Stopping by Woods

Oddric

Stopping by Woods

Post by Oddric » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:52 pm

"I didn't think another person like me existed." Kiji said solemnly, looking over to Yui on the park bench as they shared a moment of silence. The sun was beginning to peak over the horizon and civil dawn was just starting. The two of them had been chatting for quite some time. Not all night, but their respective paths lead them to this park at the witching hour. Is was quiet and peaceful. It had been forever since Kiji had good company. "All my classmates, their parents or guardians seemed to adore them. They came to their graduations. Of course, mine never showed up." Her parents had a lot of disdain for her, as she explained to Yui. Kiji was the bastard child of a noble clan, her biological mother nothing more than a commoner. Her father's wife was unable to have a child at all, never mind a son. He was in line to be head of the clan, but it seemed his brother and his several sons were going to be head of the family instead. It certainly didn't make Kiji's father like her anymore. "Did yours show up?" She felt obligated to ask.

Nodding to Yui's words, Kiji twiddled her thumbs. She didn't want the sun to come up, she'd prefer if it stayed hidden. This was nice, and something she desperately needed. She just wanted it to be longer. "I uh... read this story once. I felt something when I read it." She grabbed the soft flesh over her heart. "It just reminded me of my... our situations. I guess." She rubbed the back of her head, glancing over to Yui briefly to make she was still listening. Or at the very least, she hadn't fallen asleep.

"In the beginning, there was the God of Time and the Goddess of Nature. Together they made everything in our world. They loved each other and forged everything in our universe through that. Through nature and time, anything was possible. They had a lot of adventures together, adventures that brought stars to the sky, the sun, the moon, the trees and animals. However, they weren't able to stay together forever. They had to maintain the universe separately in order to keep it stable. Regrettably, they split to do their own tasks. To serve the universe the way they were meant to. That's where the seasons come from, and the nights and our days. The two deities miss each other. The nights and winters can be cold with their sadness, but eventually they come back from it and the days and summers are so beautiful. The happiness and sadness from these incredible beings are what makes our world what it is." Kiji said, reciting part of the highly impossible and fantastic tale. "One of the morals of the story is that it's okay to be sad. It's okay to go off on your own and be who you were meant to be, even if it seems scary. Even if you don't think you're able to. You might have your winters and nights... but there will be days and summers, eventually. No matter how cold the dark nights can be, there will be warmth again." Kiji smiled, chuckling as she shook her head. "It was one of the longest books I had ever read. The authors must have put years of thought into it."
NameRankVillageNinjutsuTaijutsuGenjutsuStaminaControlStrengthSpeedWitKashou AkidoGeninKumogakure52233333Kiji IssuiGeninIwagakure25423323Kokuei NaraChuuninKonohagakure75256456Ayatsuri GuujinChuuninSunagakure74456446

raiza

Stopping by Woods

Post by raiza » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:52 pm

Her eyes remained fixated on the distant horizon. The chaotic swirls of purple and orange surprisingly soothed her soul and fortunately for Yui, it was much needed. Kiji’s words had uncovered memories of her past; memories that if she could would keep hidden for rest of her days.

“They did not.” She bit her lip with angst. “I was exiled from the Hokousha at my departure from the compound. My parents went about their lives as if I had never existed… I expected resistance when I made my decision, but never did I foresee such extreme measures being taken.”

It took everything Yui had to stop herself from shaking.

The concept of nobility changed people. For her parents, it caused extreme paranoia regarding their status in the eyes of other. Unfortunately for Yui, it also caused them to attempt to railroad her into what was deemed to be socially acceptable by Hokousha standards.

Ugh. She hated her parents.
She hated the Hokousha.

Yui listened intently to Kiji as she recited her story. She never realized her friend was such a philosopher and it make her a slight smirk to form. It reminded her of a story that one of the elderly woman had told her after she snuck out of her room one night. “I have heard something similar titled, 'The Romance of the Sun and the Moon'. The Moon was a lonely entity in the night sky with no one to share the joys and sorrows of her life. However she heard stories of another divine entity on the other side of the world. The Sun was beloved by many and provided good fortune to those who worshiped him. To the Moon, it felt like an eternity since the last time she had seen him and his warm embrace. The Moon yearned for the Sun and followed the sun wherever he went, but she could never reach him. She continued to follow the sun, always coming nearer to him as time passed. Where before there was only loneliness, she remained hopeful, for she knew it was only a matter of time. One day, she stood before him and all of this light was only for her. All of her pain, all of her past, all of her loneliness was gone. The Moon and the Sun would eventually part ways and her loneliness would return, but she would remember the ever-so brief moment and it was just enough to keep her moving forward until their next encounter."

