The Light of Yuumagure

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:59 pm

It was a few days after Emi had come to Konohagakure by now, the news of the Kazekage's passing had already been passed along to the family of the Hokage and all those who Kiyori had felt needed to know. All in all, the portion of the Kazekage's Last Will pertaining speficially to Konoha had been fulfilled by her daughter... except for one last detail. The girl had been given a strange, ornate sword hilt - Just the hilt, with no blade to speak of - as a sort of "inheritance" from her mother, with a very specific instruction: "Go to Konoha, and seek out Awai, Fanho. He will know what to do with it."

Truth be told, Emi was already annoyed as hell that she was doing any of this. Were it not for the fact that she respected her mother to at least some degree, she wouldn't have bothered at all. But still, she was here, and this was her duty to her late mother. She would see it through, whether she liked it or not, if only to put it all behind her. And so, after passing information through the grape vine of the Natsuki family, Emi had set up a meeting with the bannin known as Fanho, to meet at a secluded training ground within the borders of Konohagakure. It was a wooded area, hard to see unless you knew where to look, obscured by foliage and thick tree trunks. The clearing in the middle was only 30 meters in diameter, and otherwise it was barren and plain earth: Perfect for one looking to train without causing wanton destruction.

Here, on a small rock, Emi sat and admired the foliage of Konoha, taking in the wonders of their plant life by analyzing a nearby shrub. Here she waited for the Awai to show up.
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Director
Hokage
Hokage
User flair: If you read this, you're gay.

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:04 pm

Fanho walked to the secluded training area. He had been asked by the Hokage to meet with the Kazekage's daughter. He would mentor her, and help supply a blade by the end of it. Only on one condition however, on the condition that Fanho would approve her to be supplied the blade. Otherwise she just gets an empty hilt. A legacy of her mother but only capable of being activated by the Awai. Approval by me, huh? Well guess we'll just see how this 'Emi' is. Fanho had been warned she didn't favor her mother at all, a strong disdain for her. He was no stranger to people disliking their Kage, but this one was really personal.

He was the one to originally train Kiyori, which made sense why he was delegated to take care of this important task of her will. A blade of Hiton, the prized fusion of Konoha. However he was warned only to do so if he approved of Emi. So he'd let her make her case. Takeo entrusted Fanho this task, after all it was Fanho who originally blessed Kiyori to retain Hiton. As Fanho walked onto the field he announced his presence.

"Kept you waiting, huh?" Fanho inquired the young Henrin before following up his greeting. "What brings you here?"
Character: Awai, Fanho | Rank: Hokage | Village: Konoha | Color Code: [b][color=#682860]
Character: Konshi, Yuichi | Rank: Jounin | Village: Kumogakure | Color Code: [b][color=#0051BA]

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:26 pm

As Emi heard the voice from somewhere behind her, she stood up and turned to look at the approaching man. Thin and lanky with grayish hair, the man didn't really look like much at a glance, but she knew better than to think that her mother would send her to someone weak. Whoever this Fanho was, she had no doubt he was a powerful shinobi. "Mmm, not too much waiting." The girl said with a small smile, brushing her black hair out of her face and tucking it behind her forehead protector. He asked why she was here, and with a shrug the girl reached for the hilt her mother had given her. "I assume by now word must have gotten to you. I came here from Sunagakure to fulfill part of my mother's... last will. I'm Henrin, Emi. The former Kazekage, Kiyori, was my mother."

She wasn't as reserved as she had been with the Natsuki family - They had been close friends, not only to her but to her mother. She didn't want to be blunt with them, but she didn't know this man. Furthermore, he didn't seem the type to break down in tears. No, she had a feeling being straightforward was the best approach here. "I don't know what she wanted with this, but she was very clear. Take this hilt and give it to Awai, Fanho. He would know what to do. So, here." She walked over to the man nonchalantly and unceremoniously extended the hilt for him to take in his hand. As far as she knew, that was the end of her involvement with the thing. "I assume it was something meant for you to keep, I have no idea what it is. Seems useless to be honest."
Active Characters
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:01 pm

"Huh? A hilt?" Fanho played with the hilt twirling it between his fingers as he channeled Hiton chakra into it forming a dull grey blade of his own chakra before cutting it off. "Well I'm pretty certain I'm not in her will. You sure its not yours?" Fanho continued to twirl it in his hand before he held it back out to Emi. "I'm not much of a swordsman anyways."

"I don't think I got to meet you when I was out in Suna. I trained your mom when she discovered she had Hiton. My clans elemental release." Fanho thought back on the time he had been out in Suna. Learning, teaching, and getting along with Suna. The first of their new traversal system allowing shinobi to train and reside in each other's villages as apart of their alliances. While the intent was for Fanho to train to be Hokage and strengthen their friendships, it also strengthened the bonds of the villages.

"I'm assuming this is her way of passing it down to you of some sort considering her control of light couldn't be passed down to her kids." Fanho shrugged as he looked at Emi before leaning against a tree.

