Iaido Style

NSRP

Iaido Style

Post by NSRP » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:13 am

Iaido Kenjutsu The samurai of the Land of Tea have produced a unique style of Kenjutsu called Iaido. Unlike other styles, which rely on the sword being drawn to attack, a practitioner of Iaido is always ready to attack their opponents, even when their weapon is sheathed in its scabbard. Known as a "sword drawing" technique, Iaido uses the smooth, linear motion of pulling the sword from its sheath to create abnormally fast slashes and strikes against often ignorant and unsuspecting opponents. Though the katana is preferred for this style, any curved sword single-edged sword with a complimenting scabbard is compatible with this style. Their ability to fight with both traditional swordplay and hand-to-hand combat while perfectly capable of switching to quick slashes and stabs using Iaido's hallmark techniques makes practitioners of this style unpredictable fighters.

[b]Requires:[/b] [i][Sword Weapons][/i], [i][Perception][/i] Concentrations.[/center][/table]
D-Rank Techniques
*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Ancestral Focus][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
The hallmark of Iaido is its practitioners abilities to launch an attack even when their swords are sheathed. This Discipline represents the practitioner's capacity to consistently execute a sword draw and slash all in one movement by gripping the edge of the scabbard and pulling the scabbard slightly forward before drawing the sword. This Discipline enables the practitioner to immediately draw their sword and attack at the start of combat.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Weapon Mastery][/color][/b]
Since Iaido is a style that prioritizes speed over brute strength, wise usage of the blade is paramount to the practitioner's success in the style. This Discipline represents the practitioner's knowledge of their weapon's strengths and weaknesses in combat, allowing them to use the weapon more efficiently both inside and outside of its use in Iaido techniques and avoid unnecessarily presenting their weapon's blind spots to the opponent.

*[color=#8B658B][b][Iaido • Ambidexterity][/b][/color]
After practicing for a long amount of time with the concept of using both of their hands with equal skill, the user has developed a level of ambidexterity that allows them to utilize both hands equally and as effectively without any penalty. This extends to other methods of combat or simple everyday life as well.

