Iaido Rework

ShinobiTruth

Iaido Rework

Post by ShinobiTruth » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Application: Iaido Kenjutsu
Change: I'd like to submit the following revamp/rework to replace the current version of the style:
AppearanceShow
Iaido Kenjutsu
Style Description
The samurai of the Land of Tea have produced a unique style of Kenjutsu called Iaido. Unlike other styles, which rely on the sword being drawn to attack, a practitioner of Iaido is always ready to attack their opponents, even when their weapon is sheathed in its scabbard. Known as a "sword drawing" technique, Iaido uses the smooth, linear motion of pulling the sword from its sheath to create abnormally fast slashes and strikes against often ignorant and unsuspecting opponents. Though the katana is preferred for this style, any curved sword single-edged sword with a complimenting scabbard is compatible with this style. Their ability to fight with both traditional swordplay and hand-to-hand combat while perfectly capable of switching to quick slashes and stabs using Iaido's hallmark techniques makes practitioners of this style unpredictable fighters.

Requires: [Sword Weapons], [Perception] Concentrations.
D-Rank Techniques
*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Ancestral Focus][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
The hallmark of Iaido is its practitioners abilities to launch an attack even when their swords are sheathed. This Discipline represents the practitioner's capacity to consistently execute a sword draw and slash all in one movement by gripping the edge of the scabbard and pulling the scabbard slightly forward before drawing the sword. This Discipline enables the practitioner to immediately draw their sword and attack at the start of combat.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Weapon Mastery][/color][/b]
Since Iaido is a style that prioritizes speed over brute strength, wise usage of the blade is paramount to the practitioner's success in the style. This Discipline represents the practitioner's knowledge of their weapon's strengths and weaknesses in combat, allowing them to use the weapon more efficiently both inside and outside of its use in Iaido techniques and avoid unnecessarily presenting their weapon's blind spots to the opponent.

*[color=#8B658B][b][Iaido • Ambidexterity][/b][/color]
After practicing for a long amount of time with the concept of using both of their hands with equal skill, the user has developed a level of ambidexterity that allows them to utilize both hands equally and as effectively without any penalty. This extends to other methods of combat or simple everyday life as well.

