Shinden Style

NSRP

Shinden Style

Post by NSRP » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:10 am

Shinden Kenjutsu Emerging from the depths of the Marsh Country, Shinden is a style of Kenjutsu that focuses on one thing and one thing alone: overwhelming strength. While not completely forsaking flexibility, Shinden techniques are traditionally structured around downward slashes. Using a combination of their strength, gravity, inertia, centrifugal force, and technique, the practitioner brings unsurpassed might and death upon the heads of their opponents. Due to this quirk unique to Shinden, while sufficiently performed with a katana, users of this style typically prefer hafted weapons or heavier blades such as Nodachi, Odachi, and even Zanbatou. These large weapons further enhance the natural strengths the style's core mechanics provide, forgoing defense for brute strength and overwhelming power.

Requires: [Rigid Structure] Concentration; one of [Sword Weapons], [Polearm Weapons], or [Hafted Weapons] Concentration.
D-Rank Kenjutsu
*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Swaying Peltandra][/b][/color]
D-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
The use of larger swords and hafted weapons often makes close-quarters maneuvering of the practitioner's weapon more difficult. By placing one hand on the pommel/butt of the hilt or low section of the weapon's haft, the user is able to more easily maneuver, twist, slide, and flip their weapon in close quarters to cover a wider range of offensive and defensive options, using the second hand to give full power to their attacks and techniques. This Discipline represents the practitioner's mastery of this basic concept, allowing them to lessen the impact of their weapon's natural blind spots and weaknesses.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Ambidexterity][/b][/color]
After practicing for a long amount of time with the concept of using both of their hands with equal skill, the user has developed a level of ambidexterity that allows them to utilize both hands equally and as effectively without any penalty. This extends to other methods of combat or simple everyday life as well.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Swaying Cattail][/b][/color]
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]8 Strength.[/i]
A practitioner of Shinden must be able to control their weapon as easily as their own breath. This Discipline represents the practitioner's capacity to both change the orientation of their weapon to cover a different part of their body while spinning said weapon and to immediately change the direction said weapon is spinning without loss of defensive or offensive momentum.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Stream Splitting][/b][/color]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
A simple setup technique, the practitioner quickly and continuously spins their weapon in their hands, capable of switching their weapon between each hand if they wish. This technique can serve as a defense against projectiles and attacks, but its primary purpose is to set up the practitioner for their next attack or technique. Any attack or technique used after the practitioner uses this technique will be instantly launched at the practitioner's maximum Strength and Speed.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Branch Cleaver][/b][/color]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
One of Shinden's most basic offensive techniques, the practitioner raises their weapon over their head, using gravity and inertia to add momentum to their next attack. The practitioner then launches a ferocious two-handed swing in any single direction. The practitioner executes the cut in a circular motion, allowing them to quickly bring the weapon back to guard against a potential counterattack.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Hiding Under Mangroves][/b][/color]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Designed to catch unsuspecting foes by surprise, the practitioner can use this technique either as an offensive technique or as a counterattack. Using part of their weapon's hilt or guard (i.e. the pommel/butt of a sword's hilt), the practitioner bashes the opponent's head or face with the handle of their weapon before coming down with a swing in the opposite direction of the first strike. Landing the first blow makes it more likely that the second attack will find purchase on the opening created by the first attack of this technique. If the practitioner's Strength is 5 higher than the opponent's Endurance, this technique will cause immediate localized inflammation and hairline fractures on the point of impact.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Grass Cutter][/b][/color]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]8 Strength, 8 Speed.[/i]
A simple yet devastating technique, the practitioner executes a powerful thrust towards the opponent. At the end of the thrust, or just as the blade is making contact with the opponent if it hits, the practitioner violently rotates the blade in any single direction and finishes the technique with a slash in the direction the sword was twisted. This additional rotation and slash at the end can further damage opponents or catch an opponent that has evaded the original thrust by strafing to either side, ducking, or jumping.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Royal Fern][/b][/color]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]8 Strength, 8 Speed.[/i]
Using Shinden's superlative strength to bend the earth to their will, the practitioner spins their weapon and strikes the ground with a powerful blow, breaking the ground beneath them. Depending on the terrain, slabs of earth, rock, and stone will be uplifted where the practitioner struck, providing a temporary barrier against projectiles and attacks. These slabs of earth have a Strength equal to the practitioner's Strength, but they only remain for three posts.