Yui glanced over to Kiji and playfully punched her shoulder. “Not as eloquent as yours, but more or less the same concept. We are survivors whether or not our families choose to believe that. Never forget that."

Oddric

Stopping by Woods

Post by Oddric » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:37 pm

Kiji showed Yui the same kindness and listened to her story as well. The two tales shared many similarities. Myths could be like, though. A sort of different setting and characters, but the message was the same. She wondered if one myth-weaver had drawn their creative inspiration from the other, or if some event had happened that inspired both of the storytellers.

Flinching slightly, Kiji looked to Yui with a bit of shock in her eyes. It didn't take Kiji very long to realize her soft punch was one of expressing affection. An example of a social norm that Kiji wasn't accustomed to. "Yeah... you're right." She nodded, elbows on her knees as she looked from Yui and to the colorful horizon. There wasn't anyone walking about yet, but she imagined there would be relatively soon. "We're better than they think we are. Better than what others think we are." Kiji told herself this often. Faked it until she made it.

"We aren't the mistakes we've made. Nor are we the mistakes our parents claim we are. We are perfect the way we are, and we shouldn't let anyone take that away from us." Kiji said, mostly to Yui, but partially to herself. "Because in the end, what are we? What are we, really? We aren't mistakes or someone's perfect child or an honorable shinobi... we are just... stories. The things that people tell over fires or in front of sunrises. That's all we will be, tales that someone will tell when we are long gone. Why not make our stories good ones? The God and Goddess, they might have been real. Their adventures might have literally meant the world, the universe, to someone. And that someone immortalized them into a fantastic story. Blemishes and imperfections be damned. You know?" She felt like she was rambling now, but she couldn't help it. "Let's give someone a reason to make us into stories."

A sigh flew from Kiji's mouth, moving the dark hair strands from her eyes. "You want to go somewhere else? I know a good place for breakfast. Their pancakes and fantastic." She could practically taste them now. She had a hunch Yui could too. "Or, something else. I don't know if I have the appetite yet." She twiddled her thumbs, looking off to the trees that filled the otherwise lifeless village park.
NameRankVillageNinjutsuTaijutsuGenjutsuStaminaControlStrengthSpeedWitKashou AkidoGeninKumogakure52233333Kiji IssuiGeninIwagakure25423323Kokuei NaraChuuninKonohagakure75256456Ayatsuri GuujinChuuninSunagakure74456446

raiza

Stopping by Woods

Post by raiza » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:30 pm

“And that is all that matters. “ Yui chimed in before returning her eyes to the sky above. “What we think about ourselves and no one else. Not me. Not friends. Not even your family. We live for ourselves. If we want to be happy, we will be happy. If we want to be sad, then we will be sad. Whatever the case, it is our decision to make. Until our last breath.”

Yui snickered silently, Kiji was certainly beginning to rub off on her. She hadn’t known the girl for too long and yet, Yui felt as if she had known her for the entirety of life. Perchance it was their similar upbringing or lack thereof. She didn’t particularly understand it. Relationships were such a fickle things. All she knew was that Kiji Issui was a friend.

Her frie-

Wait.

Did she say pancakes?

Her mind went blank; her former thoughts assaulted by ones of pancake goodness. Unbeknownst to many, her favorite breakfast item was pancakes. Nothing could compare. She recalled fondly of haggardly young man who made her pancakes every time she came to visit. The sweetness of the syrup as it touched her tongue quickly followed by delicate, yet firm texture of the pancake itself.

She was giving herself chills.

“I would like that.” She managed to squeak, internally hoping that Kiji would not pick up on her…well, weirdness. She shot to her feet. Despite her best attempts, it was rather difficult to not notice sudden spring to her step.

Such a unique girl.

Oddric

Stopping by Woods

Post by Oddric » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:53 am

Pancakes. Delicious. Gooey ooey and sugary sweet. Nothing quite beat a hearty breakfast, and Kiji was absolutely craving it. She felt her mouth water, briefly bringing up her hand to make sure she wasn't actually drooling. The fact that Yui agreed... well... it seemed to good to be true. Pancakes forged friendships. They were more than food, they were a little miracle.

She'd be sure to keep that to herself.

"Haha. All right." Kiji gave a smirk, using one hand to push herself up off the bench. "We've been out here all night, and I'm starving." Standing now, she rubbed her shoulder, neck to one side. "I had dinner... at some point. I think. Maybe I didn't. I don't remember." A shrug came after that comment. "I don't think I was hungry when I met you, at least. I'm not sure when I started being hungry."