*[b][color=#8B658B]*[Iaido • One with the Sheath][/color][/b]
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]8 Speed, 8 Instinct.[/i]
The practitioner has learned how to more quickly and efficiently sheath his blades. The practitioner can now seamlessly transition from drawing their blade to slash to sheathing their blade, allowing the practitioner to sheath their sword in half the time, up to a maximum speed equal to their Speed score, for the more rapid execution of Iaido techniques.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Last Breath][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
The most iconic (and most basic) strike of Iaido, the practitioner quickly draws and cuts with their blade in a wide arc in one fluid motion. This simultaneous draw and attack straight from the scabbard makes Iaido well-suited for an initial surprise attack and for taking advantage of openings presented by the opponent.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Mantra][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
A simple yet potent defense, especially against other weapons users, the practitioner partially draws the sword from its scabbard and blocks incoming attacks with the back of their blade. This technique is ineffective against opponents with higher Strength than the practitioner's Strength.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Last Rites][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
A defensive technique particularly useful when an opponent is close to the practitioner or is clinching them in a grapple, the practitioner grabs the hilt of their sword with a reverse grip and rams the butt or pommel of the hilt into the opponent's body, pushing the opponent back a number of meters equal to the difference between their Strength scores. Conversely, against opponents with higher Strength than their own, the practitioner can use this technique to push themselves back a number of meters equal to their own Strength score. The speed and simplicity of the attack can push opponents away and give the practitioner the needed space to set up additional attacks.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Clouding Eyes][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]8 Speed,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Prayer Draw].[/i][/color]
A simple technique meant to cripple the target's vision, the practitioner draws the sword from its scabbard and aims a quick slash at the eyes. This technique can be done in any single direction to either target one or both of the opponent's eyes.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Fading Touch][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]8 Speed,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Prayer Draw].[/i][/color]
An extension of the disabling effects of Cutting The Eyes, the practitioner draws the sword from the scabbard and slashes at the opponent's arms or elbows. Landing this technique can sever the muscles and tendons connecting in their arm, rendering the opponent's arm useless. This penalty lasts until the opponent is able to receive medical attention.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Deathly Weight][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
An extension of the disabling effects of Cutting The Eyes, the practitioner draws the sword from its scabbard and slashes at the back of the opponent's leg, severing the muscles and tendons responsible for walking and supporting their weight., rendering the opponent unable to walk on the targeted leg. This penalty lasts until the opponent is able to receive medical attention.
C-Rank Techniques
*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Shinigami Draw][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
Losing the use of one's hand or arm in a fight can be a death sentence, but Iaido has found a simple, elegant response to this desperate situation. Using their free hand, the practitioner momentarily braces the edge of their sword against the inside of the scabbard before drawing. While it does not confer the instant acceleration benefit of its parent technique, this Discipline does allow the practitioner to use Iaido techniques at their normal speed even with only one hand.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • One with the Sword][/color][/b]
C-Rank Discipline
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • One with the Sheath].[/i][/color]
The practitioner has learned how to more quickly and efficiently sheath his blades even without use of both hands. The practitioner can now sheath the blade just as quickly with one hand as could be done with two hands, and so long as the scabbard remains on their person, the practitioner will always have an exact knowledge of the position of their scabbard.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Ancestral Visage][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Instinct.[/i]
Using Iaido to its fullest requires a keen eye and quick reactions, enabling its users to target weaknesses and openings that their opponents present almost instantaneously. This Discipline represents the practitioner's ability to attack openings that present themselves, the practitioner now able to reflexively attack an opening in almost the same moment that it is observed. This Discipline reduces the gap of time between a practitioner recognizing a potential opening for attack and launching the attack to exploit said opening to almost nil.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Shinigami’s Might][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
A technique used to capitalize on the superior speed of Iaido, the practitioner momentarily braces the edge of their sword against the inside of the scabbard, holding the edge of the scabbard firmly with their other hand. The practitioner then drives that force forward, which results in a quick slash of the blade that immediately accelerates to the practitioner's top Speed. Though powerful, this move is not without risk, as sheathing the blade may take longer than normal after using it due to the commitment this technique requires.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Death’s Passage][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
This technique is particularly useful against opponents with a strong defense or some sort of natural armor. The practitioner draws their sword from its scabbard and slashes the opponent, which is followed by an immediate second slash in the exact opposite direction before the blade is immediately sheathed. The practitioner can choose to target the same spot to make a deeper cut or to target a different area instead. They may also choose to attack a second target with this technique instead.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Death’s Gate][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Speed, 15 Instinct.[/i]
Drawing upon the superlative speed of Iaido, the practitioner momentarily torques the muscles in their body to draw their sword from its scabbard and deliver a blindingly fast slash before sheathing their blade. Properly reading this attack requires the opponent to have an average between their Instinct and Speed score, rounded up, higher than the practitioner's Speed. Otherwise, they cannot accurately read the attack and will be unlikely to completely avoid the attack, if at all.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Peace in Death][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Speed, 15 Instinct.[/i]
An abnormally aggressive technique in Iaido, this technique serves as a preemptive counter, attacking the opponent in the split moment between drawing back to prepare an attack and launching said attack. Violently torquing the muscles in their legs, the practitioner more quickly accelerates to their maximum speed (or instantly accelerating to their max speed if their Strength is equal or higher than their Speed) than with normal movement. With this movement, the practitioner bolts toward the opponent and launches an attack, cutting the opponent as they pass to their side. This technique can be used while moving to immediately change direction instead before launching the attack. This technique is ineffective against opponent's with an average of their Taijutsu and Speed stats, rounded up, higher than the practitioner's Speed stat.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Futile Struggle][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Speed, 15 Instinct,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Mantra].[/i][/color]