"What do you wanna do with the hilt?"
Character: Awai, Fanho | Rank: Hokage | Village: Konoha | Color Code: [b][color=#682860]
Character: Konshi, Yuichi | Rank: Jounin | Village: Kumogakure | Color Code: [b][color=#0051BA]

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:13 pm

Emi raised an eyebrow as the man generated a blade of light from the hilt, shielding her eyes with a hand as the bright light radiated out from the blade. It was a neat trick, but it didn't really do anything for Emi - It was still just a useless old hilt. He questioned if it was hers and held it out to her, and in response Emi shrugged and pushed the hilt back towards Fanho, refusing to take it back. "Hell if I know. She gave me the hilt, told me who to bring it to, then went off to die. As far as I'm concerned you can throw it in a riverbank for all I care." Emi was having a harder and harder time keeping a rein on her bitter attitude towards her mother, finding it harder to hold back the truth of how she felt. "It's just a crummy sword hilt. Not sure what you mean by passing anything down to anyone, a lot of good a hilt can do by itself. You made a blade of light, sure, but that's just a ninjutsu. Mom made all kinds of things out of light. That's where her nickname came from, "The Sun's Radiance", ooooh."

Emi waved her hands around and made a sarcastic sound of shock and awe as she spoke her mother's honorary Kage title. All of the Kazekage were known by an extra title related to the Sun - Kiyori was known as "Taiyou no Kagayaki"; The Sun's Radiance. But all anyone ever did was put her on a pedestal. No one saw what Emi saw... In a huff, she went to sit on a small rock near the tree Fanho leaned against. "I don't know what she expected of me, or of you, in regards to this hilt. Clearly there's something more to it, but all I know is I was supposed to bring it to you. And I did."
Active Characters

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:28 pm

Fanho raised an eyebrow as the hilt was pushed back into his possession before Emi ranted about her mother. Such a deep seated resentment, although not all too unfamiliar with rants of his friends he had heard about Takeo. Seems like everyone's a critic, but this one had a point. Fanho continued to twirl the hilt in his hand as he watched her fume. It seemed the resentment stemmed from her mom's Kazekage title.

"I mean you do have a point. It is just a blade of light and that's just ninjutsu. But that's 'my' ninjutsu. It's 'my' light." Fanho put heavy emphasis on the my part. "Its whatever I want it to be. Honestly light isn't even your mom's ninjutsu technically, its mine." Fanho thumbed towards himself as he took ownership of his clan's release. "If we want to be pedantic about it, its not even mine. Its a long line of light users, I just found a way to use it how I want it."

Fanho shrugged as he looked towards Emi. "Guess your mom's light stuff doesn't sound so special anymore does it? Who do you think taught her how to use it? You know she blinded herself the first time I was training her?" He wanted to make a point that Kiyori really wasn't special. Yeah she was the Kazekage, but in the end she was just a light user the clan had allowed to practice. Otherwise they could've sealed that part away, and make her just an ol' Henrin. However they let her be her own light user, which in the end being you is the most you can do, and otherwise the most important thing you can be.

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:48 pm

Emi nodded in understanding as the member of the Awai clan made clear that Hiton, and light manipulation as a whole, belonged to him and his people - In a sense, Kiyori had stolen it, whether intentional or otherwise. She had known that, but to hear a member of the Awai clan put it in such a mundane light, pointing out that there were dozens of people in his clan that could do what her mother did, actually humanized the woman a little bit. Even more then that, the fact that she actually screwed something up? That got an outright snort out of the girl as she laughed at the image that put in her mind. "Hahaha! Man, I wish I could've seen that. That'd show everyone back home, haha! " She held her sides as she laughed... While it probably sounded cruel, to laugh about her recently departed mother, in a way Emi needed this.

"You know, all my life, all I've ever heard is how special my mother was. She was so strong, so courageous, so magnificent. Such a great person, did so many big things for this world. But none of them know what she was really like... Not you, not Takeo. You're the first person who's ever humanized her like that, pointing out that she made mistakes and had faults just like anyone else. Back home, the Kazekage is viewed as a god basically. It's so... infuriating to hear that all your life." She found that she was squeezing her hands in a fist and trembling as the anger welled up within her, and already she was fighting back tears of rage. To go from laughter to this so quickly... the girl's emotions were all over the place, of that there was no doubt.

"So... you taught her how to use Light, even though it's a release that belongs to your clan. Why? Why didn't you just seal it off or something? Isn't that like, against clan policy?"
Active Characters

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:09 am

"What can I say? I'm a swell guy." Fanho laughed as he looked to the sky reminiscing about the time he had heard Kiyori had light release. The anger the clan had, the concern the council had for the security of the village, and the bewilderment they all felt cause it was such a strange occurrence. Some people declared she had to have it removed by Saigo. Some even went as far as to suggest we assassinate her, but those people were nut cases in Fanho's opinion. The clan while calm and collected we're significantly disturbed by the revelation. While they didn't want Kiyori killed, they certainly we're uncomfortable with clan secrets being out there.

It was one thing to have clan members hunted, but it was another to have some third party out there with it randomly. "Well, most places would kill a person for just having it. I dunno, I guess I just empathized cause it's not like she could help it. It was entirely out of her control." Fanho smiled as he chuckled. "In more ways than one."

The Awai continued as he spoke openly of the dire situation Kiyori put Konoha in. "A lot of people asked for that. To seal it away or have it removed." Fanho shrugged. "I figured we should've helped her. Train her in it, and let her be her own person."

"That's all we are anyways right? Our own people trying to make our way in the world?"

