Quiet Reflections

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:10 pm

Izumi had been spending all of her free time training lately, or with Tokaido, or trying to figure out a way to break the news to Eiko even while avoiding the girl. She felt terrible about it, but what was she supposed to do? No one could know she was with the Black Ops, and yet she had to tell Eiko, who meant so much to her, that she couldn't see her romantically any more because of that connection? Banri probably expected her to lie, but lying to someone like Eiko was just not what Izumi was capable of.

As her thoughts had begun to run wild, Izumi had sought out a quiet place of reflection and wound up in the infamous Chahitsu House of Tea. Izumi sat in a corner at a table to herself, sitting cross-legged on a cushion with a braille book in her hands. Her typical blindfold was over her eyes and her staff beside her as she ran her fingers across the letters and a moment later she heard a sound as someone set a pot of tea in front of her with a cup and they spoke sweetly before she even had to ask.

"The tea is at your three o'clock, and the cakes are at you're... nine o'clock." the sweet old woman said as she set out the cranberry green tea and sweet cakes.

Izumi smiled, keeping up her facade of blindness. "Thank you so much." she replied quietly, letting her right hand find the tea and the cakes rather easily. She wore no sign of being a ninja as part of her role in black ops mandated that she not only, in her case, feign blindness but also appear as if she were no longer a shinobi. It wasn't her favorite thing in the world as some looked down on her for it, especially those who might recognize her physical features as being that of the Ishiguro, but the old woman here took pity on her for thinking she had lost her sight on a mission and been booted from her work. She was one of the few who took pity on the girl and Izumi had come to value that bit of caring.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:00 pm

Iriumi let the banner over the Chihatsu entryway brush through his hair as he entered, the warm aromas of flowered teas and steaming meals washing over and through him and instantly bringing a smile to his face. Boy did he love this place: it only took a few moments for the warmth to fill him up, and still he was only standing by the door, patiently waiting and watching as the customers talked and the ladies of the house moved here and there to accommodate them. It was a normal night here at the tea house, and just as lovely an escape as it ever was.

After a few moments, he met the gaze of an older woman and broke out into a soft grin. She smiled back. "Nice to see you again, Iri-chan," She said welcomingly; she looked a little more surprised and happier than usual. He stepped farther inside and gave her an acknowledging nod, still with the grin on his face. "It's been a while, hasn't it Mii-san?" They shared pleasant looks and made toward the inside of the tea house. He could only admire Mii, as she liked to be called: she spent so much of her time on this place. Iriumi watched as an empty table went by and gave the older woman an inquisitive look. Was there something behind that smile?

She led him to the far corner of the tea house, where a young woman sat respectfully before her tea and cakes, and Mii gestured him toward the table. When he gave her a confused look, she leaned in to whisper in his ear. "Go on; she needs cheering up." The old woman broke from her sweet expression and gave him a wink, and red flushed over Iriumi's face. She gave him a bump in the direction of the table and he knelt down, eyes laying nervously on the cloth around the girl's eyes, like she could somehow see him through it. "Um, pardon me, miss. It seems all the other tables are taken or reserved. Do you mind if I sit here?"
CharactersShow
Hatsuko Iriumi - Genin, Kumogakure. Kozoku Ruto - Genin, Kirigakure.

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:07 pm

Izumi kept her eyes unfocused behind her blindfold, staring off towards the opposite wall. She’d found it was easier to feign blindness if she kept herself this way, as it made her feel actually blind, in part anyway. Her fingers trailed over her braille book, a newly acquired talent and something that had quickly become one of her favorite pastimes. For someone who could actually see it took a particular type of focus to be able to read these types of books, but that focus was interrupted by the sounds of footsteps and even a brief shuffling sound as if someone had been nudged alone. She heard the old woman’s remarks and couldn’t help a smile as the boy introduced himself. Izumi motioned to the cushion across from her in response and with a nod. ”Of course, I don’t mind at all.” she replied, keeping that same smile on her face.

She closed her book, carefully feeling for the empty place beside her sweet cakes before setting the book there to rest and tilting her head in Mii’s direction. ”Could I get some miso soup as well please?” she asked politely before returning her attentions to the ‘unseen’ other side of the room and her hands rested on the table before her fingers gently found her tea cup and teapot, carefully pouring a cup for herself. Her left index finger she let curve just over the top of the cup so she knew when to stop as the warm liquid hit the tip of her finger. ”I am Ishiguro Izumi by the way.” she said, introducing herself to her new company. ”Who might you be?” she added before lifting the cup carefully with both hands and taking a gentle sip.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:38 pm

The red in Iriumi's cheeks did not recede, and he gave a light bow to her acceptance of him. "Thank you, miss." IT didn't occur to him until after he'd already done so that she was blind and likely had no idea he'd given the gesture. Instead of fretting, he removed his jacket and laid it gently next to the cushion across from the girl before gingerly sitting cross-legged, as she was. It was strange to not have the weight of his medical supplies, here and there in pockets all over that jacket, and it didn't help his nervousness to be without it. Still, he settled himself and took a deep breath, instinctively smiling a big, nervous smile.

