at his metaphor of a toolbox and then chuckled, “A scalpel can be used as a knife, but it makes a poor one if you have a regular knife-cha.” She drew on his metaphor and nodded, “I get that you can use it for one thing or another, but I am more worried about helping my comrades stay aloft, than keeping the other ninja down-cha.” She bit her bottom lip and it trembled a bit as she remembered how she had almost been killed by the swing of the bow against her staff. The whispers of the reverberations she could still feel in her hands.

“I wouldn’t mind a jutsu that could stun someone for a long time-cha.” The regret that she had to make this request was thick in her speech as she murmured it before the Raikage said that he could throw kunai at her. She beamed at him at that.

“Actually that would help a great deal-cha!” She giggled, rolled up the scroll with her scrawls on it and then planted her feet and her staff in a defensive stance. Performing the same hand-seals she made the electricity jump to life and then tried the ones for the Jikiton Barrier Jutsu. She would try it, but it was better safe than dead when trying out a new jutsu. Perhaps she could get the hang of it, but she didn’t want to die just in case she miscalculated and the jutsu failed altogether.

It also wasn’t like the jutsu were mutually exclusive.

"Please work-cha." She muttered to herself and kept her eyes out for Kunai through the thin veil of her lightning armament jutsu and hoped that the Jikiton barrier was there as well.
jutsu usedShow
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After the correct hand seals are performed, the user coats themselves in a thick layer of lightning. This armour of lightning forms near instantly and requires [24] Strength to break. During this time, the user's physical strikes apply the Raiton shocking effect.

and maybe...

*Jikiton • Barrier
C-Ranked Jikiton Jutsu
After performing the required hand seals, the user will place their hands on either themselves or one of their partners and form a repulsion magnetic field which extends for [control/5] posts at [control] strength. Any metal objects that move within 10 cm of the individual will be stopped harmlessly at 10 cm. With a touch or transferral jutsu, one can use this jutsu on another person.
~~My characters~~

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Tue May 24, 2022 1:12 pm

"Either way if I dig that scalpel deep enough in someone's neck with enough force they're dying..." Hayate said with an almost unnerving smile. To him while there would always be "optimal" applications for tools, with a bit of creative use, you could get pretty damn near a similar effect with even sub-optimal ones. The application was more important than the implementation, so to speak. After all, he'd done things like kill demons with kawarimi and all sorts of hijinx in his youth. He had to ponder what Chiaki said however for a bit, as he realized perhaps she was missing an important lesson on combat. While it was noble to want to defend and heal her allies and keep them alive there were times in war and battle that the best defense was a strong offense... as much as the phrase made Hayate gag.

"In times, as a combat medic, you'll come to learn that the best defense is sometimes a good offense. Rather than trying to keep everyone alive and safe, which can be an uphill battle, sometimes you are in a position to end a threat to your team directly." Hayate said looking at her sternly. "Neutralizing the enemy before they can hurt the others is a very valid way of keeping "everyone aloft" I'd say."

He'd seen the reports of the mission, and frankly, the group had been lucky. If one of them had been more offensively geared things would have gone a lot better. Ren was probably the most adept at Taijutsu but was careless and lacked strategic thinking or finesse. He'd been beaten up pretty soon, and this forced Chiaki to focus her efforts on keeping Ren alive. While not incorrect, this meant Chiaki was in a loop where she was spending lots of chakra to take care of folks while their problems didn't necessarily go away, since Ren, lacked the physical strength to truly down their opponent. Had Ren been stronger it'd of been viable but that wasn't the case. Meanwhile, Mariya, though tactically sharp and a skilled sensor was not such a great combatant. She was a support role and beyond bukkijutsu didn't have much to offer. Again, if push came to shove, she would be yet another liability for Chiaki.

Furumi well. She had some promise yet as a combatant, but with two A-rank individuals at their necks the group would have to do better. Hayate moved to put distance between them but would keep lecturing.

"I heard the larger one beat you up quite a bit first- I only imagine that if you had some techniques that could be used in a destructive matter, the fight could have ended earlier. Chakra Scalpel for example is used for surgery but can cause nerve damage and muscle injury quite easily to targets... it's not the point of the Chakra Scalpel technique, but with high chakra put into it and control it becomes a very powerful tool for destroying foes that would otherwise pose a threat- especially given people will always tunnel vision the medic..." Hayate said as he took his position and drew a kunai.

