A Beginner's Guide to Saigen!

Fake

Post by Fake » Thu May 24, 2018 5:52 am

WELCOME

So you want to RP on Saigen? Great! Here's the guide for you.

People new to the site might find the huge system and sheer amount of rules daunting and difficult to figure out, so I've compiled a checklist of sorts with helpful tips and links that will get you from the start to RPing as soon as possible. Understand that this by no means encompasses all the rules you should know--just the ones that you should know when starting out fresh. I'll be trying to make this as concise and straight-to-the-point as possible, and will continue to improve it as time progresses.
Table of Contents
1: The World/ VillagesGet to know the universe you're playing in.
2: Character CreationTime to brainstorm!
3: Template FillingTime to make your character!
4: Getting a Plot StartedWhere to post, how to receive rewards, etc.
5: Common TerminologyTo help you understand what these damn nerds are babbling about in the chatbox.

THE WORLD/ VILLAGES

Saigen is, if you were not already aware, a Naruto-based RP in an alternate universe. Fans of the show may find that it's practically a completely different universe that only borrows conceptual elements from Naruto. This means that characters and clans on the show may not necessarily exist within this RP. For the sake of simplicity I'm going to assume you, the reader, have some knowledge on the show/manga.

That being said, there are a LOT of background story elements that the staff and members have worked hard to put together. But to be honest, you don't need to know too much about that stuff for the time being--or perhaps ever--but I digress. I will note, however, the things you should know:
  • Each village has its own culture, organizations, and clans which are drastically different from the next village's. When compiling a backstory/ history for your character, you should keep this in mind and have your village(s) on a tab ready for reference.
  • Two characters from different villages interacting isn't uncommon, but the the relationships between villages should be considered when planning on visiting your friend from another town. Unless the relations between villages is good, inter-village travel is very unlikely. When in doubt, ask around.
    • Konohagakure, Sunagakure, and Kumogakure are cool with eachother.
    • Kirigakure and Iwagakure are cool with eachother.
  • In my personal opinion, these are what the gist of each village is like:
    • Konoha: Your Gryffindors. Protects what they value most in their hearts.
    • Kumo: Essentially encompasses all of Lightning Country. A military state.
    • Iwa: Hardcore patriots who value strength.
    • Kiri: Violent village with restrictive/oppressive caste system.
    • Suna: Very huge emphasis on worshiping the Kazekage as a 'god'.
That, in my opinion, is all you really need to know for now. As with everything written here, it'll be a good idea to go back and read up a bit on stuff to situate yourself better.

CHARACTER CREATION

This is the part where I feel like it gets REALLY dicey for newbies, so I'll try to focus on this section a lot. Here's a nice little flowchart'y checklist of things that are arguably more important to consider for newbies at creation:
  • Brainstorm an idea.
    • Is your character going to be from a clan?
      • What village does the clan originate from?
      • Does the clan have any requirements in appearance or stats?
    • What rank are you starting at?
      • Missing-nin or village nin? (minor country characters start at D-Rank)
    • What kind of fighting style/ techniques do you want?
      • Do any of these ideas already exist in archives?
        • If yes: what kind of stats do you need?
  • Minor-country characters can be from a HUGE variety of countries; the list is here. You're generally more free with your history regarding MC characters,
So up next we have a really helpful tool called the Character Creation Guide--I swear by it, even as a member who's been around for several years. I feel like the best way to show how to make a character is to do an example. So I'll be doing that in the next post.
NameVillageRankOrganizationTest★ YATO ★KonohaA-RankThe God HandTest★ AYATO ★Knowledge CountryC-RankKobushi KaishuuTest

Fake

Post by Fake » Thu May 24, 2018 5:53 am

TEMPLATE FILLING

So hopefully by now, you have a general idea of what you want your character to be. If you don't, then get the fuck off of this section and go back and brainstorm. If you do have a general idea, let's proceed using:

CHARACTER TEMPLATE
CHARACTER CREATION GUIDE

You'll be following the instructions from the guide mostly. However, I will give you some VERY USEFUL tips and tricks that you should follow.

If I were to go through the checklist in section 2, my character would be:
  • Hyuuga Clan member, so he's also from Konoha.
    • According to the Hyuuga page, he has to have either dark brown or black hair, and white eyes.
    • Clan members must also have above average Control and Taijutsu at start up.
  • I want to start at Genin Rank.
  • I want to be a gentle fist user with some Raiton ninjutsu added into the mix.
    • Gentle fist is a pre-existing style on the Hyuuga page, and Raiton is a pre-existing style in the Raiton archives.
      • It seems that my character will need Taijutsu, Control, and Ninjutsu as his primary stats.
      • It also seems Gentle Fist requires the Upper Body and Deft Hands Concentrations.
Okay, so now that we have the groundwork, let's work on filling out the template to the best of our ability. The flavor stuff, such as age, personality, etc., are all things I can't teach you how to do. That's all up to you.

