Forum Experience Poll

Ace Trainer

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Ace Trainer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:12 am

Heyooo, Global Moderator Onu here.

First of all, sorry for my absence, school, bitches, work, all that shit.

Anyways, I'm trying to make a little more of a presence again, and I have something I'm really trying to push through staff, but I need a few opinions from the memberbase on how I should proceed. So, below is a series of questions. They're largely yes/no or a/b questions, but I'd really appreciate if you expanded on your answers for each one. If you answer b, but have a slightly leaning towards a, please explain why. This is to help me shape my idea so I know what I'm trying to accomplish effectively.

1: Do you believe that older members should, given the work is there, have an advantage over newer members. Meaning, is there an expectation that someone who has been on the forum for 8 years would have more points accessible to them, and thus have an advantage over someone who has been on the forum for 3 years?

2: Do you think PvP roleplay should be something we as a staff should aim to encourage?

3: Is character death a deterrent for you to engage in PvP roleplay?

4: When weighing the consequences of death are you more concerned about loss of character value (point/work placed into the character) or loss character essence (the character itself)

5: Do you believe death is a deterrent for you to engage other players in PvP roleplay, meaning, is the fear of killing ANOTHER players character deterring you?
Mistaki ShioShiimu KozanGekko IndraShoshiki HeiyaHizashi Ikinari
Kirigakure No Sato
Kemurigakure no Sato

Taishou of Iron Country
Kirigakure No Sato
Genin
Experiment 81 v2
Sunagakure No Sato
Genin
The Soul Host
Iwagakure No Sato
Special Jounin
The Tungsten Princess
Sunagakure No Sato
Jounin
The Revolutionary
Past CharactersShow
[Kenketi Tenteki :: Kumogakure No Sato – Special Jounin]
[Setsuya Inka :: Sunagakure No Sato – The Soul Host – Special Jounin]
[Kaikyo Kohon :: Kirigakure No Sato – Jounin]
[Shinwa Basuta no Suihouheki Yasahii :: Kirigakure No Sato – Mizukage :: Spirit of Capricorn, Topenga]
[Futokutei Hitoare :: Konohagakure No Sato – Pestilence (Four Horsemen) – Jounin]
[Aisu Koiji :: Kirigakure No Sato – Jounin]
[Shitagane Sakki :: Kumogakure No Sato – Genin]
[Batsu Betsuni :: Iwagakure No SatoJounin A Rank Missing Ninja]
[Futokutei Yasunari :: Konohagakure No Sato – Genin]
ChatangoShow
HonchkrOnu
ArticOnu
RichardUnknown
RichardGreen
RichardRed
RichardBlack
RichardGold
AlienHostRichardGold
ValidusWrecks
ValidusWreckingBall
NotOnu
ReallyisOnu
NotCdf
SunaOOCOnu
HolyCowMrSmith
GlobalModOnu
AdminOnu
CboxModOnu
SlaptasitcOnu

WrightJustice

Forum Experience Poll

Post by WrightJustice » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:32 am

1. I don't think it should be something inherently aimed for but there might be some things that just can't be helped, though it seems more difficult to balance vs something like a F2P game.
Card games have rotation and lots of bonuses but we can't just make people rotate characters.

2. I think it can be something to encourage in the right way like plots and situations that might end up with it, though just telling people they need to fight is obviously ridiculous.

3. I suppose so.

4. Mostly the loss of the character essence, even ones I don't seem to be using but those I suppose its less because I have lost touch of the character.
Though in that case if I've lost touch of the character its more difficult to given get myself to get in PVP in the first place.
I don't really care one bit about point values, its just stuff I can earn back on a new character if I really wanted and its not like I haven't just been done with old characters in the past when I can't RP them anymore.

5. In a way since I myself fear losing my characters essence so it makes me feel sad and like a bit of a nuisance to kill someone else's.

Obviously its easy if its no kill PVP like Strat promising us he won't kill our genin in a PB with Gene.

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Niro » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:57 am

Ace Trainer:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Anyways, I'm trying to make a little more of a presence again, and I have something I'm really trying to push through staff, but I need a few opinions from the memberbase on how I should proceed. So, below is a series of questions. They're largely yes/no or a/b questions, but I'd really appreciate if you expanded on your answers for each one. If you answer b, but have a slightly leaning towards a, please explain why. This is to help me shape my idea so I know what I'm trying to accomplish effectively.