Making use of the trademark speed of Iaido to intercept enemy attacks, the practitioner draws their blade in a wide arc. This defensive slash allows the practitioner to deflect projectiles and clash with an opponent's weapon. Additionally, so long as the practitioner's Speed is equal to or higher than the opponent's Speed, this technique can be used to intercept and interrupt an opponent's technique or attack by striking the weapon or an area of the opponent's body before the attack reaches maximum strength and staggering them.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Shinigami’s Wrath][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Speed, 15 Instinct,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i]Death's Passage[/i][/color].
A technique further refining the concept of targeting multiple opponents with a single draw, the practitioner uses their sheath hand to reverse grip the hilt. Using the one hand, the practitioner quickly torques their body and cuts with a reverse hand slash a full 360 degrees before immediately sheathing the blade. This technique can strike multiple opponents at once, and the reverse grip of the sword allows the practitioner to more easily defend against counterattacks immediately after.
B-Rank Techniques
*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • One with the Spirit][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • One with the Sheath][/i][/color], *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • One with the Sword].[/i][/color]
Through incredible amounts of practice, the practitioner of Iaido has learned his weapon and its housing inside and out. The user of this weapon can now reflexively sheath their sword in its scabbard almost instantaneously by instinct with either one hand or both hands without even looking. This facilitates further use of other Iaido techniques.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Spectral Flight][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Strength, 25 Speed, 25 Instinct,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Ancestral Visage].[/i][/color]
In order for Iaido to stand toe to toe with a variety of high-level opponents, refining fundamentals to a new height is necessary. This Discipline represents the practitioner's ability to more quickly accelerate to max movement speed and decelerate to a full stop at a moment's notice. This does not offer protection against attacks that the practitioner does not know is coming.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Silent Passing][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Death’s Gates].[/i][/color]
Unlike most of Iaido's techniques, Silent Passing is not particularly useful in the heat of combat. Instead, it is an attack meant to be executed from a standing position, such as while casually walking towards an opponent. Once in close enough proximity to the opponent, the practitioner draws their sword, strikes the opponent's opening, and sheaths their blade with such speed, it appears to the untrained eye that the practitioner continued to simply walk past their target. Properly reading this attack requires the opponent to have an average between their Instinct and Speed score, rounded up, higher than the practitioner's Speed. Otherwise, the opponent will not be capable of fully avoiding this attack if they are in range without some sort of passive defense.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Death Draw][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]20 Strength, 25 Speed, 25 Instinct,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Death’s Gate][/i][/color], *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Spectral Flight].[/i][/color]
Building upon the premise established by the Snap Draw technique, this technique now makes it possible to use the technique against opponents at greater distances. Drawing upon the superlative speed of Iaido, the practitioner momentarily torques the muscles in their body to instantly accelerate to their maximum speed. Dashing a number of meters equal to the practitioner's Strength, they draw their sword from its scabbard and deliver a blindingly fast slash before resheathing their blade. Properly reading this attack requires the opponent to have an average between their Instinct and Speed score, rounded up, higher than the practitioner's Speed. Otherwise, the opponent cannot accurately read the attack and will be unlikely to completely avoid the attack, if at all.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Phantom Funeral][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]35 Speed.[/i]
The superlative speed of Iaido is harnessed to attain seemingly supernatural feats. By momentarily torquing the muscles in their arms, the practitioner manages slashes so fast that they spawn vacuum blades that follow the trajectory of their original attack. This attack spawns a single vacuum blade that travels up to a number of meters equal to half the practitioner's Speed, rounded down, and hits with 1/2 the strength of the original attack, rounded down. If this this technique is used in tangent with a melee attack, the vacuum blade strikes immediately after the original attack is finished, potentially sealing the opponent's guard and creating an opening. This technique can be used in conjunction with other techniques.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Shinigami’s Howl][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]35 Speed,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • One with the Sheath].[/i][/color]
An unorthodox application of Iaido, the practitioner quickly draws their sword and then immediately sheaths the blade with all of their strength, slamming the tsuba against the scabbard. This high speed sheathing technique, known as notojutsu, causes a hypersonic wave to shoot out for a number of meters equal to 1/2 the practitioner's Taijutsu stat, rounded down, in all directions. Opponents within range of this technique must have an average of their Strength and Stamina, rounded up, higher than the opponent's Speed to resist the effects of this technique. Otherwise, any opponent within that range will suffer a -6 penalty to their Instinct for the next two posts, the high frequency sound interfering with their hearing and sense of equilibrium.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Phantom Eulogy][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]35 Speed,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Phantom Funeral].[/i][/color]
Building upon the principle set by Phantom Funeral, this technique serves as a defense for the practitioner. By momentarily torquing the muscles in their arms, the practitioner spawns a vacuum in front of them. The practitioner immediately follows up by pulling the scabbard up to strike through the vacuum, causing the vacuum to collapse violently. The resulting radial shockwave pushes the opponent back with a Strength equal to 1/2 the practitioner's Strength, rounded down, for a number of meters equal to 1/2 the practitioner's Taijutsu, rounded down. This shockwave is ineffective against enemies with a higher Strength than the shockwave. Conversely, the practitioner may choose to ride the shockwave, pushing themselves back and away from the opponent the same distance.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Phantom Procession][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]35 Speed,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Phantom Funeral].[/i][/color]
This technique adapts the Phantom Funeral technique to fight against multiple opponents. Momentarily torquing their body, the practitioner quickly spins in a full circle and slashes in a single movement, the movement happening so quickly that it's difficult to even see the initial slash being performed. Aside from the first slash being deadly in its own right, the speed of the slash creates a spiraling vortex of vacuum blades five meters high that expands outward up to a number of meters equal to half the practitioner's speed, rounded down. The vacuum blades strike with 1/3 the strength and speed of the original attack, rounded down.
A-Rank Techniques
*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Shinigami’s Gaze][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Stance.
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]30 Speed, 30 Instinct,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Ancestral Visage].[/i][/color]
