Toryu Style

NSRP

Toryu Style

Post by NSRP » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:49 pm

Toryu Kenjutsu Toryu, a style of Kenjutsu founded in the Land of Pebbles, melds traditional kenjutsu swordplay with subversive feints and sudden bursts of close-quarters combat, two unyielding hills crashing together to form a mountain. Toryu typically favors the use of the blade with one hand, utilizing the freedom of movement to use one's hands, joints, legs, head, and even the hilt and handle of the sword to make an already deadly style more unpredictable and more lethal. Ignorantly considered a very "unrefined" style by most practitioners of the sword, Toryu is actually one of the most difficult styles of Kenjutsu to learn and master. The very basic premise of the style revolves around the firm control and manipulation of one's own movements and body, some techniques requiring execution while using another attack as a feint or misdirection while not sacrificing strength. The style has no weapon requirements outside of a sword, but many users often prefer kodachi, wakizashi, ninjato, or even tanto, the reduced size and weight of the blades having fewer blind spots and making the user's weapon more mobile.

Requires: [Close Quarters Combat], [Sword Weapons] Concentrations.
NocodeShow
[quote=Toryu]Toryu, a style of Kenjutsu founded in the Land of Pebbles, melds traditional kenjutsu swordplay with subversive feints and sudden bursts of close-quarters combat, two unyielding hills crashing together to form a mountain. Toryu typically favors the use of the blade with one hand, utilizing the freedom of movement to use one's hands, joints, legs, head, and even the hilt and handle of the sword to make an already deadly style more unpredictable and more lethal. Ignorantly considered a very "unrefined" style by most practitioners of the sword, Toryu is actually one of the most difficult styles of Kenjutsu to learn and master. The very basic premise of the style revolves around the firm control and manipulation of one's own movements and body, some techniques requiring execution while using another attack as a feint or misdirection while not sacrificing strength. The style has no weapon requirements outside of a sword, but many users often prefer kodachi, wakizashi, ninjato, or even tanto, the reduced size and weight of the blades having fewer blind spots and making the user's weapon more mobile.

[b]Requires:[/b] [i][Close Quarters Combat], [Sword Weapons] Concentrations[/i].[/center][/quote]
D-Rank Techniques:
*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Skipping Stone][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Stance
The signature Stance of Toryu, practitioners relax the muscles in their bodies, gaining additional flexibility in their movements in how they approach the enemy, how they retreat, how they evade attacks, and how they attack the opponent. This Stance allows the practitioner to more easily read opponent's attacks and defend against them by evading in unusual ways, such as ducking, bending around, and quickly sidestepping attacks without needlessly exposing themselves to additional attacks. This fleet-footed Stance lets the practitioner mix up their movements to confuse and misdirect the opponent, allowing them to attack lesser-known openings in the opponent's guard. It also allows the practitioner to rapidly and reflexively change the angle, position and grip of their weapon with minimal movement, allowing them multiple manners in which they can attack the opponent or defend against attacks.

