Parental Issues

Fungus

Parental Issues

Post by Fungus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:40 am

Michiki and his father have a strange relationship… well no relationship as far as Michiki was concerned. However, it was clear that Mr. Kusakawa was oblivious of this fact. As far as he knew, Michiki was just ‘strange’ and that he was doing a fine job as a parent; when in actuality, Michiki didn’t seem get any attention from his father at all. His father was always busy doing something or busy relaxing. This is a common problem of fathers that work a lot. His mother on the other hand was too busy taking care of everyone in the non-fiscal ways. This creates a similar effect, but with a little forgiveness since she bathed him as a child, serves breakfast and dinner, keeps the home in living conditions, and the like.

The relationship with his father has caused Michiki to give blind obedience act. Not to be confused with respect, Michiki chooses not to deal with his father by forceless compliance. Take this sample conversation for example:

”Michiki.”

“Yes, father.

”Run out and get some milk.”

Yes, father.

In this conversation, Michiki’s father figure gives neither encouragement, nor any positive fatherly words. In response, Michiki shows no personality, staying as terse with his father as his father is with him. And it’s for good reason. This is what happens when Michiki tries to think for himself:

Mr. Kusakawa was sitting in his lazy chair, smoking his pipe and examining some sort of reading material when his oldest son approached him, ”Father, I am going to study Genjutsu.”

Mr. Kusakawa’s eyes immediately broke from his paper to look at his son with a confused scowl. And then turned his head back to his reading material as he regained composure from what seemed to have been the worst news that he has heard in months, ”It’s a good thing your two oldest sisters are medical ninjas, we are apparently going to need that skill for this family.” Mr. Kusakawa did not look up at Michiki. In fact, Michiki stood there in broken silence, hoping his father would say anything to make it better. As if the silence had turned into sticky syrup, Michiki struggled to move. He started to move his feet making his way to the hall way and into his bedroom.

Well… I suppose that didn’t go so bad… Michiki was kidding himself. He had had so much anxiety built up for this topic. He had so badly wanted to learn Genjutsu, but was (rightfully) paranoid that his family would scorn him. But more importantly, he was scared that his father would scorn him. Michiki flopped down onto his bed, lethargic from disappointment. It doesn’t matter, Michiki thought to himself, It is still my ambition to learn Genjutsu. I didn’t care what he thought anyway, I was just letting a parental know. But he was lying to himself for a justification. If that was really the case, he would have just told his mother. But Michiki wasn’t look for her approval, he was looking for his father’s approval. Something Michiki knew was too good to be possible. Michiki’s disappointment was beginning to turn into anger as he sat up in his bed and rested his head up again the wall. He considered, punching the wall to release some of his anger, but dismissed the thought seeing how he never succumbed to such irrational actions. He is so ignorant thinking my sisters could be better than me! Michiki breathed heavily as he attempted to calm himself, How dare he insinuate that they would ever have to nurse me! Although Mr. Kusakawa didn’t say that the two oldest would have to save Michiki, he knew that is what he meant. Mr. Kusakawa had always favored his two oldest of his children the most or at least showed favor over them.

Michiki was starting to calm down. The pains of rejection, slowly numbing him back into his usual apathetic self, Michiki couldn’t help but to feel even more apathetic towards others from then on. He lowered his head down onto his pillow. He was going to bed early tonight… He just wasn’t in the mood for anything else.

Return to “Konohagakure no Sato”