Taking a deep breath and regulating their breathing, the practitioner assumes a crouched stance, leaning forward slightly as their sword hand hovers over the hilt of their blade, the scabbard's edge firmly gripped with their opposing hand. Forcing external distractions out of the mind such as pain, fatigue, and non-critical environmental distractions, the practitioner directs all of their focus onto a single opponent, dropping themselves into a trance called the Theta state. The Theta state allows the practitioner to react almost instinctively to each action of the opponent. These reactions happen so quickly that a proficient user of this stance can commonly interrupt or counter an opponent's actions with a movement or slash before they even finish it. This stance will constantly drain the practitioner while in use, and it is both ineffective and dangerous to use when fighting multiple opponents. If the average of the opponent's Taijutsu and Speed scores, rounded up, is higher than the average of the practitioner's Instinct and Speed score, rounded up, this technique is rendered useless.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Phantom Step Mastery][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Discipline.
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]20 Strength, 30 Speed, 30 Instinct,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Spectral Flight].[/i][/color]
Continuing to push the movements of Iaido past normal human understanding, the practitioner has learned how to quickly decelerate and accelerate their movements so quickly and so fluidly that they are able to create momentary afterimages of themselves with movement. These afterimages fade quickly, but properly reading the attack used in conjunction with the afterimage requires the opponent to have an average between their Instinct and Speed score, rounded up, higher than the practitioner's Speed. This can be used in a variety of ways to enhance their attacks. Only one afterimage can be created per post using this Discipline.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Sword Spirit Draw][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Overwhelming the opponent with a literal shower of high-speed slashes, the practitioner torques the muscles in their arm to draw their sword and continue to assault the opponent's defenses with a seemingly unending wave of slashes. By torquing the muscles in the arm and twisting the wrist when changing the direction of the slash, each strike of the sword is as fast as if it had been drawn from its scabbard. This technique can be used while moving, and the practitioner can feint strikes within the flurry to throw the opponent off-guard. This technique can be used for up to three posts.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Eternal Haunting][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver.
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Footwork Mastery], *[color=#8B658B][i][nocode][color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Ancestral Visage].[/i][/color]
Pushing past the limits of normal human movement, the practitioner moves at the exact same speed, in the exact same direction, at the exact same time, and for the exact same distance as their opponent. This assures that the opponent will always remain in the practitioner's effective attack range. In order for this technique to operate at its peak efficiency, the practitioner must have a Speed and Strength score equal to or higher than the opponent’s Speed and Strength Scores. While this technique can be used regardless of stat differences, opponents with a higher speed can outpace the practitioner and pull away from them, and opponents with higher strength can accelerate more quickly than the practitioner, giving the opponent time to take countermeasures against the practitioner’s attacks. This technique can be used for a number of posts equal to 1/3 of the practitioner's Speed score, rounded down.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Afterlife Draw][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Phantom Step Mastery].[/i][/color]
By momentarily torquing the muscles in their body, the practitioner launches a series of six blindingly fast slashes, targeting vital areas such as the gut, pelvis, neck and throat, large arteries and veins in limbs, etc., upon which a solid blow would prove fatal. The movement of this technique is so fast that it creates an afterimage of the practitioner as they begin to move, and the afterimage fades after the practitioner has finished executing the move. Properly reading this attack requires the opponent to have an average between their Instinct and Speed score, rounded up, higher than the practitioner's Speed. Otherwise, the opponent will not be able to anticipate this technique and fully avoid even one strike, let alone all six.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Warrior’s Passing][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]35 speed,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Phantom Procession].[/i][/color]
Taking the concept of the Phantom Procession a step further, momentarily torquing their body, the practitioner quickly spins in a full circle and slashes in a single movement, the movement happening so quickly that it's difficult to even see the initial slash being performed. The speed of the slash creates a spiraling dome of vacuum blades fifteen meters high that expands outward up to a number of meters equal to half the practitioner's speed, rounded down. The vacuum blades strike with 3/4 the same strength and speed of the original attack.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Samurai’s Procession][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]35 Speed, 30 Instinct,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Phantom Funeral][/i][/color], *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Phantom Eulogy].[/i][/color]
Building upon the principles established by Phantom Funeral, the practitioner torques the muscles in their arms to produce slashes so fast that they create vacuum blades which travel in the direction of the original slash. These vacuum blades have 3/4th the Speed and Strength of the original slashes, rounded down, and they travel a number of meters equal to 3/4 the practitioner's Taijutsu, rounded down. This technique can be used while moving. The practitioner may adjust the cost of this technique by choosing how many or how few vacuum blades to create.
Ougi
*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido Ougi • Reincarnation Draw][/color][/b]
S-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]39 Speed, 39 Instinct, Must be trained at the Tea Country Dojo or learned from someone who has trained it,[/i] [i]10[/i] [b][i][color=#8B658B]Iaido Kenjutsu[/color][/i][/b] [i]techniques.[/i]
The ultimate Iaido technique requires speed that outright shatters human limitations and transcends to near god-hood. By momentarily torquing every single muscle in their body for a split second, the practitioner builds up an immense amount of force. They then release this force, dashing instantly to the opponent's location (up to a number of meters away equal to 4/5 the practitioner's Speed score, rounded down) and delivering a slash so fast that properly reading this attack requires the opponent to have an average between their Instinct and Speed score, rounded up, higher than the practitioner's Speed. Otherwise, the opponent will be completely unable to register the attack even happening or making contact. The dash itself is made with such explosive speed that it creates a massive 360 degree shockwave that follows the user to the end of their dash, pushing away anything from the practitioner within a number of meters equal to 4/5 the practitioner's Speed, rounded down, with a strength equal to 4/5 the practitioner's Strength score, rounded down, serving as a protection against reprisal should they somehow not connect with the attack. This technique cannot subvert obstacles or terrain and requires a relatively clear path to execute. The quasi-teleportation effect of this technique constitutes the use of one of the character's two teleportation uses per thread.
Payment: I THOUGHT there was payment for this, but if not, then it's from the goodness of my heart. I tried to put the nocode for this in the same post, but I'm having problems with getting it to work.
Last edited by ShinobiTruth on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 39 times in total.