1: Do you believe that older members should, given the work is there, have an advantage over newer members. Meaning, is there an expectation that someone who has been on the forum for 8 years would have more points accessible to them, and thus have an advantage over someone who has been on the forum for 3 years?

2: Do you think PvP roleplay should be something we as a staff should aim to encourage?

4: When weighing the consequences of death are you more concerned about loss of character value (point/work placed into the character) or loss character essence (the character itself)

5: Do you believe death is a deterrent for you to engage other players in PvP roleplay, meaning, is the fear of killing ANOTHER players character deterring you?
1. Yes.

2. No, personally believe the switch towards more PvP oriented systems gutted the site and has attributed to the current lack of activity.

3. Yes. I don't want mine to die and I don't want to kill other's characters. I want to tell the character's story and see others tell stories, not have them snuffed out.

4. I'd say 40/60

5. Yes, see 3.
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam
Tatsuo [color=#940839][b]IwaTsuchikageTeam 18 Jousai
Kinomichi [color=limegreen][b]IwaBanninJousai
Kotetsu [color=slategray][b]IwaGeninTeam 7
Ashura [color=coral][b]SunaGenin
Sai [color=#FF14A1][b]Kiri - MND-Rank
Yamato [color=#C71585][b]KiriA-Rank

Checkmate

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Checkmate » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 am

Quote:
Not inherently. If someone comes and works really hard like uh... Lacarix? I think? He came and out of nowhere had almost as many points as I did after like 6 years, but it took him a year or something. But I mean with the free points from events you can get into the low hundreds without RPing at all, just by coming back bi-anually for a few years. That being said, those events aren't creating any kind of mind-blowing power players. It's just a little nice bonus to make things easier. Even then, you still need to be able to create a character well if you're going to bring that "advantage" into PvP.

So usually, yes. But there shouldn't be a barrier to keep a obsessed dedicated RPer from climbing to the same level as everyone else.
Quote:
I think it should be equally viable to dedicate yourself to PvP as to ...everything else... So compared to what we/you have now, yes.

EDIT: I just read Niro's post, and it reminded me how frustrating it is to be a primarily non-PvP player, trying to fit my character into a PvP world. So maybe have a way to have things that are "PvP locked" or something, so PvP stays balanced without hindering the fun of the RP and char creation.
Quote:
Kind of. I know this sounds horrible, but I'm pretty confident in my ability to not die in PvP. My problem is more #5. I also built my most recent character specifically to not die if someone attacks me. Then you have people like Gara who just don't/didn't care about a character dying. I definitely don't want my character to die, so I just don't really take risks with her. If I want to do something cool, I do my best (and spend my almost limitless funds) to prepare.
Quote:
Tough one. I'm attached to both. I would definitely play Kayuri even if I had 0 points, but... I'd really rather not lose all those points...
Quote:
Yeah, this is it for me. I don't even like killing well thought out NPCs because I don't like ruining someone's work. The exception is if the NPC is made for me to kill of course. But with characters, (almost) no one makes a character just to die. They hope to survive and win, and I don't want to kill them for OOC reasons. I think the only time I killed characters in real PvP was when three noobs hunted my Kiri MN, and I frankly wanted to show off, so I killed them all. So again, it was for OOC reasons.

Not sure if that helps. If something isn't clear, let me know. I hope this works out.

Yura

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Yura » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:51 pm

This is going to be such a surprise, but....
Niro:
1. Yes.

2. No, personally believe the switch towards more PvP oriented systems gutted the site and has attributed to the current lack of activity.

3. Yes. I don't want mine to die and I don't want to kill other's characters. I want to tell the character's story and see others tell stories, not have them snuffed out.

4. I'd say 40/60

5. Yes, see 3.
This, essentially. Except for maybe #1 because I don't really feel strongly one way or another about it. The selfish part of me (being a member here for nearly 9 years) says yes, but knowing that doing such a thing could discourage new members (whom we desperately need) makes me say no. Then again, rewarding members who have been here longer or who have had characters that have existed for an extended period of time might encourage people to hold onto their characters and develop them rather than just make a throw away one.