"Oh, some Miso soup for me to would be lovely, Mii-san" He briefly turned to the woman with a pleading look, as if to say 'please don't leave me here', but she only smiled at him coyly. She knew exactly how embarrassing this was going to be, and it was cute to her. Iriumi could not quantify the red on his face. He turned back to the girl and straightened himself: she was so calm: so seemingly oblivious to all the internal fuss he was making, and-oh.

She was actually...

...quite pretty.

When she asked him his name, he had to remember where his lungs and vocal cords were. "Iriumi-uh, I'm Hatsuko Iriumi." So. Much. Red. He took a breath. Yes, breathing was good; this wasn't anything weird. He sat for a moment with no clue what else to say, until one of the younger ladies of the tea house came to the table. She had tea for him: tea he didn't order. "Your Miso will be out soon."

"Thank you very much." He replied in his most grateful, grateful, grateful tone. He took the tea up in his hands: finally, something to balance himself with. He took a sip and felt just a little of his nerves leak away. It all felt a little more normal now. "It's nice to meet you, Ishiguro-san," He recognized the name, but didn't care to bring it up: Iriumi wasn't the type to worry about that sort of thing. "Do you... come here often? It's a wonderful place."
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:49 pm

Izumi couldn’t help smiling still as she felt the boy’s nervousness practically crawl across the table at her. She couldn’t help turning her eyes to him momentarily just to see how red he was, but quickly her eyes went back to their unfocused position on the wall. ”You can just call me Izumi.” she told him with that same smile on her face as she picked up a sweet cake from the little plate and slid it towards him. ”Want one?” she offered before biting into the little square of white frosted cake, revealing the pink, strawberry flavored middle.

They were quickly becoming one of her favorite things and she had a bad feeling she’d be fat if she wasn’t doing all the training she’d been doing lately. The cranberry green tea complimented it nicely as well, Izumi couldn’t help but to notice.

”I come here once in awhile.” she admitted to Iriumi, not sure if she wanted to admit that it was usually when she sought solace. She didn’t want him to feel bad after all. ”Mii seems to know you well, so I’m assuming you’re here quite often then?”

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:11 pm

If there was anything to be given away in the girl's mannerisms or momentary lapse in disguise, Iriumi didn't have the faculties to detect it. He took another sip of tea; this was good. It calmed him. His smile seemed to return to its normal, gentle self, and he closed his eyes for just a moment to relax and gain his bearings: she couldn't see him, right? It was okay. When she offered, he he scrutinized the little cake with a hesitant but tempted expression. "Hm," Should he? "Sure. Thank you very much, ms Izumi." He very tenderly picked one from the plate and took in its aroma before taking a bite. So good.

He dared a glance across the table at her and smiled. It was strange, not being able to see her eyes; he wasn't sure he'd ever looked a girl's face this way before. It was a good thing the tea and the cake were here: they were his tools in navigating this strange and nerve-wracking environment. He took another sip of tea: they were quite good together, but she'd asked him a question by the time he put down his cup.

"Oh- yeah," some softness came to his expression as Mii was brought up. "I used to help out here when I was younger: Mii-san is a wonderful woman. I wish I could get out more often, but since I made Genin I haven't had the time." He lightly tapped the Kumogakure headband stitched into the shoulder of his jacket on the floor with his fingernail. "I'm glad I visited tonight, though." Those words snuck out without his thinking, and any connotations flew right over his head.
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:19 pm

Izumi’s little smile quickly turned to a grin at Iriumi’s last statement. ”Must have been nice helping out here.” she remarked however, steering away from his last statement despite the way it amused her. The Ishiguro had once been quite the jokester and would never have hesitated doing something like taking that statement and twisting it…. or putting hot sauce on the sweet cake he had chosen. But with her recruitment into Black Ops, all that had changed. Oddly it was the one change she’d never had to explain to those that knew her, they all thought it was due to the loss of her sight and her standing as a shinobi and accepted the changes in stride.

Their assumptions and acceptance made it all easier for the girl.

She heard him tap at his headband, tilting her head as her mind tried to locate the sound before her eyes did, an exercise she did constantly in the interest of bettering herself at her little ruse. ”I was a chunin before I was forced to quit.” she stated simply, leaving the statement in the air with no explanation. She had found many could do the math on their own and had learned that explaining simply added to the awkwardness. At least her blindness took away from her family history, no one cared about her mother having been a missing ninja since she had become ‘blind’ after all.

