Zangy's MtG Sets: Kaer Maga

Zangy

Post by Zangy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:44 pm

This set was a way to get a group of players ready for a Pathfinder game set in the city of Kaer Maga. Most of the players knew how to play magic and in order to get them used to a bunch of the terms, names, and so on that covered the city, I decided that a Magic set would be a good way to introduce the two. The way they played was blind sealed, where each player was given 6 boosters of the set (printed out and sleeved up) and played a normal sealed tournament. This worked very well and all the players enjoyed it immensely. As a note, this set was also done about a year or so ago, so some new cards might have invalidated some or some might be a bit too pushed.

Story

Since this isn't a normal set, the story portion doesn't quite work out. The setting is there, but the players were meant to be the main plot of everything, which makes it as a set lacking an overarching story or anything of that sort. However, I hope that the setting shines through the cards.

Mechanics

Clash -- Clash was an easy fit into the set for a few reasons. I wanted a lot of the cards to be 'seen' by the players in order to further the knowledge that was gained from each and every card. Clash provided a way for players to constantly be looking at different cards, while also smoothing out draws. Additionally, it represented the amount of discussion and headbutting that occurred in the city. Clash is in every color.

Infiltrate -- (This creature can’t be blocked by untapped creatures. Tapped creatures may block it.) -- This mechanic was designed to show how much of an underbelly the city has. It represents the rogues that are able to sneak past those who are trying to stay watchful, and instead out actually working under the city. It also played very well in playtesting, since it kept people from just playing defensively and forcing attacks. Infiltrate is in black and blue.

Assemble - (To assemble a contraption, put a colorless Contraption artifact token named Contraption onto the battlefield.) - This will probably get a bit of flak, but assemble was loved by a lot of the players. It isn't a perfect fit for Steamflogger Boss, but I felt that the idea was much better to play with. It is a key fit for the Ardoc family, who are golem crafters and work with a lot of different types of artifice. Assemble (and contraptions) are in blue and red.

Notes

Compared to a normal set, there are a LOT of legendary creatures. This is mainly for the fact that I wanted all of the notable figures in the city to be represented with cards, along with any important figures that I made up for the campaign. Additionally, some cards seem 'off' as their base, if you know bout the setting, but make sense once the game would continue on. Also, white zombies are a thing here. This was a conscious decision from the start to reinforce the idea that, in Ankar Te, zombies are not evil and actually seen as a completely neutral act. By making the B/W 'draft archetype' Zombies, I wanted to put into everyone's mind that zombies, in Kaer Maga, were not evil. Maybe the decision was a bit forceful, but seeing the players interact with the first white zombie was a blast.

Cards

White
Blue
Black
Red
Green
Multicolor
Artifacts/Lands
CodingsShow
Oohazure: [color=#AFAD00][b]""[/b][/color]
Yumegokochi: [center][color=#79CDCD][font=Georgia][big][[sub][/sub]][/big][/font][/color][/center]
Okuure Daisuke: [b][color=#BA7CBC]""[/color][/b]
Kouseki Kazouchi: [b][color=#007D4F]""[/color][/b]

Sia
User flair: I am made to protect and destroy.

Post by Sia » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:46 pm

A Compilation of Things to Keep in Mind on NSRPShow
Onu:
And then he tried to bang me and I asked if we could just cuddle so he knows I’m still upset about it
Kao:
Do you have one of him looking at daddy angrily
Kao:
boo fucking hoo
Onu:
validusrex#1137 — Today at 12:28 AM
25% American is still 100% FREE BABY LETS FUCKING GO
This Delightful Exchange:
Sinpoder: Where can I find a mentor?
Sinpoder: or is that Sia?
Nick: Sia is more of a palpatine than a mentor
Valkier:
Sia's the opposite, they know the system better than any of us but then ignores it to try do/allow whatever regardless 😛
Hayate:
Your intention doesn't matter if your action creates pain
Validusrex, Size of 15 Ryo Puppet Boat:
Half a kayak, large enough to fit one person bent-over or crossed-legged.
Siatupid:
There is peace in being trash.
Wright:
calling people pussies, bitches or whatever and threatening to hurt people makes you very much less than a man and much like a young boy
Onu:
You intentionally handicapping yourself is not a reason to change the system.
Onu:
It is not the mods job to build ideas for you, its our job to make them systematically acceptable. If there is a core concept to it that isn't acceptable, there is nothing any mod can say that will magically make it work.
Onu:
"Over half of the questions asked in the box can be answered by reading the rules."
Sia:
"Everything is banned until balanced."
Kabuto:
"Tourneys bring out the worst in people."
Tydie:
And part of why I scooped him is cus I wanted to make him a Toukai and people told me they thought it was a bad idea :/
so now Ryoga is a constant reminder to always do what I WANT to do, not what others think I should do
Tydie:
saigen is like the dysfunctional family you choose to be part of
Methtastic:
Crazy how elaborate the system is for a group of people who only finish a fight a tenth of the time after 2 months of arguing over 3 seconds of combat
Varian:
If you want to speed up the process you can just talk to one of the other staff members about it.
Most of them have been around longer than Director and can actually read.
The Best Fucking Chuunin Exam Ever:

Zentirajin

Post by Zentirajin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:53 pm

As one of the original players of this set, as well as having a very small hand in designing it, I have to agree that it was a fun set! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Return to “Member Section”