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:42 am

Emi looked to the ground while Fanho looked to the sky, their thought patterns clearly different. Emi was far more of a pessimist, while it seemed Fanho had little worry or care about the situation surrounding Emi's mother. "Far be it from me to judge your take on matters surrounding your clan abilities.I can tell you that the Henrin would not have been quite so understanding, though." Emi sighed as she kicked at a rock, the whole situation clearly wearing on her now. She wasn't sure what Fanho was trying to get at with his vague comments about helping her be her own person, or making our ways in the world. Eventually though, Emi rolled her shoulders in a shrug.

"I think there's more to it then that, Fanho. But I also don't really know where this conversation is going anymore." The woman was simply honest about things, as she always was. Her task was done, why were they still conversing right now? "Is there something I don't know? I gave you the sword like my mother asked me to, but you're still here talking philosophy with me. What's going on?
Active Characters

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:55 am

"Well it wasn't so much the clan was understanding or the village was as a whole. I think I was the only one so understanding about it." Fanho looked to Emi as she shrugged and seemed confused about the conversation, however it seemed to steer right to where Fanho wanted it. He had been vague indeed, trying to prompt Emi to be insightful and be her own person. It was clear to Fanho she felt overshadowed by her mother's legacy, and sought relief when Fanho brought Kiyori to a more down to earth light.

"Sure there's more to it. But it is what you make it. What more you want out of it. What you in all your entirety do. There's billions of people in this world, and yet there's only one of you. Its wild isn't it. Your life has led up to this moment, to come execute this part of your mom's will. However the rest of it past this point?" Fanho shrugged as he held the hilt back out to her. "That part is up to you to decide. As it always has been."

The Awai got up off the tree, as he walked to the center of the training ground in the sunlight after the two had been sitting in the shade talking. "I'll stop mincing my words and talking in riddles. That hilt is yours, I know that much. Its something your mom wanted you to have. A gift from her to you." The Awai crossed his hands behind his back as he nodded towards Emi. "However, before I help you with it. How are you gonna prove you're worthy to have it?"

"Are you, Emi Henrin, worthy of the sword, or are you just some kid of a powerful leader?"

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:29 am

Emi wouldn't comment on the matter of Kiyori retaining her ability to produce and manipulate light any further. Truth be told, it wasn't her place to comment or pry into that subject... it wasn't her clan or ability, and she had no say in the decisions that made it up. But as the man held the hilt back out to her, he spoke of taking control of her future as she desired. That she had done as her mother had asked of her... and it was her time to decide what happened next. The hilt was for her, but why? What did it do besides serve as a reminder of the mother that was never really there for her? Why would she want that? She was about to toss the thing into the forest as she took it from his hand, but then he asked if she was worthy... He called her out.

"...Am I worthy? Really? My mother has some stupid gift that she wanted to leave me, some useless sword without a blade, and you ask if I'm worthy of it? What kind of question is that!?" She lashed out at the man now, not caring what his station or power was. Who was he to question her worth? "I've had my worth questioned since I was born! Do you know how rarely I hear my name? No, I'm just the Daughter of the Kazekage! That's all anyone ever calls me! Well I'll show them, and I'll show you, I'm more than just my mother's kid!"

Her hand was gripping the bladeless hilt so tightly you could hear her hand tensing around it. threatening to draw blood from her palms as she raged. In response, the hilt seemed to glow faintly, as if powered by her rage - but nothing beyond a faint glow would manifest. It was still beyond her, whatever it was. "Go ahead then, test me! I'll prove myself worthy, just to separate my name from hers. I'm Emi, damn it!"
Active Characters

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:06 am

A smile grew across Fanho's face. He felt like some kind of dark lord in a far off galaxy prodding like this and using her anger as a motivator. Although it worked, and luckily he had a plan behind all this prodding and teasing. He wanted Emi to believe in herself, and understand that her own personal value and recognition of herself separate of her mother was all that mattered. Sure it'd be annoying when people would refer to her as the Kazekage's kid, but that it matters less in the scheme of things as long as she believed in herself. This hilt? It was just a symbol of her mother, a token of care and love, but whatever Emi did with it? Well that would be Emi's to decide, and it would be Emi's to use. Her own touch of flare but just as a memento from her mother.

Fanho nodded as Emi lashed out, angrily demanding Fanho test her. "Oh you will now?" Before Fanho beckoned Emi to prove herself, he had to pose one question to her.

It may confuse her and cause her thoughts to race as she moved to prove herself, but that was the intent. To get her to think. Not everything tied to her mother was a dig, dirt in her face, and a reminder of her lineage. "But ask yourself why your mom gave you that hilt. Something to rub in your face about her legacy? A reminder of her? Or a tool for you to use how you see fit, a keepsake from your mom born out of love, but ultimately it is yours to use how you see fit." Sometimes it was just a reminder of where she came from, but ultimately was hers to choose and be whom she wanted to be.

"Well then, prove you are who you say you are. If you can impress me with your skills I'll recognize you as Emi Henrin."

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:15 pm

Emi crossed her arms and let out a small 'hmph' as the man questioned her ability to prove her own worth. She wouldn't even dignify that with a response, of course she would do it. But as he asked her why Kiyori gave her the hilt, Emi didn't hesitate in her answer, narrowing her eyes at the ground as she tightened her arms around herself. "It doesn't matter why she did it. It was about seven years too late." It'd become clearer as the girl kicked a little dirt up off of the ground what really bothered Emi wasn't her mother's legacy - It was her lack of involvement in Emi's life. Her mother was such an influential person to all of these people, but to Emi, her own flesh and blood, she was hardly ever present. To her, this hilt or whatever it was was simply too little too late.