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Iaido Rework

Post by Niro » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:18 pm

You have 2 C-ranks named Double Cross Draw

*[Iaido • Snap Draw] <- "Opponent with an Instinct lower than the practitioner's Speed cannot accurately read the attack and will be unlikely to completely avoid the attack, if at all." should be Opponent's [Instinct+Speed]/2 vs practioner's Speed. When forcing someone into a stat battle, we try to have it so that the one forcing the battle relies on 1 stat and the opponent relies on an average of 2 to give the opponent a balanced chance to win.

*[Iaido • Footwork Mastery] <-Should have some sort of Strength prereq for accelerating faster than usual. Keep in mind instant acceleration requires Str ≥ Spd

*[Iaido • Slipstream Draw] <- "Opponent with an Instinct lower than the practitioner's Speed cannot accurately read the attack and will be unlikely to completely avoid the attack, if at all." should be Opponent's [Instinct+Speed]/2 vs practioner's Speed

*[Iaido • Silent Draw] <- "Opponents with an Instinct lower than the practitioner's speed will not be capable of fully avoiding this attack if they are in range without some sort of passive defense." should be Opponent's [Instinct+Speed]/2 vs practioner's Speed

*[Iaido • Phantom Draw] <-Pseudo Heavenly require 35 Spd or Str

*[Iaido • Backlash Phantom Draw] <-Pseudo Heavenly require 35 Spd or Str

*[Iaido • Radial Phantom Draw] <-Pseudo Heavenly require 35 Spd or Str

*[Iaido • Unrelenting Gaze] <- "If the opponent's Instinct score is higher than the practitioner's Instinct score, this technique is rendered useless." should be opponent's [Instinct+Taijutsu]/2 vs practitioner's Instinct

*[Iaido • Phantom Step Mastery] <- "These afterimages fade quickly, but opponents with an Instinct score lower than the practitioner's Speed score will not be able to fully discern the attack used in conjunction with the afterimage" should be opponent's [Speed+Instinct]/2 vs practitioner's Speed

*[Iaido • Rising Phantom Draw] <-Pseudo Heavenly require 35 Spd or Str

*[Iaido • Phantom Blade Storm Draw] <-Pseudo Heavenly require 35 Spd or Str. PHT cost is based on physical stamina not chakra reserves. Remove 'chakra' from in front of cost.

*[Iaido • Unrelenting Pursuit] <- This'd require equal to or greater Speed and Strength stats as the opponent.

*[Iaido • Afterlife Draw] <-[Int+Spd]/2 vs Spd

*[Iaido Ougi • Reincarnation Draw] <-[Int+Spd]/2 vs Spd
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam
Tatsuo [color=#940839][b]IwaTsuchikageTeam 18 Jousai
Kinomichi [color=limegreen][b]IwaBanninJousai
Kotetsu [color=slategray][b]IwaGeninTeam 7
Ashura [color=coral][b]SunaGenin
Sai [color=#FF14A1][b]Kiri - MND-Rank
Yamato [color=#C71585][b]KiriA-Rank

ShinobiTruth

Iaido Rework

Post by ShinobiTruth » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:56 pm

Edited all except for Unrelenting Pursuit, as I need some elaboration on the reasoning behind requiring both Speed and Strength requirements. Wouldn't speed and instinct be more appropriate since you're reading their movements and mimicking them?