I will however, be breaking this up into 5 sections to explain VERY USEFUL tips and tricks to get through registration smoothly.
Section 1 - General InformationShow
Username: Fake
Prestige Perks: 0/0
Stat Trainings: (0/50)
Hyuuga, Hakane
The Gentle Boy

[I'll never stop eating pizza!]

General Information Age: 13
Height: 5'11
Weight: 147 lbs
Physical Features:
  • Face/head: Hakane is a young-looking boy with soft features. He has white eyes--the trademark of any Hyuuga clan member. His hair is black, and cut short with his bangs hanging loosely just above his eyebrows.
  • Body: Hakane's body is built relatively lean, and his muscular definitions are visible. As a tall person, his features are somewhat elongated, and he looks lanky, but muscular all the less. He has a couple of scars around his body from years of training and hard work.
  • Notable Features:A birthmark in the shape of a crescent on the back of his left hand.
Clothing/Accessories: Hakane wears a t-shirt and jeans whenever he can, something that most shinobi don't really wear. He also wears strapped leather sandals, and keeps his village headband on his forehead at all times.
Picture:
Personality:
  • General: Hakane is a young boy with naive dreams. As an optimist, he tends to try to find the good in people, and generally trusts those he encounters.
  • Hopes/Dreams: Hakane hopes to grow to become a shinobi as great as his father--a famous jounin of Konohagakure.
  • Fears: Hakane fears life-threatening situations--but who doesn't at that age? Other than that, he's a courageous individual who never backs down.
  • Combat Mentality:During combat, Hakane tends to analyze his opponents and his surroundings with the use of the Byakugan prior to engaging physically. If he deems it safe, he will proceed to make use of his Gentle Fist style and Raiton to debilitate the enemy. Hakane is young and does not yet know the joys of killing others, and instead prefers to spare and/or capture his opponents.

THINGS TO NOTE IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER THAT YOU WILL PROBABLY FORGET
  • If and ONLY IF your character is in a clan from the Archives, make a hyperlink to that clan in the name.
    • For example, [url=URL here]Hyuuga[/url], Hakane.
  • Use units of measurement for height and weight (lbs, kg, cm, feet). If you don't you will be asked to fix it.
  • In terms of appearance, I always go down a quick list to be thorough and make sure I have everything:
    • Eyes, general facial appearance, hair color and length.
    • Body build (muscular, thin, long, etc).
    • Top, bottom, shoes, forehead protector location.
Section 2 - Battle InformationShow
Battle Information Village: Konoha
  • Ninjutsu: 7
  • Taijutsu: 10
  • Genjutsu: 1
  • Stamina: 4
  • Control: 10
  • Strength: 2
  • Speed: 3
  • Instinct: 2
Equipment:
  • 15 Kunai knives located in a pouch around the waist.
  • 30 Shuriken located in a pouch around the waist.
  • 15 explosive tags located on a pouch wrapped around the left leg.
Companions: (0/1)
Affinity: Raiton
  • Double-check your stat total to make sure it correctly corresponds to your rank.
  • Equipment should always note where, and in what your character keeps it in.
    • You can have custom weaponry at start-up; just put it on your sheet. The mods will price it, and if it's too expensive they'll let you know.
    • Always include an affinity, even if you're not going to be using it. Consider it like hair color.
Section 3 - Abilities and ConcentrationsShow
Abilities and Concentrations
Abilities
First Ability
Byakugan:
Byakugan Doujutsu
One of the most famed doujutsu in the world, Byakugan is the bloodline limit of the Hyuuga Clan. When active, the clan member gains 360 degree vision and Penetrative vision, allowing the Hyuuga clan to see the Tenketsu of their enemies. Their telescopic vision can be activated via jutsu. As such, the Byakugan is capable of ability channeling, allowing the Hyuuga to activate their Doujutsu techniques without hand seals. It should be noted that while using their telescopic vision the Hyuuga experiences tunnel vision, making it difficult to see their surroundings.