To expand on number 2 a little more though, I feel like what made us great as a site was that while PvP was certainly an option, it was never a requirement and the system wasn't solely focused on it. We focused on telling our character's stories from a PvE standpoint because PvE usually brought out quite a bit more development than PvP. While that understandably made some things seem a bit OP, it also allowed for a bit more breathing room and creativity which I think people enjoyed. But when we started to heavily push the notion of PvP and adjust our systems to be so specific to it when it never was, and still isn't, a major part of our site, I feel like people started losing interest. I know I personally did. I have never felt the desire to do PvP on this site unless it was specifically story driven and if it was story driven in the first place, then it was probably already worked out between me and the other player so the concept of making sure it was "fair" wasn't really needed. Honestly, that seems to be the way it is for a lot of people. Outside of tournaments, individual players seem to give a lot of leeway in regards to the rules when fighting other players in a story driven fight because things just flow better. And yet our system essentially locks people into specific restrictive builds on the off chance that you get into a real PvP. When people learn that they can't do something because of something like that it makes them lose interest.

Idk if that makes sense or if that is just me rambling, but yeah. I'll probably end up editing this more when I think it through better.
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
SadakoGeninIwagakureTeam 13[color=#90D2D8]
Enkouten, MitsuoBanninIwagakureTeam 18|Jousai[color=#ff2200]
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Nara, ShikariBanninKonohagakureMamorinuku[color=#fb8a00]
Takara, MorikoGeninIwagakure[color=#ffeb66]
Inji, AyakoC-RankWaterfall[color=#8080ff]

Das Kirb
User flair: .001%

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Das Kirb » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:18 pm

I'm not around much but a little birdy brought this thread to my attention. I figured I'd make my statement and move on, see what happens.

1) Yes and No. Personally, I'm not a fan of seniority rules. If someone has a character they've put a lot of effort into then I do think that character should be rewarded. I dislike elder members getting free benefits though, even being an elder member myself. It's one of the main problems I have with sites like FTG where "seniority rules" is almost a literal rule.

1a) I do understand some characters are super old, and have gone through several iterations and thus are very strong. Characters like Hito, Ginjiro, and Katsu have been around off and on for years. However, those characters have the backing in them that make them powerful. With a stat capped system there's only so far they can go, and that gives younger members some chance of catching up, which they should have.

2) PvP was never a main aspect of the site, even though it was, at one point, the driving force behind the rules. However, I do think PvP does have a place. This goes into a huge tangent I wanna go on but I feel the current PB system as well as the "mission" system removes the point for a lot of the rules. We've got PvE but the players control their environment unless they do something world altering, then its so difficult to get that to go through most don't even try, or give up mid attempt. So for this, I would personally enjoy seeing PvP become a bigger focus on the board. Otherwise, most of the rules become meaningless outside "world sustaining", especially combat rules. Long and short of it, my answer is yes.

2a) I feel I must restate and clarify upon players controlling the world. Currently, we have the option for a story teller to get involved and present missions or scenarios for someone to RP out. However, this creates a situation where there's no inherent danger in any threads outside something like a village invasion. When a story teller isn't around someone really isn't going to RP themselves into a dangerous situation they will likely die in, unless they wish to die. With a story teller, they'll likely have set up situations ahead of time to make their survival nearly 100% assured. So, for this, there's no danger in threads anymore because people are nearly always in control of their situations.

3) I'd be lying if I said no. And I can almost guarantee everyone's answer is the same. That said, I RP mainly because I like to place myself in situations I'd never possibly be in through real life. These include dangerous situations that could result in loss of time/investment. It's a "safe risk" that doesn't put anything but some hours on the line and lets me feel like a bad ass when I overcome something I had no control over to begin with. In table top games I make it a point to enforce my character deaths even if DMs are being nice, and I do the same when I'm DMing. There's supposed to be some risk and reward, otherwise it just comes off as masturbation. So yes, it does deter me to some extent, but what happens will happen and I'll get pissed off then accept it and try again with another one.

4) 20/80 for me. If a character dies its more about the core of that character being gone. Not being able to RP with them and having that investment taken away. I put a little piece of myself in each character I make, on here or not. The "monetary" investment doesn't mean much to me because I feel its a character's story that should earn them that. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't care about losing all that work at all.