Servant

Iaido Rework

Post by Servant » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:17 pm

If I had to guess, its the same reason Footwork Mastery needed strength: acceleration. Without the same (or higher) strength as the opponent, they'd be able to accelerate more quickly than the practitioner, creating distance.
My Thread
Inken Nikuya
[color=#ffe135]
  • Seiryu - [color=#007FFF]
  • Suzaku - [color=#e62a09]
  • Genbu - [color=#80461B]
  • Byakko - [color=#007FFF]
Sadame Juusha
[color=#2888BD]
Imuka Makumi
[color=#Fc0fc0]
Yamanaka Yaya
[color=#3a6e38]
-

ShinobiTruth

Iaido Rework

Post by ShinobiTruth » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:40 am

Servant:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:17 pm
If I had to guess, its the same reason Footwork Mastery needed strength: acceleration. Without the same (or higher) strength as the opponent, they'd be able to accelerate more quickly than the practitioner, creating distance.
Hey, wanted to get a mod pass here to verify this reasoning. If this is the case, then I can edit, but I would like a second opinion on it.

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Iaido Rework

Post by Niro » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Serv is on the money; acceleration is the answer.
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Iaido Rework

Post by Niro » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:23 pm

1/2
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam

Director
Hokage
Hokage
User flair: If you read this, you're gay.

Iaido Rework

Post by Director » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:38 pm

*[Iaido • Unrelenting Gaze] <- "If the opponent's Instinct score is higher than the practitioner's Instinct score, this technique is rendered useless." should be opponent's [Instinct+Taijutsu]/2 vs practitioner's Instinct

Why would this be Instinct+Taijutsu? If anything it should be opponent's (Tai+Speed)/2 vs user's (Inst+Speed)/2. It should involve speed more than anything considering its whole point is overcoming the opponent's speed with lightning reflexes. Opponents finesse and speed versus the users wits and speed would make the most sense.
Character: Awai, Fanho | Rank: Hokage | Village: Konoha | Color Code: [b][color=#682860]
Character: Konshi, Yuichi | Rank: Jounin | Village: Kumogakure | Color Code: [b][color=#0051BA]

ShinobiTruth

Iaido Rework

Post by ShinobiTruth » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:35 pm

Director:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Why would this be Instinct+Taijutsu? If anything it should be opponent's (Tai+Speed)/2 vs user's (Inst+Speed)/2. It should involve speed more than anything considering its whole point is overcoming the opponent's speed with lightning reflexes. Opponents finesse and speed versus the users wits and speed would make the most sense.
I'm not certain how you got that first phrasing there, since I long since edited that a while ago.

Also, to answer your second question, I think Niro mentioned it in an earlier post. Since I'm forcing a stat contest it's user's single stat vs. the opponent's stat average of two stats. It gives the defender a better chance of winning the stat check. Also, it's less about just simply overcoming the opponent's speed and more about attacking so quickly that the opponent can't fully register that it's happening... which might honestly be the same thing, but I digress. With that said, I'd like a second opinion on that. I thought a 2v2 stat check was against normal standards.

Director
Hokage
Hokage

Iaido Rework

Post by Director » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:34 am

Except that jutsu isn't for attacking faster than the opponent, its about reacting quicker than your opponent. Which you need speed for, and if its recognizing an attack pattern you need instinct for that. Also average vs average is not unusual. First phrasing was in reference to Niro. Also "it's less about just simply overcoming the opponent's speed and more about attacking so quickly that the opponent can't fully register that it's happening" that involves speed. Instinct will not subside speed entirely, someone with 50 speed would still beat your 50 instinct as long as their speed is more than yours. But I digress you made this jutsu to react to attacks using instinct and speed, so it only makes sense to use users (Instinct+Speed)/2 versus opponents (Taijutsu+Speed)/2 as thats what your jutsu is worded as. If this isn't your intent I advise you to change the wording if its an attack jutsu and not a react.

"These reactions happen so quickly that a proficient user of this stance can commonly interrupt or counter an opponent's actions with a slash before they even finish it." This isn't an attack jutsu its a reaction jutsu.
Character: Awai, Fanho | Rank: Hokage | Village: Konoha | Color Code: [b][color=#682860]
Character: Konshi, Yuichi | Rank: Jounin | Village: Kumogakure | Color Code: [b][color=#0051BA]

ShinobiTruth

Iaido Rework

Post by ShinobiTruth » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Director:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:34 am
It only makes sense to use users (Instinct+Speed)/2 versus opponents (Taijutsu+Speed)/2 as thats what your jutsu is worded as. If this isn't your intent I advise you to change the wording if its an attack jutsu and not a react.
Okay, so this I don't really get. It is indeed a reactionary technique, but it would be more understandable if this is an Instinct + Speed battle on both sides, since presumably Instinct is the ability to quick process information being received in combat, including being able to properly register incoming attacks and react to them. I fail to understand how Taijutsu is going to help the opponent defend or evade if they can't even register the reactionary attack being launched until it's already in their face.

