Opening Ceremony - Class 1A

Fresh sparks at the academy in the North

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Post by Taiga » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:37 am

Saishuu Province was not that bad in the spring.

Academies usually held many traits, such as but not limited to prestige or tradition. In each of the five great nations only the best made it into the academies to chase down the elusive shinobi dream. Some countries granted only the strongest entry, while others put emphasis on teamwork. In the Lightning Country, only the best and brightest- those believed to be the future sparks of a great nation where allowed entrance into the shinobi world. Things however were quite weird this spring- because for the first time ever there was two academies. The new academy in the north was an audacious move and a show of the collective strength and spirit of the Lightning country.

Only the best in the nation could become shinobi, and now they stood upon two paths: old and famed, or the new and the unknown. The new academy was in some ways free of the past- the clans and families who dominated it. The clubs and teachers who built ever lasting relationships. Those who willingly chose to attend the academy in the North were those with ambition: those who would become history. A large part of the population however was overflow from the Kumogakure academy- which in efforts to balance the population had many students, first years and above transfered over. Just how much of the old guard's way would remain, was yet to be decided.

The freshly finished academy sparkled in the morning sun. Up the mountain and on the edge of a cliff was the courtyard of the Grand Hall, and upon that cliff was a small man, a Kumogakure forehead protector stitched into a bowler hat. A tunic provided additional warmth, and upon it, the kanji for lightning emblazoned on the back- the sign of the nation. He stood with his arms crossed behind his back, looking down the cliff and upon the horizon. A large group of elder studets, and other instructors sat in silence.

One by one small hands, and sometimes big, grabbed the edge of the cliff, as young Genin emerged, and each time, an older student went to their aid and greeted them. This was the first tradition of the Northern Academy. To reach the academy and summit it, only to bond with those who came before you. Senpai.

The north had bitter winters, and if the students were to survive and stay happy, their bonds would be of the utmost important. The small man stirred.

"Let those who came before you spring you forward to the sky above so that ye may come forth from the sky itself. We strike like lightning, one by one but never alone."

His name was Headmaster Inazuma.

"Strike like lightning- that is our motto!" the well rehearsed Headmaster shouted. A few teachers chuckled. Inazuma was once the PE instructor at the Kumogakure Academy, and his spirit was still unchanged. Before long, all the expected students had summited the mountain and everyone accounted for. They'd be shuffled into the Grand Hall and given tea, before being sat into sections, undoubtedly their classes for the rest of their years at the academy.

Everyone was Genin, from Y1 all the way to Genin nearly ready to become Chuunin. This was the advanced genin development program Kumogakure had cooked up.

Jun, Yasu, Ookurikara, and Hideki sat in a row, amid the rest of the class. Just what awaited them today?

ShinobiTruth

Post by ShinobiTruth » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:38 pm

Ookurikara had been the first to arrive. It was just as much a matter of saving face as it was newfound drive to succeed.

The entire fact that he’d made the trip to this special academy felt like an out of body experience. It wasn’t too long ago that he had consigned himself to defeat, ready to walk into the administration office to hand his official resignation as a shinobi. He’d remembered how dejected he felt carrying that scroll in his hand. Ookurikara had thought he was just being sensible at the time. Three years as a genin with little success did not a sterling resume make for advancement as a shinobi. It took a chance meeting with the Raikage to truly understand what he was doing:

He was defeating himself. He was giving up on his dream. And for all of the conflict within himself, Ookurikara couldn’t live with that feeling... that he’d just quit.

Even as he stood in the audience and listened to what essentially amounted to a pep talk by Headmaster Izanami, Ookurikara wasn’t sure whether he was making the right choice. But he had to keep fighting for his dream. He had to prove to himself that all of the work he’d put in up until now hadn’t been a waste.... and that he wasn’t a waste.
Last edited by ShinobiTruth on Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

Post by Willoria » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:36 pm

Yasu felt increasingly uncomfortable. From the summit, to a stranger helping her over that last ledge, to now. Konegu had barely let up on his whispers, an odd thing for the genma within. So far he'd seemed to be content just watching her life, but she was slowly realizing he had been waiting for some kind of right time. She wasn't sure what made this it, but as she stood trying to listen to the Headmaster, she also heard the whispered of Konegu.

'You're the only one here with the proper tools to protect this village, child. You'll rise, and you'll show them.'

It took everything she had not to roll her eyes visibly, and instead simply sighed. 'We all have our own strengths, everyone here has a role to play to protect the village, not just me. Not just you.'