5) In a way, yes. I don't want to piss someone off or be an ass to them and just kill their character. However, I also would adore to see the site to see things more openly and not get so pissed if a character did outright die. This is hard because its not so much about hurting a lot of people as it is just not wanting to piss people off and be painted as that one who kills people's fun and drives them away from the board because ya killed their character.

P.S. I would like to see a bit more competitive nature come back into the board. I would adore seeing missions become actually dangerous and having things be scary and threatening again. I personally thrived off that and it was one of the biggest reasons I stuck around as long as I did. I understand that's not for everyone though and some people just want to tell their stories and have a good time. There are arguments to be had on all sides of the fence so I'll truncate the two I can see here and be on my way.

-1) People use Saigen as a means of relaxing and escaping the real world. They don't want to stress out over if their work will be gone because anything could kill them at any moment. They work all day in RL and just want to come to Saigen to relax and write a few stories with some friends. This means stuff like PvP and dangerous PvE are undesired because it threatens that and adds stress to what is supposed to be relaxing.

-2) The rules are there to dictate what is possible, largely in combat and should be put to use. There should be an air of threat to things because it makes more logical sense from a narrative standpoint. Also some people like the competitive side of things because it allows them to be bad asses where they can't be in life, giving an outlet for stress elsewhere.

Neither side, is inherently wrong.

Nick

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Nick » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:28 am

Ace Trainer:

1: Considering we have a stat cap, I wouldn't say it's too much of an advantage. For those of you who play/know of MMOs, I look at it more like starting at level one when your friends are already max level. You can always catch up, especially if you work hard for it, and eventually there's a cap to be reached. More points doesn't necessarily equal more power, because it mostly means more jutsu. High end equipment is always a factor at lategame, but again, not something that can't be overcome, and so I don't see it as a problem.

2: I don't believe PvP needs to be encouraged, as long as it's left as an option. What really needs to be focused on is telling stories with people, because that's ultimately why most of us are here, right? I feel like if we put a stronger emphasis on missions being told by people, and not just people telling their own stories, then we reach a happy medium.

3: Of course. But it should be a deterrent for you to engage in any kind of combat roleplay. I feel strongly that missions should be dangerous as well, anything B-rank or above should have a chance of killing your character, or at least leaving them worse for wear. We've made characters in a world that's supposedly semi-realistic (physics-wise), and to not challenge them with things that are actually dangerous feels like we're really dumbing down the whole system for no particular reason.

4: Generally I'm more concerned about losing the effort I put into the character, more in the value of points/training/etc. While I care about my characters, and the stories I'm building for them, I can always make new stories for new characters, but I can't get the time I spent on them back.

5: Not really. I don't particularly WANT to kill another players character, but if it fits the character I'm playing to kill their character, I'm going to remain in character, and do what feels right for the story, which is what everyone should really be doing.

Short and skinny is that people shouldn't shy away from PvP, we should really allow it as much as players want to do it, but not force it. This isn't babies first roleplay, it's a literate site set in a dangerous universe, and the way we play and make rules should reflect that.
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Davak

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Davak » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:31 am

Answer: Aside from the points that they have earned absolutely not, time spent here = points unless you slack in which case newer members can overtake you. So hardpoint wise there should be no extras. Spending time here gives you other bonuses, the longer a user is on the forum the more he integrates himself in this community and the more he understands how things happen here, thus the louder his voice becomes, that's the bonus that you get for being a long time member.

I think those who want to do pvp are doing it, being one of those people, yes I would appreciate if there were more scenarios to do it, BUT I have seen what pvp can do to a community and thus believe that really only those who want to should do it, no one should be forced.

No

More the points, so you can sum up the last two question by fixing the death points system, you die you get 75% of all your points carried over to your next rpc, but that's just my opinion it's not based on anything.

Heck no

TyDie

Forum Experience Poll

Post by TyDie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:00 pm

1: I think that's the nature of most things to be honest. The guy with 10 years work experience is going to be better off and more knowledgeable than the guy who has 2 years experience in most cases. It's not a good or a bad thing, it just -is-, and it's not something I think should be worried about too much because in the end there are caps and things to keep the oldies from getting too out of hand.

