Meeting the Colonizers

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Meeting the Colonizers

Post by Taiga » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:47 am

Chihiro had grown fond of Kumogakure, even if it was the capitol of her colonizers. That word had always been touchy to her- hell, she'd been accused of it given her status as the daughter of a Kumogakure diplomat. As she strolled across a long suspended bridge built into the many crags and cliffs of the mountain they stood upon, she crossed over from the academic zone and into the free market. It'd been a few years since the academy walls had become her home; her refuge in a confusing world in a confusing time of inexplicable change. She took a deep breath then took in the aromas of the street food.

Soul Country was her home. But, was Kumogakure now her home too?

Making her way towards a kushikatsu stand she ordered a few of the delectable fried goods-on-a-stick and tossed some coin over the grill and into the jar with precision. The old lady smild- she'd been here before and while they never really talked she recognized Chihiro.

"Arigatougozaimasu." she said as she bowed her head slightly, then took a bite of her snacks, munching away at them as her head ruminated upon what the future held for her. From what she understood she'd be assigned a GDS to join which she'd under take missions with part-time while continuing her education.

But what would that team be like? Would they ostracize her for her origins? Would she be able to connect with them? Would she be able to sort the complex feelings of working for an Empire whose rogue officials destroyed the city she was born in leaving it no choice but to join the same Empire who "saved them" from under the heel of the mad self-proclaimed king.

"Shi-" she muttered as she accidentally bit her tongue, focusing too much on her thoughts and not enough on the chewing.
Last edited by Taiga on Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

HotelBravo

Meeting the Colonizers

Post by HotelBravo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:40 am

Asuka was a busy woman. All of her clothes were essentially the same, by virtue of the fact that she didn’t want to waste time picking outfits during the week. She allowed herself to be pampered by the servants that she paid for out of her own pockets. She was washed and dressed, while her mind had ever been elsewhere - that is on the charges that she had been given as a jounin. It was the responsibility of the Jounin to train genin and to occasionally take them out on team missions, and so she had been given a dossier of genin that would soon be under her care. She wore a white blouse with a leather harness that had pouches for kunai, scrolls, and a few spare pouches in case she should decide to pick anything else up along the way. A black tie, and vest, and then a suit jacket over this, hiding the harness she wore entirely. She had a long pencil skirt with a slit on the side that made combat easier, and a pair of heels that made combat a little more challenging.

Despite her father denying it, she knew that he had wanted a son, but she was always satisfied with being a woman. She hadn’t ever wanted to become a shinobi in the first place. Her true passion were arts and antiques, and it just so happened that with recent times in Soul country many artifacts had fallen into her personal collection. She needed to pick them up before she dealt with the new genin that were in her charge now. Off to the marketplace. There was always a buzz of excitement in the markets of Kumogakure no Sato. It was the capital after all. It was a kind of magnetism that one could feel in their bones. The expanding empire was a place that attracted people, but also was a place that felt stifling to shinobi. After all when had a shinobi ever said praise the Kami for more bureaucracy? If her late father was anything to go by, that was never.

A wagon had arrived in front of her shop with a large person sized crate. Shop was a polite way of putting what Asuka’s trade empire was in the Land of Lightning. This please was essentially a museum, charging entry fees to walk around and view the private collection of Ichiguro Asuka. Inside the crate was a statue from Soul Country that had been shipped here to the store. Asuka did have her own servants handling most of the grunt work already. Her boys were up on the cart and were already in process of lifting the crate off the cart so they could bring it inside. As she stood letting her people work, eager to see the insides she spied a lone genin. It wasn’t just any lone genin - it was one of her genin she was sure of it. What had the name been on the dossier? Chihiro. Gang Hua. ”Miki, please take over, see the statue is brought in and prepared for the exhibit.” She could trust her employees to carry out work in which they had already known what to do. Asuka had just been excited to lay eyes on the actual statue instead of through rough sketches in the correspondence of one of her scouts.

