Forum Softwares

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Forum Softwares

Post by Taiga » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:22 am

So I'm working on a streamline, basic forum software, open-source. It's to show off to prospective employeers when I job hunt in a month or two.

What do you think are useless features in forum software? What features does ANY forum software need?

What kind of layouts for forums do you like? (Traditional like ZetaBoards, or forums like Reddit which streamline it and categorize views differently.)

Any other thoughts on forums/forum software is appreciated.

CDF

Forum Softwares

Post by CDF » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:54 am

It depends on what I'm doing.

I like reddit for getting information and then getting into some quick conversations with people I likely won't talk to again. A forum like Zetaboards is what I want if I'm looking for a community though. I'll keep an eye out for anything I think is useless or lacking in the forums i use.
- zenchou
Most intense. Mission. EVER.
[color=#C9B037]Ouji Hito Kazekage[/color] Sunagakure no Sato
Wakatsuki, Zai A-ranked Missing Ninja Kumogakure no Sato

WrightJustice

Forum Softwares

Post by WrightJustice » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:51 am

I never fully thought of reddit as a forum but I guess that's kind of a way to think of it. reddit seems more like just general discussion for so many things and that's assuming you actually check comments which I'm not sure a lot of redditors actually do.
Even in subreddits there's just so many different things and comments are pretty much just that; comments on whatever is posted, which isn't much better than anything like youtube but what does make them better is its much better organised and has a system for good/bad comments.

Zetaboards is more like an actual place for completely separate forums built for specific communities, like it feels like more, proper discussions and there can easily be set topics or even do something like we do where we rp.

That being said the zetaboard style seems more suited for specific sites and their communities these days like the serebii.net forums or similar with sites that are specifically just a forum maybe dying down a bit, though maybe that's just my view even though I go to this specific Naruto rp and been on this forum for Magic Duels for ages now.
reddit does better as its own kind of site since its more like a massive social media forum with quick and easy comments on so many things, which I suppose is basically the difference CDF said.

So yeah, I'm not sure you can count them as the same since they offer somewhat different things and it just depends on what you're looking for at the time.

Maybe traditional forums could be more streamlined and still be about the community though? I dunno how mind you.

Return to “Member Section”