2: Encourage? No. Enable? Yes. PvP is part of the world, but it bothers me that our system caters to it. Almost everything we do caters to the notion of "PvP Balance" when hardly anyone wants to do PvP for the sole purpose of PvP. If people want PvP, 9 out of 10 times they go to PvP based games like CS:GO or League of Legends. Inevitably, PvP is going to happen, but rather than all these strict rules and regulations surrounding it can we just be adults and fight responsibly, or call in a mod to oversee and make calls as needed? Can we have it that certain threads just don't allow for death, so we can have those one sided fights without the whole "You gon' die" thing at the end? Just some idle thoughts.

3: Not a deterrent but not what i'm here for. If it makes sense then yes i'll participate, but I'm not going to go out of my way to look for a fight. In fact i'd say I look for reasons -not- to fight, for the sake of #5.

4: Moreso character essence than value, although ideally I'd lose neither. I can always make another missing ninja, but i'll never be able to make another Kenji, and he's by far my favorite character. To this day I regret scooping my old SSM leader, because I realized too late how much I enjoyed his essence and I desperately want to go back and redo all that (In fact I RP Ryoga on a private board with kat from time to time) TL;DR I like both, but if I had to choose I would want to keep the essence over the value.

5: 100% yes. The main reason I don't want to PvP is because I don't want to snuff out someone else's work. I put days upon weeks upon months into making my characters what they are, and I for one feel terrible to undo the months of work someone else put into their character. In my case, if I have to die so be it, I lost the fight, but my #1 gripe is the thought of my character just being a notch on someone's belt. A character's kill count is inflated by all the NPCs they kill, but a PC vs PC fight should be deep and meaningful. You shouldn't kill the guy just because you can, you should kill them because they killed your friend, or they put your wife into a coma, or they corrupted your brother and turned them against you. It should be the climax of a huge plotpoint for your character's story, not some filler bullshit.
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Cylan

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Cylan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:03 am

Okay I know I come around like once every 6 months but this is something I actually feel strongly about.
Quote:
I think Gunshanks and Check said this best. If someone shows up and is dedicated, they're going to catch up. There's a cap that everyone can see and reach. They can probably earn enough points for jutsu and whatever else they want through roleplaying and lonelies. The only real 'advantage' that old members have are copyrights through things like the Genma, and the time they've had to come up with cool, unique ideas for abilities. A new person could still come on here and have a fresh new idea no one has thought of and end up an endgame badass if they stick with it.
Quote:
Yes. I feel like characters shine when the storyline they're involved in could go poorly or greatly based on someone else's involvement. I'm not saying every thread should be a fight thread, far from it. It's just fun to have conflict with real villains trying to fight tooth and nail to live just like you are. You'll never get the same passion and ingenuity when someone is fighting a NPC.
Quote:
No. I know I pop in like...once every six months, but I think about coming back and revamping Enma probably every few weeks. I don't even want to do anything with him, I just want him in the new system so he could be hunted. If some endgame character wanted to hunt me and take me down, I'd have no problem doing it. I'd have no problem losing as long as it was a good fight. People die. It sucks, but it happens.
Quote:
Once upon a time, I'd have cared a lot more about the time I invested in Enma. That time is long gone either way. I'd be sad that the option for me to pop in and play him would be gone entirely, but I'd get over it.
Quote:
When Yaku and I did the Konoha invasion, we stated we would not kill any character whose owner did not wish for them to die with the exception of people trying to kill our characters. We stuck to that, and if we ever came back and did another invasion, we'd do the same. I know people get invested in their characters. That said, if two equally matched people, one a mn and one a vn, are in a battle and one of them wins while going for a kill shot, I have no sympathy if the loser whines. Unless the staff has changed the rule (to be fair they probably have, but it was/is a good rule), missing-nin are always death enabled. For a MN to try and weasel out of that or for a VN to try to avoid that is lame when they both knew what they were getting into.
S-Rank Missing NinKonohagakure's Most Wanted • Missions: S:1 A:3 B:7 C:0 D:0
| Nin: 9 | Tai: 8 | Gen: 10 | Sta: 15 | Con: 15 | Str: 11 | Spe: 10 | Wit: 11 |

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Taiga » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:12 am

