78%
Other (please specify below) Edit
6%

Total votes: 18

Valkier

Chatango or Discord?

Post by Valkier » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:21 am

Mornin' chaps,

Since we first set up a Discord channel for Saigen there's been demand for an embedded version to replace the Chatango cbox. The 'official' discord embed isn't any use to display chat and never will be (because of Discord's policies @ iframe embedding), but there are third-party options to do so. You can see an example here where I've thrown together a test Discord embed to try out. But there's always been some strong opinions about any change to the cbox, so instead of deciding internally with staff I thought I'd just put it to a poll.

In relation to the Tapatalk migration - as far as we know, either option should still work (they're added to the forum in the same manner, and that method should still be available on the new forum). We won't 100% know if embeds will work on the new forum - but if one option works, the other one should too.

Edit: For those unaware, the Saigen Discord can be connected to via https://discordapp.com/invite/jbtGTXU.

Should we update from chatango to discord for good?
Chatango cbox:

Pros:
  • Appeals to some users who have grown accustomed it over long years of use
  • Tried & tested - might be slightly more reliable
Cons:
  • Old and clunky. Smells faintly of the 2000's.
  • Is far less active than our Discord, which makes the site look much less active too. Bad impression for potential new members!
  • Splits the chat between two unrelated locations
  • Physically nauseating to use on mobile to the extent that it makes mobile browsing of the forum itself annoying
Discord embed:

Pros:
  • Links to the existing Discord channel, unifying chat all to the same place
  • Supports things like multiple channels. nicknames, etc.
Cons:
  • Is a beta service that relies on an external server. I've seen it go down once or twice for a couple of hours (through the several months I've had a test box set up). I wouldn't say it's unreliable at all - but perhaps slightly less so than Chatango. But even Chatango goes down occasionally.
  • Technically requires people to login to post - but you can log in as a guest, just like Chatango. Possible benefit of filtering out spam (not that we have many issues with that).

Vote now or reply below with your thoughts please!
CharactersShow
Aisu NaohiroJouninKirigakure no Sato[Unit 12] [HHD] [#BAE0E2] [#70CEE2]
Hachiya KotoriGeninIwagakure no Sato[Ukiyogenma Jinchuuriki] [H.N.K.][Gold] [#BF8040][Thread Tracker]

WrightJustice

Chatango or Discord?

Post by WrightJustice » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:43 am

New can seem scary but most new players already come on and are mega surprised we use chatango and discord is very good.
Heck logging in and server dying happens on chatango too already so I dunno if those are proper cons for discord.

Seeing how the embed works makes me want to change to discord chat.

Nick

Chatango or Discord?

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:48 am

Lmao, 7 votes in and nobody cares about chatango.
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Texas

Chatango or Discord?

Post by Texas » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:40 am

Truthfully it doesn't matter to me. I like having a chat at the bottom, couldn't care less if its chatango or discord. Obviously discord is better, but the chat on the bottom regardless of platform doesn't affect me really.
Characters
NameVillageRank
Hatake, TenzinKonohagakure no SatoBanin - [color=#BF0000]Text Color[/color]
Ishiguro, AkihikoKumogakure no SatoChuunin - [color=#FF4080]Text Color[/color]
Kisama, GinjiroHeart EmpireNatsubushi - [color=#80BF80]Text Color[/color]
Test Thread

Director
Hokage
Hokage
User flair: If you read this, you're gay.

Chatango or Discord?

Post by Director » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:39 am

I voted for ChatNGo purely as a pity move. Someone’s gotta show it some love. I think the answer is clear, so we will be moving to a discord embed.
Character: Awai, Fanho | Rank: Hokage | Village: Konoha | Color Code: [b][color=#682860]
Character: Konshi, Yuichi | Rank: Jounin | Village: Kumogakure | Color Code: [b][color=#0051BA]

Nick

Chatango or Discord?

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:49 am

Can we just get a shoutbox instead
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Fake

Chatango or Discord?

Post by Fake » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:25 am

chatango smells like old coleslaw get that shit outta here
NameVillageRankOrganizationTest★ YATO ★KonohaA-RankThe God HandTest★ AYATO ★Knowledge CountryC-RankKobushi KaishuuTest

Return to “Announcements and Information”