She’d come to like that fact.

”Honestly growing up I didn’t get the chance to help or work anywhere, I only trained. Most Ishiguro are taught their doujutsu at an early age and taught to rely on it, so the natural step is to become shinobi.” she seemed to fall quiet in thought a moment, her index finger tapping her chin briefly before she sipped at her tea once more. ”I’m still trying to figure out where I fit now. The village hired my best friend as caretaker so I’m not left helpless at least… but I hate just having nothing to do.” she added, tapping her book. ”Best thing I’ve done yet was learn braille, so at least I can read in my spare time.”

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:51 pm

Izumi's comment took him back. For the frail little boy he'd been, he'd certainly managed to weasel his way into a lot of lives: there probably wasn't a shop owner or hostess in town who didn't know his name. He wasn't sure he thought of it that way, but he loved Kumogakure, and so yes-it really had been nice helping out. He'd have done it all again in a heartbeat.

Iriumi drew himself back into reality as he caught his eyes settling on the girl's lips again. Where was he supposed to point his eyes? How could he keep his mind where it belonged if he couldn't read her expression? He took another sip of tea rather than thinking about it. It was about then that she hit him with her former rank: Chunin.

Wow, she was a Chunin.

Wow, she...

He frowned. She had to quit. His mind put the pieces together one at a time, and his head tilted and expression changed to sympathy, as if her story had just unfolded in front of him: then she started telling it. He shifted once or twice as she explained: he'd heard stories like this before, and felt for her. The clans were a different sort of place, and he couldn't understand just what it was like to have grown up in one, but he knew a little bit about having one thing rule your life, and a little about having something important taken away from you. For a few moments, he said nothing, and she'd continued by the time he could conjure a response. He looked down at the book of braille.

"Hmm," He really didn't know what to say. He couldn't imagine suddenly not being allowed to continue as a shinobi; well, actually, maybe he could."That's a lot to take in, he began softly. His voice had utterly shifted, and the years he'd lived as emotional support was leaking through. "It's really nice to hear that you have something, even if it's just a small something." He lingered for just a moment, but found himself looking at her again. Lightly, he poked one of her hands with his finger and shifted his posture to something a little more upbeat. "I'll have to keep in touch. I might be worrying about my place as a shinobi too, to be honest." She may or may not have noticed the frailness in his light touch, but it spoke for his condition. His white hair and pink eyes did too, but of course she couldn't see those. "I guess, well... I'm just one guy, but if you need a friend, I'm always around."

He sounded a little corny; maybe his nerves were setting in again.
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:58 pm

Izumi nodded at his sentiment, appreciating it and at the same time partially hating that she couldn’t tell him the truth of it, yet that hatred was something that was quickly waning. She was becoming accustomed to her own lies and deceit. ”I appreciate that.” she said, taking another nibble of her sweet cake, waiting to speak again after she’d swallowed.

”I’ve been studying so much lately, I wonder if I could somehow use that to help others… I recently started teaching a friend of mine how to navigate without her eyes. I suppose that could be a helpful talent to those even with their eyes still. Sometimes I hope I can figure out enough to return to my life as a ninja but short of finding a new way to use my chakra system to navigate, I’m not entirely sure it’s possible.” Much of her research and reading, including the book she had with her, pertained to unique uses of one’s chakra system as she’d been seeking a way to get around without sight. Though she could technically see, there were always situations where ‘seeing’ without eyes was useful, especially for someone seeking to become a skilled assassin.

After all, she had a promise to keep to her father.

”So why do you worry about your own future?” she asked, keeping up her ruse as if she couldn’t see his frailty for herself.

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Iriumi didn't change his expression all throughout Izumi's initial reaction, sort of hanging on the realization that he might have gone a little over the top in his offer of friendship. When she changed the subject, he let it fall off him and took a breath, listening along as she explained her ideas and plans. She didn't seem all that different from him, if he thought about it just so. Well, maybe not. His use of medical jutsu to overcome his sickness was a constant and gradual endeavor, and assisted his whole life by his family's history of medical study. He couldn't claim to be anything like her.

"Well," He thought about how to respond to her question and gave a quiet chuckle. "Sorry, I'm not used to it not sticking out. There's a history of Albinism in my family: you can't see, but my hair is actually grey like yours. A little lighter, even. I've got the pink eyes, too. A lot of people find it charming, I guess." He kept up a smile for as long as it took him to finish, but bowed his head a little in the next few moments. He wasn't really sure how to talk about it, to be honest: he was so used to fixing other people's problems. "Anyway, it makes me sick. I've had to pick up a lot of Iijutsu just to keep myself going, really, so I worry about it sometimes." Another pause: was he going to deep?