Cylan:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:03 am
Okay I know I come around like once every 6 months but this is something I actually feel strongly about.
Quote:
I think Gunshanks and Check said this best. If someone shows up and is dedicated, they're going to catch up. There's a cap that everyone can see and reach. They can probably earn enough points for jutsu and whatever else they want through roleplaying and lonelies. The only real 'advantage' that old members have are copyrights through things like the Genma, and the time they've had to come up with cool, unique ideas for abilities. A new person could still come on here and have a fresh new idea no one has thought of and end up an endgame badass if they stick with it.
Quote:
Yes. I feel like characters shine when the storyline they're involved in could go poorly or greatly based on someone else's involvement. I'm not saying every thread should be a fight thread, far from it. It's just fun to have conflict with real villains trying to fight tooth and nail to live just like you are. You'll never get the same passion and ingenuity when someone is fighting a NPC.
Quote:
No. I know I pop in like...once every six months, but I think about coming back and revamping Enma probably every few weeks. I don't even want to do anything with him, I just want him in the new system so he could be hunted. If some endgame character wanted to hunt me and take me down, I'd have no problem doing it. I'd have no problem losing as long as it was a good fight. People die. It sucks, but it happens.
Quote:
Once upon a time, I'd have cared a lot more about the time I invested in Enma. That time is long gone either way. I'd be sad that the option for me to pop in and play him would be gone entirely, but I'd get over it.
Quote:
When Yaku and I did the Konoha invasion, we stated we would not kill any character whose owner did not wish for them to die with the exception of people trying to kill our characters. We stuck to that, and if we ever came back and did another invasion, we'd do the same. I know people get invested in their characters. That said, if two equally matched people, one a mn and one a vn, are in a battle and one of them wins while going for a kill shot, I have no sympathy if the loser whines. Unless the staff has changed the rule (to be fair they probably have, but it was/is a good rule), missing-nin are always death enabled. For a MN to try and weasel out of that or for a VN to try to avoid that is lame when they both knew what they were getting into.
I echo most of Cylan's sentiments.

Legacy
User flair: Conflict begets Growth

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Legacy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:19 am

Ace Trainer:

1: I believe that points typically are reflective of the users ability to both complete point redeeming topics/threads and save their earnings. Whether or not someone has been here longer wouldn't affect anything otherwise.

2: Okay, so I'll be honest; Player versus Player scenarios are really only valued by people who enjoy that avenue of writing. I personally would like to encourage more people to get involved and push themselves through PVP but I understand that not everyone wants to deal with that kind of pressure.

3: Character death is actually the best part about PVP in so many ways. It creates depth to a user character's history and ultimately puts two people against each other with smart writing. No, this isn't a deterrent.

4: It would have to be the character itself. After all, nobody WANTS to die initially it just kinda happens. If my character is killed that just means that I have to hit the drawing board and learn from my mistakes so it won't happen again. That's just the Combat Writer way.

5: No.
ACTIVE CHARACTERShow

Jules

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Jules » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 am

Going to give short anwsers here to keep it nice and simple, for full thoughts feel free to talk to me :)

1. Fuck no, I couldn't be more against this idea.

2. I can't stress this enough, YES! Don't force it upon people that don't want it, but give more options and incentives for the people that do want it!

3. Somewhat, depends on the circumstances. No one likes being one-shot anticlimactically.

4. The thing I'm most concerned of is if the death is a satisfying ending to the character. Again, no one likes anticlimactic deaths, especially after putting in so much effort into said character.

5. I've never really worried about it. If someone knows of the consequences and chooses to engage you in (lethal) combat, they've already accepted the possibility of death, and shouldn't complain if/when they do die. Atleast, that's how I see it.
Characters
Yamanaka, InoshiroKonohagakureGenin|Nin 10|Tai 3|Gen 5|Stam 5|Con 10|Str 5|Spd 5|Int 10|Team 21

Jack_Spaden

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Jack_Spaden » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:50 pm

1: No, that's silly. It creates a barrier between older members and newer members. If I saw that while clicking through to look for an RP site I'd just keep moving as soon as I saw that and never give this place a second thought.

2: I think it should be a viable option, there are entire RP sites where PVP is the tension. It gets people to roleplay with eachother and takes a load off the shoulders of the staff. I would suggest a couple of tools to go along with it that I've seen put into action, but more on that later.

3: If there is nothing on the line then what is the point? Like, if people are sparring then I get it, no death but if you are facing down a missing nin then you SHOULD have something on the line or it is pointless and I would personally lose interest in posting. Not to mention my character would act cocky as all get out lol.

4: Neither. This is a game. It bears no more significance to me than dying in Dungeons and Dragons. Deaths can be epic and are a part of the story.

5: No, I've killed several characters in my day. Mostly from bleach roleplay. Often by playing as someone's inner hollow. I took pride in my ability to be a tough fighter once upon a time. If the story leads us to a fight to the death I have no hesitation in acting accordingly if my character would kill.
Characters
CharacterVillageAgeRank
Ikkon FiKonoha15Genin
Shihoen KaenLand of Tea26C Rank Minor Country

Golnax

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Golnax » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 am

1. No. If you're an older member who's been here longer and put in the work, you're going to have an advantage with a stronger, more developed character anyways, so why exactly would we reward someone with more points for just sticking around? (OK, I know that sounds a bit bad but still. Favoritism towards veterans JUST for being veterans is a no go in my books.)

2. Yas, queen! Sa-LAY! Yes staff should encourage PVP more, 'cause that's where a lot of the fun, interest, intrigue and dramatic stakes for characters and players alike! Even if character death is a possibility, it shouldn't be something that happens in EVERY PVP encounter, and that's what's important to emphasize when encouraging these types of encounters.

3. Why yes. Yes it is. At the same time though, I've made my character in such a way that character death is as minimal of a risk as possible, so at this point... not especially?

4. Loss of character. Here on Saigen, the characters you make are unique and there are very few if any ways to bring a character back from death. The unique jutsu they have, the events that have taken place, the character interactions - all lost to you, the player, upon death of your character. (Well, I suppose the jutsu themselves aren't since you're the one who made them and I guess you could use them how you chose on a different character? I digress a lil bit.) For a player like me who puts all of their time, effort and creative energy into a singular character, the death of said character would be devastating.

5. Nah, not really. 'Cause see, I'm a holder of a very peculiar belief apparently - and you guys are totally not gonna believe it, come closer! I believe that, wait for it...

... you should try to go all out, balls to the wall, death or nothing in every single fight you have! I know! Fuckin' shocking, right? That me, who has a jounin character, would actively CHOOSE to hold back against a genin, chunin, special jounin, or even another jounin character! And what's more, would expect the same level of restraint from the opposing character until such a time that going full on Super Saiyan is warranted! It's strange, I know, but when on the rare occasions that I happen to find myself in PVP combat, I don't actively try to kill off the other character. There's other ways to achieve victory in a fight beyond the death of your opponent, ya know.

Fake

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Fake » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:28 pm

1. No, I think that creates a negative atmosphere where new players aren't encouraged to play because everyone around them is seemingly so much more better right off of the bat. Granted, not everyone would be given these bonuses but in reality we know that the most active players on the site are the people who have been around the longest. It sets a poor precedent.

2. Yeah, but at the same time it's not something that's easily done given regardless of how many systems there are it comes down to how much people think they're right--and on a site like this that's just about everybody. People aren't willing to give when it comes to those kinds of things.

3. Sometimes, but only because there's no real incentive to killing other people. The two options are put forth: you lose your character or forever, or you make someone else do it. There's not much of a rewarding aspect to that at all.

4. I think I can speak for a lot of people and say both; our characters have real time and real effort put into them most of the time.

5. Not really, but it can get really annoying OOC.
NameVillageRankOrganizationTest★ YATO ★KonohaA-RankThe God HandTest★ AYATO ★Knowledge CountryC-RankKobushi KaishuuTest

zippo
User flair: Mr. Smooth

Forum Experience Poll

Post by zippo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:05 am

1. Devotion should be the answer. The more a person is able to figure out strategies [like Jinzo or Zippo] within the rules, the better odds they can combat against even an S-Ranked ninja with years of development. The RPer should never be grandfathered into the equation, but be valued based on capability/decision making skills. If you're good at strategy at creation and/or during character progression, you have no need to worry about who has more points.

However, points don't necessarily have to exist and have a good PVP system . But since we do here, it is natural for someone who's more active to have more points. So it is, essentially, an inevitable circumstance.

But if we experience a perception of favoritism, because they've been here longer and be rewarded, there's, obviously, social-repercussions, which is something many RPs have faced in the past.

