A Meeting Between the Shadows and Light

Tousha and Fanho

Director
Hokage
Hokage
User flair: If you read this, you're gay.

Post by Director » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:09 pm

Fanho strolled through the hustle and bustle of Konoha's streets as he strolled through greeting the people, and smiling with a hop to his step. He strolled into a less often traversed territory for him, but historically was familiar to that of his clan. The Nara compound stood before him the black gates towering high with the trees looming over the compound. For a clan compound it sure was the opposite to that of his always brightly lit Awai compound. There trees we're pretty much devoid from the compound allowing the light to flood in. For the Nara compound it was shrouded in darkness always, no matter where the sun was drifting it always seemed the tree's would drift in that direction. However Fanho wasn't here to take in the beauty of the Nara architecture, or the way the trees swayed in their creation of the enshrouded compound. Instead he was here to see a face that was familiar before the rise of Takeo, and that he had heard from a fable battle that scarred Konoha a few years ago when Fanho was just a beginning Genin.

As he strolled up to a particular house among the compound, the dark haired Genin like that of dull steel approached the house of none other than Tousha Nara. From a glance Fanho would look like a child born among the Nara and Awai clan, but his bright blue eyes, happy go lucky demeanor, and slight glow to his hair and skin betrayed any tell tale signs of him being a Nara. A few looks we're shot across the compound with intrigue from the families dwelling within, but most we're just curious who would approach the retired Hokage's house. "Nara, Tousha's house huh?" The sun was reaching a little early into the afternoon at about one o'clock. Just late enough Fanho had enough time to sleep in, but enough time in the day to come visit without it being a nuisance. As he approached the steps he slipped his hand out of his pocket to knock on the door with some light knocks and a rather playful rapid rhythm to it as if a nice melody. He slipped the hand back in his pocket as he awaited the Nara to greet him outside. Who best to learn from than the old Kage Kage of Kages himself.
Character: Awai, Fanho | Rank: Hokage | Village: Konoha | Color Code: [b][color=#682860]
Character: Konshi, Yuichi | Rank: Jounin | Village: Kumogakure | Color Code: [b][color=#0051BA]

Toshi

Post by Toshi » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:00 am

Inside the humble but affable house a man was cleaning. His long, black hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail, which bobbed and weaved to the beat of the music he was tidying up to. A traditional cleaning wrap was securely tied near the front of the man's head, keeping what runaway strands of stray hair out of his pale, stubble-ridden face. His lips moved to the song's lyrics, his body expertly swaying and grooving to the beat as he ran a mop up and down the dwelling's rosewood floors. Occasionally he would dip the mop and lip sync into the end of its handle, especially during the particularly emotional parts. There were a lot of those.

At the second verse another man, an exact duplicate of the first, sauntered into the room with a dusting fan, his own lips mimicking the lyrics as well. Their crisp, white aprons bounced and weaved in perfect unison as they switched sides of the room and continued cleaning, dramatically shifting past one another in the process with all the grace of a seasoned stage performer.

Finally, as the chorus rang and reverberated through the house, a third identical man brandishing a plunger slid across the floor into the living room from a nearby hallway and joined in.

"If you're lost, you can look and you will find me,
Time after time...
If you fall, I will catch you, I will be waiting,
Time after time!"

The three men sang in what they understood as perfect harmony. They opened their mouths to continue singing possibly the greatest song ever birthed into existence but a staccato wrapping at the door interrupted them. The men looked at each other in confusion while the music continued without them. Did you invite someone to the house? Was someone expecting a visitor? I definitely didn't order anything. Wordlessly these thoughts were shared between the trio until finally they all shrugged in tandem.

The real Tousha released the Kage Bunshin, who promptly disappeared in a puff of light grey smoke. Now alone, the Nara turned off the jambox belting his afternoon cleaning music and propped the mop up by the back door. Tousha mechanically cleaned his hands on the apron as he approached the door with a deliberate ease. Not even bothering to check the front entrance's peep hole, he opened the door.

"Oh," he said, clearly not expecting a fellow Shinobi to pay him a stray visit.

Though he was much younger than the former Kage, Tousha tilted his head slightly upward to meet the young man's eyes. The youth's grey hair and eyes stood out in stark contrast to his own, though their complexion shared a similar paleness. The visitor didn't immediately stick out in Tousha's mind but there was the thinnest whiff of recollection that played at the Nara's brows.

Tousha, still wiping his hands on the apron, asked, "Is there something I can help you with?"
CharacterShow
Former Hokage • Konoha • Nara Tousha

Director
Hokage
Hokage

Post by Director » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:11 am

As Fanho heard the words through the walls, he could hear music, and the belting of lyrics. Fanho raised an eyebrow as his ears perked up, picking up on the ramblings within the house. From the sounds, belting of lyrics, Fanho could figure out the man was probably doing general house work. He heard it cease as Fanho rapped on the door, the confusion at the knock distinctive among the multiple singers of the same origin stopped unison before ceasing to exist entirely. As the door swung open Tousha's face full of surprise as he looked at the young shinobi, Fanho saw as the former Hokage's brain racked at trying to deduce who Fanho was. After all the Hokage had been absent for a long period after the invasion, stepping down, and away from his post he wasn't viewed with the most generous eyes among the council. Fanho himself had heard whispers of them blaming the former Hokage for the invasion, but the Bannin didn't share their biases. At least not without his own deliberation.

"Hiya, I'm Fanho. We're practically brothers in another sense, since I'm an Awai." Fanho's finger tapped his chin as he sort of trailed off into a spiel of who he was so Tousha wouldn't be as confused as he was when he opened the door however the spiel seemed to be more ramble than actual substance. "You know cause like the Awai came from the Nara, which is kinda weird if you ever think about it cause that must've been some serious training to manifest a kekkei-genka- I'm rambling now..." The Awai gave a laugh as he stuck out his hand to shake Tousha's. "You're the kage kage of kage's right? Mr. Shadow man? I've come to see if you can teach me about being Hokage." Fanho's hopeful eyes gleamed behind his youthful face, full of determination, drive, and will. Fanho hadn't learn much of Tousha's exploits and terms as Kage, and who better to hear it from than the source. He couldn't become the best Kage of all time if he didn't try to take in all that he could learn.
Character: Awai, Fanho | Rank: Hokage | Village: Konoha | Color Code: [b][color=#682860]
Character: Konshi, Yuichi | Rank: Jounin | Village: Kumogakure | Color Code: [b][color=#0051BA]

Toshi

Post by Toshi » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:47 pm

Ah, Fanho, that's how Tousha knew him. Even among Konoha's seasoned veterans the young Shinobi had made an impressive name for himself in the village. Not only had Fanho been blessed with a natural talent and disposition for the life of a Ninja, he'd been born into a powerful clan that rivaled even the Nara. It went without saying that a good pedigree helped lay out the path for success in their line of work, but even the most powerful inheritances could only take a person so far. Even though the Kage had only spoken with the grey haired youth a handful of times, and none of those encounters had been particularly lengthy or in depth if he recalled correctly, Tousha had certainly taken notice of the Awai's potential.

Tousha tried to find an opening in Fanho's verbal assault, even opening his mouth and gesturing as if to cut in, but the youth's rambling remained tenacious. Finally the Nara settled into a kind, patient smile and allowed Fanho to tire himself out. Eventually the Awai produced a hand for Tousha to shake, which he reached for out of impulse.

But, as the young man spoke of Hokage, and what he could learn of it from Tousha, the dark haired man hesitated. If only for a breath of a moment. Despite feeling ambushed the older Shinobi firmly grasped Fanho's hand and gave it a firm, decisive shake.

"I think Mr. Shadow Man is breaching some copyright laws," Tousha replied with a smile that reached his eyes, darkening the crow's feet that had taken to roosting at the edges. "But sure, that sounds like me."

Tousha shifted his weight and turned in the doorway, creating more than enough room for Fanho to enter. "I was just about to make some tea," the Kage explained, gesturing inside. "Would you like to join me? Do... Do kids still drink tea? Is that hip anymore?"
CharacterShow

Director
Hokage
Hokage

Post by Director » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:22 pm

Fanho returned the weathered Nara's smile back. Despite his face, there was a warmness behind it of genuine happiness. If anything Fanho noticed the old Hokage's hesitating moment, if not brief, just a hiccup, he wasn't sure the reasoning behind such. Perhaps the breaching of the topic later on would breach those feelings that caused the hesitation. As Tousha mentioned copyright laws Fanho sneered. "Is Mr. Earth Wind Fire Shadow man better? Although I get the strange feeling that you'll receive a copyright claim in September. I dunno, just feels like it." The young Bannin chuckled as Tousha opened up the room allowing Fanho to step inside. The young Awai gave a nod at the mention of tea. Quite frankly it was rare Fanho ever got tea, instead he was usually drinking water on the go, and being in and out of the village didn't give him much time to brew anything. Even when home he hardly had time due to the hustle and bustle of Mamorinuku. "To be quite honest, I don't even think the phrase hip is still hip. You may be quite out of the game old man." As the young Awai shot a grin at the Nara.

"I know its kinda sudden, but who better to learn from than a person who used to be the Hokage. You've got the experience, the hindsight, and know the intricacies of the politics. Not only that an outside view on what goes on within. I mean I assume you still pay attention to what happens in the village right? I don't think you sit here all day cleaning and belting lyrics to your favorite song." Fanho shot a playful quizzical look on his face towards the Nara to emphasize the humor behind the words. As Fanho took in the quaint Nara home, he glanced over at Tousha as he figured he'd give him the spiel of his plan for Hokage. "If I'm going to top you and Takeo alone, I'll need the resources necessary, let alone the strength, and resources. I'm already traveling to Sunagakure and Kumogakure for training and a sort of diplomatic mission to strengthen ties. However the guidance on the home front would be nice as its different dealing with foreign lands, than it is playing with your own people even among the council." Fanho's serious tone undersold the playful rambling he had initiated the conversation on. Despite the goofy, good hearted nature of the kid, he was able to emphasize a more serious tone when necessary, and sell his point when was necessary. What better way than to hop into it as the kid had a thousand questions, but yet he wasn't sure of Tousha was convinced from his original sell at the door.

Toshi

Post by Toshi » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:14 am

"That was never up for debate," Tousha said, grinning sheepishly at the Awai's mention of him being 'out of the game.' It was painfully true and there wasn't much point in denying it. Regardless, Tousha was genuinely content with hosting a Shinobi born into a younger generation. The Nara had only just followed his feet back to the Hidden Leaf, and to say that he was out of the loop was generous at best. Of course he'd kept in touch with Konoha through various means of messaging but there was only so much room on a scroll, and Tousha knew better than most that some things shouldn't be written down at all.

It was there, in the obscure nuances and whispered secrets, that the real pulse of Konoha beat. For over three years Tousha had willingly rid himself of that messy tangle of bureaucracy and politics, which he didn't regret. He'd never had a taste for any of it, or the patience.

As Fanho continued speaking, his tone and expression nourished by a youthful enthusiasm the Kage remembered all too well, Tousha stifled the pity that tried to work its way into his brow. The young Bannin had noble dreams and aspirations, it was plain to see. But either Fanho had no idea what he was trying to step into or he did know and just didn't care. Every instinct urged Tousha to warn the boy, to curb Fanho's enthusiasm and promote caution over idealism.

But, as the younger Shinobi finished speaking and looked to the Nara for wisdom that could help him take hold of a dream, Tousha's pessimistic sensibilities faltered.

The Kage strode to the back door and slid it open, revealing the property's stately back yard. A simple but well crafted terrace of dark oak extended a few meters beyond the door, which featured a round table and several comfortable looking chairs. Framed by the back entrance and the terrace's stained supporting beams, Fanho would be able to see the immaculately manicured water garden that stretched to the edges of the Nara Forest's treeline nearly an acre away. Complete with a stone path, a quaint bridge that overlooked a vibrant pond, a plethora of happily blooming plants, several large boulders and a trickling waterfall that gently cascaded down an escarpment of stone, Tousha's estate practically percolated with an essence of calm and contemplation.

The Nara couldn't help but smile at the sight of it before gesturing at the table and chairs resting outside. "Grab a seat, kid," he said with an affectionate cordialness. "Looks like we've got a lot to talk about, and a lot of tea to drink doing it."
CharacterShow

Director
Hokage
Hokage

Post by Director » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:41 am

As Tousha guided Fanho to his backyard, he was greeted by a pretty site. The pond meticulously cared for by a man with time on his hands, and one who made the decision to step away from the hustle and bustle of Hokage-ship. It seemed it was an escape for the retired Kage, someone who chose to be 'out of the game'. At least that much Fanho had assumed so far with Tousha's apparent absentee-ism after returning to the village from journeying around the world. As much as the older Hokage displayed a willingness to teach Fanho, he felt the prior Hokage was holding back feelings and prior bias to the position. There was a lingering hesitation even if he hadn't outright said so, there was a fleeting dragging to Tousha's actions and few words. However it was quite a big question and task Fanho presented before the Nara, even if he was more than optimistic to assist, it would be a lot to throw on him at once.

As Fanho strode over with his hands tucked in his pockets as he stood in-front of the chair before removing his hands, and literally grabbing the seat holding it out in-front of himself and ushering a wide grin at the older shinobi. "You said take the seat right?" As the Bannin chuckled he sat the seat back down in its exact same positioning before plopping himself down on-top with enthusiasm beaming off. As Fanho took in the backyard, not trying to be a stranger at all, in-fact he was quite relaxed with the atmosphere and environment the two we're in. Although Fanho could deal without the Konoha sun close to mid day with the heat still lingering over the village, however soon it'd go down, and it'd end up being a nice bearable temperature. For a man with super human abilities, he found himself fretting over the most common issues rather than those they'd usually face. Seemed trivial, but the trivial bad joke was how Fanho thrived.

"I forewarn you, I can drink some tea. Suiton user's fear me because its hopeless, I'll drink it all up." The Bannin took in the sights of the backyard as he made an exaggerated pinky out gesture, and a smirk on his face as he chuckled at his own joke. "Where should we start with about the Hokage position shadow man? What do I need to know?"

Toshi

Post by Toshi » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:09 pm

The younger Shinobi's attempt at making a joke regarding the chair was met with a polite smile. Tousha might have chuckled at that, but the anticipation of giving Fanho Hokage advice was already straining his otherwise mellow spirit. Inevitably this discussion would bring up sentiments the Kage had already packed away and moved past, much like an old box of memories gathering dust under the bed. They were still a part of who he was, as a Shinobi and as a person. He couldn't deny that. But over the past three years Tousha had found himself again, maybe even a better version of himself than the aging Ninja had thought possible.

Speaking to the boy about Kageship wasn't going to tarnish what he'd discovered in himself. He needed to calm down.

Without a word the Nara walked back into the house, leaving Fanho to admire the property he took a great deal of pride in. As he grew older Tousha became more enamored with the monotony and simplicity of life's small pleasures. Gardening being a particular delight, it was a hobby in which he cultivated a pure, unmuddied satisfaction. Along with tending to his back yard Tousha had fallen headlong into other passions, but none rivaled the art of making and pouring tea in the traditional methods of his country.

In his sizeable yet modest kitchen a clay pot lay resting just above the reach of a bed of sweltering coals. Orange and red heat shimmered and breathed as waves of hot air lapped at the pot's base and sides, the crystal clear spring water residing inside releasing a steady stream of thick steam. Tousha gently placed a tin cap on the pot's open mouth and carefully grabbed the handle, comfortably warm to the touch, and lifted it off of the grated metal basin it had been settled on. Along with the pot of heated water the Bannin grabbed several bowls, two cups, a small, wrapped bundle of instruments and a crisp, red swath of cloth.

Tousha emerged from the house, supplies in hand. He placed each item neatly on the dark oak table with methodical, practiced movements. As he did so Fanho spoke again, remarking on his infamous prowess in drinking large quantities of tea. The Kage had just finished setting up for the tea preparation when the younger Shinobi continued with more questions. Tousha took a seat opposite from Fanho and simply raised a finger to his lips, and tapped twice.

"Tea is a time for silence, and contemplation," he said gently.

With that the Nara let a few moments slip by, unfettered by dialogue. Tousha breathed in, exhaled, and began.

First the Kage firmly grabbed a bamboo ladle with both hands, holding it horizontally between the two men before angling the instrument's head straight at Fanho. The handle pointed back, directly at the center of Tousha's slowly heaving chest. Then he placed the ladle down gently, resting it diagonally just behind the steaming pot of spring water. The Nara then subtly bent forward, allowing his open palms to rest on the table in a sign of respect for his guest and the tea being shared between them. After a breath the Bannin sat to his full height and exhaled.

Next he reached his right hand out to a thin bamboo scoop placed on the cusp of a small clay bowl, which also held a bamboo whisk. Tousha methodically placed the scoop to the right of the bowl before taking the whisk into his left hand, where he placed it next to the scoop. He allowed his hands to rest on his thighs before producing a bright red cloth, which the man unfolded before snapping it taught. Closing his eyes, Tousha allowed his hands to straighten, fold and shape the cloth into a crisp rectangle, which he shifted to the fingers of his right hand. With his left hand the Nara picked up a smooth drinking cup, brought the folded cloth to the edge of its open mouth and ran it along the entirety of its lip. He then placed the drinking cup next to the now empty clay bowl that once held both the whisk and the scoop while shifting the red cloth to his left hand.

His right hand now empty, Tousha gently grasped the handle of the bamboo scoop, folded the cloth around it and ran the red fabric along its entire length. Satisfied with its cleanliness, Tousha rested the bamboo scoop on top of the smooth drinking cup and placed the red cloth to the side, still neatly folded. With another measured breath the Nara grabbed hold of the bamboo ladle once more with both hands and held it completely upright, its head hovering a mere inch in front of Tousha's calm face. Taking the red cloth in his left hand, Tousha carefully enveloped the large clay pot's lid with the fabric before lifting it away and releasing a heavy spout of steam. He placed the lid atop an empty clay bowl before taking the ladle in both hands, shifting it to rest horizontally across his palms before taking it into his right hand and dipping the ladle's head into the pot of steaming spring water.

The Kage stirred the spring water once, twice, before removing the ladle. Now filled with piping hot liquid, Tousha carefully poured the bamboo ladle's contents into the empty drinking cup. After the water found itself in the cup, Tousha gingerly placed the ladle's head and upper shaft across the large clay pot's mouth. Steam still seeped from the pot, slightly obscuring the ladle's shape. With his right hand Tousha took the bamboo whisk, with his left the man gently held the now full drinking cup. With methodical, rhythmic movements the Nara circled the whisk several times inside the heated spring water. Finally he removed the whisk with a concise movement, not allowing even a single drop of the water to splash onto the table's surface. He then placed the whisk next to the bamboo scoop and breathed.

With both hands the Kage picked up the drinking cup and poured the steaming water into another empty clay bowl before placing it back on the table. He once again grasped the bamboo scoop's thin handle and maneuvered it to a bowl that held the tea Tousha had chosen for the occasion, a subtle but refreshing Sencha blend grown to be mixed directly in hot water. With a deft motion the Bannin scooped up a portion of tea leaves and deposited them into the now empty and freshly cleaned drinking cup. The scoop's rounded head tapped on the drinking cup's lip twice with a calming cadence. He placed the bamboo scoop on the table where he'd picked it up before taking the ladle's handle into his right hand. He dipped the head of the ladle into the large clay pot, stirred the spring water once, twice, before pulling it from the mouth of the steaming container.

With a practiced grace the older Shinobi poured the piping hot spring water into the drinking cup, where it displaced and blended with the dried tea leaves waiting patiently at the bottom. Tousha once again rested the bamboo ladle atop the mouth of the large clay pot before taking the whisk into his right hand and dipping its bamboo brushes into the mixture, gently stirring the tea so that the spring water and leaves thoroughly became indistinguishable from the other.

Finally the Kage put down the whisk, held the drinking cup in both hands, rotated it clockwise a quarter of its radius, and placed the cup in front of Fanho. With a smile and a gesture the Nara gave the younger Shinobi permission to begin drinking.
CharacterShow

Director
Hokage
Hokage

Post by Director » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:15 am

As Tousha silenced Fanho, the young Bannin's words fell quickly silent as he patiently watched Tousha went through the tea pouring as a ritual. Something he clearly took pride in, had practiced, mastered, and intended to carry out such traditions by the book. As the Kage placed the finished cup in-front of Fanho gesturing for him to drink it. Fanho pointed a finger gun at the Kage and winked obviously blinded by such tradition, skill, and meticulous planning the Kage had gone through to generate such a beautiful display of pouring tea as he lifted the cup with both hands to drink it. After being shown up by the Kage's miraculous skill in the art of tea making and pouring, Fanho had to pretend to be somewhat disciplined and well-mannered.

However his body language betrayed his thoughts of trying to honor his host as he was visibly confused at the proper method of holding the cup with both hands, and shifted oddly as he looked at the cup with disdain before simply resorting to holding it with one hand where it rested comfortably. The young Bannin sighed as he rolled his eyes deep in the back of his head clearly making the hamster wheel in his brain spin as he tried to deduce the ritual, but the internal groan he released inside his thoughts made him resort to just one handing the cup as it was more comfortable than the mental and physical finger gymnastics he was trying to perform earlier. You'd think actual gymnastics would be harder but sheesh.

Fanho thought to himself as he sipped the tea as a tea leaf slipped down into the wrong pipe as Fanho's eyes widened as he stifled a cough with a grunt. He attempted to cough the leaf up as best, and silently as he could but to no avail. What he thought was a quiet cough was in-fact a little bit louder than what was playing in his head. The young Bannin finally released the leaf as relief washed over his face as he swallowed the leaf before placing the cup down, and sliding further in his yard chair slouching. Obviously the young man had tried his best to be well mannered, but it seems as Fanho's natural instinct and fate itself wouldn't allow the boy to defer from his natural goofy nature. The boy stayed silent as he waited to let Tousha start the conversation again, after all the two had their own dances they both had performed. One of grace, peace, and tranquility. Another of a failed attempt to be something he wasn't, and least to say it appeared as a miserable attempt but probably humorous for Tousha to watch unfold.

Toshi

Post by Toshi » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:05 am

”I’ve killed the boy,” Tousha thought, his tranquil expression slipping into mild panic as he watched Fanho struggle from across the table. He should have said something when the grey-haired Shinobi decided to raise the glass one handed, a decision surely inspired by a career of head trauma. But the Kage stayed his hand and held his tongue, confident that Fanho could at least tackle the challenge of drinking the tea he cradled like a grade-A sycophant.

Those hopes were dashed when his guest tried inhaling the tea rather than relying on the traditional bodily routes. A bold move to be sure, an innovation by its own right if not for the immediate respiratory distress. Tousha could only watch in subtly shocked silence as the younger Bannin gathered what dignity he could and looked to him, apparently looking for a response.

”It happens to the best of us,” Tousha stumbled, confident that it did in fact not happen to the best of the collective ‘us.’ Then the Nara forced a smile and added, ”Sport.”

With that the Kage proceeded to pour himself a cup of tea, forgoing many of the ritualistic steps he’d performed for Fanho’s glass. The guest’s first cup of tea was always the most important and the ceremony served as a sign of welcome and respect more than anything. Tousha still cleaned the top of his own drinking cup with the swath of neatly folded red cloth, rinsed it out with steaming hot spring water and added the dried tea leaves using the bamboo scoop. Finally, the Nara ladled in another helping of crisp, clean water before swirling the contents with the bamboo whisk. All the while the older Shinobi spoke, his dark, thin eyes contently focused on each task.

”I won’t lie to you, my time as Hokage was… Tumultuous. To say the least.” Tousha chose his words carefully, opting for a more diplomatic flavor of vocabulary. ”The old Konoha Council and I could never see eye to eye, and because of our conflicting perspectives a lot more time and energy went into circumventing each other rather than bettering the Leaf.”

Tousha paused to take a sip of tea, holding the glass firmly in both hands. He sighed and closed his eyes, losing himself for a moment in the experience. The taste of it, the warmth on his face, the intoxicating smell, all of it. He would have looked very peaceful if not for the pang of regret working its way into his brow.

”I thought I was fighting for the little guys out there,” he said quietly, as if speaking to himself. ”You know, tearing down the walls of bureaucracy and fighting ‘The Man.’ I refused to look at things from the Council’s perspective, wouldn’t budge an inch.”

Lost in thought, Tousha swirled the tea in his cup. He watched as the leaves tumbled and spun. ”Looking back, I was just being foolish,” he admitted.
Last edited by Toshi on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharacterShow

Director
Hokage
Hokage

Post by Director » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:56 pm

As the former Kage pondered what head trauma had led to Fanho's demise at the hands of a tea cup, later at the hands of a groping woman in Kumogakure. The young Awai gave a sigh as Tousha made a reassuring comment, but despite the lie being laid on thick with warmth. Fanho saw through has he hazily looked at the man with disbelief. "Culture or etiquette classes we're never my strong suit." The boy gave a reassuring smirk while rolling his eyes at his own comment. He wasn't one for traditions, etiquette, or much ado about the proper way to drink tea. The boy was a full throttle, rambunctious, optimistic ball of energy. However the meticulous nature of green tea production, serving, and drinking was not the necessary octane fuel for the boy. However it did slow his pace drastically for the fear of making himself looking goofier than he already had purported.

"What we're you fighting? How was it foolish?" As the conversation turned to the meat and heart of what Fanho desired to know. He took a much more calmer demeanor than that of his tussle earlier with a tea cup. As the Hokage's comments soaked in, Fanho could only think of what disagreements he had with the council could endeavor. A road of displeasure in the politics, the disagreements in the aggressiveness of the Council's policy and Fanho's own. His mind could only wander without the experience. The face of regret, pain, and loss of time grew across Tousha's face that had told Fanho a bit of a deeper story behind the commentary. It opened a window into the emotions of the man who had been thrown to the wolves of politicking, and the pains of trying to do what one believed in a system that didn't support dreams but cold hard bureaucracy. Not only did battles weather men down to the bone, but the cold harsh reality of dealing with stubborn people in positions of power who refused to adapt, try progressive changes, or who wanted to seek power and not peace. Albeit Fanho's experience with the council was proxied by Takeo's interactions, he had a slight fear that it would be more difficult to deal with them in person as a result of their conversation so far.

Toshi

Post by Toshi » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:34 pm

With a heavy sigh the Nara closed his eyes and rolled Fanho's questions around in his head. The Kage suddenly looked very haggard, the lines of his face darkening somewhat as he fell into thought. Out of habit, the movement almost mechanical, the Bannin ran a thumb along the feint scar that split the pale skin of his forehead. Tousha stared out across the water garden, his dark, thin eyes more unfocused than usual.

"I was fighting tradition," the man finally answered, his voice soft. Amused, even. "There's so much cruelty in what we do, Fanho. Good intentions or not, we Shinobi are playing with fire and sometimes it gets loose. People get hurt. Lives are ruined. I've seen it so many times."

The Nara took another sip of tea, his expression placating. "I wanted to be... kinder," Tousha muttered. "I wanted all of us to be more forgiving in a world that we've helped turn ugly. During my time as Hokage I started to really understand how our little system works and all I saw was stagnation and fear and apathy."

The aging Bannin took a breath, realizing that his tone was becoming heated. With a leveled expression he continued.

"I tried explaining my concerns to the Council but they all brushed it aside. 'Weakness,' they called it."

Another sip of tea and the Kage leveled his gaze at the young Shinobi sitting across the table. "It was foolish because who was I, a weapon born and raised and taught to kill, to say anything about apathy? Who was I to ridicule a system I was now actively appropriating?"
CharacterShow

Director
Hokage
Hokage

Post by Director » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:36 am

Fanho frog faced as the idea of fighting tradition was futile came across in the conversation. While it was true this was the world they were born, bred, and raised into. The idea of fighting to the death for land, power, and overall domination seemed a little contrived and outdated. Especially with the power shinobi held it would be good in the use of all, medicine was way more advanced in Konoha than else where, now especially with Saigo heading the medical field making great discoveries. The usage of light energy in Konoha's technology also ensured light, technology, and modern day technologies found no where else but the Fire Country royal home and Konoha. "That's a pretty skewed way of looking at things." The young Bannin chuckled at the idea of being a weapon, ridiculing a system that one was apart of.

"If you're apart of that system then you know first hand how terrible it can be. If you're just a weapon, then why would you have these emotions, these dreams, these aspirations of a better world?" Admitted Tousha had lived the Hokage life before Fanho, and had more experience that was undoubtedly valuable. However Fanho had admittedly gotten a bit irritated with the defeated manner that Tousha spoke in concerning his experience with the council and the world as a leader. It was as if the hope Fanho fought so hard for had died within Tousha reserved to be apart of the system that he had once seeked to do better with. "How can you call fighting against the grain weakness? Isn't that the definition of strength and confidence? To willingly go against the flow, and battle with forces bigger than yourself. To fight not for the easy thing, the status quo, but the right thing?" The young Bannin gave a sigh, he didn't ask Tousha for an answer that he wanted to hear, he asked Tousha for his answer. Fanho sat leaning forward as he rested his head in the palm of his hand staring off into the yard. "Weapons don't have feelings, they're tools. Humans aren't tools, otherwise you wouldn't be feeling how you feel now."

After all the social queues Tousha put off, it was clear these memories were not pleasant ones. Rather frustrations of years of probably being told to 'shut up, sit down, a kinder world doesn't exist.' That wasn't the first time Fanho had heard that skepticism, but it was certainly different from someone whom had shared his own goal. Someone whom he had looked up to. Sometimes even ones heroes falter in their goals and dreams. However that wasn't something Fanho could grow to accept. A stagnating world just obeying the order. From what intelligence had been gathered the world seemed to be simmering readying for a boil to wash over and spur another conflict. It was the sort of thing Fanho hoped to cease, but not all were as optimistic as himself and the Raikage to propel the world further. However the cruelty of the world was not a foreign concept, but a shinobi concept that even the council shared from the sounds of it. Another battle for Fanho to fight, another day to push forward and break through his own limits and bring forth the dream he saw.

Toshi

Post by Toshi » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:56 am

"I'm a pretty skewed person," Tousha countered with a feint smile. Then the Nara fell silent as the Bannin continued speaking, clearly irritated with his answer. Another man may have become defensive, attempting to shrug off the criticism or deflect it with half-baked excuses. Perhaps even resorting to anger or a call to arms to hide a misguided, wounded sense of pride. It wasn't an easy thing having deep-rooted and well founded worldviews questioned and prodded.

But, as Fanho continued speaking openly and clearly, Tousha only quietly sipped at his tea. The Nara's own even gaze rested on the meticulously manicured water garden, his expression impregnable.

Once Fanho had said his part the Kage let the youth's words linger around them in silence. Birds chirped, insects buzzed, the wind rusted grass and leaves, but the echoing silence of his guest's words saturated the air itself. It was a heavy pause, almost tangible.

Tousha spoke slowly, picking his words carefully.

"I was explaining who I used to be, my young friend, not the man you're speaking to this afternoon," he started gently. "Though it's fair to criticize my skepticism about this line of work, you mistake my feelings. I know how terrible it can be because I have created terror. I acknowledge my own weakness because that is how we grow stronger, so don't confuse my personal reservations for apathy. Do not assume that my path is so distant from your own, you simply haven't walked it long enough."

The Kage took another sip of tea before adding, "Humans can be weapons, Fanho, but that doesn't mean weapons can't be human. The difference between the two is a matter of choice and I have chosen the side of humanity."
Last edited by Toshi on Fri May 22, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharacterShow

Director
Hokage
Hokage

Post by Director » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:48 am

Fanho listened intently to the former Hokage's words. It was quite true, Fanho took the words and hadn't listened to the nuance behind Tousha's speaking. There was distinct difference between their tones. While there was calmness instilled in Tousha's voice that didn't disrupt the air, Fanho's was vibrant and loud pushing its way to the top. Maybe it'd be best to match Tousha's attitude to maximize what there'd be to learn in his words. It was true, the former Hokage wasn't a wheel in the old system. In-fact he was in the same seat Fanho would be and not different in terms of their goals. As Tousha continued Fanho nodded along listening intently to not mix up Tousha's words again and to create another outburst. The young Bannin gave a chuckle at the end of Tousha's words. "I did misunderstand you. A lesson learned for next time right?"

Maybe it was indeed foolish to fight tradition, a council, village, and societal system setup in a country to revolve this way for years with war and shinobi as super weapons. However if it was a fools gambit, then Fanho would be the worst offender of them all. "Well maybe it is foolish." The young Awai let off a smirk and laugh that broke the still air in the garden. Despite wanting to match Tousha's patient nature, it just wasn't in Fanho's nature to let a good opportunity to take a laugh go to waste. "Well then let me be a fool for a bit longer. Maybe we can create a future of fools. It'd be better than a future of people who acted like they weren't fools."

As the thoughts of a world where Fanho actually achieved peace brought a smile to his face. Although he had to be pragmatic, it was healthy, and necessary to dream. It'd help shape the world he hoped to create. He couldn't right all the wrongs in the world, but at the least he could try to help the shinobi villages from any future wars that may break out. It had been about a hundred years since the last great war, and he wanted to prevent another from brewing. As Fanho took in the still garden air once more, with the babbling brook of a small fountain he exhaled the exciting tension he had built up in his body before looking towards Tousha. "If we were to change the system where do you propose we start?"

Toshi

Post by Toshi » Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 pm

Tousha smiled pleasantly as Fahno spoke. It was a sign of maturity to understand and acknowledge one's misconceptions of another. Too often snap judgments lingered on a person's perspective, tarnishing it unfairly. It eased the older Shinobi's mind to see such insight in the up and coming generation. At least from one of its upstarts.

Kid couldn't drink tea for shit, but it was a start.

The dark haired man remained quiet and contemplative as the youth pressed on, his smile only growing as Fahno laughed. It was a painfully innocent sound, one unblemished by the worries of the world. Not to say the boy didn't have stresses in his life, he was a Shinobi and worries always came with the uniform. No, it was a sound that retained its innocence despite the world around it. That made it much more admirable.

"I'll drink to that," Tousha said, grinning and raising his cup before taking a healthy gulp. Then he sighed and added, "A future of fools... That's something I'd like to see."

The Nara returned Fahno's gaze, and listened to his question intently. In a purely mechanical motion, one practiced over years without effort, the older Shinobi scratched at the stubble riddling his jaw and cheeks. He let out a 'hmmm' that he hoped sounded wise. Maybe sage-like, if he could even pull that off. It was certainly a question he'd thought long and hard about himself. On his travels the Kage had been blessed with a surplus of free time to ponder on such things. But for all that time walking and thinking, thinking and walking, Tousha wasn't sure if he'd ever spoken about those musings to anyone.

Finally the Kage said in a measured tone, "I think... Maybe we should start with ourselves." Then he shrugged and said, "Not just me and you of course, I mean us. Shinobi. If we can convince ourselves that this world doesn't have to be one, big power grab. Some... desperate scramble to kill each other off."

Another sip of tea, another sigh. "If people can wrap their heads around that I think we'll be off to a great start."
CharacterShow

Director
Hokage
Hokage

Post by Director » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:01 pm

Fanho leaned back as he craned his neck to look over the tree horizon looming over the garden. He made a soured face as if in deep thought pondering Tousha's words. His brain rattling through at over one-hundred and twenty miles per hour about how do we start with shinobi-hood as a whole. For some villages it didn't even matter the value of a shinobi, civilian, politician, their value was derived in the highest bidder or one with the strongest will to make their future a reality even if it resulted in unnecessary corpses to be climbed over. Such was the Kiri way at least their families played shogi with lives and bent the knee when it came to their own.

He cocked his head back towards the Shadow Hokage as he relaxed his expression now squinting and nodding along. "Hmmm.... Yeah that's a tall order." The Awai normalized his expression as he shrugged letting out a flub of the lips, a raspberry filling the silent air between him and Tousha. "Not to say I'm not going for it, but some people are gonna be harder to convince than others."

The tea cup cradled in his hand, Fanho rapped against the cup gently with his other hand. "I guess the question then begs, what do you do with the people who can't be convinced. Sure we can make it go away, get a majority to even agree to it. What about the people that all they do is eat, live, and breathe that philosophy."

His head rocked from side to side weighing options deep in the back of his mind routing his own ideas about it, but posturing the big question it all surrounded. "Final question is, how you do you convince the people that don't want to be convinced?"
Last edited by Director on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Konohagakure no Sato”