Kiji had stopped talking. Her eyebrows lowered and she looked past Yui to the village. She turned on her heel and looked around again. "Yui... do you remember how we met today?" Kiji looked to Yui, a look of concern on her face. Something wasn't right. "All I remember is us being on this park bench. We talked for so long... but... I hardly remember anything we've talked about. Have we actually been out here all night? Think. Really think. Try to remember."

Part of Kiji was freaking out, something felt wrong. As she analyzed the scenery, things seemed off too. Like... things seemed incomplete. "Look. The signs... they aren't even coherent." She pointed at a series of shops a ways away from them. The signs were a mesh of letters. "This isn't real. Why didn't I notice before..." A hand clasped her whitening face, eyes locking with Yui. "Are you real?" Her hand slipped down her face. "The girl with a similar history to mine, similar interests. We just happen to meet. Something to keep me calm and to keep me from realizing what was really going on around me." Kiji instinctively backed up. "Yui, are you doing this? Are you playing with me? What is this?"

raiza

Stopping by Woods

Post by raiza » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:41 pm

It took a moment for Yui’s mind to register Kiji’s words and even then, it didn’t make much sense.

“I don’t understand what you saying.” Her eyebrows arched questionably. “Of course I know how we met today. We met…well, I mean…we were just there, right?” Why couldn’t she remember? Regardless of how much she struggled to recollect the memories of hours past, she simply could not. “I cannot remember.”

Fear began to trickle into Yui’s mind. Her posture tensed as it fell into a defensive posture; her eyes sweeping from side to side, taking in her surroundings. The signs were not the only things that were disturbing. The windows of some shops became heavily distorted, almost as if they were melting from an intense heat. Even buildings appeared as if they sinking into the ground.

What in the…

“Kiji! Do you even hear yourself? Of course I’m real. Why would you even say that?”

Her breathing became rapid.

“This is not real.” She mouthed silently. “This is not real. Kiji, I do not know what is going on, but we need to get out of here. Please, believe me.”

She reached out to grab Kiji’s hand.

It passed right through.

Oddric

Stopping by Woods

Post by Oddric » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:54 am

Kiji stepped back, eyes critically analyzing her new 'friend'. Everything now was clearly fake and poorly constructed, everything but Yui. She was very real and very human. Whatever sort of illusion or mind trick this was, Yui was incredibly perfect. So that lead the young genin to several possibilities: Yui was a well-created construct of this illusion having a false history similar to Kiji's, Yui was also a victim of this fake reality, or Yui was the mastermind behind it all and had faked friendship to lure Kiji into a false state of confidence.

"Do you see where we are? None of this makes sense! If I am to believe that you are really actually... real then you need be more damn critical!" she screamed, hands waving and head shaking. Kiji was flustered, and she needed some stability. It was all becoming way too much, she adverted her eyes from looking at the jumbled signs and the identical looking trees.

As Yui's hand passed through Kiji's own, the two separate hands becoming translucent, Kiji jumped back. What did that mean? Was Kiji real? "I'm real." Kiji stated, more so for herself it seemed. "I'm real." She said again, looking directly at Yui this time.

Breathing heavy, Kiji rubbed her hair. "Okay... okay..." She calmed herself. For what it was worth. Everything felt physical and real, but it couldn't be. Was controlling her breathing even really doing anything? Kiji tried not to think about it. "I know a lot about genjutsu. How to perform it, theory, and its extent." She had read many books and tales of the limits that genjutsu techniques could be pushed. Kiji also knew a number of techniques herself. "This to me is more likely to be some sort of... high level genjutsu. Something that... I guess we are both a part of." She was still skeptical that Yui was truly just a victim. Out of the three options she had for the girl, one that she was an ally, two she was a figment of her imagination, and three she was her enemy... it was in Kiji's best interest just to play along regardless. Even if Yui was a just a figment of her mind here, it would probably help to interact with her in a positive manner.

"For genjutsu, there are... well... a lot of ways to escape. Depending on the technique." Kiji covered her mouth with her hand, looking around. "We phase through each other when we try and touch, and the world around us looks like a poorly constructed version of Iwa's central park." She looked at the skewed font of a restaurant's banner. "I think this genjutsu was constructed from one of our mind's. Or both, and the genjutsu user just... pieced our thoughts together. Right? I think that makes sense.