2. PVP should be encouraged. You already know me: I seek the challenge. I don't mind losing a character if it means to push the grand-story along since i have no problem making new characters. Or even characters solely to push a larger plot, make them stronger and then killing them off for a realistic reason.

If anything, if most people aren't into such risk, PVP is still plausible if there are events suited to change the world but allow characters the 'probable-situation' of a chance to survive/escape from an opposition but consider it a loss [negative points], and not see their objective/victory come to light.

For example, in a RP I was in I accepted almost dying and waking up to seeing Konoha being apprehended and later governed by Kumogakure [should they rebel later, they still have to win the points]. Fun/sensational/risky vibes and totally different atmosphere than the normal experience in an RP. But having such a loss was well worth it to give some 'story-meat' to my character's storyline post-profile creation and emotional investment for their survival.

3. Haha. No. Jinzo and his org are a test at how risky I can get with him in this world, tbh.

4. Character loss based on who they are can actually breed new characters with more meat into their story pre-profile creation + emotional attachment. For example: Konohamaru's timeline, Jiraya's timeline, or any well designed timeline if there were storylines made after profile creation.

Or A character I created long ago dies last week in PVP. I then create a new character this week who was just his brother in his bio. The brother now has a drive to hate [x]-village for taking away the only brother he had. Mix some PVP into the frying pan, and you got yourself a personal mission against a particular character [as I did with Zippo and Yaksha kind of].

From experience, having a reward for the time spent with the character after they're lost can be a huge incentive to think less about losing the character and more about exploring the depths behind storytelling. From my experience here, it's a closed box in comparison to what we can really do as a community of... storytellers.

5. I don't seek to harm, of course. If the person engages in combat, there should be expectations based on the personality of who they're dealing with. I was never a fan of what mods/chat members did to force/influence sia and suzu's thread, for example. IIRC, it was in character for her to act like that.

Blueper

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Blueper » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:48 am

I'd assume that they have an advantage already, since they know the systems and the changes to the systems, as well as have more developed characters, so I don't think they should be treated differently from newer members. One of the reasons I came to this site was because nothing was "locked off" from me as a newer member, and there was a lot of freedom to create what I wanted.

To me, it really depends on what "encourage" means. If you mean "make available and easier to pursue, should you choose to do so", I whole-heartedly support that, but if you mean "PvP is the best way to RP on this sight and PvE is dying off"... well, the sheer levels of desire to win I've witnessed in PvP roleplay on other sites have really put me off PvP, let's put it that way.

Yeah. For one, I tend to put a lot of effort into my characters (not that other people don't) but I'd like to get some use out of them before killing them off, you know? Of course, after that it turns into "well I already put so much work into them so why would I ever want to kill them off" and I just tend to avoid PvP situations in which my character's lives are risked. I'm cool if I've planned out what's going to happen with the other writer; for example, I'm always down for losses that will advance the personality development of my character, but death is just... no thanks.

Uh.....I guess loss of character value? I always have so many ideas for characters that I could probably create another one just as easily, even if it has the same original idea as the dead character that I could just take in another direction.

Personally I generally make it a point to plan out what will happen in a plot before I actually begin, so if I did end up killing someone's character it would be with their full permission.
Where the bloopers go
CharactersShow
Akari, Kayo*
Tsukino, Daiyu*
Hayakazu, Guren
Okumura, Mafuyu
Henrin, Anzu*
Yuusha, Arie
Ishiguro, Rinko

*Inactive

Jeff

Forum Experience Poll

Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:42 pm

Ace Trainer:

1. I mean if they worked for it they deserve to have it right?

2. Yes, people need to die and stop being sissys.

3. Naw, people die it happens.

4. Value, definitely.

5. Naw, we fight, then we fight.
CharactersShow
Aburame, AkkiVillage: Konohagakure no SatoRank: GeninThread: Insects Guide Me Genkouyoushi, KoutaishiVillage: Iwagakure no SatoRank: C-RankThread: Paper Guide the Way Ouji, TatsumiVillage: Sunagakure no SatoRank: D-RankThread: Artist's Move Yuusha, JuzoVillage: Kirigakure no SatoRank: D-RankThread: The Stranger Things

Return to “Announcements and Information”