'Chchch... please child. you will learn to trust me and what I say. We can protect this village from everyone. One day your strength will rival your Raikage's and you will see.'

Yasu frowned, incredibly uncomfortable with the spirit's train of thought. 'Please, I need to listen to what's being said.'

'The only words that matter, are mine.'
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

Kabu

Post by Kabu » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:53 pm

Jun was very much not a morning person, that much being abundantly clear as she had made her way up the summit and now even moreso as she stood listening to the headmaster's speech, barely keeping her eyes open. Why did school have to be so early in the morning? It would be much better in the afternoons after she had had a good night's sleep and even maybe a nap or two. She let out a muffled yawn, hand over her mouth as she looked around at her surroundings, noting that there were only a small handful of other genin her own age around, though she did take note of several whom seemed anxious to just take their exams and stop having to take classes. As far as she was concerned they were the lucky ones.

The headmaster's speech soon ended and they were shuffled into the hall and finally sat down, Jun taking a seat next to Yasu and yawning again, this time a bit louder, as she laid her head on the girl's shoulder. "I'm so sleepy. It's way too early to be doing this. Wake me up in an hour or two." she whispered, closing her eyes, quickly seeming to actually be falling asleep as her breathing took on a sort of even rhythm.

It seemed that nothing at all had changed with her since their time in the primary academy, though really had anyone expected anything else?
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Nakano Kiyomi - #8E47AD], Nakano Ayaka - #0C1C8C
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Karagata yamada - #CE1126, Makura Ayame - #7251BC
Kabu's Test Thread

ShinobiTruth

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Ookuri was doing his best to not feel completely out of place. He was definitely one of the taller individuals, and he was almost certainly the oldest genin. The three people nearest to where he stood were at least three years younger than he was, easy. The one to his left looked particularly young... Was he even thirteen yet? His cheeks were still full, plump flesh not yet having given way to the tone and musculature of adolescence. He couldn’t say anything, of course. They likely wouldn’t understand. And even if they did, he wasn’t willing to gamble that they wouldn’t ridicule him. It took everything he had right now just to be here. Never mind explaining that his chakra would randomly sputter out because reasons.

His eyes turned to the two girls to his right. Both sharing long hair and soft facial features, and based on their interaction (one resting her head on the other’s shoulder), they were likely friends. The one thing that did catch Ookuri’s notice, however, were the red spikes that were growing from the more diminutive kunoichi’s elbows. He only kept his eyes on them for a moment before looking forward again. He was making sure to mind his own business as best he could. Where had he heard about those spikes before...? He’d been so focused on his training and holding onto his motivation that he’d not really been paying attention to much news around the village. Who was she, he wondered?

The image of glowing yellow eyes flashed through his mind. He temporarily rubbed one of his temples to ease the pain, his expression intense. He’d thought that refining his skills with ninjutsu and chakra control would make the images less frequent. Instead, they were increasing in frequency. He could feel his chakra fluctuate each time he saw it. What was this curse? What cruel destiny had decided to cause his body to conspire against him?

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Yasu sighed heavily as Jun leaned her head on her shoulder, reaching up with one hand to pat her friend on the head briefly and inwardly rolled her eyes. "Some things never change." she muttered, resting her arms in front of her. As Jun's breathing evened out, one of Yasu's hands trailed up her other arm, feeling across to the spikes on her elbows which made her frown visibly. 'I hate these things..' she thought to herself, shaking her head as she knew Konegu would inevitably speak up about it. But as she lamented the signs of the genma, she noticed someone staring out of the corner of her eye. She turned her head to look at him, wondering if it was the spikes he was staring at or the fact that Jun had chosen her for a pillow.

'You shouldn't hate them. They are signs of my presence, signs of my power and the power you will one day wield--why are you so bothered by a stare, child?' Konegu seemed suddenly distracted by her change in thought, and her own distraction by the boy. 'What does it matter why he stares?'

'Does he see me? Or does he see you?' the girl queried the genma in her mind, sighing to herself quietly. 'It makes all the difference in the world. I accepted your power because I thought it would help me... not make me invisible, or turn me into you.' If the boy looked her direction again she'd simply smile at him before looking forwards once more.

'These are hardly things to concern yourself with. I am the one locked within you, child. They will always see you first. But don't concern yourself with it. Your concern should be with learning my power and how to use it. That is where your strength will lie now. You want to prove your parents wrong don't you? Survive your coming trials, become stronger, and you'll prove them all wrong. You'll shine like a beacon to them.'