It was about then that their Miso soup arrived.
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:27 pm

”I suppose I can understand your concern then.” Izumi replied, letting her hands find the bowl of miso and cupping it with her fingers for the warmth. She couldn’t really eat soup with a spoon anymore, and she hoped Iriumi wouldn’t mind that. After all navigating a spoon when ‘blind’ was risky and downright dangerous in certain circumstances.

”At least you can manage it with the Iijutsu thought right?” she mentioned. ”When I was hurt they tried to help me at the hospital but… well, I was beyond help.” Fortunately she had caught what she was about to say before she said it and was able to change her wording around. After all, eating miso would be much less appetizing if she started talking about how her eyeballs had liquefied and couldn’t be rebuilt in a fashion that they’d be functional… or at least that’s what would have happened if that blade had come two centimeters deeper according to the doctors. In fact she was supposed to keep her eyes unfocused if she ever lost her blindfold so that people would think she had two glass eyes in their place.

The very thought caused her to bring one hand from the bowl to touch beside her right eye where she could feel the scar tissue under the eyes. ”At this point it just is what it is.” She lifted the bowl to her lips now and sipped gently at the warm broth, feeling it run down her throat in a comforting fashion. She loved miso after all.

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:01 am

The direction their conversation had taken had been somewhat chilling, and Iriumi found himself a little more hunched, a little more drained from the understanding, supportive self that normally came bubbling out in situations like these. The extent to which this was outside of his ability to help was a little off-putting, and it seemed all those nerves and all that hypertension could turn to sorrow if he made one wrong move. He took a shallow breath; what would she say if she could seen the concern on his face right now? Would she get the wrong idea?

Her comments served to further sober him, and he frowned again before he could manage a response. "Mm, you're right. I shouldn't have compared our circumstances. I guess I was just trying to lighten the mood." He took a look down at the cake he'd taken, still sitting in front of him with just the one bite taken out of it. He sipped his tea again instead. He didn't like hearing that phrase 'it is what it is', even if he sometimes said it himself; it was too consigning, as if dooming you never to have anything better to focus on than the circumstances at hand.

Iriumi also cupped his hands around the conical, shallow bowl that his Miso had arrived in and sipped from it. It was essentially a broth anyway; as far as he knew, this was the way you were intended to drink it: why else would it come in a giant cup?

It wasn't sufficient to keep his mind off their conversation.
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:24 pm

”Oh no, that’s not what I meant.” Izumi replied, setting down her bowl of miso. She couldn’t help the frown that crossed her lips seeing as she really hadn’t meant to make him feel bad with her statements. ”I wasn’t trying to say that at all.” she added, trying to think how to explain this. She really was just trying to show him that his situation wasn’t all bad and now she wasn’t sure who to explain her intent to him without making him feel worse.

”I’m just saying you shouldn’t give up.” she finally said, feeling like her answer was so incredibly weak. ”In your situation Iijutsu is a valid option and no one knows it’s full powers after all.” She tried to cover the fact that she felt rather inept suddenly by picking up her bowl once more and sipping at her soup, ignoring the feel of the edge of a mushroom touching her lip. She really hated mushrooms but she couldn’t deny that they added a good flavor to the miso. They just had a weird texture she couldn’t stand.

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:14 pm

Despite the change of moods, he couldn't help but to take up a faint and understanding smile. Poor thing, trying to salvage his positivity; he'd have reached out and interrupted her, let her know it was okay, if both her hands weren't already occupied. It was an instinct of his. He let his hand rest on the table instead to stifle it, and his expression warmed as she finished.

"It's alright," he started with, a bit of tender appreciation hidden in his voice. "I'm not going to give up; my family's been studying Iijutsu for generations, and I've been working with this condition my whole life. I'm sure I'll figure something out." He chuckled softly and took up a sip from his bowl, letting the fresh and sweet smell of the soup fill him. "Things certainly got turned around on me. I'm supposed to be the one cheering you up." He guessed she wouldn't see the look he gave her: it was probably the closest thing to real flirting you could get out of someone like him. He set his bowl back down, some of his positive demeanor restored.
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:28 pm

Izumi tilted her head in a show of curiosity. While she had heard the older woman’s remark to him about cheering her up she wasn’t going to show that she had heard it. After all, the girl was learning to be an assassin, and deception was a necessary thing in such a business, especially being part of STRATOS now. ”Why would you be cheering me up?” she asked him, perhaps a little too sweetly. ”I just came here to read, though I did notice there seems to be a lack of noise considering you said all the tables were claimed.”