She uncrossed her arms and let them fall to her side, clenching her fists in determination as the man told her to prove herself. "Not a problem. Go ahead, test me. I'm ready." A gleam filled her eye as she waited for the man to give her a task. Whatever it was, she made clear it would be child's play to her... Or at least, that's what she thought.
Active Characters

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:54 pm

"Well the test may be your most daunting yet. Impossible almost I might say." Fanho uncrossed his hands behind his back before he gestured to Emi. The test he'd place before her would be grueling, difficult, and possibly the most challenge she's faced yet. Daunting, fast paced action, and something that she'd have to dig deep for to find the answer. If she wouldn't be up to the task or to fail she would have to find peace in being known as just a Kage's kid. Never her own person. This challenge, task, and problem laid before her would be difficult even for the Kage. They had never faced such terrible odds. No event so stacked against them it would cause them to question their own sanity.

Oh it made Fanho's stomach turn thinking about the dreadful task. Even he himself hadn't wanted to do so. He loathed every minute he had to minute Emi through this. It would be terribly hard on the Genin who had only just started her journey as a shinobi. Daunting for the Kage? Impossible for a Genin. Although he was tasked with the important quest of finding out if she stood up to the challenge. Something she'd have to attack at with every fiber of her being. She'd need to be resourceful, tactful, and above all else hold out hope she could just hold out. Despite the overwhelming feeling it may wash over her.

Like a rat stuck in a trap, it would be time to see if Emi could clutch a victory out of such terrible odds. A real underdog of a tale against indomitable foes. Some drastically out of her skill set she'd need to develop skills on the fly to combat. Something to force her outside of her comfort zone, and to prove once and for all she was who she said she was. Her own person, her own agency, and to live her life to her own accord and on no one else's terms. This challenge would prove to be difficult. However Fanho was ready to deliver his challenge as he cleared his throat narrowing his eyes, furrowing his eyebrows, and speaking in a spooky tone of voice.

"Tell me about yourself. Who is Emi Henrin?"

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:17 pm

Emi stared defiantly at Fanho as he made clear how difficult he expected this task to be for her, but on the inside she had to admit... all his theatre was getting to her. She wondered, just how far would this man really push her? Would she have to go out and slay some great beast? Tame a powerful spirit? Or maybe she'd have to go toe to toe with him, or another powerful shinobi, maybe even the Hokage himself? Was she supposed to win against such a powerful opponent? Her mind was racing over every potential test she could think of, until he finally spoke to her... and her shoulders dropped in confusion and disappointment.

"Wait... that's it?" She said, her tone incredulous and her expression dumbfounded. "I... You're kidding, right?" She waited to see if the man would burst into a fit of laughter or something, reveal it was a joke, and give her the real test... but he seemed serious. Rolling her eyes, she shook her head and took a deep breath. "I think we have different ideas of a daunting test, but if you insist..." She cleared her throat and stood up straight, crossing her arms over her chest as she began.

"My name is Emi Henrin, firstborn of Kiyori Henrin and Arata Fujitsuna. I graduated top of my class from the academy and showed a talent with all common forms of shinobi skills, including an aptitude for Ninjutsu, Taijutsu and Genjutsu. I also showed a great skill with our village's personal Fuuton extension - Kuuton, or Gravity Release. Paired with Raiton and some swordplay, I can fight adequately at any range and in a myraid of scenarios, especially when paired with a bit of misdirection and trickery from my genjutsu arsenal. My control over chakra is so great that I do not use hand seals for any of my techniques - I can mold my chakra without hand seals, be it Nin or Gen that I'm using. While I haven't gone on any serious missions as of yet, I can tell you that I've yet to lose a spar with any of my peers, and I've even given genin a run for their money before I had graduated. I'm a very skilled shinobi for my age, and I'll only get better as the years go on."

Finally relaxing after giving her exposition of what she saw as "herself", Emi smirked at the man. "Does that answer your question?"
Active Characters

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:36 pm

Fanho listened to Emi disbelief as he shook his head to her disbelief. However her answer played right into his hands. A gifted academy student born to the Kazekage? How generic. An aptitude to all fields? Obviously penchant to the fact she was born to the Kazekage. Her battle stances, skills, and chakra control? All boring, and irrelevant to the question. She really wasn't worthy, and Fanho would help build her up to the point she would be. He'd give her the swift kick in the ass she'd need to realize that the philosophical stuff Fanho was spouting off in the beginning was important. That in the question she had overlooked the forest for the tree.

Fanho shrugged and picked on her once more, "So you're just some gifted Kazekage's kid. We have about five little Hokage kiddos running around here. They're all gifted. That doesn't make you different." Fanho sighed as he crouched down before sitting in the middle of the training field rolling his eyes at her answer.

"What makes you Emi Henrin. You can tell me all about your battle skills, your fancy jutsu, and your fancy grades but at the end of the day all that tells me is your some skilled kid of a Kage. We have several of those." Fanho looked around at the trees as he used his hand to gesture to them.

"These leaves may all look the same. They each connect to the same type of tree, are all green, and change shades during the seasons. But they're all unique in their own way. Some may have grown sooner than others, some may be older, and some may be weaker. However that isn't important as how each one behaves, how each one grows. Each is unique in the veins on their leaves, some have a different shade of green due to how they formed, and some may have scars from where they were harmed. But none is truly the same as the other." Fanho sprawled out on his back as he crossed his legs, and put his hands behind his head. Basking in the sun now as he felt they'd be here for quite a while.