*[color=#b23a22][b][Toryu • Ambidexterity][/b][/color]
D-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
After practicing for a long amount of time with the concept of using both of their hands with equal skill, the user has developed a level of ambidexterity that allows them to utilize both hands equally and as effectively without any penalty. This extends to other methods of combat or simple everyday life as well.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Cobblestone Skeleton][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
A practitioner of Toryu is capable of attacking with every part of their body, even their heads. This Discipline represents the practitioner's capacity and experience with executing palm strikes, heel strikes, knee strikes, elbow strikes, and headbutts/skull bashes just as effectively as regular punches, kicks, and sword strikes. This Discipline allows the practitioner to consistently execute these kinds of attacks while minimizing or eliminating openings in their defenses or shock/damage they would experience while using these kinds of strikes.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Dust Eater][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
The practitioner moves in and initiates a feint in the form of a thrust. Partway through the thrust, however, the practitioner twists their arm to the side and drops low, rotating and lashing out with a spinning low kick, attempting to sweep the opponent's feet out from under them. Opponents with an Acrobatics technique of equal or higher rank than this technique can resist the tripping effect.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Falling Stone][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Moving in to launch either an unarmed attack or an attack with their blade, the practitioner will launch a simultaneous unarmed attack or weapon attack with their other hand, bringing their fist or the pommel/butt of their weapon to slam into the opponent's guard, targeting their hands or wrists. Opponents with an Acrobatics technique of equal or higher rank than this technique can resist being disarmed. Otherwise, the practitioner slams the opponent's guard aside, potentially allowing the original attack to strike the opponent directly.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Sinking Quicksand][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]8 Strength[/i].
One of Toryu's many grappling techniques, the practitioner steps in close to the opponent, slamming their heel into the opponent's foot to lock the target in place. In the same movement, the practitioner grabs the opponent's arm and flips them over their back, slamming them to the ground unless the opponent has an Acrobatics technique of an equal or higher rank than this technique. The prone position this leaves the opponent in leaves them exposed to an attack of opportunity from the practitioner's weapon after executing this technique.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Sundering Gravel][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]8 Strength[/i].
Designed as a counterattack but also a potent attack by itself, the practitioner will first wait to block or parry an opponent's attack with their weapon. Then, the practitioner will quickly counter with a swift knee strike to the opponent's stomach or diaphragm to stun them or cause them to stagger by winding them, followed by a quick slash or stab to their chest or stomach. The practitioner may choose to use this as an attack instead by immediately leading off with the knee strike if they so wish. Opponents with equal or higher Endurance than the practitioner's Strength can resist being winded.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Pebble Split][/color][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Designed as a counterattack but also a potent attack by itself, the practitioner will first wait to sidestep an attack before countering with a swift elbow strike with their sword hand to the opponent's face to stun them or cause them to stagger by winding them, grabbing the opponent's arm or garment with their unarmed hand to hold them in place. Immediately following the elbow strike, the practitioner will pull the opponent to one side while executing a slash in the opposite direction with their sword hand. Opponents with an Acrobatics technique of equal or higher rank than this technique can escape from the grappling component of this technique.
C-Rank Techniques:
*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Lethal Familiarity][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
Many of the Toryu techniques would put the user in incredibly daring positions where a single mistake could instantly spell disaster for the swordsman. As a result, Toryu practitioners must train themselves constantly to avoid letting their fears distract them from their task. A practitioner with this technique has learned to shut out fear in the heat of combat, allowing them to perform attacks and techniques without the risk of failure due to fear responses.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Spite Breaker][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
An unorthodox use of swordsmanship, the practitioner rushes the opponent and leaps at them, attempting to land on their shoulders. Should the practitioner succeed, they will forcefully shift their weight onto the opponent's shoulders, potentially unbalancing them. Opponents with an Acrobatic technique of an equal or higher rank than this technique can resist having their guard be disrupted. Otherwise, the opponent will be suddenly thrown off balance, leaving their head, neck, or torso exposed for the practitioner to attack with their sword.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Fury Guard][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
A technique allowing the practitioner to partially customize their focus on defense or offense, the practitioner guards against attacks while immediately attacking subsequent openings with their free hand. The form this takes depends on which hand they prioritize for defense. Should they choose to guard with their sword hand, the practitioner deflects the attacks outwards, away from the opponent's center of mass where their guard is strongest, and responds by launching unarmed counter-attacks like a punch, elbow, or throw. If they choose to guard with their unarmed hand, the practitioner blocks the attack by intercepting the haft of the weapon or the opponent's wrists with the back of their fist or forearm and counter with more lethal slashes and stabs from their sword.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Misery Drop][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Strength[/i].
A variant of the Spite Breaker, the practitioner rushes the opponent and leaps at them, spinning and attempting to land on their shoulders, clinching their legs around the opponent's neck. Should the practitioner succeed, they will forcefully shift all of their weight back, potentially unbalancing the opponent. Opponents with an Acrobatics technique of equal or higher rank than this technique can resist having their guard be disrupted. Otherwise, the opponent will be suddenly thrown back and flipped down before slamming face-first into the ground. The practitioner can roll up onto the opponent's back with this motion, offering a clean stab down into the back of the opponent's skull to finish them off.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Grave Digger][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Strength[/i].
Rushing in towards the opponent either as a charging attack or after evading an opponent's attack, the practitioner starts with their arms crossed in front of their chests before quickly sweeping their elbows up over their heads, the flat of the practitioner's front-most elbow potentially striking the opponent under their chin. While this elbow strike can cause considerable damage by itself, the purpose of the elbow strike is to cause the opponent to dodge. With their arms crossed over their heads, the practitioner braces their unarmed hand against their sword arm and swings both down at once. The additional torque provided by the unarmed hand allows the sword strike that follows to immediately accelerate to maximum speed. The practitioner can twist or sidestep during this downswing to compensate for where the opponent is dodging.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Crushing Despair][/color][/b]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]15 Strength[/i], *[i][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Cobblestone Skeleton][/color][/i].