*[b][color=#8B658B]*[Iaido • One with the Sheath][/color][/b]
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]8 Speed.[/i]
The practitioner has learned how to more quickly and efficiently sheath his blades. The practitioner can now seamlessly transition from drawing their blade to slash to sheathing their blade, allowing the practitioner to sheath their sword in half the time, up to a maximum speed equal to their Speed score, for the more rapid execution of Iaido techniques.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Last Breath][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
The most iconic (and most basic) strike of Iaido, the practitioner quickly draws and cuts with their blade in a wide arc in one fluid motion. This simultaneous draw and attack straight from the scabbard makes Iaido well-suited for an initial surprise attack and for taking advantage of openings presented by the opponent.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Mantra][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
A simple yet potent defense, especially against other weapons users, the practitioner partially draws the sword from its scabbard and blocks incoming attacks with the back of their blade. This technique is ineffective against opponents with higher Strength than the practitioner's Strength.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Last Rites][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
A defensive technique particularly useful when an opponent is close to the practitioner or is clinching them in a grapple, the practitioner grabs the hilt of their sword with a reverse grip and rams the butt or pommel of the hilt into the opponent's body, pushing the opponent back a number of meters equal to the difference between their Strength scores. Conversely, against opponents with higher Strength than their own, the practitioner can use this technique to push themselves back a number of meters equal to their own Strength score. The speed and simplicity of the attack can push opponents away and give the practitioner the needed space to set up additional attacks.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Clouding Eyes][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]8 Speed.[/i]
A simple technique meant to cripple the target's vision, the practitioner draws the sword from its scabbard and aims a quick slash at the eyes. This technique can be done in any single direction to either target one or both of the opponent's eyes.
C-Rank Techniques
*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Shinigami Draw][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
Losing the use of one's hand or arm in a fight can be a death sentence, but Iaido has found a simple, elegant response to this desperate situation. Using their free hand, the practitioner momentarily braces the edge of their sword against the inside of the scabbard before drawing. While it does not confer the instant acceleration benefit of its parent technique, this Discipline does allow the practitioner to use Iaido techniques at their normal speed even with only one hand.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • One with the Sword][/color][/b]
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • One with the Sheath].[/i][/color]
The practitioner has learned how to more quickly and efficiently sheath his blades even without the use of both hands. The practitioner can now sheath the blade just as quickly with one hand as could be done with two hands, and so long as the scabbard remains on their person, the practitioner will always have an exact knowledge of the position of their scabbard.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Ancestral Visage][/color][/b]
Using Iaido to its fullest requires a keen eye and quick reactions, enabling its users to target weaknesses and openings that their opponents present almost instantaneously. This Discipline represents the practitioner's ability to attack openings that present themselves, the practitioner now able to reflexively attack an opening in almost the same moment that it is observed. This Discipline reduces the gap of time between a practitioner recognizing a potential opening for attack and launching the attack to exploit said opening to almost nil.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Death’s Gate][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Speed.[/i]
Drawing upon the superlative speed of Iaido, the practitioner momentarily torques the muscles in their body to draw their sword from its scabbard and deliver a blindingly fast slash before sheathing their blade. Properly reading this attack requires the opponent to have a Perception technique of equal or higher rank than this technique. Otherwise, they cannot accurately read the attack and will be unlikely to completely avoid the attack, if at all.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Peace in Death][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Speed.[/i]
An abnormally aggressive technique in Iaido, this technique serves as a preemptive counter, attacking the opponent in the split moment between drawing back to prepare an attack and launching said attack. Violently torquing the muscles in their legs, the practitioner more quickly accelerates to their maximum speed (or instantly accelerating to their max speed if their Strength is equal or higher than their Speed) than with normal movement. With this movement, the practitioner bolts toward the opponent and launches an attack, cutting the opponent as they pass to their side. This technique can be used while moving to immediately change direction instead before launching the attack. Properly reading this attack requires the opponent to have a Perception technique of equal or higher rank than this technique.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Shinigami’s Wrath][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Speed[/i].
A technique refining the concept of targeting multiple opponents with a single draw, the practitioner uses their sheath hand to reverse grip the hilt. Using the one hand, the practitioner quickly torques their body and cuts with a reverse hand slash a full 360 degrees before immediately sheathing the blade. This technique can strike multiple opponents at once, and the reverse grip of the sword allows the practitioner to more easily defend against counterattacks immediately after.
B-Rank Techniques
*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • One with the Spirit][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • One with the Sheath][/i][/color], *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • One with the Sword].[/i][/color]
Through incredible amounts of practice, the practitioner of Iaido has learned his weapon and its housing inside and out. The user of this weapon can now reflexively sheath their sword in its scabbard almost instantaneously by instinct with either one hand or both hands without even looking. This facilitates further use of other Iaido techniques.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Spectral Flight][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Strength, 25 Speed,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Ancestral Visage].[/i][/color]
In order for Iaido to stand toe to toe with a variety of high-level opponents, refining fundamentals to a new height is necessary. This Discipline represents the practitioner's ability to more quickly accelerate to max movement speed and decelerate to a full stop at a moment's notice. This does not offer protection against attacks that the practitioner does not know is coming.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Silent Passing][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Death’s Gates].[/i][/color]
Unlike most of Iaido's techniques, Silent Passing is not particularly useful in the heat of combat. Instead, it is an attack meant to be executed from a standing position, such as while casually walking towards an opponent. Once in close enough proximity to the opponent, the practitioner draws their sword, strikes the opponent's opening, and sheaths their blade with such speed, it appears to the untrained eye that the practitioner continued to simply walk past their target. Properly reading this attack requires the opponent to have a Perception technique of equal or higher rank than this technique. Otherwise, the opponent will not be capable of fully avoiding this attack if they are in range without some sort of passive defense.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Death Draw][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]20 Strength, 25 Speed,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Death’s Gate][/i][/color], *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Spectral Flight].[/i][/color]
Building upon the premise established by the Death's Gate technique, this technique now makes it possible to use the technique against opponents at greater distances. Drawing upon the superlative speed of Iaido, the practitioner momentarily torques the muscles in their body to instantly accelerate to their maximum speed. Dashing a number of meters equal to the practitioner's Strength, they draw their sword from its scabbard and deliver a blindingly fast slash before resheathing their blade. Properly reading this attack requires the opponent to have a Perception technique of equal or higher rank than this technique. Otherwise, the opponent cannot accurately read the attack and will be unlikely to completely avoid the attack, if at all.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Phantom Funeral][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]35 Speed.[/i]
The superlative speed of Iaido is harnessed to attain seemingly supernatural feats. By momentarily torquing the muscles in their arms, the practitioner manages slashes so fast that they spawn vacuum blades that follow the trajectory of their original attack. This attack spawns a single vacuum blade that travels up to a number of meters equal to half the practitioner's Speed, rounded down, and hits with 1/2 the Strength of the original attack, rounded down. If this technique is used in tangent with a melee attack, the vacuum blade strikes immediately after the original attack is finished, potentially sealing the opponent's guard and creating an opening. This technique can be used in conjunction with other techniques.
A-Rank Techniques
*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Shinigami’s Gaze][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Stance.
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]30 Speed,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Ancestral Visage].[/i][/color]
Taking a deep breath and regulating their breathing, the practitioner assumes a crouched stance, leaning forward slightly as their sword hand hovers over the hilt of their blade, the scabbard's edge firmly gripped with their opposing hand. Forcing external distractions out of the mind such as pain, fatigue, and non-critical environmental distractions, the practitioner directs all of their focus onto a single opponent, dropping themselves into a trance called the Theta state. The Theta state allows the practitioner to react almost instinctively to each action of the opponent. These reactions happen so quickly that a proficient user of this stance can commonly interrupt or counter an opponent's actions with a movement or slash before they even finish it. This stance will constantly drain the practitioner while in use, and it is both ineffective and dangerous to use when fighting multiple opponents. If the opponent's Speed is higher than the practitioner's Speed, this technique is rendered useless.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Phantom Step Mastery][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Discipline.
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]20 Strength, 30 Speed,[/i] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Spectral Flight].[/i][/color]
Continuing to push the movements of Iaido past normal human understanding, the practitioner has learned how to quickly decelerate and accelerate their movements so quickly and so fluidly that they are able to create momentary afterimages of themselves with movement. These afterimages fade quickly, but properly reading the practitioner's movements requires the opponent to have a Perception technique of equal or higher rank than this technique. This can be used in a variety of ways to enhance their attacks. Only one afterimage can be created per post using this Discipline.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Sword Spirit Draw][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Overwhelming the opponent with a literal shower of high-speed slashes, the practitioner torques the muscles in their arm to draw their sword and continue to assault the opponent's defenses with a seemingly unending wave of slashes. By torquing the muscles in the arm and twisting the wrist when changing the direction of the slash, each strike of the sword is as fast as if it had been drawn from its scabbard. This technique can be used while moving, and the practitioner can feint strikes within the flurry to throw the opponent off-guard. This technique can be used for up to three posts.

