#GunshanksForOverlordAdmin

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:44 am

Hi guys, it's that time of year again.

Let me offer the TL;DR right off the bat: The site is dying quicker than ever. This isn't just the normal slowdowns we experience with people leaving to be with their families more, or school, or anything else, it's a serious slowdown sitewide that I don't think I've ever seen since I first came to the site way back when. Our current admins are busy with their real lives, which is understandable, but they're too busy to be of assistance to the site and fill in the position. I'm offering to step up and do it instead.

Now for the long version.

I'd like to state right off the bat I don't blame anyone directly for the problems the site is going through, it's a long list of problems that have sprung up through the years and been mounting on top of one another, our current leadership being unavailable is just the tip of the iceberg in the grand scheme of things. Active member counts are way down, and even old members who seemed like they'd be here forever are fading off and losing interest because there's not much going on for the site. Our monthly events (which have previously done a great job of picking up activity for members, as well as offering plenty of rewards) have slowed down and been run inconsistently, as evident through the Fur Country event (which was a momentous undertaking the site wasn't ready for anyway, but that's another story.)

Chuck would make a wonderful admin except for two things: He has a hard time seeing things from others' perspectives, and perhaps more importantly, he's too busy to fill in the position. Director is, while smart, inexperienced and has difficulty communicating his thoughts, as well as having problems with making decisions on the drop of a dime, rather than thinking them through and discussing them rationally. While I'd love to have them both on as moderators to offer their thoughts and work with them as a team, I don't feel either of them is right to lead.

I may be busy with my work weeks, but I always make time to pop on and check the site, and when I was a moderator, I don't think anyone could say I was slow to check apps, offer my opinions on site issues/rules, or say that I was unhelpful/unkind to members. I may be a bit of an asshole sometimes, but I'm an asshole who cares (probably too much) about the state of Saigen and the members in it. I can't promise I'll be the best admin in the entire world, all I can promise is that I'll do my best to bring the site back to some semblance of activity, and keep an open mind and open ear for my fellow members.

So yeah. Tell me what you think and whatnot. Open for discussion and stuff.
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Ace Trainer

Post by Ace Trainer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:11 am

No. Literally every time I’ve trusted you with a big project, you get yourself in grain in major parts of it, and then disappear out of no where. I would never trust you to be in charge of the forum.
Mistaki ShioShiimu KozanGekko IndraShoshiki HeiyaHizashi Ikinari
Kirigakure No Sato
Kemurigakure no Sato

Taishou of Iron Country
Kirigakure No Sato
Genin
Experiment 81 v2
Sunagakure No Sato
Genin
The Soul Host
Iwagakure No Sato
Special Jounin
The Tungsten Princess
Sunagakure No Sato
Jounin
The Revolutionary
Past CharactersShow
[Kenketi Tenteki :: Kumogakure No Sato – Special Jounin]
[Setsuya Inka :: Sunagakure No Sato – The Soul Host – Special Jounin]
[Kaikyo Kohon :: Kirigakure No Sato – Jounin]
[Shinwa Basuta no Suihouheki Yasahii :: Kirigakure No Sato – Mizukage :: Spirit of Capricorn, Topenga]
[Futokutei Hitoare :: Konohagakure No Sato – Pestilence (Four Horsemen) – Jounin]
[Aisu Koiji :: Kirigakure No Sato – Jounin]
[Shitagane Sakki :: Kumogakure No Sato – Genin]
[Batsu Betsuni :: Iwagakure No SatoJounin A Rank Missing Ninja]
[Futokutei Yasunari :: Konohagakure No Sato – Genin]
ChatangoShow
HonchkrOnu
ArticOnu
RichardUnknown
RichardGreen
RichardRed
RichardBlack
RichardGold
AlienHostRichardGold
ValidusWrecks
ValidusWreckingBall
NotOnu
ReallyisOnu
NotCdf
SunaOOCOnu
HolyCowMrSmith
GlobalModOnu
AdminOnu
CboxModOnu
SlaptasitcOnu

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:15 am

That's a bit unfair, especially considering you trusted Director and Fluffy with the big project of the forum and they both disappeared.
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Checkmate

Post by Checkmate » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:13 pm

+1

I think we should have terms for admins. Not that the same person couldn't stay on, but that there would be a rotation of sorts. Give him a shot. He's a troll in the box, but so is Onu (maybe not anymore, I have no idea). Give Gun a chance to run something with assistance, then let him step down when that project is over. And have someone involved from the start who can run interference for him in case something comes up (like it does and has for literally every admin ever). Just don't make it like Brent's playhouse where he left and no one had a clue what he was doing.

Das Kirb
User flair: .001%

Post by Das Kirb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 pm

I was asked my thoughts on this by someone and gave them privately. Now that I've been pointed to the thread, I'll say them publicly.

1) My experience with you has been limited, but mostly negative. I've seen you relentlessly troll people in box, granted some time ago. I've also never seen you be truly serious and help someone which is something a mod, and especially an admin, should do.

2) With the exception of this last stint you've had the same issues we've all had with activity dips.

3) I don't think you truly understand why the site is dying and are kinda scapegoating the problem with inactive staff. I'll elaborate below.

My personal say which doesn't matter because I'm inactive and don't have any investment in the site or clout among the current member base - I largely think you'd get the position and do well for a little while then get tired/burnt/or otherwise frustrated and end up repeating the pattern that others have done. Its also possible you'd just start trolling people and creating a closed group of friends, creating a biased board all around.

Elaboration - My thoughts on why the site is dying is less pointing the fingers at any individual and more pointing at its history combined with the era we're in as people and RPers. The site's world base (Naruto) is finished and gone and Borotu doesn't have the same popularity or drawing power that it had. Also, the majority of us are in our 20s and 30s with jobs, school, kids, and other responsibilities to take care of. It seems to me the site is "dying" because the world we live in doesn't allow us the time/energy needed to dedicate to something like this.

I'd go on, but I've said the jist of my piece.

Return to “Introductions & Departures”