C-Rank Kenjutsu
*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Toad Skin][/b][/color]
C-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
Shinden users understand that the size of their weapons cause naturally occurring blind spots and have trained to shore up those weaknesses in their defense. This Discipline represents the practitioner's ability to more finely control the natural blind spots of their weapons, passively strengthening their defenses and even allowing the practitioner to bait ignorant opponents into traps. This Discipline also allows the practitioner to easily wield their preferred two-handed weapon with one hand, if applicable.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Snapping Turtle][/b][/color]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Charging at the opponent, the practitioner grips the weapon's hilt or haft with one hand and rests their other hand on the pommel or butt of the haft or hilt with the other. As they drive their weapon forward in a thrust, the practitioner quickly torques the muscles in their forearm, wrist, and hand on the pommel/butt of the weapon and spin the weapon in their hand like a drill, greatly increasing the penetrative power of the thrust as they drive it into the opponent's guard and, hopefully, through their bodies. If the practitioner's Strength is 5 higher than the opponent's Endurance, this technique will cause hairline fractures, localized inflammation, and minor internal bleeding.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Leaping Toad][/b][/color]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[color=olive][i][Shinden • Stream Splitting][/i][/color].
Taking to the sky, the practitioner jumps off of the ground, engaging their weapon in a ferocious spin. The practitioner can choose to complete this technique in one of three ways: a powerful diving swing or thrust, a somersaulting overhead strike, or a midair dodge by swinging the weapon in any single direction and allowing the momentum generated by the weight of the weapon and the swing to carry them in that direction. Due to the sheer momentum of this technique, if the practitioner's Strength is higher than the opponent's Endurance, any armor or weapon used to defend against this technique will be rendered ineffective, either by being rent from the opponent's hand or broken outright. This technique is not as effective when performed with a normal sword or katana.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Toad Lash][/b][/color]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Strength, 15 Speed.[/i]
The practitioner will momentarily dig the tip of their weapon into the ground, quickly build a large amount of tension in their muscles. The practitioner will then release the tension into a wide, sweeping cut in any single direction, curving away from the ground to avoid lodging their weapon into the ground if choosing an overhead swing. If the practitioner's Strength is 5 higher than the opponent's Endurance, this technique will knock the opponent up or away a number of meters equal to the practitioner's Strength in addition to the damage normally taken from this technique. The practitioner can immediately transition into a defensive weapon spin to shore up openings after the technique if they wish.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Toad Boils][/b][/color]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
The practitioner will engage their weapon in a continuous spin, the weapon spinning in multiple directions so as to cover the practitioner on all sides. This seemingly chaotic series of spins actually serves as a simultaneous defense and offense for the practitioner, allowing them to both defend against an opponent's attacks and projectiles as well as rush the opponent with a flurry of alternating strikes from a variety of angles. The practitioner can maintain this technique for a number of posts equal to their Strength stat.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Turtle Shell][/b][/color]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Momentarily torquing their muscles in their arms, the practitioner slams their weapon's blade or tip down into the ground, releasing the tension in a violent rotation as it plunges into the ground. Depending on the terrain, a doubled circular wall of large twisting rocks, stone, and bedrock will be uplifted and erupt from the ground, potentially striking opponents and providing a defense against attacks and projectiles. These slabs of earth have a Strength equal to the practitioner's Strength, but they only remain for four posts.

B-Rank Kenjutsu
*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Alligator Skin][/b][/color]
B-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
Shinden practitioners learn how to handle their large weapons so accurately that they wield them as proficiently as any normal warrior with a smaller weapon. This Discipline represents the practitioner’s capacity to seamlessly fight with their two-handed weapon of choice as if it were a one-handed weapon. This allows them to perform quicker, more complex movements, guards, and attacks with their weapon of choice without any penalty related to the size or weight of the weapon.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Alligator Scales][/b][/color]
B-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
A Shinden practitioner learns to endure and deaden pain and resist shock. This Discipline represents the practitioner’s ability to not flinch or be staggered by attacks they receive of equal or lower Strength than their Strength stat. It also represents the toughened skin and bones the practitioner has developed throughout their training, lessening pain and preventing minor injuries that the practitioner would otherwise suffer during the course of combat or inflict on themselves using Shinden techniques.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Alligator Jaw Vice][/b][/color]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]25 Strength, 25 Speed[/i], *[color=olive][i][Shinden • Toad Boils][/i][/color].
An improvement on its parent technique, the practitioner will engage their weapon in a continuous spin, the weapon spinning in multiple directions so as to cover the practitioner on all sides. This seemingly chaotic series of spins actually serves as a simultaneous defense and offense for the practitioner, allowing them to both defend against an opponent's attacks and projectiles as well as rush them opponent with a flurry of alternating strikes from a variety of angles. The practitioner can also incorporate quick thrusts to further pressure the opponent or counterattack, increasing the effectiveness of the defense the technique provides. The practitioner can maintain this technique for a number of posts equal to their Strength stat.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Twisting Alligator][/b][/color]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]35 Strength, 25 Speed[/i], *[color=olive][i][Shinden • Snapping Turtle][/I][/color].
One of Shinden’s most lethal techniques, the practitioner points their weapon toward the opponent, one hand at the base of the hilt or haft of the weapon and the other on the butt/pommel of the hilt or haft. Momentarily torquing their muscles, the practitioner violently spins the weapon in their grip. The strength of the rotation causes a vacuum to occur at the tip of the weapon, drawing any opponent in within a 25-meter radius with a Strength equal to 1/2 the practitioner’s Strength, rounded down. Should an opponent be close enough, the practitioner will charge and violently thrust their weapon in and through the opponent, the vacuum increasing the lethality of the thrust.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • River Splitting][/b][/color]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]35 Strength, 25 Speed[/i], *[i][color=olive][Shinden • Stream Splitting][/color][/I].
Momentarily torquing the muscles in their arms, shoulders and back, the practitioner channels that force into a wide, powerful swing. This swing, aside from being plenty deadly in its own right, produces a twisting horizontal pressure wave measuring ten feet in diameter which travels at a Speed and for a number of meters equal to the practitioner’s Strength and strikes with a force equal to 2/3 the practitioner’s Strength, rounded down. This twister is able to pick up water, dirt, fire, and small debris, potentially increasing the damage the pressure wave can cause.