He'd toss it, not at her of course, but to the side enough that if her technique didn't work it wouldn't injure her. The first toss would be relatively weak, of course, just to test the waters.

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Tue May 24, 2022 10:02 pm

Chiaki thought that was rather unpleasant for him to be talking about, digging a scalpel into someone else’s neck, but that was why he was Raikage she supposed. He was the biggest, scariest ninja out there, and was able to protect his people with the might that he touted as being ‘a good offense which is better than a good defense’. She didn’t quite understand the mindset behind his thinking, but she shrugged anyhow and waited for him to toss something at her.

The kunai sped toward her general direction and she put up her hand to stop it, and it just… hovered there. She looked stunned and laughed a hearty laugh from the bottom of her gut. So this was the jutsu that she was developing, amazing! To be able to give this to her teammates, she would make them unstoppable!

She gave him a devious grin behind her lightning coated-self, “Alright, let’s see if you like this-cha.” She wove a couple of hand seals and knew that she wouldn’t be able to hit him with her kunai that she was going to throw, but would at least try it anyhow.

She gripped the kunai with her hand, and drew out another one with her other hand and let them go, they became sheathed with raiton chakra from the Raiton: Conductor jutsu and she rushed in.

While she moved, she wove some more hand seals and aimed for where he could dodge to, left, right, and up with three small shots from another jutsu: Raiton: Stun gun. Then she grabbed her staff, coating it in the same Raiton: Conductor electricity and took a sweeping swing at his legs. The kunai were aimed at his arms, the stun gun jutsu was a contingency, and the swing would collide with him if he ducked out of the way. She had all the directions covered.

Actions spoke louder than words, and all of the things that she threw at him, she could take care of with her tether, which was still active on him, she had planted it on him, and hadn’t snapped it yet. It was harmless, but almost irresistible, once attached, to get rid of. Sure, the Chakra Scalpel technique could be a deadly technique, but she wasn’t fast enough to use it in combat, she would have to get captured first. So she would rely on her jutsu, and her planning to get ahead of the Raikage.
jutsu usedShow
*Raiton • Conductor
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After performing the correct hand seals, the user will coat a weapon they are holding in Raiton electricity for 5 posts. This causes the shock effect to be produced on any contact with a target, while also granting blunt weapons the ability to cut through skin to produce shallow wounds. This also works for thrown weapons, however if the projectile remains out of contact with the user for more than 2 posts the technique will dissipate early.

*Raiton • Stun Gun
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After performing the correct hand seals, the user will channel Raiton chakra to two of their fingers. They will then be able to fire up to three total bullet sized balls of concentrated lightning from their fingertips. These bullets will travel at [Control] speed, but will not have any physical force. Instead, they will apply light electrical burns similar to a sun burn and will apply Raiton's shocking effect.
~~My characters~~

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Fri May 27, 2022 12:31 pm

Hayate of course hadn't thrown the kunai at even full strength- but surprisingly still, Chiaki had managed to use her technique to stop the kunai in the air just as she had originally planned and intended. The corners of his lips pursed at the realization of her jikiton technique. That was a fine shinobi in the future. He wouldn't waste time, however, as he reversed the polarization of his own chakra- an ability of his that was not well known. If she wanted to train holding back too much would only do her a disservice. He was unsure of her sensory proficiency with the tethers yet, but if her tethers could feel anything at all related to chakra at this stage they might be able to notice something was different, though she would likely be unable to put a finger on it. He'd channel his chakra.

As the projectiles came forward and the girl did, charging and creating a seamless strike from all fronts, Hayate would slam his foot down on the ground, timing it such that a wall would pop out with tremendous speed, but slightly less force, tanking the shots with ease and also preventing her staff and her from going forward more. Most likely the walls positioning, from below where she would be, would cause her to fall back or at least have to retreat to avoid taking the rising wall to the face. The Raikage on the other hand would leap backwards. It would be strange that despite Raiton having a type advantage against Doton, and the wall not being cast at such a strength, would have no problem dealing with the Raiton projectiles/

But that was his Yang-Yin chakra.