It was the main flaw in his ruse after all, he had lied by saying the tables were taken or spoken for, because if both were true then by now there would be quite a bit more noise in the place. But no one new had entered since they’d begun talking. If Izumi hadn’t already been aware of Mii’s influence then she might have been suspicious as to the boy’s intentions.

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:43 am

"No, no, it's not about that," he had to start, a little flustered at her making that connection. He hadn't thought about Mii or why she'd sent him over here since the red from his cheeks had first faded; this was something different. His voice softened. "I'll always want to give a little happiness to people who've fallen on hard times. I couldn't imagine what you've gone through, so I figured the least I could do was get you to smile, you know?" He wasn't sorrowful this time: there was a gentle optimism in his voice, the kind he was known for... oh.

As he thought about it, he chuckled out loud and a little red came back to his face. He saw what she'd done. "That Mii," he said with an embarrassed smile. "Maybe we aren't out of tables, and she just brought me to you because she thought I could cheer you up. She's mischievous that way." He sipped his tea again as he explained, and drained the last of the cup. His earlier nervousness had gone a long way. He didn't think he could blame himself, given the circumstances. He'd enjoyed talking to this girl, at any rate. "I've never been able to hide it from Mii when I was sad or worried about something..."

Was she sad or worried about something? She didn't seem as bothered by what had happened to her eyes as he was, and that was a little out of his league, as far as he was concerned. Mii wouldn't have introduced her to him in hopes of turning around a situation like that, would she? ...

In any event, it was better to just relax. He was here as himself, not to do a job.
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:59 pm

Izumi had a hunch that Iriumi was fishing for something, likely to know what was bothering her so much. She wrinkled up her nose at the thought, knowing she couldn’t tell him the truth. But she also knew she had to come up with a plausible lie for Eiko for when she finally spoke to the girl. Was this the right time to try that lie?

”My family is incredibly difficult to deal with.” Izumi finally said with a heavy sigh, pausing only to take a careful sip of her tea and her mind worked to arrange the words the right way, just as she had practiced over and over again in her mind. ”Maybe Mii noticed how stressed I’ve been over it.” she added, hesitating telling him what was running through her mind.

She had worked it out with Banri right? It was a good lie, hell if her family knew the truth of her and Eiko she imagined it wouldn’t be a lie anymore but the absolute truth. But that didn’t mean she had to like telling it.

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:42 am

The subtle exchange underscoring their conversation wasn't lost on Iriumi either, and a disparaging feeling crept into him as he waited in the pause between their words: that awkward moment when someone presumed something of your expectations and intentions, right? The enthusiasm was drained from him to some degree, but he sat and listened anyway, finally picking up a utensil to fish some of the bits from his soup. Even for a few moments after she replied he didn't respond, and a resigned atmosphere had collected around him by the time he set down his bowl.

"I understand." he finally said, hands still resting on the table. It wasn't that she was probably lying to him: hell, he was no investigator; she could very well have been telling the truth. It was that she had perceived him as stepping over that line, of prying; the message was fairly clear in the shift of their pacing that, truth or no, she was somewhere in the conversation she'd rather not be, and that was Iriumi's cue to let go. He waved over a passing hostess and paid for their meals with a nod and a smile: she couldn't see him, right? Maybe she wouldn't notice. Lightly tapping his all but empty bowl against the table, he let out a light sigh.

"Well, it's been a pleasure meeting you, Ms. Izumi. I wish you the best of luck He gave a light bow, once again in his haste forgetting she was blind.He gently retrieved his coat and stood from his cushion, a sense of normalcy returning to him as he slipped on the heavy sleeves. "Maybe I'll see you again sometime." He gave a curt smile, then frowned. He couldn't sort out his feelings about this conversation they'd had; what had he been expecting, anyway? Rather than think about it, he turned and left.

Out on the hillside, he fell heavily on his back against the dirt and stared up at the sky. It had stuck to him, that debacle at the tea house. Why would one conversation that never went anywhere ruin his night like that? The sounds of everyone eating and chatting with one another were still audible a ways behind him: he hadn't gone far before deciding he needed to take a breather. Dusk hung over him, and he sighed again into the warm night air.

That girl.

[[ ooc: You can interrupt him leaving if you like, or meet him again outside, or we can stop the thread right here. It's up to you :\ ]]
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:06 pm

Izumi tried to stop him while trying to maintain her ruse of being blind, but she didn't manage to stop him and even tripping him with her staff didn't work. She dug in her pockets and produced the money necessary to pay for her things before grabbing her staff and book and leaving. As she made her way out the tapping sound of her staff could be heard as she called out. Iriumi!" She wasn't sure what had made him leave so suddenly, except maybe her own hesitancy to speak.

For a moment she forgot she was supposed to be blind and she walked straight towards him, stopping over him as her mind caught up with her actions and she began forming an excuse should he ask how she found him. "Hey, what was that about?" she asked him. "Why'd you leave?"

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:28 am

Iriumi lifted his vision when he heard his name, and his frown returned when he saw Izumi headed his way again: it wasn't that it was a bad thing she'd found him; he just now had to face that he'd walked out on her. "I'm here," He called out, "on the ground." She didn't seem to have any problems locating him, but Iriumi wasn't the sort of person who would call suspicion on her, not in these circumstances.

"Hmm." All the air in him seemed to let out when she asked him why, and he had to sit up and face the horizon to find the words. "I knew I wasn't going to be able to leave it alone. Everybody has their secrets." He sighed. "Sorry for putting you on the spot like that. He managed a look back at her, and he felt a tinge of sadness touch him. Iriumi was the type of fellow who delighted in helping people, and so the shame of having made her come out here, not knowing the miscommunication between them, was not lost on him.
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Fortunately Iriumi called back to her and Izumi followed the voice, tapping him a couple times with her staff lightly before sitting beside him and setting her staff on the other side of herself. ”It’s fine, Iriumi.” she assured him. ”I’m just not used to having to tell people, honestly most people I know already know about my so-called secrets.” she added.

With a sigh, Izumi decided to tell him in the simplest way she could. ”My mother was a missing ninja.” she told him, her hands resting loose in her lap as she told him the truth of her beginnings. ”No one knows who my father is, I was conceived after she left the village and no one even knew I existed until they came to find her. When they killed her, they brought me back to the village with them where I was deemed a non –risk because I was so young when it all happened… even the family who ‘adopted’ me, from the same clan, were the same people who killed my mother that day.”

After she finished telling the simple story she let silence hang in the air a moment before continuing. ”That’s why my family is difficult to live with. My parents aren’t my real parents, they’re my adopted parents, and the same people who killed my own mother. They expect me to turn out like her, to turn rotten and they hated it when I became a shinobi but hated it more when I was struck blind… it’s complicated.” The last bit she said with an uncontrolled chuckle, knowing that ‘complicated’ barely scratched the surface of her situation.

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:47 pm

Iriumi closed his eyes when he felt Izumi touch the grass beside him. There was a lot on his mind, but nothing he could really sort out: her arriving at least served to give him something to focus on, even if it also left him conflicted. It was so much easier... not having to see anything right now.

He listened with as calm a mind as he could to her story, letting it wash through him and feeling a little sympathy, and a little more uncertainty, about her situation. He'd always talked with clansman, heard the troubles of living within such structured tradition and organized pressure: he was glad the Hatsuko never became a clan, though they'd wanted to. But this was something a little different: being labeled and assigned a fate was one thing, but this girl was suspected untrustworthy... He couldn't imagine living with that.

"It's a lot." Iriumi muttered, rolling to face away from her. He felt he needed to shy away, but also wanted to stay. "I don't think I could do a situation like that justice with my sympathy. The world's a different place when you have people's expectations riding on you: I don't envy it." He stayed facing away, but felt her not far from him in the grass. It was an odd feeling he'd stuck himself with. He tried to think of something else to say, to shift back into a proper state of mind, but he was coming up short. "I... I dunno." He repeated in a disappointed tone.
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:06 pm

”I think I could handle it if they expected something good of me.” Izumi remarked with a shrug, remaining seated where she was. ”I think what makes it so hard is that they expect the worse…. I’d prefer it even if they just expected nothing. But they expect me to become rotten to the core. I don’t even know what all my mother did… but whatever it was, it must’ve been terrible.”

Izumi fell quiet, suddenly feeling an urge to speak of something she had yet to admit to anyone, even Tokaido didn’t know this yet. ”I… honestly, the only thing that keeps me going, is I met someone. When I went to the Iron Country festivities… I met a man who I’m pretty sure is my father.” As she spoke of the man her tone fell to a softer kind, quiet even. She wasn’t sure how loud she dared speak of this. If the village knew, they’d think for sure that she might betray them.

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:34 am

Iriumi grew a little stiff as he laid there in the grass, listening. He was at once sympathetic and frustrated: what did she want from him? What could he say at this point that could contribute? Further exposition would only serve to drive in his lack of consequence in the matter: she might as well have been talking to the air, after all, for the good that could come of it.