*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido • Afterlife Draw][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[color=#8B658B][i][Iaido • Phantom Step Mastery].[/i][/color]
By momentarily torquing the muscles in their body, the practitioner launches a series of six blindingly fast slashes, targeting vital areas such as the gut, pelvis, neck and throat, large arteries and veins in limbs, etc., upon which a solid blow would prove fatal. The movement of this technique is so fast that it creates an afterimage of the practitioner as they begin to move, and the afterimage fades after the practitioner has finished executing the move. Properly reading this attack requires the opponent to have a Perception technique of equal or higher rank than this technique. Otherwise, the opponent will not be able to anticipate this technique and fully avoid even one strike, let alone all six.
Ougi
*[b][color=#8B658B][Iaido Ougi • Reincarnation Draw][/color][/b]
S-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]39 Speed, Must be trained at the Tea Country Dojo or learned from someone who has trained it,[/i] [i]10[/i] [b][i][color=#8B658B]Iaido Kenjutsu[/color][/i][/b] [i]techniques.[/i]
The ultimate Iaido technique requires speed that outright shatters human limitations and transcends to near god-hood. By momentarily torquing every single muscle in their body for a split second, the practitioner builds up an immense amount of force. They then release this force, dashing instantly to the opponent's location (up to a number of meters away equal to 4/5 the practitioner's Speed score, rounded down) and delivering a slash so fast that properly reading this attack requires the opponent to have a sight-based or sound-based Perception technique of equal or higher rank than this technique. Otherwise, the opponent will be completely unable to register the attack even happening or making contact. The dash itself is made with such explosive speed that it creates a massive 360-degree shockwave that follows the user to the end of their dash, pushing away anything from the practitioner within a number of meters equal to 4/5 the practitioner's Speed, rounded down, with a strength equal to 4/5 the practitioner's Strength score, rounded down, serving as a protection against reprisal should they somehow not connect with the attack. This technique cannot subvert obstacles or terrain and requires a relatively clear path to execute. The quasi-teleportation effect of this technique constitutes the use of one of the character's two teleportation uses per thread.

Return to “Taijutsu Styles”