Let's Talk Watchdogs For A Second

Golnax

Post by Golnax » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:18 am

There's a very specific watchdog I want to talk about with you guys, and it's a bitch of a dog that you guys should all be familiar with. Specifically, those of you who I have threads currently active with and are waiting on me to post, which I think is just about everyone I am in a thread with at this point.

The name of this watchdog is DPC. DPC has been acting out as of late, causing all sorts of violations on my computer. It's been happening for days now, and the effects have been noted for weeks even! Lemme tell you what DPC is doing to my computer.

It's causing total system crashes. Regularly. Without reason or cause. Some of you might not be familiar what the sound of a watchdog sinking it's teeth into your software sounds like, but it's a rather loud buzzing sound. This buzzing sound is the sound of a total system failure as your computer is fucking dying in the jaws of a bit of erroneous code. It makes it so that your entire computer freezes up and tries to correct itself, and that action of trying to correct it self makes it so that it just repeats the last sound that your computer made over and over and over again, kind of like a scream for help!

When your computer can't shake itself out of the jaws of DPC, it shuts itself down and restarts, telling you that there was an error and making sure to tell you the name of that error; DPC Watchdog Violation. It gives you a nifty little URL that you can go to in order to try and solve your issue as well, a Windows URL that has a very small list of suggestions for things you can do to try and stop this from happening.

Did all that. Then I went to google, tried to look for the answer there.

Found a few programs that advertised they were the solution to the problem, but really they were just like those antivirus programs that you can try and download when you think there's something wrong with your PC. You know the ones. The free to download kind that only give you so many features and no actual fixes for your problem, the kind where you have to throw money at it in order for the full thing to become available so you can actually get the viruses, or in this case a watchdog, off of your computer and function normally again.

So no solutions there. So then I went to youtube and followed maybe 8 different tutorials that had solutions on how to fix it apparently, some having the same answers some different. Some telling me to update my drivers, to change this thing around or that. Turn this off, stop this from going on at start up. One suggested that I stop using my mouse 'cause that might be the issue. Did all that.

The watchdog still persisted. So then I turned to a friend of mine, who fixes computers for a living. Asked them for a bit of their techie wizardry. They took over my computer remotely so that they could work their magic, and they pulled up all sorts of system files and even gave me their .sys file to replace the one I had, just in case it was that which was causing all of this fuss, in case my .sys was where the watchdog was sleeping at.

So after all that, after the programs and the meticulous updating of drivers and the starting in safe mode to turn off or uninstall unnecessary programs and the messing around with system32 and the remote assistance from a professional whose job it is to sort these sorts of things, I thought perhaps maybe, maybe, after about a week of dealing with numerous crashes for seemingly no real reason, sometimes coming after hours, sometimes 10 minutes since the last crash, MAYBE I'd gotten it all sorted when I managed to get through 2 episodes of Game of Thrones without a crash.

Then rewind back to 20 minutes ago, when the watchdog struck again and I was once again met with a blue screen of death - yeah, now there's a phrase you guys probably forgot existed. Lemme show you what it looks like now a days in 2017.

Couldn't be bothered to find one in English quickly enough. Deal with an Hispanic Watchdog or something, idk.

Basically here's the bottom line. As long as this keeps happening, fucking nothing I do is safe. Not a god damned thing. I can't watch youtube reliably or stream a show, I can't play games, I can't post, I can't write anything because the second I do I risk the possibility that this fucking error is going to rear it's ugly head and crash my computer and I'll lose all the progress I had in my game, in my writing, in my youtube video or the episode I'm streaming or anything else I might do, because this watchdog strikes at random times, out of nowhere, with no warning before hand. It just sneaks out of it's burrow somewhere, jumps out and sinks it's teeth in until the computer goes blue and dies. I'm plagued with the computer equivalent of the Hound of Baskerville!

And I don't know what else to do. Short of calling some sort of professional to take my computer and fix it, which I don't fucking have the money for, I have no idea what to do.

So to all of those who have threads waiting on me to post, sorry, but until this gets sorted, which I have no idea when or how that's going to happen, they're unfortunately on hold. Maybe it'll sort itself out when Windows 10 decides to update itself for the fucking billionth time, or maybe it won't sort itself out, and I'll just have to accept the risk of losing whatever I'm posting in or writing on and just keep calm and carry on as if nothing has happened, meanwhile for all I know my computer could be facing a slow agonizing death from a fucking erroneous dog and I have no idea how to fix it beyond all of the ways I've already tried!!!

So yeah. Consider this a notice to all those in threads with me at the moment. Sorry but not really sorry, I didn't ask for this. You've been informed. There's a hound on the lose on my PC and it's pissing me off to no end.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:05 am

Watchdogs was a pretty fun game, but it had its faults.
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

WrightJustice

Post by WrightJustice » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:07 am

Fuck! We where just talking about possibly doing my form 1 unlock too!
I suppose I can think of a different way to do it.

Kao

Post by Kao » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:33 am

I didn't even read past the first two lines bc this is way too long, so I just scrolled. But I just wanna let you know that the image isn't "Hispanic," it's in Italian. Quite different.
Kao's CharactersShow
Akari KotaruBanninIwagakure no Sato Team 18 Jousai [color=#1fb8a3]
Komiya ShizuoJounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#209DD3]
Yanagida Yukino Special Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#a07ac2]
Ishiwara SetsunaChuunin Iwagakure no Sato[color=#E81D1D]
Enkouten Mai Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#CE5412]
Aisu Namie Chuunin Kirigakure no Sato [color=#5bc2d4]
Awai FusaeA-Rank MNKonohagakure no Sato[color=#D95FEA]
Important NPCsShow
Akari Kanehara Akari clan elder [color=#80A0FF]
Sakata KannaIwagakure Councilwoman [color=#3DA43B]
Hazuki Shuran Jinchuuriki researcher [color=#E854C0]