A Rank
*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Titan's Resilience][/b][/color]
A Rank Taijutsu Discipline
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[color=olive][i][Shinden • Alligator Skin][/i][/color].
Understanding that victory often requires momentary sacrifices and the strongest of wills, the practitioner has learned how to ignore all types of pain. This Discipline represents the practitioner's immunity to any staggering or interruption of their movements, defenses, attacks, or techniques that would normally be caused by pain, however severe. This does not offer any protection against the actual damage caused by attacks that successfully land on the practitioner, only their ability to immediately push through the pain through force of will and carry out their own attacks and counterattacks.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Hand of the Titan][/b][/color]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
An unusual technique within the Shinden style, this technique is meant to not slay an opponent, but to remove them from the battlefield instead. Torquing the muscles in their body, the practitioner will catch the opponent with a non-lethal thrust or swing, often striking the opponent with the flat of their blade if possible. Then, releasing the pent up force in their muscles into a violent spin, the practitioner rotates rapidly before launching the opponent up or away a great distance. Any opponent caught in this technique will be launched a number of meters equal to 20 x the practitioner's Strength stat in meters at a speed equal to the practitioner's Strength stat. If the practitioner uses this attack in a lethal manner, the maximum distance the opponent can be launched is equal to the practitioner's Strength stat. The opponent must have higher Endurance than the practitioner's Strength to resist the launching effect. The opponent can still potentially suffer injury from the strike itself and from any collision and fall damage they may suffer as they are flung through the air.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Titan's Crushing Grip][/b][/color]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]30 Strength, 30 Speed.[/i]
Momentarily torquing every single muscle in their body, the practitioner generates an immense amount of force in their body. Then, after launching a preliminary attack, the pent up force is released, causing the practitioner to instantaneously launch a second attack at their maximum speed, essentially landing two attacks in the same time frame it would normally take to launch one. In order to defend against this attack, the opponent must have equal or higher Endurance than the practitioner's Strength. Otherwise, this double-attack will rend through the opponent's defenses, possibly even breaking weapons and armor as the attack cleaves the opponent or runs them through.

*[color=olive][b][Shinden • Titan's Sunken Maw][/b][/color]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]35 Strength, 35 Speed[/i], *[color=olive][i][Shinden • Alligator Jaw Vice][/i][/color].
An improvement on its parent technique, the practitioner will engage their weapon in a continuous spin, the weapon spinning in multiple directions so as to cover the practitioner on all sides. This seemingly chaotic series of spins actually serves as a simultaneous defense and offense for the practitioner, allowing them to both defend against an opponent's attacks and projectiles as well as rush the opponent with a flurry of alternating strikes and thrusts from a variety of angles, defending, attacking, and counterattacking in one series of movements. The amount of air turbulence caused by this technique causes a suction force to form around the practitioner with a range equal to the practitioner's Strength in meters, pulling in all opponents within towards the practitioner with a Strength equal to 3/4 the Practitioner's Strength stat, rounded down. The practitioner can maintain this technique for a number of posts equal to their Strength stat.

Ougi
*[color=olive][b][Shinden Ougi • Entropic Graveyard[/b][/color]
S-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]39 Strength, 39 Speed, must be learned at the Marsh Country Dojo or taught by someone who has trained there[/i], [i]10[/i] [b][i][color=olive]Shinden Kenjutsu[/color][/i][/b] [i]techniques[/i].
A superlative demonstration of the practitioner's strength and speed, the practitioner torques every single muscle in their body, generating an enormous amount of potential energy in their muscles. Then, the practitioner slams their weapon into the ground, cracking and sundering the very earth beneath their feet. All terrain with a radius of meters equal to the practitioner's Strength will immediately shatter and be shot twisting upwards at a Speed equal to the practitioner's Strength and with a Strength equal to 4/5 the practitioner's Strength, rounded down. The nature of this technique causes a massive, immediate crater in the effect area of the technique, and opponents can be quickly damaged or even killed by the large amount of rock, stone, and earthen debris. Only a small area around the practitioner will be left untouched.

If you need help, please contact a moderator through the Naruto Saigen Discord or private message one of our Moderators on the forum.

Return to “Taijutsu Styles”