A brutal, raw technique, the practitioner quickly dashes into an opponent's range, often after avoiding an enemy attack, momentarily torquing the muscles in their legs before launching a powerful knee strike directly up into the target's diaphragm and sternum in an attempt to stagger the opponent. Aside from potentially fracturing or even breaking bones, the opponent can potentially be left winded. This sudden attack can potentially open up many vulnerable areas on the opponent's body for possible finishing moves.
B-Rank Techniques:
*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Granite Epitaph][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]25 Strength[/i].
After much training with grappling, clinching, blocking, deflecting, and parrying weapons, the practitioner gains skin as sturdy as rock, allowing them even more avenues for defense and attack. This Discipline represent's the practitioner's body conditioning for toughening their skin all over their bodies, especially on their hands. This makes the practitioner's skin harder to cut or penetrate, and it allows the practitioner to perform normally self-destructive feats, such as blade catches, without needlessly harming themselves.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Grim Kamikaze][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]Strength stat must be equal to or higher than Speed stat[/i].
A difficult technique designed to use the opponent's own forward moment against them, the practitioner waits until the opponent begins advancing. Then, waiting for the opponent to launch an attack, the practitioner throws themselves bodily into the opponent before the attack is executed, slamming into the opponent and potentially stunning them. Then, momentarily torquing the muscles in their body, the practitioner grabs the opponent's arm and releases that energy into a violent downward flip that accelerates the throw to the practitioner's max Speed. The practitioner drops to one knee to finish the throw right in front of them, cratering their opponent as they immediately bring their blade down to stab the opponent in the chest, neck, or head. This technique can be used as its own attack or as a counterattack. The opponent can escape the grapple if they have an Acrobatics technique of equal or higher rank than this technique.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Gripping Eulogy][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[i][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Granite Epitaph][/color][/i].
Varying in usefulness depending on the practitioner's position in relation to the opponent or the reach of the opponent's weapon, the practitioner places themselves slightly offset to one side in the path of an opponent's attack. The practitioner then attempts to catch the opponent's blade or weapon, latching on tightly at the weapon's dullest point before violently twisting and pulling the weapon away from the opponent. If the practitioner catches the opponent's weapon, and if the practitioner's Strength is higher than their opponent's average of their Strength and Endurance, rounded up, the practitioner can immediately yank the weapon from the opponent's grip, disarming them.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Remorseless Burial][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]25 Strength[/i].
Used both as a regular aggressive attack or as a counterattack, the practitioner will grab one of the opponent's arms with their unarmed hand. At the same time, the practitioner will bring their sword hand, holding the blade in a reverse grip, and bodily slam their fist into the opponent's throat. Immediately dropping down during the execution of the punch, the opponent is cratered into the ground and potentially stunned, allowing the practitioner to quickly slit the opponent's throat and finish the match. The opponent can escape the grab if they have an Acrobatics technique of equal or higher rank than this technique.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Widow Maker][/color][/b]
B-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]25 Strength, Strength Stat must be equal to or higher than Speed stat[/i].
A technique both used as an attack on its own or as a counterattack, the practitioner rushes in close to the opponent and feints a slash by crossing their arms together. Instead, however, the practitioner momentarily torques the muscles in their arms and violently rams their head upwards into the opponent's chin, potentially stunning them. Almost immediately after delivering the headbutt, the practitioner released the tension in their muscles, pushing out the sword arm with their unarmed hand, resulting in a slash that immediately accelerates to the practitioner's maximum Speed, often fatally wounding the opponent as the blade slashes through muscle, bone, major vessels, and organs. Opponents with an Acrobatic technique of equal or higher rank can resist being stunned.
A-Rank Techniques:
*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Searching For Hope][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] *[i][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Granite Epitaph][/color][/I]
Extending additional uses to the body conditioning of the hands, Toryu practitioners are skilled in parrying and deflecting attacks with their bare hands. This Discipline represents the practitioner’s capacity to defend against weapon attacks with their hands whenever they wish to do so. This is executed by placing their palms against the flat of the blade or around a non-damaging section of the weapon and pushing or deflecting the weapon away. This Discipline is ineffective against Acrobatics weapon attacks of equal or higher rank than this technique.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Desperate Assault][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]Strength stat must be equal to or higher than Speed stat[/i].
A full-committal technique, the practitioner will momentarily torque every muscle in their body as they evade an opponent's attack(s). As soon as an opportunity presents itself, the practitioner releases the tension and bursts forward instantly, immediately accelerating to their maximum Speed. In quick succession, the practitioner starts by slipping their foot between the opponent's legs and behind one of their knees to cut off escape and compromise the opponent's balance. Next, the practitioner hooks their arm around the opponent's elbow and puts pressure on the outside of the joint, forcing the arm to hyper-extend and expose their center of mass. Finally, in that short moment, the practitioner brings their sword to pierce any one of the opponent's vital organs or their aorta, though most practitioners aim for the heart. This technique is not without risk, as an opponent with an Acrobatics technique of equal or higher rank than this technique will be able to resist the practitioner's clinches and possibly even counterattack.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Charge of the Faithful][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]35 Strength[/i].
The practitioner will momentarily torque the muscles in their legs as they brace themselves against the earth. Then, the practitioner will rocket forth in a dash towards the opponent, the force of their movement causing a localized earthquake within a number of meters equal to the practitioner's Strength. The earthquake rocks the ground with a force equivalent to 3/4 the practitioner's Strength stat, rounded down. Opponents with an Acrobatics technique of equal or higher rank than this technique are stumbled, the movements of the ground preventing them from moving. The practitioner then slams into the opponent with a charging attack. This charging attack will knock away any opponent with a lower Strength than the practitioner's Strength up to a number of meters equal to the practitioner's Strength, aside from causing significant damage. The practitioner can choose what form this attack takes, such as a punch, kick, knee, elbow strike, headbutt, shoulder charge, etc.