"I'll ask again. Who is Emi Henrin?"

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:28 pm

Emi had expected that Fanho would be impressed by her exemplary records and skills as a shinobi, as naturally everyone was. Instead, he simply lumped her in with the rest of the Kage children - of which there were many in Konoha. A look of confusion replaced her smirk, her eyebrow raising in curiosity as she wasn't sure what Fanho was getting at. That was Emi... right? "I... don't get it. What are you getting at?" she said, verbalizing her bewilderment.

As the man lay down on the ground and spoke of leaves on a tree, she couldn't help but roll her eyes at the philosophical bullshit the man was spouting at her. Leave it to the leaf ninja to compare everything to trees and leaves... but maybe that was a good direction to go? "I... also have a love and penchant for Horticulture. I care for my own small garden back home using soil imported from other lands to grow unique and exotic plants not found in Wind Country. I take every opportunity to volunteer with the Naegi family to help manage their greenhouses, which are responsible for keeping the people of Suna fed and healthy. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to herbs and spices, and even more so with Tea leaves... the Hokage treated me to tea left over from the fall of Tea Country, I could hardly believe such tea was commonplace before. Its a shame to know it may never be that way again..."

She wasn't sure if this would suffice - it seemed inconsequential to her, but if her stellar academy record didn't impress him... was he looking for something more?
Active Characters

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:59 pm

"Horticulture and tea is your specialty? I wouldn't have pegged you for it. Though given the oasis there guess it gives you the perfect little green houses, huh?" She was winding down the right path and answering the right questions. Although she was confused now, she subconscious was beginning to get it. It's not about how well she could throw a kunai, anyone could learn to do that well. It was about her passions, her interested, and what got Emi out of that bed every morning. Sure every shinobi can learn to be stellar in the basic arts of every style, but not every shinobi had the same passions as the next. Where as some were amazed at the martial arts and formulation of chakra dedicating their lives to the sciences. Some we're more preoccupied with the arts.

"Whose to say that tea has to be the end? You're a horticulturalist, I'm sure it may be an interesting challenge for you to give wind to tea as equally as good." A gentle shove towards her passions. Recognition where here interests lie. Yes, this would give Emi the acknowledgement she wants for her own passions and interests, Fanho felt. If she felt unsure before, surely Fanho's interest and mutual back and forth would give her the hint she was making headway.

"Somewhat of a generous person you are. Dedicating your time to the small tasks, helping keep people fed, and a connoisseur of tea. You think you see horticulture and tea making in your future? Seems like you have the knack for it."

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:51 pm

Emi smiled a little - not a smirk, a genuine smile - as Fanho seemed to take an interest in her love of plants. "My father had a good friend who was a Naegi. I was left alone and bored a lot, and Ryouichi took the time to teach me how to grow plants the way he did. He always grew all sorts of things for my dad, and they spent a lot of time exchanging plants and such. So when I had free time, which was rather often, I learned a lot about horticulture. He said I had a penchant for it, and... I guess that just stuck with me. Knowing that someone who's entire life revolved around plants was impressed by my talent made me want to get better."

By now, Emi was sitting on the ground in front of Fanho, her legs crossed properly and her hands resting in her life as she fondly reminisced of her time spent learning horticulture from Ryouichi. Fanho pressed her some more, asking if all she intended to do was grow a small garden, and Emi paused for a moment... "I... hadn't thought about it, to be honest. I'm a shinobi; I never really considered I would have the time to dedicate to anything more than a small hobby." Emi looked down at her hands in thought, her mind racing on her hobby and these new thoughts that Fanho was filling her head with. Eventually her mind came back to the task at hand though, and just when Fanho thought he had her...

"What does any of this have to do with this stupid test of yours? This has nothing to do with who I am!"
Active Characters

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:45 pm

The Bannin listened to Emi reminisce about her love of plants, and the discovery of such a wonder for her. Having the knack for plants and such it seemed like she was getting the picture of where Fanho was going. Maybe not there entirely, but bit by bit she was opening up about herself. It felt nice to listen to someone passionately speak about their interests. However wasn't long before she snapped out her happy trance.

Fanho sat up with the sheer strength of his abs. It was one of the perks of being a trained shinobi. He pursed his lips and put a finger up to them to stop her from complaining further.

"Pretty bossy for a young lady." Fanho shrugged before sighing. "Is it not who you are though? I guess you're just some boring skilled shinobi, blessed at what she does, or are you this intriguing shinobi with a passion for horticulture? Anyone can learn to be a skilled shinobi, but who would share your passion about horticulture? Feel the same way you do looking at plants. Talk about it with the same enthusiasm."

Shinobi skills were a dime a dozen, but slowly but surely he was chipping away digging further at what Emi wanted. Who she was. Although to be fair she was young, and had a lot of room left to grow. It wasn't a process that'd be quick, it'd take time, and this one little conversation wouldn't be enough to solidify her identity. However he hoped to lead her on the right path, and inspire her to grow.

"Do you really limit yourself to your skills as a shinobi? There's millions of things unique about you, the chances of you being born out of all others is a one in a million chance, and you limit your identity to just shinobi things?" Fanho sighed as he crossed his legs and leaned forward resting the palms of his hands on his knees. "I'll help you out and give you a hint to the test. Out of all the lame o's in the world, the Kage special kids, and the effortlessly talented kids. What makes you stand out? And don't list your ninja credentials. What makes you as a person different to all those other people."