The clack of her heels was audible as she crossed the street to strawberry blonde girl nursing a bit tongue, eating street food. Asuka had to keep herself from wincing - the greasiness of fried food was off putting, and it was very undignified - but when had shinobi ever worried about Dignity. ”Miss Gang Hua?” Asuka asked, she gave a polite bow. ”Excuse my rudeness, I am Ichiguro Asuka, If I am not mistaken I am the jounin you are assigned to. Yoroshiku o negai shimasu. I would be pleased to host you at my business if you aren’t otherwise occupied.” Asuka gestured across the street to the large warehouse sized building. It was elegant and done in a modern style that was out of place among the tower buildings in the capital.
Last edited by HotelBravo on Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Meeting the Colonizers

Post by Taiga » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:12 pm

Chihiro was angrily staring at the left over wooden skewer that had once held the kushikatsu that defeated her lip- plunging her teeth into it and drawing blood. She cursed under her breath once more as she continued onto the next skewer, chowing down, before suddenly she heard her name called. With a slight confusion she wiped her mouth on her sleeve then turned her head around to look for who had called for her, turning the completely wrong direction on the first go. With continued confusion as the voice continued, she looked turned the other direction and planted her foot, before accidentally coming upon a taller women in strange but fancy-all-the-same clothing.

Her eyes followed up the lithe, long legs of the individual until she locked on her eyes, beneath the strikingly straight white bangs of her white hair. She was strikingly elegant and her eyes pierced blue like the chidori of a shinobi seconds before it ended the life of their opponent. Her face was decorated with makeup- all a striking difference to the haphazard ginger girl with a smattering of freckles.

Chihiro's eyes tightened to narrow slits as she peered up at Asuka. She didn't have a forehead protector on her. Maybe she was one of mothers friends?

"I'm sorry Ishiguro Asuka-san, but my mother warned me of talking to strangers in the big city streets. I don't know you, or why you know my name, or why you are asking me to enter your business." she said as she twirled the empty skewer between her fingers then gripped it like a senbon and pointed it to Asuka.

"But if you try to harm me I'll scream really loud and this granny will get the police to capture you." she said with a wicked grin. Her eyes looked past Asuka for a moment to a woman and a group of people carrying a crate, unloading things in and out of a shop.

"What's that?" she said still holding the skewer in what she thought looked threatening, as she cocked her head in the direction of the workers behind Asuka... It probably was more hysterically pathetic than it was cool, but in Chihiro's head, she was a bad ass.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

HotelBravo

Meeting the Colonizers

Post by HotelBravo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 pm

Chihiro’s eyes narrowed, as one does when they perceive a threat or an enemy. A prey animals eyes went wide to improve their vision, but humans and shinobi - their eyes always narrowed when they saw a target. Either prey or a threat. Asuka was neither, despite the fact that the girl had taken a defensive stance. Her stance was… unrefined under Asuka’s calculating gaze. There was little strength in her stance, and it would take only a heartbeat to sweep her off her feet. Confrontational. She liked that, but what she didn’t like was that this would barely be a challenge, and that to be frank was boring. Asuka gave a single amused laugh. ”Where do you think you are girl? The countryside is surrounded by foreign shinobi. This is the capital of the Land of Lightning.” She gestured to the shinobi figures who leapt from tower to tower and from roof to roof across Kumogakure no Sato. ”An odd place for an enemy do you not agree? Still, I do like your spirit. If you’re determined to fight I would be more than happy to oblige and correct any weaknesses in your technique.” Asuka answered. She saw the young kunoichi’s attention drawn to the cargo that was being unloaded at Asuka’s business. An opportunity to draw her weapon. As amusing as it would be to use the ignorance of this young genin against her and show her how many times over she would have died in various amusing and humiliating ways, now was not the time for that, and Asuka preferred a fair fight.

”Off duty Shinobi do not have to walk around in their uniforms with their village symbols in their own home. I’ll forgive your lack of knowledge about this given that you are from Soul country and haven’t been to the capital long. And that…” she gestured to the crate, clearly marked in the style of Soul Country. ”Is some of the culture of your country that I am attempting to preserve in this transition period. Would you care to open it? One of the boys has a crowbar you can use, however, before we do anything else, you will give me a proper greeting, and begin to use those manners I’m sure your mother taught you. I expect dignity and class from my shinobi, and if I don’t get it, I will make your life here a living hell until you learn them.” Asuka gave her just a light browbeating. She would wait for the proper greeting before making her way across the street, pausing to invite the girl to follow her.