But that was his own insecurity talking. Sometimes people needed to just talk, to sort it out with themselves: if he didn't understand that, he wouldn't be who he was. Maybe it was just that she'd caught him off balance, that had him acting this way. He stayed facing away from her and didn't speak, only listening. His own father was a medical ninja who still worked in the village, and he'd known both his parents closely all his life: he couldn't imagine meeting someone like that after all this time without them. Hell, were he and his family among the ninja that were suspicious of her? of her father? He was feeling more and more out of place and less and less a part of this conversation, but he didn't stir: she couldn't have been finished yet.
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:43 am

Izumi fell quiet for several moments, not bothering to speak as she realized he was still laying away from her. She couldn't help a light sigh as she reached over and touched his shoulder briefly, as if verifying that he was still rolled away from her. Finally she stood, holding her staff in front of her briefly. "I'm sorry, you're clearly not interested in my company any longer." she said quietly as she turned for the path, her staff making an odd sound in the grass until she got to the road and was able to hear it crunch under her feet.

"I hope the rest of your day goes well, and that I did not ruin it for you." she called, fighting to keep her pain from showing. Was this how it would always be, being in black ops? She wasn't even a part of a simple conversation anymore, she was just a pain, a nuisance, an annoyance... perhaps she should just stay at home now. She should find a quiet place for herself there, at least there she didn't have to keep up this farce while trying to hold a conversation.

Maybe it was better for everyone if she just disappeared from public eye entirely.

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:04 pm

He could feel the air grow cold in the still somewhat small space between them in the next few moments, when it was still quiet. Iriumi was in a bit of a fog, nameless confliction and confusion ready to spill from him, until he felt her hand on him: touch had a way of changing everything.

He was shocked when she stood and declared her leave. He turned, but the sting gripped him and his voice was barely audible to himself, must less Izumo who was already walking away. "W..wait. No-" He was hung up for a moment, watching her leave, but snapped to and scrambled to his feet. "Wait!"

He was up on the path with her in a few moments. He took her hand instinctively to get her attention, but then quickly let it go. "Izumi wait," He stopped a moment and gripped his side, the sudden start having pulled something in his trunk. There was obvious regret in his voice. "I didn't mean it like that; I-gh. I'm sorry" He had to take a breath to straighten himself up, but he couldn't yet meet her eyes, sightless though they were.
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:41 am

She heard his protests but in truth she hadn't planned on stopping, until she felt him grab her hand and only then did she stop. When he dropped her hand it returned to her staff and for a moment she was actually glad he couldn't see her eyes. She didn't like showing weakness, or pain, clearly such things were not a part of her father's life so why should they be a part of hers? But she wasn't to the point of being able to just suck it up and move on, not yet.

She shook her head as he spoke. "It's fine, Iriumi." she told him. "I shouldn't have said as much as I did." she added. 'I know better than that. People already think I'm suspect, but if they knew my father was from the Mist? If they knew who he was? It'd be worse. The only comfort of black ops is that I don't exist anymore to most people. I should just let myself disappear...'

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:09 pm

It took a moment or two longer for Iriumi to get his bearings before he stood straight and even with Izumi: he wasn't quite sure how to explain himself, but it would seem he wouldn't have to. He found her response welcoming, and it served to relax him a little: he was able to step back into a shared space, having retreated a little in fear of how she'd take him grabbing her hand. Another short pause and he managed a small smile, but felt for her in the direction she'd taken.

"It's okay," he replied, returning somewhat to the softer voice he'd began their conversation with. "If it's very close, sensitive stuff, then we shouldn't talk about it here anyway. I never mind keeping folks' secrets for them, but who knows who else can hear from here." He briefly gestured back toward the tea house before realizing again that he was gesturing to a blind girl: he wasn't sure when he'd get used to that. In any event, he was sure she would understand: they weren't far, and anyone in Kumogakure could potentially be in there listening.

But, to move ahead. "So~ there's still some night left," Iriumi's persona became a bit bashful, but still friendly: a little happiness had come back to him. "You want to walk and talk?" He made a point of stepping up next to her as if to walk by her side, and his knuckles brushed hers momentarily in a subtle deliberate gesture: it would be neither appropriate nor comfortable for her if he took her hand, but just the touch was enough for me. It was his way of saying she had all his attention, as he might put it. He was ready to walk if she was.
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Izumi was quiet as he mentioned keeping the secrets of others. Could she trust someone she’d only just met with something so serious? ’What if Banri finds out?’ The thought caused her to pause mentally. The man seemed to be everywhere, he had even spied on she and Eiko which had ended their relationship… or would whenever Izumi finally got up the courage to talk to the girl.

”Walking sounds nice.” Izumi finally replied, lifting her left hand to rest it on his shoulder as she began to walk, assuming he let her of course. It was just easier to walk this way when with someone than just using her cane after all. ”What did you want to talk about though?” she asked carefully, not sure what to bring up at this point.