The Raikage would next channel before slamming his hand down, causing the earth to shake violently. He would first aim to take away Chiaki's mobility. What would she do next? Use the tether? Use more Jikiton? The Raikage would keep trying to put her on her toes to give her a variety of situations to respond to. It was strange though how suddenly she had gone into gear.

Hmph. She's got that spark- doesn't she.
UsedShow
Ninjutsu • Yang-Yin
D-Rank Ninjutsu
By channeling chakra into his body, Hayate reverses the flow of his chakras setting them to Yang-Yin, causing his elemental jutsus' weaknesses to polarize.

*Doton • Wall
D-Rank Ninjutsu
After performing the correct hand seals the user will form a solid stone wall up to 5 meters away from them at [Control] speed. The wall has [Control] strength and is 3x3x1 meters large.[

Doton • Shindo 1
D-Rank Ninjutsu
After channeling chakra into his foot and slamming it on the ground, Hayate will cause the ground around him in a 5 meter radius around him to shake violently at [Control] strength for 4 posts. This can make hand-to-hand combat significantly more difficult for those trying to get close to him. (20 strength)

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:05 pm

Chiaki formed a couple of hand seals and yanked the kunai back out, recharged them with her still active raiton jutsu, and then held her staff in place while she jumped off of it like a spring board above the wall, pulling it along with her with her Jikiton draw ability. She was going to have to expend her chakra fast in a furious flurry of blows, but she would have to also make sure she was close enough. She started to descend and loosed five of her kunai which screamed with her chakra down towards the Raikage, making a five point circle around him, then she wove some more hand seals, shot three Raiton bullets at him and descended, using her staff like a polearm and keeping it coated in Raiton.

Chiaki was sweating, she hadn't expended this much chakra in a very long time, and she remembered her friends in the mission. it was imperative that she had to land at least one blow, but save enough chakra to heal it. She would prove that she was worthy to stand on a team with Mariya and the others. As she descended like an arrow shot from a bow, her staff and body covered in Raiton, the projectiles spread around in a ring, making sure that he wouldn't be able to run anywhere.

"Faster, faster-cha!" She grit her teeth and willed herself to go faster, trying to yank on the tether to pull herself towards the Raikage, but then she thought of something else. She gripped the staff tighter, used it to propel herself faster, tugged on the tether and hurled herself at the Raikage. The staff would make as much a dent as her, she realized as she sped toward him, fist clenched, eyes open, cloaked in Raiton. She could always yank the staff back with her, but for now it was just enough to land a hit, even a small one, on the emperor of the land of lightning.
jutsu usedShow
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After the correct hand seals are performed, the user coats themselves in a thick layer of lightning. This armour of lightning forms near instantly and requires [24 (old thread)] Strength to break. During this time, the user's physical strikes apply the Raiton shocking effect.

*Jikiton • Draw
D-Ranked Jikiton Jutsu
After performing the required hand seals, the user will reach toward a metallic or magnetized object within 10 metres of the user. The target will be drawn to the user at [24l] speed, but can be held in place with [24] strength.

*Raiton • Stun Gun
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After performing the correct hand seals, the user will channel Raiton chakra to two of their fingers. They will then be able to fire up to three total bullet sized balls of concentrated lightning from their fingertips. These bullets will travel at [24] speed, but will not have any physical force. Instead, they will apply light electrical burns similar to a sun burn and will apply Raiton's shocking effect.
~~My characters~~

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:27 pm

Surprisingly, the earthquake seemingly did nothing to deter Chiaki or make it harder to stand on her feet, though Hayate could imagine that it still did limit her to some degree.

For Hayate life tended to feel extremely slow, and the greater he opened his senses and perception, the worse it was, as each second felt lifetime to him. He could tell something was happening the moment he felt the chakra welling up around the young woman through his sensory, and then, as his eyes seemed to move on their own darting around and following every flex of her muscles or the movements in her clothing, his brain pieced together the trajectories of her paths rapidly. His perception, as with many of his attributes, was simply inhuman. Pulled onto the balls of his feet, he would silently decide his next move as he prepared to defend against the flurry of layered attacks from the girl.

Her strategy was sound, but the complexity and sheer amount of attacks she would attempt to pull off would only further widen the gap he had to respond, his preceptory advances notwithstanding. At the same time, he began to feel a strange sense of aggression coming from the young woman. She was but a child trying to prove herself in his eyes. Perhaps the mission had left more of a psychological effect than he had imagined.

This child is going beyond just studying- they are fighting to prove something.

The Raikage would reverse his chakra one more time, to the typical Yin-Yang polarization of most shinobi, and while on the balls of his feet, release a massive gust of wind from his body, not strong enough to stop the fight but strong enough to nullify all the Raiton jutsu that had just been flung his way, and negate the lightning armor that coated the girl. He'd use his perception and large speed advantages not to end the fight, but instead to make sure that his moves were not lethal, and to ensure that he would could stop his force and motion at the right moment to avoid harming the girl.

Spinning gracefully with the wind itself, he'd raise his arm to the classic and iconic lariat he perfected, moving right into the girl who had now yanked herself off her feet and into him with her full force, such that he would tank her mass on his bicep of his lariat but ultimately drive her into the ground.

To some, it would be mean, but to Hayate, it would be the best way to mentor people. If, for her own ego, he was to let her easily land blows, he would do nothing to help her grow. It was the realization of inadequacy and the burning fire at your feet to get stronger after all that forged the world's finest shinobi.

UsedShow
A-Rank
Lightning’s Shadow • Watchful Eye
A-Rank Discipline Taijutsu
Possessing immense perception capabilities, Hayate is cognizant of even the most subtle details around him, to a point where he can even pick up on the slightest tension changes in an opponent’s body allowing him predict their movement before it is complete or even read what someone is writing by the way the top of their pencil moves. At times his eyes seem to move on their own will, rapidly tracking an amount of movements equal to his [Instinct]/3. A downfall to this technique however is that while his eyes may be aware of movement, his body is not always capable of knowing and keeping up.

Lightning’s Shadow • Erratic Movement
S-Rank Stance Taijutsu
Utilizing his extraordinary speed, acrobatic prowess, and perception in combat Hayate takes a "prancing" stance similar to that of a ballet dancer. This stance allows him to stay light on his feet never quite touching or staying on the ground for long while also keeping his motion "perpetual" and allowing him to move in extremely sudden and precise movements. Simply put, those attempting to strike him or defend against him are caught off guard by his sudden movements and their attempts will suffer a -6 speed debuff against his movement. Those with high level techniques and skills in perception can be less perceptible to this.

Ninjutsu • Yang-Yin
D-Rank Ninjutsu
By channeling chakra into his body, Hayate reverses the flow of his chakras setting them to Yang-Yin, causing his elemental jutsus' weaknesses to polarize.

Fuuton • Shroud of Gales
B-Rank Ninjutsu
By channeling throughout his body, Hayate will infuse air into the Starforce chakra that surrounds him adding an additional layer of protection to it. This causes a 30cm cloak of golden winds to form around him. The wind itself is strong enough to carry him just slightly in the air, Hayate floating roughly 1m off the ground. The tremendous force of the wind swirling around his body creates a tornado like effect in his immediate area. Objects will be pulled in and then rapidly ejected before they can reach him at a strength of [Control]. This tornado effect prevents particulates or contaminants in the air from reaching him. This effect lasts for 6 posts.

Lightning’s Shadow • Lariat
B-Rank Maneuver Taijutsu
Similar to a clothesline maneuver, by holding out his arm and bending it at the elbow making an "l" shape rather than leaving it straight, Hayate will produce more tension creating a far more rigid strike. He will then attempt to strike his opponent so that his arm wraps around their upper chest and neck, delivering a tremendous amount of force in the process before throwing them off their feet and into the ground. When performed from a stand-still or with in short distances, this technique holds more than enough power crush a throat and break some of the bones in the upper chest with ease on impact alone, not even considering the damage from smacking into the ground. When delivered from a running position and longer range, the move reaches it's truly terrifying potential, the momentum aiding Hayate's Lariat and allowing it to be delivered a [Speed] strength. For most mortal men, the full running Lariat is easily capable of snapping spines and completely caving in the neck and upper chest.

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:25 pm

Chiaki's jutsu rained down around the Raikage, but then he just... blew them out. With a puff of Fuuton chakra. She was speeding towards him at a rate she couldn't stop and wove some hand seals to try to stop the Lariat, She crashed against the man's arm with the force of the speed at which she was moving, and was driven into the ground, the air knocked out of her and spots starting to cloud her vision. She might lose consciousness from the unmitigated knock on the head. What a foolish attempt to try to punch the Raikage. She growled, it coming out in a croaked squeak as she lay there, and wove another set of hand-seals. She wasn't going to be able to hurt the Raikage, but she wanted to land one, just one blow on him. She didn't have any jutsu capable of hurting the Raikage at this point.

The jutsu tore through her arm as she channeled every bit of chakra she had left into the final assault, close range, point blank even to try to shoot the Raikage in the leg, chest, and neck with her raiton bullets. She saw an illusory double of the man with the bow, the man that had strangled her in the town. She was going to do better on her next mission, she was damnit!

She hoped that one of them would hit home and he would let her go, regardless, her sweat-drenched body, her ragged breathing, and her consistent cough were enough to put her out of the fight for a good long while. If the jutsu didn't land, then she would have died on the battlefield, and she knew it. Tears swam behind her eyes as she coughed once more and hiccupped, trying to keep the frustration and bitterness out of her failure. Sure, her opponent was the Raikage, and sure, her jutsu were mere kittens in the thunderous presence of the Raikage, but she was a Kumogakure no Sato Kunoichi, and she needed to get better for all of her comrades, her family, and more importantly her mother.

"I give up-cha." Chiaki said, covering her eyes with her elbow and sighing, attempting to hide the bitter tears that streamed hotly down her cheeks and one drizzled into her left ear. "You're too strong-cha."
~~My characters~~

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:43 am

The Raikage managed to stop his lariat before it would do any real damage, his bicep gently gripping around her neck. The force of the blow wouldn't decpaitate her or crush her windpipe like the full-force move generally did and instead was likely just to cause her to cough a little and throw her to the ground- which was what happened as she won't down, breathing raggedly and coughing. It wasn't long until Hayate's heart stung, as he stepped back and watched the scene unfold before him. Chiaki crumpled in a sweaty mess, sweat, or... maybe it was tears? ... Rolling down her face and into the fabrics of her mask. In such a short time she had used such a large amount of chakra and energy, going past her limit and overdoing it. It was foolish. What was she trying to prove? That she could expend her energy quicker? Yet, as Hayate watched the girl he sensed great pain. Great torture.

Chiaki did land a hit that day- she landed a direct hit through the Raikage's heart.

I'm a real shit bag aren't I, beating up Chuunin.

Maybe he had been too hard on the young woman. Misread the situation. His mind raced through the earlier conversation and what he knew of her file as it pieced together the clues to understand what was going on- that Chiaki had been grievously wounded during her last mission, but not a wound of the body. No, this was one the medics wouldn't have found. This was a wounded soul. The Raikage stopped, extinguishing all his jutsu as he sat down on the ground and crossed his legs. Was Kumogakure failing its shinobi? Were they letting young men and women come back, in one piece, but broken on the inside? It pained him. They would need to do better.

When the silence set in and the time was right, he would gently speak.

"Give up? Give up on what exactly? Chiaki we were just training... but I suspect in your head this was something else. You were fighting as if you were fighting a ghost... or worse, yourself." he said as he crossed his arms too. Chiaki didn't need to learn to kill or beat people up- she'd get there on her own. She needed mentorship. She needed someone to relieve her of whatever prison she was putting herself in- torturing herself for every ounce of pain or damage any comrade ever felt. For any time anyone did bad on her watch.

Hayate's mind drifted away momentarily. How many had died on his orders, on his watch? How many ghosts did he see when he fought.

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:25 pm

"I was trying to prove that I'm worthy of being a chuunin still-cha." She kept her elbow over her eyes, keeping the Raikage from seeing her red eyes as she started to breathe less raggedly.

She had tried to prove herself, tried to prove that she was worthy of another mission with Mariya and she had done what? Ended up on her back, sweating, and crying, having proved nothing.

"I was trying to show they I could protect the ninja and the people of this village-cha. I need so much more power, so much that I can protect those that are precious to me-cha."
She snuffled, wiping her face and stared up at the sky, her muscles burned, her eyes burned, her lungs burned from the exertion. How could she save her friends, her family with only this measly amount of chakra? This measly amount of expertise?

No, she had failed as a chuunin and was expecting that she was going to have to hand her headband back to the emperor soon. She lay there, just breathing, feeling so weak, helpless, so underprepared for her mother's surgery, her life as a Shinobi going forward, protecting her comrades.

"I'm just a strategist in the end-cha."
She heaved a sigh, "I don't even have the control to make a shield that protects me, much less my comrades."
~~My characters~~

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:43 am

”I know you do not need to hear this, nor will you listen to me but you’re being too hard on yourself.” the Raikage said in a kind, calm voice. He had said it in the beginning of their meeting and he would say it again. Because if she listened to one thing, he hoped it would be that. He turned his gaze to the woman as he placed his hand on Chiaki’s shoulder. ”You were not made a Chuunin for your ability to kill or shield, but for that ability of yours to heal. There comes a point where you become your own worst enemy and your own toxicity weights you’d own.” he said as he removed his hand and stood up, giving a hand out to Chiaki.

It wasn’t just to help her up but it was symbolic.

”You’re a Chuunin of this village and that isn’t going to change anytime soon. If anything, you’re well on the path to Jounin, but please understand nothing happens in an instant. Jutsu are just tools, but the tools only are as good as we are and it takes time to hone ourselves. When I was a Chuunin I struggled to do anything- I leaked chakra like a faucet… I was one of the weakest in the village.” the Raikage’s eyes sharpened.

”That’s why I became legendary in Chakra control. It was a weakness that I had to correct- and it took years. Hell, I was an average jounin too. But with hard work and time and finding my own way I made it. So rise, Chiaki. You’ll be fine.”

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:17 pm

Chiaki stiffly stood up after receiving the hand to help, and slapped the pants of her gi and sighed. She had made a fool of herself, again. Why did she always act the fool when it came to being around people of stature, of standing, of prestige? She had heard him, and had appreciated the help up. She had a bit of shaky legs, “I suppose that I don’t want to let the village down, I didn’t want to let you down, and I didn’t want for Mariya or any of my companions to die or be let down as well-cha.” Chiaki sighed and groaned as she stretched and then perked up a bit.

“Mmmm, do you mind if we went for noodles?” She lifted an eyebrow before getting an affirmative. She moved stiffly towards the noodle shop and talked to the Raikage about his being one of the weakest in the village, she actually wanted to know more about him, about his past, about the man that had become the lightning empire’s emperor.

He did inspire awe, and her, being the twenty-five year old girl she was, couldn’t help but feel her heart flutter in inspiration when looking at the man that had become legendary in his Chakra Control. She had a place in mind, it was a place she had gone with Haruka when she had visited the village, but she wondered whether the Raikage would enjoy the noodles as much as she did. She hoped that he would, and perhaps she could show him a bit of the things that she was working on. She took out some of the spices in her bag and wove a couple of hand seals and wondered whether or not they would be a good thing to show the Raikage when they were eating or whether or not it would be something that she should keep to herself for now.
~~My characters~~

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Post by Taiga » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:10 am

The Raikage crossed his arms and huffed, before placing both his hands on Chiaki's shoulders and looking her in the eye. He firmly squeezed them and in a gentle and kind manner shook the girl slightly. In ways she couldn't imagine, he understood how she felt. And with great guilt for the reason why he understood, he felt a responsibility to the girl...

If only you were here, Lord Akino. You'd have the right words.

Without breaking his intense gaze, he spoke. "The only thing you could ever do to let me down or this village is to lose your spark." he said as he removed his hands and pointed to the eternal lightning that pulsated in a ring around the artificial roof/mountain top in which they stood, and then flowed its way into the Raikage tower. "All that matters is that you try. We are the spark." he said solemnly as he looked at the Raikage tower.

"Our duty is not to win, but to do our damn best, and to make sure the spark keeps passing. There will be a day when even the stars among us fall. What matters is that we give those who come after us a chance. That is the meaning of Kumogakure's great spark." The Raikage said as he nodded, affirming her invitation then waved for her to lead the way.

His mind drifted to that day when Raijin laid waste to the village- to the day when he failed to save Lord 8th, Kyoukan Akino and that day when Akino, above all, put passing the spark first, quite literally in his passing of the starforce to Hayate.

Some day, I too will need a successor, won't I Akino?

Fini.

Return to “Kumogakure no Sato”