Fanho threw his hands in the air as if gesturing to the world. "Out of all the titles you could be known for, all the glories, riches of the world, the million of opportunities that exist out there, and the artifacts left undiscovered. What is it that gets you out of bed in the morning? Emi Henrin is so much deeper than just her ability to throw a kunai, and we've only scratched the surface of what makes her not just Kiyori's kid."

Fanho tapped his head before resting his chin in the palm of his hand leaned forward listening intently. "Think, you're so close. Its difficult, but I believe in you."

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:38 am

Emi was clearly frustrated and annoyed with all of this nonsense, but what Fanho was saying was starting to make... some kind of sense. All of her life, her identity had been based primarily on two things: her family and her shinobi calling. And of those two things, her connection to her family, namely her mother, was more of a negative influence on who she was as far as she saw it. In trying to distance herself from her mother's reputation and forge her own... she had based part of who she was off of her mother. And as soon as she realized this, tears of frustration began to well up in her eyes, her hands rushing up to grab the sides of her head.

"Gah, stupid bitch! Even dead she finds a way to piss me off! I'm more than a Kage's kid damn it!" she yelled aloud, though her words were mostly meant for herself as she struggled to come up with more about her, something that set her apart from everyone else. And then it hit her... although, no... that was taboo.

With a deep breath, she wondered if she should speak of it to Fanho... he didn't seem the religious type though. Maybe it would be okay. "As one who follows Her Light, the darkness and things associated with it are seen as unholy and evil. But... I love the dark." to some it would be nothing, but among the devout of Yuumagure, she could be seen as crazy for saying such a thing. She let her shoulders relax, as if a large weight had come off of her chest before wiping away her tears and continuing.

"The Night is just so peaceful in comparison to the hustle and bustle of daytime life. The brutal, overbearing light and heat from the sun is replaced by the calm, serene glow of the moon, which brings a chill that let's me pull my cloak tight to keep snug and warm. Even the nocturnal critters aren't all bad - jerboa are common in Wind Country, little rodents that hop around on two large legs. They're quite adorable if you can get one to let you hold it. I don't understand why its seen in such a negative way, if people put aside their bias they might see the value of a tranquil, peaceful night."

She had begun by looking at the man in his eyes, but as she trailed off into thought, her mind and eyes wandered over the field they sat in. She searched her mind for answers, and this was the best she could come up with for now. Plus, she had heard the story of how her mother acquired the ability to use Light, falling into a dim, dank temple under the sands.

For Kiyori that was hell... Emi thought it sounded wonderful.
Active Characters

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:53 pm

Fanho nodded as Emi poured her heart out. Something he knew as taboo over in Suna was something she was interested in. Found peaceful even, and even made her question her beliefs of Suna. The Awai nodded along intently listening to her speak so enthusiastic and somewhat terrified of her own interests. Terrified of her own interests though? Or terrified of the perception if she were to expose her interest to others? It was true, she was somewhat alone in Suna as the religious fanaticism seemed to halt certain facets of talk. Sure not all people practiced, but the majority did making it much more difficult to be open about her passions.

"Well, I have a friend who said something fairly wise once. He's younger than me so not as wise as me, but he made a good point." Fanho cleared his throat before making an 'ehhhh~' face. "Okay lets just say he has a point once in a blue moon. He's not as wise as me or good looking, but he once said the light always casts a shadow."

Fanho channeled chakra before a miniature ball of gray light arose from his palm, not too bright, but enough it was brighter than your average lantern to cast shadows in the day light. He popped the ball up as he controlled it making it revolve around the two letting it cast shadows between the two, around the two, and on each other to represent his point.

"Yuumagure may preach about the light, and that dark are unholy and evil. However what about those who are in the dark that must be brought to light, or those who are in the dark but brim with their own light?"

Fanho tapped on his chin before he raised a finger with an idea on the brain. He hadn't known a whole lot of Yuumagure, but maybe some of the teachings were a little off. After all it had been decades since its founding, and sometimes teachings can get off course a bit.

"I think there may be a modern misunderstanding of Yuumagure, and maybe you agree with my interpretation. Do you think maybe the light and dark aren't meant so much as physical, but the metaphysical. Deep down inside you have dark and light inside of you. Where as you may enjoy the dark, that doesn't make you anti-light though. Its more important what's inside of you, what burns deep down."

Fanho called the ball of light to his hand as he focused more chakra into it making it dance in the form of flames. Albeit not Katon, but close enough it danced like little flames and even gave off tinges of embers that danced in the sky whisking away. "We have our own somewhat similar version, although its much more of a personal belief that unites us in Konoha. I'm sure you've heard of it. The Will of Fire?"

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:41 pm

Emi tilted her head the man made the orb of light in his hand, popping it up so that it might orbit the both of them while he made his claims about what he thought of the tenets of Yuumagure. She couldn't help but follow the light on it's first orbit, going so far as to turn around completely until she couldn't turn any further, then quickly turning back the other way to follow the light - so quickly that it got her slightly dizzy. She let out a small groan as she got her bearing again, watching the orb continue to orbit around Fanho's back and cast his shadow onto her. It seemed as if Fanho was encouraging her in a way, pointing out that perhaps her thoughts and beliefs weren't really all that bad. Even going so far as to say that Yuumagure's beliefs were outdated...