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Meeting the Colonizers

Post by Taiga » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

Chihiro contemplated blowing a raspberry at the woman before her, but only knew that would make her seem more immature. Spinning the skewer back into the palm of her hand she chucked it into a nearby bin in front of her and discarded the rest of the empty skewers in her other hand before huffing a little. Everyone here was her enemy. They were her friends too. But they were also conquerors and colonizers who had unfairly claimed her land, even if it was complicated as mother always said. At the Soul of Chihiro was a girl in conflict. Conflict on what was right, what was wrong, and who she was in the world... it wasn't really that unusual for a thirteen year old even if the Empire was training her to be a super weapon.

With her back turned to Asuka, she muttered something under her breath.

"Who does this witch think she is...." she said before huffing, turning around and staring at Asuka. She bowed her head at a half bow, nodded, and then looked at her.

"Preserving my culture- or lauding in the spoils of your conqueror, your highness?" she said in a bitter tone. What a colonialist. "If you truly seek to preserve my culture you'd return all of those artifacts to their rightful place where your people stole them from..." she said as she began to put the pieces together.

From her shinobi? Was the reason this woman knew her name because... this was going to be the Jounin of her Genin Development Squad? Metaphorically digging her heels in the ground she walked up to Asuka, and stood firm. The gears in Chihiro's head spun about this Asuka lady and she prayed for a moment: please not her.

"That sounds like Kumogakure manners for sure- bossing others around and demanding respect you don't deserve..." she said as she shrugged. "So how many artifacts in there were stolen from their rightful owners?"

Chihiro asked, being purely confrontational to the authority figure in front of her.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

HotelBravo

Meeting the Colonizers

Post by HotelBravo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:56 pm

Asuka had never raised children. She had often thought the idea of raising a son would be cute, but this… disrespect. She folded her arms and cooly listened to the young teen’s words. Her misguided beliefs. The temptation was there to physically put this girl in place, but it had been a temptation from the moment she had met her. They were off duty for the moment, so she would let the insubordination pass for now. The problem was - rather than get angry at the challenge, Asuka relished it. The temptation for her wasn’t from a place of anger, but from a place of exhilaration. To test ones strength and might. This girl was challenging her in the here and now, but she was not capable of fighting back, and so the battleground would have to be one in which they would stand on equal footing. Asuka’s face remained cool and collected because she wasn’t angry, just a hint of a smile. She was enjoying this, and she would enjoy later when they were on the clock when she would grind that insubordination out of the girl. Not here and not now though. There was a time and place for all things beneath the heavens, that was her father’s belief and she had come to learn that his wisdom was correct. She could see almost herself in this girl's shoes, and was grateful for the patience of her father for putting up with her.

”I see. You seem to have a misunderstanding. You seem to believe that these artifacts were stolen. They were not. Do you know who sold this to me? The people of Soul Country. What I paid will feed the families of the artist, and in turn that money will provide for farmers when those same artists go to the markets to provide food for their families, and then that money will provide for the farmer, and so on so forth - the land of Soul become richer and more stable from my money. In exchange I obtain a piece of Soul country to preserve and immortalize. I think that is a fair price, and a deal massively in favor of Soul Country.” Asuka folded her arms at the attitude that was being displayed by the young girl. Our memory is a more perfect world than the universe; it gives life back to those who no longer exist. My enterprise is a labor of love dedicated to anyone who has ever fallen in love with a culture that was devouring their own. You may not realize it but I believe we have much in common. ” Asuka began to explain.

”My clan were Nomads before joining Kumogakure no Sato and the formation of the Lightning Empire. We lost part of our culture when we gave up being nomads, but look how the Land of Lightning has changed - We may not be a political clan, but our customs became those of the Land of Lightning, and theirs become ours. We became one people, stronger, and our culture richer. Now if your questions have been satisfied, greet me properly and then apologize.”

