Username: Checkmate
Virtual Points: 94
HATSUMI YIN
The Art Student

["I'll tell you up front: if it's not fun, it's a waste of my time."]

General Information

Relationship Status: It's complicated.
Physical Presentation:Show
"I have to stay fit. If I don't feel good, I can't consistently create good work. You've got to take care of your body."
  • Face/head: Her face is petit, framed by short cut hair with bangs that hang over the right side of her face if not tucked behind her ear. She is never seen without makeup, and favors various shades of bright neon green eye shadow, with a much less glaring compliment of lipstick, pink or red, just to make her lips pop a little. At the center of it all are the two deep brown orbs, luring the unsuspecting into the brooding chasms that are her eyes.
  • Body: Yin’s body has nearly reached full maturity, and she loves it. She prides herself on staying toned and in great shape. She is pretty short, though, standing just over five feet tall, and weighing somewhere on the lower side of healthy average. It’s not that she slaves over her body, though, she was just blessed with great genes.
  • Clothing/Accessories: Daily wardrobe choices have become like an artistic warmup for Yin. Depending on what she’s up to that day, she’ll usually wear some variant of black jeans and a long sleeve shirt covered by her hooded jacket, black outside and pink inside, which zips up the front and has an extra large hood with orange goggles built in. She is also rarely seen without a matching orange air filter around her neck, just in case the urge strikes. Her boots are black with pink laces and soles, and around her waist is between two and three belts carrying various art supplies that she might need when she’s out and about. Topping it all off is a satchel, within which she carries any variety of things she's working on, or additional supplies. One thing you’re not likely to find is a blank surface on which to paint. In her eyes, the city is her canvas.
Emotional Expression:Show
"I'm not complicated. I just want to have fun. If you can't figure out what that means for me, that's your problem not mine."
  • General: Yin is not one to plan. She plays life in the heat of the moment, making decisions on the fly and doing whatever suits her in the moment - not necessarily great traits for a ninja to have. But she seems to do all right for herself, all things considered. She spends much of her time working in a tattoo parlor, but she hopes to one day open her own shop and brand.
  • Hopes/Dreams: To own her own tattoo shop and art studio, and to be the village's leading professional in Applied Fuuinjutsu.
  • Fears: Falling prey to the oh-so-prevalent mind-enslaving monotony of normalcy.
  • Combat Mentality: Yin is not afraid to get dirty, per se, but does not seek the fray of battle without good cause. Her specialty lies more in removal of obstacles and assisting allies through booby-trapped spaces. Seemingly in direct opposition to her natural disposition, Yin can be very tactical in moments where her natural gifts are pushed to a limit. She is capable of an unbreakable focus that allows her to determine what course of action is best given the available information. When in battle, she will naturally observe every pertinent detail and apply the proper course of action, be it to attack, defend, flee, or talk her way out of something.

Battle Information Village: Kirigakure no Sato

Stats: (10/50)
  • Ninjutsu: 20
  • Taijutsu: 3
  • Genjutsu: 3
  • Stamina: 3
  • Control: 5
  • Strength: 3
  • Speed: 3
  • Instinct: 19
Equipment:
  • Tattoo Needle and a 6 oz cartridge of ink in her satchel
  • Filtration mask around her neck that filters smoke and paint fumes
  • 6 blank 8"x11" stencils
  • A skate board, carried
  • 5 small cans of spray paint (Blue, Red, Green, White, Black), on her belt
  • 1 small can of tracker paint, on her belt
  • 1 small can of florescent paint, on her belt
  • 10 Exploding Tags, split between her back pockets
  • 5 paint grenades in her belt (Blue, Red, Green, White, Black) - launch a paint cloud into a 15m radius. The cloud smells heavily like paint, making it hard to both see and smell. If the paint gets in the eyes it can sting, and if too much is breathed in, it can give any range of minor effects like headaches, disorientation, etc.
  • A thick notebook and pen in her satchel
Affinity: Suiton
Abilities and Concentrations
Abilities
N/A
Concentrations & Specialties
"I'm kinda just a genius when it comes to Ninjutsu. That doesn't mean I can use it especially well, but I do understand it."
Ninjutsu[Ink, Storage & Force Fuuinjutsu, Augment Fuuinjutsu]
Taijutsu[N/A]
Genjutsu[N/A]
Specialty: Ninjutsu[Ninjutsu, Speed, Control, Instinct]

Jutsu[/b]
"I wouldn't say ninjutsu is my passion. Art is my passion. Ninjutsu just comes so easily that it only makes sense to combine the two."
FuuinjutsuShow

Fuuinjutsu
*Fuuinjutsu • Explosive Tag
D-Rank Force Fuuinjutsu
After drawing an 2x5 inch seal formula on a surface the user forms the needed hand seals then touches the seal, arming it with their chakra. Upon being kai'd, the tag releases it's stored energy as a D-Rank Explosion of concussive force outward from itself.

*Fuuinjutsu • Minor Weapon Defense
D-Rank Storage & Force Fuuinjutsu
By having an empty scroll with a seal formula placed on it, the user is able to use the seal as a defensive measure. Holding a single, one-handed hand seal, the user attempts to block the incoming small sized weapon (kunai or smaller) with the scroll. Right before contact is actually made, the weapon will be sealed into the seal. This seal cannot be used multiple times, and if the incoming projectile has more than 5 strength, it will overpower it, making the technique useless.