Director
Hokage
Hokage

Iaido Rework

Post by Director » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Taijutsu is the direct stat of a persons finesse and facilitation of body work. Speed is self explanatory. Instinct you understand as the combat ability to perceive and acknowledge. The reason the opponent doesn't need this is because they're not reading the user or facing a perception type check. The user is the one doing the perception check and then reacting, this equals (Instinct+Speed)/2. Which if the user is reacting to their opponents its presunable they need to beat a combination of the opponents finesse in their movements and speed which equals (Taijutsu+Speed)/2. Why would they need instinct when the check to perceive an opponents attack and react is on the user? The opponent doesn't have to perceive anything they could just be outright faster and this jutsu wouldn't mean anything which is the check you're making is if you're fast enough to read and attack, faster than your opponent can control themselves and their speed.

Your entire jutsu is you reacting to the opponent, not the other way around. If thats your intent, change the wording. You even admit is reacting to the opponent therefore they must beat the opponents speed and finesse with their wits and speed.

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Iaido Rework

Post by Niro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:39 pm

1/2
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam

WrightJustice

Iaido Rework

Post by WrightJustice » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:53 pm

*[Iaido • Focus] <-- This is still worded very much as a stance.

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Iaido Rework

Post by Niro » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:23 pm

1/2
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam

Director
Hokage
Hokage

Iaido Rework

Post by Director » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:34 pm

Quote:
*[Iaido • Fading Touch]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite(s): 8 Speed, *[Iaido • Prayer Draw].
An extension of the disabling effects of Cutting The Eyes, the practitioner draws the sword from the scabbard and slashes at the opponent's elbow. Landing this technique can sever the tendons connecting the forearm to the upper arm, rendering the opponent's arm useless.

*[Iaido • Deathly Weight]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite(s): 8 Speed, *[Iaido • Prayer Draw].
An extension of the disabling effects of Cutting The Eyes, the practitioner draws the sword from its scabbard and slashes at the opponent's Achilles' tendon, severing the tendon connecting the heel to the calf muscles, rendering the opponent unable to walk on the targeted foot. The practitioner can choose to target the tendons behind the kneecap instead to render the entire leg useless as well.
Cutting with medical precision aiming for specific tendons falls into the realm of needing the medicine conc. I suggest just making the medicine conc a prereq for these jutsu specifically to avoid adding it to the style.
Quote:
*[Iaido • Prayer Draw]
Prerequisite(s): 8 Taijutsu, 8 Speed.
Iaido's traditional stance often makes its applications limited to horizontal strikes of some nature. This Discipline represents the practitioner's knowledge and ability to execute Iaido slashes in any single direction (horizontally, vertically, diagonally, aerial, etc.) regardless of their position, so long as they have enough room to fully draw and swing their blade.
I think this is a given by having the style. Jutsu seems unnecessary.
Quote:
*[Iaido • Death’s Passage]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
This technique is particularly useful against opponents with a strong defense or some sort of natural armor. The practitioner draws their sword from its scabbard and slashes the opponent, which is followed by an immediate second slash in the exact opposite direction before the blade is immediately sheathed. This creates a very fast attack that cuts very deeply due to both attacks targeting the exact same area.