"You realize what you're telling me could be seen as heresy by the more fanatical followers of Her Light, right?" Her tone was serious, her gaze confused but harsh. All her life she had been raised that darkness was bad, and light was good, in the most literal sense. She shook her head and closed her eyes as her mind raced through the teachings, her flawless memory pulling directly from scriptures. "The teachings are physical. Scorpions, spiders, coyotes and other nocturnal creatures are seen as bad omens. Caves, forests with thick canopies and other such areas not touched by the light of the sun are seen as unholy lands. The light of the sun purifies all it touches, and those that reside in the darkness are evil. These are the facts as Yuumagure interprets them... And yet."

Her eyes opened, small tears having formed in the corners of her eyes as her mind continued to flow through memories and information she had learned in her short life. She wasn't drawing on scripture now though - this was personal. "My father still plays host to the spirit of a Coyote, who's sole purpose was to protect my mother's Light. We are shinobi - By our nature, we exist in the shadows. Does that mean that as shinobi, we are doomed to unholiness? That we aren't worthy of Her Light's blessing, despite our actions in the shadows being the very thing that allows the light to thrive? And are those of us who prefer the night and the serene calm that comes with it... damned?"

She wished she had answers for these questions - She didn't. She knew what she wanted to believe, but that didn't change what the Scriptures said. Her eyes closed as she sniffled lightly, crossing her arms as the words "Will of Fire" were mentioned. "The phrase has crossed my ears, but I couldn't tell you what it means."
Active Characters

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:58 pm

Fanho nodded as Emi responded. Affirming the beliefs of Yuumagure included those of the physical realm of darkness. However it didn't make sense to be so afraid of the dark. Not when there was such beauty in it. Such serenity. Even Emi herself acknowledged it was different and not as bad as she thought. She realized it wasn't all that had seemed. "Maybe so, feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt. I don't know that much about it."

Fanho nodded as Emi continued about Arata having the spirit of a Coyote. A typical dark lived creature that would be seen as unholy, impure, and evil. Her thoughts turned to being a shinobi, stained with the blood of violence and doomed to unholiness. Not worthy in their religion due to their profession, their actions not condoned despite protecting what is good and holy. Then her thoughts drifted to eternal damnation because of the belief the night time was serene, and had creatures just as lovely and peaceful. Perhaps the topic was a bit too advanced for Emi, it seemed he had hit a sore spot of her struggling beliefs. The alternating between what she thought she knew, and her evident lived experience proving the contrary.

As their topic turned to something Fanho was much more familiar with, he regained confidence that maybe what he said had more kernel to the truth than would be believed. Maybe he understood Yuumagure a bit more than he thought.

"I don't think it's all that different to Yuumagure, but its a main belief that deep down you carry the torch of all of Konoha's predecessors. We're an ever burning fire dedicated to protecting the village, defending loved ones, and rectifying wrongs. Its passed down from generation to generation, a belief that we're united as a village. In one way you could say what light is to Yuumagure, that is what the Will of Fire is to us. Its the thread that binds us together."

Fanho kept the fire lit in his hand, emblematic of the topic the two were speaking on. He waved one hand around the made-up fire as his other hand held it steady keeping it controlled. "You see, a lot like light the Will of Fire is the union of all of Konoha, protecting the good, exorcising the bad, and above all else maintaining hope when all is seemed lost. However this is where it diverges from Yuumagure's traditional teachings."

Fanho held a finger up as to beckon Emi for one second to watch. Fanho slowly tamed the fire as it appeared raging, but controlled before touching it to his chest letting the chakra return to his body and fire him up. He transitioned the chakra into a glow around his body to give a more visual aid to the young Emi. Something to help understand the point he was making. The Bannin held his fingers up as he snapped reducing the light around the two to a more dusk night time, however despite the darkness now shrouding out the midday sun plunging the two into darkness. Fanho still glowed in the dark.

"Fear not, its a fake night. Its all for the sake of an example. Despite us being in the dark, the Will of Fire keeps us company. It burns within, lights up our soul and keeps us going. It's not just that we act in the light with rays of sunshine and hope. But its that even in the darkest times, the most uncertain weather, and the times our values are shaken to its core on the verge of losing ourselves that this hope, this fire" Fanho gestured to the glow around his body. "This is what keeps us going. We are the light in darkness, and as long as we are to never lose this flame that burns within us. We shall never fear the dark because we are the light within it."

As Fanho finished his emblematic point he snapped his fingers once more, returning the daylight to the two, and shedding his glow. He patted his lap as he gave a big sigh. "Man what a mouthful, but you know solid sage advice. You see my point though? Even though Yuumagure teachings say the darkness is bad, unholy, and damnation. It matters not if you enjoy the dark, if you're traveling through it, confronting it. It is what is inside that matters. As long as the light is shining from within, then you are at peace, pure, and worthy of Her Light. Also whose to say you have to be a Konoha shinobi to have the Will of Fire burn within you?" Fanho gave a reassuring smile as he pointed at Emi with a wink.