"So, this reality is... held together with glue. So to speak. It's not stable, not really. Nothing makes sense, things seem like they're falling apart. We just need to..." she thought of the words to say, "...push ourselves out." Kiji pushed her hands forward. "If we can convince ourselves that this isn't real, I think that would be enough." She breathed calmly looking down at her hands. "Try hitting me. Just keep trying to hit me. If we keep phasing through each other, I think that would be enough for our minds to know something is wrong. Come on. As hard as you can." She let her arms fall by herself, subconsciously tightening her muscles to embrace for the impact that wouldn't happen.

raiza

Stopping by Woods

Post by raiza » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:26 am

What little composure the girl had disappeared in an instant. She tucked her head in between her arms and let loose a deafening shriek. The world continued to distort around them. Kiji’s words did not help matters much. Each one caused a sharp pain in her chest. It was unbearable as if knives were piercing through her heart and in some aspects, perhaps even her soul. Nothing made sense to her anymore and frankly, she did not attempt to understand it. She wanted it to end. It had to end.

Why was it not ending?

Yui looked desperately at Kiji, watching as her lips moved, yet no sound was heard. Her eyes narrowed, focusing as hard as she could. It took several seconds, but gradually, Kiji became audible. “I have…never experienced this before. The Hokousha…they…we are capable of seeing through reality; separate truths from the lies. However this is out of the realm of my expertise…but if you believe we can phase out, then we can try.”

Her mind trailed for a moment as she recollected her teachings from her past. Not the teaching of the Hokousha, but rather, those of her teacher. No matter how hard she tried to trick him, he never fell for it. At first, it angered her and she vowed to try even harder the next time. The next time ended in failure. The cycle continued. One day, however, she questioned her master why he never fell for her games. He answered with a sheepish grin.

To force a reality upon others is to force a reality upon yourself.

Yui inhaled deeply before striking Kiji as instructed. She winced as the punch passed right through Kiji’s body. And again as another went through. She continued to throw punches with each consecutive strike becoming more forceful. Somewhat reckless even.

Yui failed to realize the change of their surroundings. The park was becoming more clearer and clearer with each passing moment.

She was lost in action.

Oddric

Stopping by Woods

Post by Oddric » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:50 am

"I consider myself well-versed in the arts of genjutsu. My clan... on my father's side... are said to be a spiritual sort of folk. I've always attributed my learning and perception of genjutsu to that. I don't know if that's what helped me see through this ruse. But you also see through it, too. Don't take your laden ability for granted, you have a fantastic gift within you. You are stronger than you know." There were many times that Kiji told herself that. No one else was going to. She had to believe in herself and have confidence in herself, because what else did she have to cling onto in this world?

Kiji twitched as Yui's fist passed through her. "Okay." Kiji whispered, letting herself breath. As Yui swung again and again, Kiji jostled less and less. Things around Yui started becoming hazy. A tingling sensation started in her head and became more intense. She wondered if Yui felt it too. "Do you feel that? That fuzzy feeling in your head? Focus on it, Yui. Make it stronger. Let it explode." Kiji calmly said, Yui continuing to punch away. Whether she heard Kiji or not wasn't important, Yui had her own way of escaping this world it seemed. She had her own thing to focus on.

She felt like she was floating, now. The ground beneath her was a smear of grey. The only solid thing left was Yui, and then even she was fading dramatically. Everything became white, a ringing sensation strong in her ears, and a coolness washed over her body like a cool breeze on a warm day.

"Ah!" Kiji yelped, jerking up in her seat. Or, bed, rather.

Kiji looked around, hands patting around on the wooden table she found herself laying on. Her back was a bit sore. "Yui?" Kiji's eyes stopped on Yui, who was still passed out on the floor. There were several fuuinjutsu scrawlings surrounding the girl. And now that Kiji was looking for them, they were carved onto the wooden table that Kiji had been sleeping on, too.

Swinging her body, Kiji let her legs dangle off the table. The two girls were in a small, fairly empty, cabin. A couple windows on the walls letting in the morning light. How long had they been there? Where were they? "Yui? Yui?" Kiji called out again. She was about to hop off her poor excuse for a bed and slap her awake. "Yui, you need to get up. We have to figure out where we are."

raiza

Stopping by Woods

Post by raiza » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:12 pm

It was faint at first, but the numbness that had begun in her fingertips enveloped her entire being. It was a feeling Yui was familiar with and to some extent, was somewhat comfortable, yet she dared not to stop in fear that if she did, that she would remain trapped in the illusion.

She would not suffer such a fate.

The world disintegrated around the girl with each fleeting moment. She struggled to keep Kiji in focus, but she too began to fade into nothingness. Everything became darker and darker and soon, nothing remained. Yui could hear her heart rhythmically beating; her blood swishing and swooshing as it pumped throughout her body.

She placed her palm on her forehead and released a small burst of chakra. The sudden introduction of chakra would oppose her natural chakra flow, consequently forcing the body to autocorrect itself and thus, breaking the Genjutsu. Although Yui would not know for certain.

It was becoming hard to think.

She closed her eyes and embraced the darkness…
She was a goddess.

Never before had Yui seen such a beautiful woman. Tall and slender, yet still womanly. Her body was the pinnacle of perfection. Her skin was flawless despite being a pale shade of green. Her eyes and lips…they were…intoxicating, begging to be kissed. However, the most notable trait about the woman was her luscious, vibrant crimson hair that stretched down to her back. It was magnificent and Yui yearned for the privilege to run her fingers through…

The man next to the goddess was not so bad himself albeit he paled in comparison to her. While she had a majestic aura surrounding her, he appeared to be rather lackluster. However, the way he held himself in her presence was a different matter. His eyes were confident and determined. He was not intimidated by any means. If anything, he saw himself as an equal to her.

Yui could not take her eyes of them. She watched from a distance while they spoke although she could not make out their words.

“Yui?”

She broke from her trance upon hearing her name.

“Yui, you need to get up.” Yui recognized the voice despite not wanting to.

“No…” she whimpered silently, “I…I do not want to leave. I need to know who they are. Please, leave me alone. Leave us alone.” She shook her head in an attempt to free herself of Kiji’s voice, but no avail. The man and the goddess turned in her direction and held their arms open, seemingly inviting her to join them.

Yui sprinted in their direction.

No matter how fast she ran, she could not reach them…
Yui shot upwards into a sitting position, breathing rapidly as she did. It took a minute for the girl to adjust to her surroundings and even then, Yui was still not exactly sure what was going on. One thing she was certain of; however, was that she were no longer under the Genjutsu. She glanced wearily towards Kiji.

“…Did you see them, Kiji? The man and the goddess?”

Oddric

Stopping by Woods

Post by Oddric » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:54 pm

"Oh thank the Gods." Kiji sighed, letting his hands slip of the woken girl's shoulders. Yui had been murmuring quite a bit, but she had not actually escaped from her slumber. She wasn't sure if the girl ever would. Part of Kiji feared that either Yui would be trapped in the genjutsu forever, or that Yui was somehow not real. That it was some trick played on her that she couldn't see past. Clearly, that wasn't the case. Well, Kiji was still a bit skeptical, but it seemed less likely now that Yui was talking again.

Kiji straightened herself, but stayed sitting next to the girl. "Did I... no. I did not see them. Did you?" She asked, curious. "What did they look like?" Kiji asked, Yui then giving the best description she could of the figures. "Purple frock, huh? Sounds handsome. But I... don't recall seeing anything when I was waking up. That's bizarre that you did. I suppose you escaped the genjutsu after I did, so when I woke up it was still in place." Kiji's tongue rubbed against her teeth, the swordswoman trying to work through what had happened. "Maybe as you woke the genjutsu was breaking and you saw... something? We had been talking about those two deities in our dream, maybe it was you picturing them as you came back to the waking world. Or, maybe, whatever was holding the genjutsu in place was somehow involved with the two figures you saw? Related to the book somehow...?" Kiji's mouth twisted, giving a shrug after. "I don't know. I'm still not even sure what's going on, never mind your vision."

Sighing, Kiji stood up, offering a hand to pull Yui up. "I don't think we should stay here." Kiji looked around the room, noting the fuuinjutsu where the two girls had been laying in the small shack. "Whoever put us in the genjutsu will likely be coming back to check on us. And I have a feeling they're a lot stronger than we are." She wanted to know who and why and how, but this wasn't the way to do it. "We have to get back to Iwa, tell someone, and get them to catch the freak that did this." Kiji nodded to the door of the shack.

Not caring to spend another second there, Kiji left the wooden hut, briefly holding the door for Yui. "Whoa." She said, stepping out and turning to look at the woods surrounding them. They had a bronze hue to their bark, the trees glowing with the rising sun. It was beautiful. Glorious. And unfamiliar. "These don't look like any trees I've seen in the Rock Country." She said, worry in her voice. "Where are we?" Where had their captor taken them?

Kiji looked to the shack, it was totally isolated. Trees and a few jagged boulders surrounding it. Definitely creepy. "How did we get here?" She looked to Yui again. Of course, they had been knocked out or something. But that wasn't the question. "Do you remember where you before this? I... don't even know what day of the week it is. What the hell was I doing?" Hand to her head, she bit her lip in frustration. "Ugh! What was I doing?" She wanted to scream, but stopped herself, letting her arms drop to her side. They might not have been alone out here. "We should start moving. Before I... we draw attention to ourselves."

Return to “Rock Country”