Prolonged usage of the Byakugan is strenuous and requires a high level of endurance. The maximum operating time a user can utilize their Byakugan at a time is equal to their stamina stat divided by 4 rounded down, to a minimum of one post. Upon reaching the max duration, the stress of using their Byakugan to it’s limit causes a cooldown period of 1/2 of the duration time, to a minumum of one post. During this cooldown period, the Byakugan cannot be activated and attempting to do so will cause physical pain. Duration is based off total posts where the Byakugan is activated, meaning users can turn it on and off to have a shorter cooldown.
Second Ability---------
Third Ability-------------
Concentrations
Ninjutsu
RaitonShow
Raiton Affinity
A character with this concentration is able to utilize Raiton, and can make and use any custom or archived jutsu that require the Raiton affinity. Raiton has a shocking effect.
Passive (Shocking)Show
Raiton has the effect of shocking, which means causes it's effect to be diffuse upon impact. In organic material, this causes nervous stimulation which results in numbness, tingling, loss of sensation, and sometimes paralysis. In inorganic material, this means that the strength of the jutsu diffuses across an area 2x the size of the attack. In a jutsu that creates a lightning ball 2m in diameter, if it struck a wall the size of the attack would cover a 4m area.

Additionally, the strength of the nervous effect on organic material from raiton jutsu is determined by the ninjutsu stat requirement.
  • 1-10 Ninjutsu Requirement : Tingling, acute numbness
  • 11-20 Ninjutsu Requirement: Loss of Sensation
  • 21-35 Ninjutsu Requirement: Localized Paralysis
  • 36+ Ninjutsu Requirement: Diffuse Paralysis
Taijutsu
Gentle FistShow
Jyuuken
Jyuuken, also known as ‘Gentle Fist’ is the NinTaijutsu style the Hyuuga Clan has become notorious for. It’s moves appear like a graceful dance to the naked eye, though some of these moves can be quite deadly. Most strikes are aimed to close the tenketsu of the target’s body, limiting their jutsu use and damaging their chakra network.
Requires Upper Body and Deft hands
Upper BodyShow
The fundamental skill of the [Upper Body] indicates the user’s proficiency with using their arms, chest and head in various ways to facilitate their use of related Taijutsu.
Deft HandsShow
The fundamental skill of [Deft Hands] indicates the user’s proficiency with using their hands in very specific and complex movements, like sleight of hand and targeting very small and specific points on an opponent’s body. This facilitates their use of related Taijutsu in various ways.
GenjutsuN/A
  • Custom abilities will take a good amount of time. For newer members, I suggest starting with no abilities, or an archived ability, as you have a free do-over token without losing any progression.
  • Make sure your stats can support the amount of concentrations that you will need.
    • For every 5 points in a stat (nin, tai, gen), you gain a concentration slot for that category
  • Don't feel pressured to use all of your concentration or ability slots at registration. You can ALWAYS go back and add more without extra cost. Just use what you will need at the bare minimum for now. unlessyouhaveacrazyassabilitythatwillneedsomeplotboardsbutthat'satopicforlater
  • Do NOT edit anything from archives. The moment you do that, it's considered not pre-accepted, and instead a custom.
Section 4 - JutsuShow
Jutsu
Ninjutsu:
RaitonShow
*Raiton • Static Shroud
D-Ranked Raiton Jutsu
After performing the correct hand seals the user covers their body in a layer of visible static which crackles around them for 4 posts. Anything which comes within 6 inches of their body will be repelled with a force of 5 strength and have the Raiton Shocking effect applied.

*Raiton • Bright Bolt
D-ranked Raiton Jutsu
After performing the correct hand seals the user will extend two fingers toward a target. A bolt of lightning will jump up to 10 meters from their fingers at a speed of 6, striking with a strength of 4.

*Raiton • Conductor
D-ranked Raiton Jutsu
After performing the correct hand seals, the user will coat a weapon they are holding in Raiton electricity for 5 posts. This causes the shock effect to be produced on any contact with a target, while also granting blunt weapons the ability to cut through skin to produce shallow wounds. This also works for thrown weapons, however if the projectile remains out of contact with the user for more than 2 posts the technique will dissipate early.

*Raiton • Stun Gun
D-ranked Raiton Jutsu
After performing the correct hand seals, the user will channel Raiton chakra to two of their fingers. They will then be able to fire up to three total bullet sized balls of concentrated lightning from their fingertips. These bullets will travel at 5 speed, but will not have any physical force. Instead, they will apply light electrical burns similar to a sun burn and will apply Raiton's shocking effect.
ByakuganShow
~Byakugan: Telescopic Vision
D Rank Ninjutsu
Prerequisite: 10 Control
By channeling a small amount of chakra to the Hyuuga's Byakugan, the clan member uses their doujutsu to zoom in like a telescope, allowing them to see much farther away. In doing so, the Hyuuga member is able to see up to 250 meters away as though they were mere feet away. It should be noted that while using their telescopic vision the Hyuuga experiences tunnel vision, making it difficult to see their surroundings. This jutsu can be maintained as long as the Hyuuga channels chakra to their eyes.
Taijutsu:
Gentle Fist - D-RankShow
~Jyuuken :: Palm Dance of Divination
D-rank Nintaijutsu Manoeuvre
Prerequisite: 6 Control
The fundamental basis of Jyuuken, the user will focus chakra into their hands. For three posts the user is able to inject the chakra within the opponent’s body upon successful contact, dealing damage to the internal structures of the body rather than the external. This has a painful effect on the muscles and blood vessels within the body, causing bruising at the touch.

~Jyuuken :: Palm Guard of Divination
Prerequisite: 6 Control
After channelling chakra into their palm, the user will guard a strike to them. If this strike is empowered by Ninjutsu of D-rank or lower, it will guard against the effects by the user bursting their own chakra into it. Otherwise the chakra will enter the opponent’s striking appendage and damage their chakra system, causing them to lose 1 control until the end of the thread or they seek medical attention.

~Jyuuken :: White Haze Dance
After channelling chakra into their palm, the user will strike harder than usually performed in Jyuuken. While normally the softest touch is enough to inject the chakra to damage the internal structures of the body, this technique is designed to accompany the user's attack with a blast of chakra, throwing those with a strength less than the user's [(strength+control)/2] back 5 meters through the air.

~Jyuuken :: White Haze Dagger
After channelling chakra into their hand, the user will skilfully dodge an incoming strike performed with an arm. The user will then strike the place where the bicep and triceps meet on that arm, injecting their chakra between the muscles for a painful effect. The arm will then have its strength reduced by 1 for the remainder of the thread or until medical attention is provided.

~Jyuuken :: Twin Striking Palm
Often used as a finishing strike, the user will charge chakra through their palms before they deliver the blow. They will then strike with one palm inverted over the other into the opponent’s abdomen. The chakra that is injected directly into the opponent’s solar plexus causes significant pain and stands a very large chance of winding the opponent providing their stamina does not exceed the user’s [(strength+Control)/2]-5.
  • I did not use the full allowance of points on Jutsu (Genin get 30, I used 20). Don't do this. Try to use all the points you get, as you will not receive the remainder post-registration.
  • Going by the rule of pyramids, try to build a strong foundation. If you have 5 D's and 5 C's of any pyramid, you will no longer need to make any D or C ranked jutsus for it.
  • Again, if you are using archived jutsu, do NOT edit them.
    • The markers in front of jutsu names such as * and ~ indicate that the jutsu is from the archives. Do not use the marker(s) if you are making custom jutsu.
  • You can format the organization of your jutsu however you see fit; don't follow my crap example of coding/formatting.
Section 5 - HistoryShow
History
Historical AccountsShow
Hakane was born to the prestigious and well-known Hyuuga clan. Ever since he was born, he was slated to marry Hinoka, another member of the Hyuuga clan, as arranged marriages are commonplace within the clan. Although he was unaware of this fact until later on, he would soon learn that the harsh customs of the clan were too old-fashioned for his tastes.

He completed his rite of passage upon unlocking his Byakugan at the early age of 6, which led the clansmen to believe that he was to be a prodigy. However, his rather free-spirited and childish dispositions quickly put that idea to the back burner. Because of this, he was forced into rigorous and dangerous training habits by his father, a jounin who was well-respected among Konoha shinobi. Through learning combat techniques even before he entered the academy, when he had entered, it was a breeze for him. Upon graduating from the academy, he was given his forehead protector--something he considers a personal treasure of sorts.
  • Older and higher ranked characters are expected to have more in-depth histories. Keep in mind that the length of a Genin's history will likely vary greatly from the length of a Jounin's history.
  • I like using a checklist to run through the history of my character.
    • Were they born under any expectations?
    • How does their clan/family/friends impact their life?
    • How did they fare in the academy/geninhood/chuuninhood/etc?
    • What is their perception of their history?
    • Is this history consistent with the themes/laws of my character's village and/or clan?
  • It's advisable that you come as close to the present day of your character as possible--it allows for extra depth, and also lets your RP partners and mods know how to perceive your character.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I go through making a character. Obviously the process will differ from case to case, but as long as you follow these tips and tricks, you're bound to make a LOT less error and get through registration quicker.
Last edited by Valkier on Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
NameVillageRankOrganizationTest★ YATO ★KonohaA-RankThe God HandTest★ AYATO ★Knowledge CountryC-RankKobushi KaishuuTest

