Checking apps waiting the longest first

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Post by Taiga » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:49 pm

It appears often that some apps are checked more than others; in fact some people make it through registry in a day, even a few days. Hell two weeks, while other people with equally simple apps will sometimes wait up to 2-3 months.

There is a huge problem with checking order. It might be a mixture of things, but probably, mainly just perceived easiness.

It’s also not good that more checks = more pay, so why not put your name on the easiest apps and just spend your efforts there? The mod payment system doesn’t really set itself up to help promote healthy checking and progression of all apps, for everyone.

I think there should be a strict rule that you must check from the bottom. Anything else is a mockery of the system and prone to being unfair.

It also is a major muse killer when some players have to be tied up on a single mod for 2-3 months and literally cannot add jutsu or progress their character in any other way, meanwhile other people can add 15 jutsu in one go and be done in 2 weeks.

Consistency really matters for quality of life.

one idea:

Pay out more for checks on apps that have waited a stupidly long amount of time to incentivize checking the bottom, rather than skimming the top for easy checks
Last edited by Taiga on Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Jinan B

Post by Jinan B » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:42 am

It's probably fair to have a stab at encouraging the checking of complex apps over simple ones, though I'm not sure a strict start from the bottom rule or extra payout for long waiting would go in the direction you're hoping.

Regarding a strict start from the bottom rule, I don't think constraining a volunteer group in general is super desirable. Everyone should already be aware that it's preferable to start from the bottom, and if they go around that for reasons such as a matter being in discussion in a mod chat or not having time for a complex check I think that should be allowed. I'd prefer to have a mod say "I have 2 minutes, I can check one easy thing" than "I have 2 minutes, the bottom item is complicated so I don't have time for it". If it's more stringent than genuinely encouraged by the lead mods (which it absolutely should be) to start from the bottom I would also start to have fears about a contribution to burnout for some less devoted mods.

Regarding extra payout for long waiting, could this not potentially incentivize holding on a check to earn a greater payout? Not saying anyone in the modding team would necessarily do that but I feel like there could be better ways to structure the payout incentives in a way that don't introduce those risks.

In an effort to balance doing nothing with over-complicating the mod payout system, would something along the lines of additional payout if an app/mod contains a custom ability; or above X non-archive jutsu, etc. be workable?
Last edited by Jinan B on Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Characters
NameRankVillageOrgColour
Karagata, Kinsue
Jounin
Kirigakure
HHD

Mediumseagreen
Kenitsuna, Ko’ichi
Genin
Iwagakure
None

Lightsteelblue
Test Thread Saigen Census V2

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Post by Taiga » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:27 pm

That's a great idea Jinan and I agree. Another option that's less abusable could also be to discount the player for having to wait so long as-well... but I guess we can't rule out a player and his buddy mods agreeing to let something rot to get it cheaper even if its less likely to happen than the former.

I think your idea of paying based on the type of mod would be best; some mods have also complained checking registry payout is so low its not worth the work, so I think your idea could be a real good "force multiplier" in several fronts.
Last edited by Taiga on Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Return to “Questions and Ideas”