What's the plural for "Arachnid"? - Graded

TyDie

What's the plural for "Arachnid"? - Graded

Post by TyDie » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:25 pm

The sun hung high above the village hidden in the leaves, not a cloud in the sky as the brutal heat of summer roasted the village beneath. Of course, for an outdoors type like Aiya, the discomfort of sweat and heat wasn't that big of a deal - and it surely wouldn't stop her from training. Drops of sweat fell down her face as the woman breathed heavy, a dozen wooden training dummies all sustaining various levels of damage from her many weapons both blunt and sharp. Currently, she held her shield and sword in hand, the rings along the back of her sword jingling ever so slightly as she twirled it around in her hand.

With a breath to steady herself, Aiya narrowed her eyes at one of the dummies, rearing back with her left hand before letting out a yell as she threw her arm forward, chucking the shield with all of her might towards the dummy. The sound of it spiraling through the air, slashing it's way towards the dummy, could be heard a good distance away. Aiya followed along behind the shield, ducking under it as it hit the dummy and bounced back towards her. As she ducked under the shield, she lashed out with her sword, leaving a deep gash in the dummy while the shield flew behind her towards another dummy. She'd then pivot to the right and slash deep into that dummy while her shield bounced towards the same dummy, bouncing off towards the first dummy again while Aiya threw her entire sword at yet another dummy. As the shield bounced towards her, she'd quickly catch the defensive implement and rush towards the dummy that had her sword now embedded in it, bashing hard into the wood and splintering the entire dummy down the middle, where the blade had impaled it.

Her little demonstration complete, she removed the sword from the dummy with a grunt and fell backwards onto her butt with a huff. "Man... it's so hot. Shit... I think I might be done for the day." The woman spoke idly to herself, unaware that she had an audience... which, given her acute senses, being caught unaware wasn't something she was used to.
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Kumogakure no SatoJinrai ShizuneGenin[color=#de2c9b][/color]

Kabu

What's the plural for "Arachnid"?

Post by Kabu » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:04 pm

About a year had passed since she had disowned her family and run away from home and Kureha had slowly felt herself growing much happier, much more sure of herself. She felt so free, not being tied down by guilt or worry about what the future may hold. That didn't mean she didn't still have things on her mind however. No, there was one very important thing that had been resting in the back of her mind. An important decision that really had been made a very long time ago but she had been told to hold onto, to make sure she was absolutely certain. She had thought long and hard about it, eventually coming to realize her mind had not changed once in the time she had been given.

Having made up her mind for good, she had headed towards the one place she was most likely to find Aiya, the training grounds. The plan initially had been to delivery the news straight away but things hadn't worked out quite as expected... She had gotten caught up in the spectacle and was currently sat on a bench, caught up in watching the other girl hard at work. It was honestly quite an amazing sight. It was no small wonder how Aiya had performed so very well during the Chuunin Exams, at least that was how Kureha herself felt in this moment.

Soon enough however the show was over and Kureha got up from her seat, clapping as she walked over towards Aiya, whom she was certain hadn't yet noticed her.

She stood in front of the girl, an amused grin on her face as she held out her hand in an effort to help lift her up off the ground. "Thanks for the show Aiya, that was a spectacular performance! One suitable of a new village Chuunin!"
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Nakano Kiyomi - #8E47AD], Nakano Ayaka - #0C1C8C
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Karagata yamada - #CE1126, Makura Ayame - #7251BC
Kabu's Test Thread

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:10 pm

Aiya's ears perked up and her head jerked suddenly as she heard the clapping coming from behind her, quickly realizing by scent before sight that it was Kureha. "Oh gosh, don't scare me like that!" The woman held her chest in minor shock, but eventually breathed deeply as the shock wore off and Kureha helped her to her feet. Kureha would note that her friend's hands were incredibly sweaty, though that was to be expected of course given the temperature and the hard work Aiya was just putting in. "Thanks Kureha. For the help and the compliments. That tournament was fierce, but I'm proud to have brought the win home for Konoha." Rising to her feet, Aiya would dust herself off, patting her butt a few times before reaching down for her weapons. As she placed her hands on her sword and shield, a small amount of chakra would cause her weapons to disappear in a poof of smoke, returning to the fuuin on her back.

"Funny, I was just saying to myself that I was done for the day. It's too damn hot to keep going, I need some water..." Aiya spoke as she walked, moving towards a small gathering of items left by a nearby tree, where she could lean against the tree and get some shade. Reaching for a canteen she had brought with her, the clattering of ice could be heard as she lifted the canteen to her lips and took a large drink, a refreshed sigh following her gulps. "It's brutal today, you should have some too hon." She'd offer the canteen to Kureha with a smile, obviously never one to be afraid of sharing germs with someone.

Whether she took the canteen or not, Aiya would wipe her brow with a towel she had brought along to get some of the sweat off her face while she spoke. "So what brings you out here today Kureha? It's not often you come looking for me while training."
Active Characters

Kabu

Post by Kabu » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:35 pm

Kureha gladly accepted the offered canteen and drank, letting out a relieved sigh as she handed it back. "You're right, it really is far too hot today. Feels like not too long ago it was a whole lot cooler." she spoke, briefly fanning herself with her hand. If she had known it would be so hot she would have dressed a lot lighter. She didn't understand how some people could dare to work in this kind of weather but she didn't actually voice it, knowing full well she needed to get some training in of her own. She had been a shinobi for a while now but she often got told that she still didn't quite understand the value of training even in the harshest of circumstances.

Then it came, Kureha taking a deep breath as Aiya asked what she was here for. Her friend really could read her like a book, or at the very least knew her tendencies well enough to know something was off. "I've been thinking about it just as I was told to and I've finally come to my answer..." she paused, taking a moment to calm her rapidly beating heart. Now she had made her choice there would be no going back and it honestly made her nervous, but also excited for what was to come. And she absolutely needed to say it now. Sure she would have plenty of opportunities later on but no, if she didn't say it now then who knew when she would find the nerves again. "I had decided a long time ago, as you know, but now after a lot of thought I've truly made up my mind. I want to do it, I want to become an Ibakuro."
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:05 pm

Aiya took the canteen back with a smile, taking a moment to tilt her head back and pour some of the ice cold water over her forehead and through her hair. The cold water almost immediately cooled her temperature down, and she let out a relaxed sigh as the coolness traveled through her body. A couple more dabs of cold water on her wrists, where the blood circulation was the greatest, and she would likely be back to normal in a few minutes. "Yeah, after travelling to other lands, I've come to realize that intense heat really isn't for me. Amegakure was so much cooler, and the rain was a nice change of pace compared to the sun beating down every day..."

She trailed off and let Kureha speak what was on her mind, ringing out her long black hair before tying it into a pony tail to keep the sweaty locks out of her face. As Kureha's nervousness rose, Aiya tilted her head in confusion and concern. Was this something to do with her family or something? She was concerned of course, the girl's family were incredibly abusive towards one another and it left Kureha in a horrible position, caught in the cross fire. However, Aiya's face contorted into shocked excitement as the truth came out... Kureha was going to become like her?

"Oh...My... GOD!! AHHH!!" The girl grabbed Kureha's shoulders and began to hop in excitement, squealing like a girl who had just kissed her first love. She pulled Kureha in close for a big, tight hug, which was more of a squeeze if she was being honest with herself. When she finally released the girl, the smile on her face was even warmer than the sun above. "I can't believe it, I'm so excited for you hon! But are you sure? I know you've been thinking about this a long time, but I mean... You can't go back once the procedure is done. And it'll fully cut you off from your birth family - But I mean, if I'm speaking freely, I don't think that's such a bad thing..."

She didn't like to speak ill of Kureha's family, but she couldn't help herself... the pain that they had caused her friend was too much for Aiya to patiently handle.
Active Characters

Kabu

Post by Kabu » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:08 am

Kureha smiled as Aiya hugged her, simultaneously shocked but happy beyond belief that her friend was so excited for her decision. Her giddiness was really quite adorable, and really though she didn't much show it, she shared in the excitement. She honestly couldn't believe just how happy she was, and nothing had actually happened yet. "Yeah, I'm entirely sure. My mind hasn't changed since that day. I know that I can't go back and I know that I'll no longer have ties to my birth family." she thoughtfully responded, turning to look over towards the horizon. "I loved my parents, in some ways I still do, but I can't be a part of that anymore. I had a few realizations and lately... I've been feeling happier than I have in a very long time." she turned back towards Aiya with a warm genuine smile, one of the few she had shown in years.

"I will admit though, I'm scared and more than a little nervous. It is a very big change and there's no way to know what will happen from here." she suddenly spoke after a moment's silence, walking back over towards the bench and taking a seat. It's strange however... I'm also excited for the same reasons. Excited to start a new chapter in my life, to finally start moving forward. It feels like the clock is finally ticking again after having been frozen for so very long."
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:45 pm

Aiya would follow the woman to the bench as she spoke, nodding in understanding and affirmation as she made clear that her decision had already been made so long ago. Kureha knew it, Aiya knew it, but to finally admit it aloud was no doubt a weight off of her friend's chest. Of course, regardless of what Kureha did, her family would always have some level of influence in her life. But in this way, she could say that she was no longer related to them, and that was music to Aiya's ears. "Of course you love your parents, Kureha. That's natural. You can love someone and not like them, you can love them but still admit that they're not good people. It's just... more painful that way, I'd imagine."

She rested a hand on Kureha's shoulder as she took a seat next to her, rubbing her shoulder gently as she spoke of uncertainty. "I'd be nervous too, if that helps. Treading into new territory like this is never easy, but I know something that'll help put you at ease." Turning her head to look at the woman, her strange eyes locking with Kureha's own brown orbs, a small smile on her face. "If you do this, it will cut you off from your current family, true... But it'll also make you a part of mine. You'd be my cousin." The girl's small smile grew as she said the words aloud, she had always wanted to personally greet a new Ibakuro as they took the plunge and joined with her clan's blood. This was the first chance she had had to do so, and of course it was with one of her best friends.

"So what do you say, Kureha? Shall we go make your intent clear to Ibakuro, Yosuke? I think we can find him at his home if we hurry."
Active Characters

Kabu

Post by Kabu » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:02 pm

It took Kureha a second to fully realize the implication of Aiya's words, though she squealed in joy as it finally clicked. She couldn't help but reach over and pull the girl into a tight hug, joyful tears running down her face at the news. "Aaaah! I never even thought about that! That just makes this all the better!" It really hadn't occurred to her she and Aiya would be cousins once the procedure had finished. Her best friend would be a part of her family, it almost didn't feel entirely real. For the first time since the troubles all began... she would have a family that actually cared about her. She had long since forgotten what such a thing really felt like but in this moment she felt maybe like she was beginning to remember.

"Let's go! Let's go! I wanna get this done as soon as possible!" she jumped off the bench and grabbed Aiya's hand, clearly raring to go. Her nervousness was still present but for the time being at least it was overpowered by some mix of joy and excitement.

Deep down some part of her was wondering if this all was really okay but in her heart she knew she was making the right choice. All that was left now was to actually get it done.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:10 pm

Aiya chuckled softly as her friend pulled her into her embrace, and Aiya's own arms came up around Kureha's back to match her hug with her own. "Haha, I'm glad I brought it up then! You're not going to be without family, you're just giving up one for another. In my opinion, you're trading up, haha." Eventually, the two would release each other and Aiya would rise from the bench. "Sorry about the sweat, haha. Let's get this going huh?" Kureha grabbed her hand after jumping up giddily, and Aiya smiled and nodded at her eager request.

"Yes. Let's get this done. It's long overdue." Aiya stated simply as the two made their way off the training ground and towards the Ibakuro clan compound.
- One Week Later- The discussions had been had. The evaluations had been passed. And the final decision had been made. Now, Aiya sat in a waiting room, shifting uneasily in her seat while she waited for the procedure to be finished. It had been hours already, having started in the morning and carried on into the late afternoon. To say that Aiya was nervous was a severe understatement... Sure, Saigo was the greatest medic that Konoha had ever seen, and he had done this procedure more than once already, but... things happen. All Aiya could do was wait, and boy did she hate waiting...

After what seemed like an eternity though, a woman came to alert Aiya that her friend was in her room again and the operation was a success. A breath of relief was expelled, as if she had been holding her breath for literal hours as the words settled in and the truth became clear. Kureha had done it... Aiya was taken back to the recovery room and let inside, where her friend was still likely groggy and waking up from anesthetic.

"Kureha... Hon... You okay?"
Active Characters

Kabu

Post by Kabu » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:24 pm

Kureha groaned as her now green and black eyes opened, the girl looking around at her surroundings as she attempted to sit up. She realized she was in a hospital bed but why? She didn't remember being sick or injured... It was only as Aiya entered the room that the memories came rushing back to her. "Oh yeah, the procedure..." she spoke under her breath. That was right, she must have been put under shortly after they had arrived. She remembered being particularly eager to get it done.

Lost in thought as she was it took a moment to register that she was being spoken to. "Yeah, I'm okay. Groggy and a bit sore but otherwise okay." she responded with a small smile, too tired to really manage much more than that.

Through all this there was one question looming in the back of her mind. "So, did it work? I don't really feel any different and can't see myself so I have no way of knowing." she spoke, head tilted as she looked towards Aiya.

She really hoped that this had worked... She didn't know what she would do after they had put in all that time and effort only for it to fail.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:01 pm

Aiya walked into the room to a very groggy Kureha, her eyes just barely opening for the first time since she went in for the DNA splicing. As they opened, Aiya took one look at her eyes and grinned ear to ear. Yet for the time being, she said nothing - she wanted her friend to come fully back to the waking world before she responded to her. And eventually, the more she spoke and the more she shuffled around, the more awake she became. Eventually, she asked the question that Aiya was waiting for... Had it worked? A small chuckle came from Aiya as she reached into her pocket, producing a small pocket mirror and handing it to the girl.

"See for yourself, Kureha."

When Kureha went to look she'd find that her eyes had indeed taken on the same traits as the Ibakuro clan - Green Sclerae with blackened irides and pupils. As she handed the girl the mirror, a sudden shifting and shuffling in her hair caused Aiya to look up and chuckle. "Oh, right. I forgot about your friend." Aiya said, reaching up into her hair and slowly removing a large furry tarantula from a makeshift nest in her hair. "I do believe he missed you, haha." Letting the spider crawl back to it's home on Kureha, Aiya took a seat near the bed and began to run through the basics.

"So the procedure was successful, you have officially been bonded to our clan and granted the power of the Spider Blood. It'll take some practice to get used to, but you'll find that every Ibakuro's form manifests a little bit differently. For example, my traits most closely resemble the Black Widow spider - I even have the famous hourglass on my back. Who knows what yours will look like, but the overall idea will be the same - arms, eyes, armor, itchy hairs, fangs. You can also learn to use our unique Webbing ninjutsu, which is a derivative of Suiton... though I admit, I'm not the most well versed in that area, haha. My father would be a better tutor if that's what you wanted."

"Oh..." Aiya paused for a moment, looking to the chart kept at the bottom of Kureha's bed - typical fair for patients in a hospital. Picking the board up, she smirked for a moment and stood to walk by the side of her bed. "...The other thing. It's official now, Kureha. You are my cousin." As Aiya handed the clipboard to her friend, Kureha would be able to read the name at the top of the board:

"Ibakuro, Kureha"
Active Characters

Kabu

Post by Kabu » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:52 pm

Kureha blinked as she accepted the mirror, taking in her reflection. She was definitely seeing her own face but there was one crucial difference... green sclerae with blackened irides and pupils. That meant...? She looked over towards Aiya and then back towards her reflection. Yep, they were the same alright. "So that means it did work..." she quietly spoke, giggling as Aiya took Roku out of her hair and returned him to her. So that was where he was. She remembered now she had handed him over to Aiya for safekeeping. She was really the only other person he would let hold or pet him and so was the only one she could trust.

"Sorry Roku. You couldn't stay with me, you would have gotten hurt. You must really like Aiya though, hm? That's good." she spoke to the tarantula, petting him a moment before letting him crawl up to his home in her hair. "It did feel a little bit lonely without you up there, buddy." she quietly added, turning her attention back to Aiya as the girl spoke.

She listened intently to Aiya's explanation, head tilted as she wondered what her own transformation would be like. A tarantula like Roku? Maybe something much more menacing? Venomous or no? There were so many questions and possibilities it was easy to wonder. She did know for sure she was interested in that webbing Ninjutsu Aiya mentioned, her eyes sparkling as she imagined the many uses it would have. It could be used in tandem with her weapons or even used as an initiator for Genjutsu, again there were so many possibilities it was hard not to get excited.

She was getting truly excited for learning to make use of her new abilities but it seemed there was one more thing to get excited over as Aiya handed her a clipboard. She couldn't help it, she began crying joyful tears as she read her name. It was finally official... "Ibakuro, Kureha... it has a nice ring to it." she quietly spoke.

She let out a quiet sigh, waiting to calm down before setting down the clipboard and turning back towards Aiya once more. She was feeling truly happy, happy beyond belief really. With all the extra feelings that came with it.

"I guess the next chapter of my life can finally begin. Ey cousin?"
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:10 pm

Aiya was so proud of her friend... this was a huge decision, a very big step not only in her ninja career but in her life as a whole. And yet, she met it head on, with only as much trepidation as she would expect of any sane person. Truly, she was amazed at the will of Kureha, and her ability to follow through with her choice to become part of the Ibakuro clan. "Hehe... you're right. It sounds right. Like it was meant to be that way from the beginning." Aiya stood and took the clipboard back to where it belonged, her hand drifting over Kureha's face for a moment to wipe away a couple of tears as she did so. They were happy tears of course, but nevertheless, she didn't want to see her friend cry. Her pretty face didn't deserve to be stained with tears.

"We'll have to get together when you're back up to speed and cleared by the doctors, so I can escort you around the Ibakuro compound properly and fill you in on all that you need to know about us. And of course, we'll have to teach you how to access your newfound power, won't we?" She smirked at the woman, as there was no doubt in Aiya's mind that the woman would want to explore the powers of the spider blood. It was only natural of course - When you got a new toy, you wanted to play with it as soon as possible.

"I think I'll leave you to rest now, Kureha. Make sure you listen to Saigo, he'll have you out of here in a couple days at most. And let me be the first to say it..." Aiya would move towards the door, turning her head as she neared the threshold and smiling at her friend and newly bonded cousin.

"Welcome to the Ibakuro clan, Kureha."
Active Characters

Kabu

Post by Kabu » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:34 pm

"I'm happy to be a part of the family. Looking forward to learning more about the clan and my new abilities." Kureha spoke, smiling as she watched Aiya leave. Some part of her wanted to ask the girl to stay but she was sure she had other things to do. She also really did need her rest if she were to recover quickly.

Once Aiya was gone she suddenly felt tired, letting out a yawn and collapsing back onto the bed. She couldn't help but sigh as she stared up at the ceiling. So this was really it... a new chapter of her life was really about to begin. Some part of her wondered if maybe this was all part of some greater plan, that it really had been meant to be this way. If so, it had been the plan of some cruel god... tearing her family apart and then waiting so long before letting her find a semblance of happiness.

She felt movement in her hair as little Roku crawled out and stared at her, soon letting out a chirp and moving to crawl onto her chest where he once again promptly fell asleep. "Oops, maybe I should have had Aiya take care of you for a little longer. Oh well, I'm sure Saigo won't mind as long as you behave." she spoke, smiling again at the sight of her little friend snoozing away. Roku had been her first real friend.. they had been together for a very long time now and now she was basically a spider herself, albeit in human form, almost like some kind of superhero or something. "You know Roku, maybe one day I'll start training you to help me fight. After all, we are much more similar now and I'm sure we would be great partners." she continued, the thought suddenly having crossed her mind that many shinobi had pets that traveled and fought alongside them during missions and such. And she was certain that the two of them would make for a great team.

For now though she closed her eyes and fell asleep, reaching out to hug her little friend closer to her all the while. That was in the future, right now it was time for a nap, time to rest and regain her strength so she could truly begin her new life.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

TheLacarix

Post by TheLacarix » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:53 am