*[Iaido • Peace in Death]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite(s): *[Iaido • Double Back Draw].
A technique building off of the concept of launching two attacks from a single draw, this technique begins much like its parent technique, with a single initial strike. However, instead of halting one's momentum, the practitioner quickly rotates with the momentum of the first attack, spinning and bringing their blade around for a second slash in a different direction before the blade is immediately sheathed. The practitioner can also choose to attack a second target with this technique instead.
These jutsu are the same, and the prereq for the second one doesn't even exist.
Quote:
*[Iaido • Shinigami’s Howl]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite(s): *[Iaido • One with the Sheath].
An unorthodox application of Iaido, the practitioner quickly draws their sword and then immediately sheaths the blade with all of their strength, slamming the tsuba against the scabbard. This high speed sheathing technique, known as notojutsu, causes a hypersonic wave to shoot out for ten meters in all directions. Any opponent within that range will suffer a -6 penalty to their Instinct for the next two posts, the high frequency sound interfering with their hearing and sense of equilibrium.
Make this pseudo heavenly tech be a fraction pending the user's strength, and the range based off their taijutsu stat also in a fraction.
Quote:
*[Iaido • Phantom Funeral]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite(s): 35 Speed.
The superlative speed of Iaido is harnessed to attain seemingly supernatural feats. By momentarily torquing the muscles in their arms, the practitioner manages slashes so fast that they spawn vacuum blades that follow the trajectory of their original attack. This attack spawns a single vacuum blade that travels up to a number of meters equal to the user's speed and hits with 1/2 the strength of the original attack, rounded down. If this this technique is used in tangent with a melee attack, the vacuum blade strikes immediately after the original attack is finished, potentially sealing the opponent's guard and creating an opening. The vacuum blade can be destroyed by an opponent with a higher strength than the practitioner.
Range should be a fraction rather than a flat 1:1, also remove the end portion of "blade can be destroyed". Its already implied by giving the blade a strength it can be canceled out or blocked. Otherwise despite the jutsu being a fraction of the original users strength, literally this jutsu means the opponent has to have a higher strength than the user's strength before the fraction.
Quote:
*[Iaido • Phantom Eulogy]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite(s): 35 Speed, *[Iaido • Phantom Funeral].
Building upon the principle set by Phantom Funeral, this technique serves as a defense for the practitioner. By momentarily torquing the muscles in their arms, the practitioner spawns a vacuum in front of them. The practitioner immediately follows up by pulling the scabbard up to strike through the vacuum, causing the vacuum to collapse violently. The resulting shockwave pushes the opponent back a number of meters equal to their speed. This shockwave is ineffective against enemies with a higher strength than the practitioner. Conversely, the practitioner may choose to ride the shockwave, pushing themselves back and away from the opponent the same distance.
This should have a fraction and be based on strength. "This jutsu pushes out with 1/2 the strength of the user in a shockwave format up to 1/2 Taijutsu of the user in meters."
Quote:
*[Iaido • Eternal Haunting]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver.
Prerequisite(s): *[Iaido • Footwork Mastery], *[Iaido • Ancestral Visage].
Pushing past the limits of normal human movement, the practitioner moves at the exact same speed, in the exact same direction, at the exact same time, and for the exact same distance as their opponent. This assures that the opponent will always remain in the practitioner's effective attack range. In order for this technique to operate at its peak efficiency, the practitioner must have a Speed and Strength score equal to or higher than the opponent’s Speed and Strength Scores. While this technique can be used regardless of stat differences, opponents with a higher speed can outpace the practitioner and pull away from them, and opponents with higher strength can accelerate more quickly than the practitioner, giving the opponent time to take countermeasures against the practitioner’s attacks. This technique can be used for a number of posts equal to 1/3 of the practitioner's Speed score, rounded down.
Jutsu seems irrelevant considering this is already implied in the stats itself when fighting.
Quote:
*[Iaido • Samurai’s Procession]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite(s): 35 Speed, 30 Instinct, *[Iaido • Phantom Funeral], *[Iaido • Phantom Eulogy].
Building upon the principles established by Phantom Funeral, the practitioner torques the muscles in their arms to produce slashes so fast that they create vacuum blades which travel in the direction of the original slash. These vacuum blades have 3/4th speed and strength as the original slashes (rounded down), and they travel a number of meters equal to the practitioner's strength. This technique can be used while moving. This technique can be used for up to three posts. The practitioner may adjust the cost of this technique by choosing how many or how few vacuum blades to create.
Also remove the "This technique can be used for up to three posts" as the user pays the stamina cost per time they use the air blade. Also range should be based off a fraction of the taijutsu stat.
Quote:
*[Iaido Ougi • Reincarnation Draw]
S-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite(s): 39 Speed, 39 Instinct, Must be trained at the Tea Country Dojo or learned from someone who has trained it, 10 Iaido Kenjutsu techniques.
The ultimate Iaido technique requires speed that outright shatters human limitations and transcends to near god-hood. By momentarily torquing every single muscle in their body for a split second, the practitioner builds up an immense amount of force. They then release this force, dashing instantly to the opponent's location (up to a number of meters away equal to the practitioner's Speed score) and delivering a slash so fast that properly reading this attack requires the opponent to have an average between their Instinct and Speed score, rounded up [(Inst+Spd)/2)], higher than the practitioner's Speed. Otherwise, the opponent will be completely unable to register the attack even happening or making contact. The dash itself is made with such explosive speed that it creates a massive 360 degree shockwave that follows the user to the end of their dash, pushing away anything within twenty meters of the user with a strength equal to 4/5 the practitioner's Strength score, rounded down, serving as a protection against reprisal should they somehow not connect with the attack. The quasi-teleportation effect of this technique constitutes the use of one of the character's two teleportations per thread.
Should be a fraction of the user's speed stat, I'd say 4/5ths. Also the shockwave needs a range on itself, preferably based on taijutsu. Also be sure to write that this does not traverse walls or obstacles and requires a clear straight path.

ShinobiTruth

Iaido Rework

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:42 am

Pretty much got everything. Per discussion in Discord, Eternal Haunting is meant to be a following technique, designed to be used in conjunction with the A-Rank Stance.

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Iaido Rework

Post by Niro » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:24 pm

1/2
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam