Episode 2: Arcade extravaganza

Legacy
User flair: Conflict begets Growth

Episode 2: Arcade extravaganza

Post by Legacy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:04 pm

Learned disciplineShow
*[Flawless Aim Style • Tracking]
D-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
After much training and study, the practitioner has learned how to read an opponent's movements and adjust their aim accordingly to compensate without penalty. This Discipline allows the practitioner to accurately hit moving targets, though sudden changes in the opponent's movements will still affect accuracy.

After a short walk from Konoha's gates and several stops in between, Takanobu came upon an arcade set up. He knew that the placement could be nothing else because there was an announcer present who'd made it his duty to let everyone know what stood in front of them. "Come one! Come all! Think you've got an arm but how good is your eye? Hit three targets and get a prize. Hit three more and earn a special reward!"

Takanobu watched as one by one people formed a neat and orderly line just left of the announcer, their faces visibly aglow with determination. Directly ahead of the line was a set up composed of durable wood and fox hide, straw hay intertwined with coil and blankets artistically designed to resemble Kabuki characters. All in all, to Takanobu at least, it was pleasing to look at. Within the set up were several stationary round targets that couldn't have been larger than an adult Human hand. It was implied that the size and shape of each target would make the winning the game that much more challenging and a promise of prize all but sold players to include Takanobu himself who stood in line with a youthful smile awaiting his turn.

As the first contestant stepped forward and professed their readiness something interesting occured. It was a subtle movement but Takanobu had witnessed the announcer press a button with his body. Soon after, the targets began to shift and move at odd intervals from right to left then back again. "Whoah!" He exclaimed.

If hitting the targets had been difficult before, doing so now while they moved at such an alarming pace was even more challenging. To Many, including Takanobu, keeping track of each target became a true test once they'd got going and if not for his position in back of the line Taka wouldn't have been able to study both target and those who sought to hit them.

One after another each contestant tried and failed to strike the targets. Some had managed to land their throws but only with glancing impacts that were not enough to knock the targets down. With each failure, though, Takanobu learned from their mistakes. By the fifth person he'd had it in his mind to aim for where the target would end up rather than where it was - theorizing that striking a moving object may have been easier if he placed his throws for those empty spaces instead of gambling on luck or some other power for success. This theory proved to be correct when the fifth person had managed to knock down two of three targets required for a prize; to the excitement of the crowd.

Nice! One more and you win a prize! Think he can do it folks?" Takanobu gave the announcer much credit for his showmanship and the man up to throw seemed eager himself to please. He drew out his final throw, winding back slowly and focused; behind him, the gathered mass murmured amongst themselves. Meanwhile, Takanobu studied the speed that the targets were moving at and realized that his eyes were adjusting to them now. He could see them much more clearly and though the sudden clarity puzzled him at first, he was happy that he could follow them. Briefly, he recalled the lessons taught at Konoha's ninja academy about what to do when attempting to throw a Shinobi tool and those teachings aided in his development now.

A Senju's thought:
If I can account for the shift in target speed and time my throws accordingly, I should be able to strike them just as they approach a central point and knock them down. If I don't guage each target properly, though, I will surely miss and embarrass myself. I bare the leaf sigil across my forehead and Konoha's will is my strength. There is no way I'll lose!

Takanobu stepped forward, greeting the announcer with a respectful bow though he would not dip his head. That was a courtesy reserved for members of the Senju clan during and after meetings. It was also a gesture that suited high superiors such as the Hokage or recognized envoys of similar stature. Instead, Takanobu leaned forward slightly and cupped one hand with the other before rising, maintaining level eye contact with the announcer who didn't seem at all used to the formality. "Er..hello young sir. " He'd say and as if to realize that the longer pause than usual, continued. "Have you a name?" He asked curiously, pretending not to notice the leaf village headband denoting Takanobu's status as a shinobi or the sword handle peeking out from around his shoulders. "Takanobu, sir." Takanobu replied.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! Introducing our next contestant for the toss up; a young fella by the name of Takanobu! Think he'll be able to hit 'em all? Lets find out together, shall we?" Just like before with the other contestants the announcer stepped to one side and leaned his body up against the stand. This time, Takanobu saw which hand he'd used to press a button activating the targets and smiled beneath his mask.

He'd studied this part enough times now and was ready to show just what he'd learned, taking up a golf ball in one hand Takanobu sunk the first target.
ACTIVE CHARACTERShow

Return to “Konohagakure no Sato”