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:17 pm

The distinction, at first, wasn't lost on young Iriumi: walking, not talking, but that was his fault. He hadn't intended to imply she need tell him anything, and so he smiled and shook his head just a little at her reply. "Cool," he would reply, his tone lifted; and so he took to walking.

Finding a new subject would be a little more difficult, but he owed it to her: she'd been leading all this time. "Well," He drew out the word as he thought about it, and may have let himself sound a little childish: he was becoming happy again, after all. "Have you taken to doing anything for fun? I mean, there's more free time now, right?" He pressed a finger to his lip in an inquisitive manner. "I like to visit people." He grinned, and imagined if she could see that she would know why.
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Sat May 02, 2015 1:03 am

Izumi thought about her reply for several moments before she actually spoke. ”Honestly… I train as much as I used to, if not more. It’s the only hobby I really have.” she replied. ”I’ve been trying to figure out how to use my jutsu without my eyes, the hardest being my archery. It was always my favorite pastime before, but now my friend Tetsuo has to guide me to the grounds and help me to make sure I don’t hurt someone.”

God she hated lying, and she was getting all too good at it, she could almost feel the anguish rising up within her that she imagined she’d feel if she really couldn’t shoot her bow anymore unaided.

”Oh, I do cook a lot more now though. Honestly it’s easier blind in a lot of ways, my sense of smell has improved so now I’m making better dishes simply because of that.” she suddenly added, trying to get the topic back to something less depressing.

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Thu May 07, 2015 4:10 pm

At first, Iriumi only smiled: yeah, he could understand that. He was only a Genin and training was already eating up so much of his schedule, so he could only imagine it got that much worse when the stakes and standards are higher. He had that acknowledgment on his tongue, but let it go as she continued and their conversation went on. It was nice that they were able to get somewhat back to normal after what had just happened. He let that go too.

"Ohh," he remarked in a charmed tone, as she mentioned cooking. "I guess it would turn out like that. That's kind of cool." He turned to look back out over the road as they walked, and put his hands up behind his head, a contemplative look coming over him. "Oh, and you know, you might be able to get into that spying business too; I wouldn't know who to talk to about it, though."
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Thu May 07, 2015 4:49 pm

Izumi tilted her head to the side as if intrigued. 'Oh the irony...' she thought to herself quietly. "Spying business? What do you mean?" she asked innocently. It certainly was an ironic question considering she was already apart of black ops, but naturally she couldn't let Iriumi know that. What was the point of her ruse of blindness after all if she just up and told him?

Suddenly she piped up with a different random question just as her stomach gave a small rumble. "Do you know a good place for fried ice cream?" she asked him suddenly, realizing she wasn't entirely sure where she was. In feigning blind she often didn't pay attention to what was around her, and she realized she really needed to put more practice into actually "being" blind. "Suddenly I have a craving for chocolate fried ice cream."

theRuBear

Quiet Reflections

Post by theRuBear » Thu May 21, 2015 2:43 pm

"Oh, I dunno..." Iriumi trailed off and turned to the path, unsure of quite how to explain. He knew there was such an organization in the village: for spying, rather than whatever you would call the traditional shinobi's function. Obviously he didn't know how it worked: he would guess they play things pretty close to the chest, practically by definition.

He might have gone on, but Izumi's profession of hunger brought back his attention. "Uhm," He hesitated. Fried icecream was weird: did he know where they sold it? "Oh. Yeah, there's a vendor on Third and West: a little on this side of the Academy." A finger rested on his lip as he recanted the directions, losing a moment, then wrinkling in disappointment as something else came to mind. "Oh... but that meeting thing." he continued to himself before turning to his company. She couldn't see the bit of guilt on his face. "I don't think I can come with you; my new sensei and team are getting together tomorrow morning, so I probably shouldn't stay up and risk it." His brow furrowed a little. It would be cool if he could stay up and revel and have fun like a normal teenager might, or even just get that icecream, but his damned immune system: he'd be sick after training tomorrow without the sleep.

As he finished, he stopped and turned her way "It really has been nice meeting you, though."

[Your close if you want it ^^]
CharactersShow

Willoria

Quiet Reflections

Post by Willoria » Thu May 21, 2015 3:09 pm

Izumi frowned visibly as her staff tapped on the ground. She was tired of being trapped in the house, even if it was usually with Tokaido. Feigning blindness had taken away her ability to do anything normal. The girl had never thought she'd miss her adopted family, given the way they treated her, but after all, they were her only semblance of family.

"Alright." she said quietly, shrugging as she spoke. "Hope your meeting goes well." she added, turning and walking away and back towards home, her staff tapping as she went.

Return to “Chahitsu House of Tea”