*Fuuinjutsu • Endure
C-Rank Augment Fuuinjutsu
By doing the needed hand seals, the ninja inscribes the fuuinjutsu onto a surface (non-organic). This seal releases chakra into the structure, strengthening it to a durability of 10. If the object is stronger than 10, there is no effect. This effect persists as long as the seal does, or the item is intact.
Ink StyleShow

Ink Style
Ink Style is a ninjutsu form using an artistic medium rather than an element. Ink creations are able to travel well outside the conventional distance limits set on most elements. They are able to travel [1/2 Kilometer * Control], making this an excellent style for scouting and fighting from a safe distance. Each of the creation jutsu are weak to Suiton by default, unless specifically made with a substance that repels water, in which case the alternate weakness will be noted with the medium. Additionally, Ink Style is notoriously long lasting when prepared correctly, with the specific limitations depending more on environmental factors than on a set time limit. Ink Style Jutsu can be used with a variety of mediums, unless otherwise stated within the jutsu.

Surveillance
D-Rank Ninjutsu
The user will create an eye on a surface using any medium. The eye can then be later animated from up to a half a mile away with a set of hand seals. Once animated, it hovers at the height it was originally drawn, unable to move vertically, only horizontally. It has the following stats: [Taijutsu - 2 | Stamina - 4 | Strength -2 | Speed - 4]

Take a Look
D-Rank Ninjutsu
After forming the needed hand seals and focusing on a single creation with eye(s), the user will close one or both eyes, replacing her vision with that provided by the selected creation(s).

Static Cartography
D-Rank Ninjutsu
After forming the needed hand seals and focusing on one creation at a time, the user will transfer all sensory data from the creations onto a surface with a present medium, creating a two dimensional map of the area. This can include positions of people and objects, but once created, this image is set and can only be updated by repeating the process.

Unappreciated Art
D-Rank Ninjutsu
A passive ability of all creations that allows them to remerge with a surface after being animated. Though the creation is not destroyed, it cannot reanimate on its own, requiring another set of hand seals to reanimate.

Fodder
D-Rank Ninjutsu
The user will create a humanoid figure on a surface using any medium. The figure can then be later animated with a set of hand seals. It has the following stats: [Taijutsu - 1 | Stamina - 6 | Strength -2 | Speed - 3]

Active Cartography
C-Rank Ninjutsu
After forming the needed hand seals and focusing on each creation within a kilometer, the user will transfer all sensory data from the creations onto a surface with a present medium, causing the medium to leave the surface and create a three dimensional map of the area. This can include positions of people and objects, and as long as the user continues to focus on the map, it will continue to provide a live feed of all movement within the area, dependent on the positioning of her creations in the area.

Little Blackbird
C-Rank Ninjutsu
The user will create a bird on a surface using any medium. The bird can then be later animated from up to a half a mile away with a set of hand seals. Once animated, it is able to fly, and has the following stats: [Taijutsu - 1 | Stamina - 6 | Strength - 2 | Speed - 3]

Paint Cloud
C-Rank Ninjutsu
Similar to a smoke bomb, the user is able to multiply airborne paint at a speed of 10 into a cloud the same size as a normal smoke bomb (15mx15m) after a set of hand seals. The cloud smells heavily like paint, making it hard to both see and smell. If the paint gets in the eyes it can sting, and if too much is breathed in, it can give any range of minor effects like headaches, disorientation, etc.

History
Historical AccountsShow
"Ok, first, let's get something straight. I didn't get held back. I spread my course work over an extra year and took additional extracurriculars to make sure I got everything I could out of the academy." Yin was born into an academic family. Her parents were both professional instructors in their own fields, meaning that instead of leaving the village on missions, they helped ninjas hone their skills and unlock their potential. Kind of like Academy Instructors, but for Special Jounin and Jounin. They ran their own businesses and each earned enough in the private sector to no longer require village contracts to pay the bills. And because of the increased success ratio seen by all of their alumni, the village was happy to let them continue on.

Needless to say, Yin had some big shoes to fill. Her parents were both so good at what they did that she felt like if she wasn't wildly successful, her parents would be disappointed in her. This, however, lead to performance anxiety and had a negative impact on her grades in school. She never technically failed a class, but after the first semester she decided to drop a few classes in favor of getting better grades.

Don't think for a moment she wasn't smart - she was brilliant, and her teachers knew it. But when it came time to take a test where the stakes were high, she froze, often handing a test in incomplete or even, as the case once was, entirely blank. She was recommended to see a therapist, who then prescribed that the girl needed a hobby - something to help her release all the tension and pressure she put on herself. That was when she began to paint.

When she finally graduated from the academy, a full year later than her classmates, she was not paired with a rival. She was given her headband along with the next year's class, but was not included in the selection of a rival. Instead, she started hanging around the slums, becoming quite a good graffiti artist. During that time she also stumbled into a tattoo parlor, intending only to look around. She ended up coming back with increasing frequency, developing an odd friendship with the owner. Even though she felt that tattoos were not for her, she could see the incredible skill required to produce something truly magnificent. She began bringing in her own designs sketched on napkins and scrap paper, and before long she had a job.

She has been there almost three years now, and currently rooms with another art enthusiast in a refurbished greenhouse/warehouse building that her roommate transformed into an art studio. Between the studio and the shop, most of the hours of Yin's day are accounted for. But that doesn't mean she can't squeak in the odd adventure or two.

Return to “Inactive Archives”