Even though they had drifted from the challenge some what, he hoped to encourage Emi to find peace with her experiences and beliefs. Perhaps elevate them to a higher plain for others to understand, to educate them that it is more than black and white.
phpBB [video]

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:26 pm

The young Henrin watched as the light bearing shinobi continued with his display, both the physical and the verbal, in his attempt to get through to her. The theatrics were awe inspiring to say the least - to have such control over light and dark... Is this what her mother was capable of? She rarely saw Kiyori tap into the Light, or shinobi arts at all for that matter. Her mother was a pacifist, and not the boastful type either, so spars and training were mostly a solo endeavor for her. The man's advice resonated with her deeply, the Will of Fire...

"We are the light... in darkness..." she spoke aloud to herself, repeating Fanho's words almost like a mantra. "Yeah... it makes sense. Our actions as shinobi require us to tread through the dark, and yet by doing so, we bring our light and cut our way through. The light within is what pushes us through to the other side, blazing a trail for others to follow. I... never looked at it like that." the girl paused, looking at the dark that surrounded them with a small, comforted smile. As it faded and the man doubled down on his teachings, Emi nodded, wiping away the last of her tears and giggling slightly.

"You seem a bit young to be giving out 'Sagely Advice' you know, hehe." she teased the man a little, trying to lift her own spirits and break away from the harsh, serious conversation for a moment. But she quickly returned to it, reaching to her side to take the bladeless hilt in her hand and gaze at it. "I'm a shinobi who protects the light of my village by cutting through the dark. No, I don't just cut through it... By the Light, I harness the Dark." The words felt like a weight being lifted off of her shoulders, a sigh escaping her lungs as she looked up at Fanho, a determined look on her face as she squeezed her hand tight around the hilt.

"I am Emi Henrin."
Active Characters

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:35 pm

Fanho nodded as Emi seemed to confront the main crux of the challenge. Although he hadn't been given any specifics, he was just set out with the task to determine if Emi was of sounded mind to be gifted the blade. He figured now that she seemed to find herself, and start on a path of identifying her beliefs, goals, and dreams he'd work on a different subject that concerned him. The relationship of Emi with her mother.

"Hey I'm only twenty-six okay. That's like somewhere between old wrinkly sage, and too young to know better. I'm like a cool hip young sage." Fanho furrowed his eyebrows at being called young. Despite being twenty-six he still looked like he was younger. If it wasn't for his part celebrity status of being a Bannin he'd probably get tossed out of restaurants and bars.

The Awai continued his lecture leading into a more sensitive topic. "Indeed you are Emi Henrin. However you are also part Arata Fujitsuna, and even much to your dismay you are part Kiyori Henrin. However these two gave way to have you. As I said earlier, out of all the chances in the world, one in a million you were born from that chance. Your mother wouldn't have had it any other way." Fanho gave a sigh as he somberly looked out to the sky. The irony of a family of birds passing through with multiple fledgling's and only one parent. It was sad, but only encouraged him to continue his point.

"However you are more than just those parts, however they do contribute to make you. You carry the hopefulness of Kiyori, the stoicism of Arata, and your own desires. I understand if you can't forgive your mom, its hard to grow up alone without attentive parents. No one to lead or teach you, but I believe deep down inside she's with you every step of the way." Fanho waved his hand through the air as light particles shined off creating mini-stars around them in the daylight. Each one he intended to represent a fallen friend, family, and loved one that watched them.

TyDie

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by TyDie » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:27 pm

Emi rolled her eyes and chuckled lightly at the older shinobi's comments on his age... she wouldn't fight him on it though. The fact was, he did have a lot of good insight and advice to give to the girl, whether she liked it or not. However, she was quick to glare at the man as he turned deeper into a topic that she wasn't comfortable speaking on. "You don't know anything about her. Don't pretend you do." Emi hissed at the man, standing up suddenly and turning her back to him as she tightened her grip around the hilt in her hand.

"All you and anyone else knows is the public face of the 12th Kazekage. You know the diplomat, the shinobi you trained to use light. You have no idea what she was like as a parent..." She paused for a moment, spitting on the ground, as if to get the taste of this horrible conversation out of her mouth. "You're right. I can't forgive her. And if she's by my side, I wish she'd just walk away. It's all she was ever good at anyway." Slipping the hilt into her ninja pouch with a huff, Emi didn't bother turning back to Fanho as she spoke up again.

"I have to go. I don't want to have this conversation." Emi wouldn't wait for a response from the Awai, and even began to run from the location, the twinkle of tears trailing behind her in the sunlight as she left Fanho at the training ground.
Active Characters

Director
Hokage
Hokage

The Light of Yuumagure

Post by Director » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:13 pm

Fanho sighed as Emi walked away. They had made progress, but there was still much work to be done. At the least, she had come to the realization she was more than just her mother's image, and she was her own person with agency. However, there was still much to be done. He watched as Emi choked back tears during her outpouring of frustration. Fanho nodded as he listened before Emi ran off. She had taken the hilt, but the task was still not done. He'd give her time to rest and process all that had happened.

It was quite a lot to take in developing your personality, character, and motivations in just a few hours of conversation. She had found her stride, yet it would still be clouded by the anger and hurt she felt towards her mother. Fanho would work on that with her, but perhaps he had pushed too hard. He may never get her to love her mother, but he could get her to tolerate and understand her mother. Maybe she could accept that she was the Kazekage's daughter was the least he hoped for. It was her name, her family history, and it would be with her no matter what. The most important thing was that she remembered it was not the only thing that defined her.

"Yeah I'll just give you some time to process all of that."

Return to “Konohagakure no Sato”