Fake

Post by Fake » Thu May 24, 2018 5:53 am

GETTING A PLOT STARTED
So you've been accepted, your character is in the archives, and you want to start RPing! What do you do? I've compiled a list of dummy-proof steps so that you, my friend, can dive into the fun world of NSRP.
Step 1: Find Friends
Keeping in mind that you will primarily be interacting with other users from your own village, get to know people on the chat box/discord and what villages their characters are in. Most site members will have multiple characters, some even having 2 to each village. I can almost guarantee that there's someone who is both willing to RP with you and will be a good fit with you.

In my previous post, I made a Hyuuga character. So, what I like to do after my character is done is look through the archives to see if there are any similarly ranked characters with personalities that will mesh well with my own character's. What's nice is that every character sheet subject title has a subscript of what rank they are underneath, and in the character sheet itself it has a direct link to the user so you can PM and harass them to RP with you.
Step 1.5: Socials, Lonelies, Plot Boards? What???
So NSRP has this cool little way of gaining character points (to buy jutsu, stats, etc) and stats (to beef up your character). I'll give you the gist of each and my opinion on them.

Socials: 2 or more player characters in a single thread. The most common thing for NSRP players to do. Grants character points (CP). Graded on a scale of 0-7; you get an amount of CP equal to your grade.

Lonelies: As the name implies, something written entirely by yourself. Also graded on a scale of 0-7. I honestly hardly ever do these because the rewards tend to be shittier, but it offers a lot of room and flexibility to further your personal plot line.

Plot Boards (PB's): A group of threads. Can contain lonelies (I don't recommend at all; the grading is different and there are restrictions), but will mostly be socials. There are two ways to go about plot boards: registering them first, or doing the threads first. I honestly recommend registering them first as mods are quick to check them up and accept them; if you do the threads first and the corresponding PB ends up not being the rank you wanted it to be, it gets messy. You get an equal amount of CP and stats corresponding to your total scores from all threads.

For example, if I have a thread with 3 points, one with 4, and another with 4, my character will be gaining both 11 CP and 11 stat points.
Step 2: Understanding the System
So essentially, keeping this grading stuff in mind, there's a whole process to actually receiving your rewards. I'm not going to explain how to set up a plot board because it's all in this link, but I will tell you how to go about getting your shit.

1a. If you're planning on doing a plot board, register it at this link and wait for mod approval.
1b. Post the thread(s), do the story(s), finish it up.
2. Link to the finished thread in the Topic Grading forum using the template given in the pinned section.
3. Get a mod grade; the points will automatically be added to your character sheet. If your graded thread belongs to a plot board, hold onto the link for later. If not, your process ends here.
4. Once you finish a plot board, go back to the plot board forum and post a progression containing all of the finished threads. The link for the templates are here.
5. Once a mod approves and acknowledges that the plot boards are finished, you are free to claim the stat points in a modification.
And that, friends, is how you go about RPing here. This will wrap up my quick little guide and hopefully you'll have used a lot of the information here by now. One thing I want to note, is that rules change, new rules are made to clarify things, and retcons are made from time to time. It's absolutely unreasonable to have to keep track of everything, so in that spirit, don't ever be afraid to ask staff or trusted members any questions you need. It's the quickest way to figure out something and get it done.

Peace,
-Meth

Fake

Post by Fake » Thu May 24, 2018 7:43 am

COMMON TERMINOLOGY - IN PROGRESS
Archive - Pre-made, pre-approved jutsu, abilities, and concentrations. Located in the Archives forum.
CP - Character points. The currency of our site.
Custom - Custom made jutsu, abilities, and concentrations.
Genma - Our site's version of the Tailed Beasts that are in Naruto.
IC - "in character".
Jinch - Jinchuuriki's, the users of Genma.
KKG - Kekkei Genkai, or bloodline.
MC - Minor Country Character
Meth - Fake, arguably both the coolest member and biggest loser at the same time.
MN - Missing-Ninja.
Mod - Modifications to your character sheet in registration.
OOC - "out of character".
OOC - Also can mean the person in charge of the lore of a specific village or country.
PB - Plot Boards.

Return to “Member Section”