*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu • Valiant Skyfall][/color][/b]
A-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]35 Strength[/i].
Torquing every single muscle in their body, the practitioner grabs the opponent and throws them wildly up into the air, causing the opponent's body to flip upside down, their head facing the ground. The practitioner, slamming the hilt of their weapon into the ground first, jumps up and tightly clinches the opponent as they drop towards the ground. The practitioner aims to slam the opponent's head straight into the blade lodged in the ground, killing them almost instantly even before they impact the ground. An opponent with an Acrobatics technique of equal or higher rank than this technique can break the clinch and escape the technique.
Ougi:
*[b][color=#b23a22][Toryu Ougi • Glorious Dawn][/color][/b]
S-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
[b]Prerequisite(s):[/b] [i]39 Strength, Must be trained at the Pebble Country Dojo or learned from someone who has trained it, 10[/i] [b][i][color=#b23a22]Toryu Kenjutsu[/color][/i][/b] [i]techniques.[/i]
An unparalleled display of skill and ferocity, the practitioner must first initiate a successful clinch/grab on the opponent. Once they do, the practitioner instantly torques every single muscle in their body, violently rotating and spinning the opponent over their head. The practitioner slams the opponent down into the ground after several rotations, causing the opponent's body to impact the ground so violently that the earth below them craters, and the opponent bounces off of the ground. The practitioner then kicks or knees the opponent in the back, launching the opponent skyward, before the practitioner jumps up and finishes the technique with a violent reverse grip stab through the opponent's heart as they come rocketing back down to the earth with additional force. Opponents must have an Acrobatics technique of equal or higher rank that this technique that explicitly facilitate escape from clinches, locks, or grapples to escape from this technique.

If you need help, please contact a moderator through the Naruto Saigen Discord or private message one of our Moderators on the forum.

Return to “Taijutsu Styles”