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Meeting the Colonizers

Post by Taiga » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 am

"It's very easy to sell an artifact for an unfair price out of desperation when your family is starving. How noble of you to offer money to enrich their lives! Perhaps when the bread line thins in a few months you'll be back to buy some more things?" Chihiro said as she shrugged. "I should thank you for your efforts to preserve our culture." she barked back in defiance. In truth, this woman was not wrong in that her money did indeed help while also maintaining and protecting the artifacts, while sharing them to others. But to Chihiro, wrapping it up as some sort of beneficial act made her wretch. Soul was prospering until the Great Five Villages interfered. The desperation that drove people to sell things so they could provide food for the families and money to the farmers was because the situation the five had put them in.

She saw it no different than poisoning someone than making them pay for the cure while saying "we're helping you see"?

Folding her arms she looked back to Asuka.

"They'll be no apology because you have proven nothing to me that warrants my respect... nor do I think you a saviour to my people for giving them money to save them in a time of desperation you and all the villages played a role in... but I will greet you properly." she said as she straightened up and looked to Asuka.

"Gang Hua Chihiro. Heir to the great Guang Hua family and the diplomat Kyoukan Hiroko..." she said as she paused. "And I am the kunoichi who will build a new Soul Country that stands on equal terms with Kumogakure..." she said with a fierce determination in her eyes.

The blood of Raikages and Soul Country kings ran through her. She would be the bridge to set upon a new age.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

HotelBravo

Meeting the Colonizers

Post by HotelBravo » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 pm

This was great. Someone with backbone. Asuka’s blood boiled, not with anger, but excitement. The conflict she desired. Oh, but it wasn’t enough. She dearly wanted this argument to come to blows but had to get a hold of her self. Control. Discipline. She kept her expression disciplined and smooth despite the strong words from the young girl. The girl had mirrored Asuka’s own body language, folding her arms in defense and defiance. And she was just a genin. She would let her say her piece and introduce herself. It was a lengthy introduction as well - one that spouted about the lineages that she was spawned from - and amusingly she was the daughter of a Kyoukan diplomat no less. Asuka controlled her laughter, the hypocrisy! No matter what this girl did she would never be much of a savior on account of having blood that was tainted with an invader - at least such was the case when it came to her own logic. ”Well met Guang Hua-sama.” Asuka gave a polite bow in response to the concession of the greeting.

”Guang Hua-sama, I respectfully must advise you that if your goal is to build a new soul country, you are going about your efforts in the wrong way. Your arrogance and pride will cost you opportunities. Now pride is a good thing to have, but it must yield to discipline. I am the woman that can make your goal of a new Soul Country Possible. Use me. Use my guidance and training. You already represent the change that is happening to the Lightning Empire and to Soul Country, being of mixed blood with one of our own clans. Consider this a networking opportunity. You will not be able to succeed alone even if you have powerful bloodlines, you need allies who can help you. I can help you, Gang Hua-sama. I’ll teach you discipline, I’ll teach you how to be a leader, and I’ll work your body until you might as well be made of steel. The game of countries is not one that can be won with strength alone - you must understand politics and how people work. I can teach you these things as well. My mission is to help you succeed, but as you are you will not ever be close. Use me for all that I am worth. ” Asuka gestured towards the crate which had been set upon a dolly and was being rolled into the building.

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Meeting the Colonizers

Post by Taiga » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:40 am

Chihiro was far to stubborn to bend to the wills of Asuka, or even take her advice in stride. Part of her knew though that, at least a decent amount of Asuka's lecture was true though... but she'd need to stew on that for a bit. Ignoring the conversation she would instead take note of the offer to "use her for all she was worth". What a strange offer from a random woman she had just met? Why would Ishiguro Asuka make such an offer, and for someone who seemed to be a shrewd business woman, what was in it for her?

With a slight hesitation she bowed her head slightly. In their culture this was not a sign of necessarily agree-ance, but one merely of respect for the other. If Asuka made such an offer, she at least had earned some respect.

With a deep breath and all of her neurons screaming in the back of her head something about this was smelly, Chihiro piped up.

"And why, exactly, would you let me use all of you? Are you some kind of pervert or something- or trying to kidnap me?" she said once more as her eyes narrowed and the skewer spun round in her hand, once more her raising it and pointing it in a defensive posture towards Asuka.

"Telling your name to your victim is a brave move!" the young girl said as she widened her legs. Regardless of who she was or her training, Asuka would have to accept she was talking to a child. Young, naive, and filled with fires easily misguided or misunderstood.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

HotelBravo

Meeting the Colonizers

Post by HotelBravo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:58 am

She bowed her head slightly, it didn’t mean much but it was progress. Rapport was the first step on all types of business deals, and where she stood before she would have no opportunity to help build her. "And why, exactly, would you let me use all of you? Are you some kind of pervert or something- or trying to kidnap me?" The girl narrowed her eyes and pointed her skewer like a kunai in a defensive position. It was a cute gesture, Asuka was extremely well armed so a simple skewer would hardly avail the young girl. "Telling your name to your victim is a brave move!"

So they were back to this. At least one issue had been resolved. ”I see we’re back to the beginning, just how much longer are you going to let your imagination run wild? Stop letting filling in the blanks with fancy. Use your logic and intuition to focus your perception on real threats. You are letting your bias control your perception. I’m not interested in kidnapping you. What kind of profit would I be able to make from stealing the daughter of a diplomat? It would depend on my goal wouldn’t it? Kidnapping would have one of two motivations - it would either be money motivated - do I look like I’m strapped on cash?” Asuka gestured to the quality of her skirt suit. ”Otherwise it must be politically motivated. I could gain alot from a political kidnapping, but it wouldn’t meet my goals. I’m a subject of the Lightning Empire so forcing the empire to do something not in its best interest is not in my best interest. The success of our diplomat is my success. As you can see I have little gain from this. Let your perception tell you the truth instead of using it to justify your prejudices.”

Asuka made her way across the street and took the crowbar from her waiting employee’s hands. ” You asked why would I be interested in your success? The street goes both ways my dear, I help you achieve your dream, and by virtue of your new found power and position you will help me, whether directly or indirectly. I will leverage our relationship to achieve my own goals. Right now that goal involves becoming the head of the Ishiguro clan, but after this I will have the political power to fight for The Kage Seat, or at worst a seat on the council. There is an expression that a rising tide lifts all ships. You have far more potential for growth than myself. That comes with being young, and cultivating that growth will obviously benefit me, but it will not cost you anything. Regardless my dear girl, you’re welcome to go your own way if you don’t want a tour of my facility. I think we are done here for today. I’ll see you at the mission office when the administration formalizes our team.”

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Meeting the Colonizers

Post by Taiga » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:57 pm

As Asuka flung into a lecture, Chihiro's face would go stone cold in pure regret for the antics she had put forth. Whilst listening, she tossed the skewer into the trash clan and then blinked, her face still blank as a fresh piece of paper. Asuka had deeply analyzed the situation. "Look... it was a joke lady- sheesh"" she said waving her hands in the air as Asuka finished. All things admitted though she was saying some very interesting things. The idea of letting perception tell you the truth was one she could get behind in a serious situation such as combat. Crossing her arms, she would follow Asuka across the street as she moved towards the crates.

She was about to crack another joke about all the things Asuka said until her mind lingered on the final line.

"Wha-wha-- wha-tt what?"" she said nearly choking on the words as her mind replayed the explanation that Asuka would be formalizing the team formation- her team formation. Did that mean... this lady was her Jounin instructor? Panic wrecked Chihiro as she nearly sank into the floor realizing that this was her first time meeting the woman who decided her future as a shinobi.

She was unsure whether to be mortified or infuriated at that fact.

With a pouty look on her face she huffed, "Well, if I'm stuck with you for GDS I might as well get busy working with you not against you..."" she said as she looked to the crate. She was interested in what artifact Asuka had chosen. "Alright, what's in the box then?" she said nodding her head in the direction of the crate.

Her opinion about Asuka being a colonizer wasn't going to change... but if this woman was her sensei she needed to adapt. To deal with any character judgements she may or may not have hastily made, and keep on course. She'd settle for something more like rivals in her head for now.
Last edited by Taiga on Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Return to “Kumogakure no Sato”