Yasu wrinkled up her nose, both loving and hating what the genma whispered into her mind. She wasn't sure if either were the right answer however.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

Kabu

Post by Kabu » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:50 am

For several moments Jun was fast asleep, though she soon found herself partially opening her eyes in response to the feeling that someone somewhere was staring over at her. ...Or maybe they were staring at Yasu instead, the thought causing her gaze to turn upwards towards her friend's face, turning her head just enough to follow Yasu's gaze, finding that there was indeed a boy staring over in their general direction, a much older boy at that. She felt that she was generally pretty good at reading people at a glance but this boy's thought process completely eluded her. Based on the way he quickly looked forward again, maybe he was just nervous, though she didn't have the foggiest idea of why, though one possibility was that he was just shy.

More important was that something seemed to be bothering Yasu, though she knew that if she asked right now she likely wouldn't get a straight answer. Quite a number of things seemed to have had been bothering her friend as of late and she felt kind of bad about seemingly ignoring it but she would get an answer once Yasu was ready to tell, she was entirely confident on that much.

Letting out another yawn she closed her eyes once more and attempted to go back to sleep, this time determined to not wake for anything unless she absolutely had to, though in that case surely someone would wake her.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:03 pm

"Shit shit shit SHIT!!" Ieyasu cursed at himself as he rushed at his top speed to the academy, realizing that he was late and had probably already missed the greeting ceremony. No doubt there were still people helping other students up the plateau to the academy proper, but in a blinding flash of movement he literally hopped over a dozen or so kids waiting in line and landed with a soft 'plop' on the plateau before continuing on into the grand hall. They can yell at me for being late later, gotta find my shit kickers! the man's thoughts ran as fast as his body did as he entered the hall, his eyes immediately glancing around for a sign dedicated to class 1A - His class.

And once he found it, he shuffled his way through the crowds to get to them, noting quite immediately that among his newfound students was his ward; Yasu. Makes sense I suppose... The village must know i'm one of her handlers, and want to keep her close to me even while being taught. But who are the others here? The young boy and the girl leaning against Yasu were unfamiliar to him, as was the rest of the class of about 12, but such was the way of this kind of thing he surmised. Now he had to come up with some kind of introduction didn't he... shit, he sucked at this kind of thing. "Heya, how's it going and all that. It seems i'm going to be your sensei. The name is Hatsume, Ieyasu, but you can call me 'Roku-sensei'." He crossed his arms and gave a small nod, content with his short and to the point introduction.

Seeing a chair nearby, he pulled it up and sat on it in such a way that the back was in front of him. Two of his arms leaned against the top of the chair while the other four reached around it and grabbed each other, interlacing fingers as if hugging the chair. "Let's go around and discuss some things about ourselves... Could be shinobi skills, could be hobbies or trades, could be what you ate for breakfast. Whatever you're comfortable telling the class. We'll start wiiiiith you." The six armed shinobi pointed to Ookurikara with one of his hands, signalling for him to start, though he also shot Yasu a small glance as he mentioned 'things they were comfortable talking about. The glance, if eyes could talk, would say simply 'Not that', and hopefully she would know what that was.
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

ShinobiTruth

Post by ShinobiTruth » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:30 pm

The classroom door opened abruptly, and Ookuri, who'd long since sat down, directed his attention to the instructor. It seems that he, on the far right side of the three-man extended desk, was seated by the two young girls who'd been standing next to him at the ceremony. He'd not expected to ever see them again and had hoped that he might be granted some sort of desk in the far back of the classroom. Ya know, where he could still pay attention but not stand out hopelessly like an infected wound on otherwise pristine flesh. Somehow, he'd managed to become even more tense and nervous than when he was standing amidst the other academy goers. He could hear many of the kids behind them whispering even as the teacher made his way into the classroom. Was it about him? Was it about the girl who sat next to him, the red spikes accenting her petite arms? All he wished was that he wasn't in the center of the entire classroom, and as if to kick him in the pants, voila, that's where they were.

He was, without question, the tallest, oldest person in the room aside from the teacher. It was silly that he put so much weight on such a trivial, vain matter, but he'd already faced enough antagonism from people who knew him well... or at least, people who were supposed to know him well. He'd learned how to deal with the same, tired criticisms and accusations of his brothers and sister. He was used to their choices in articulating his failures to him clear as day. He'd gained an immunity of some sort. But these were not his siblings. They had no clue who he was, how hard he'd worked, how much bitter defeat he'd fought through, just to hold on to this dream that so many had told him he could never reach. They knew nothing of the monster in his head, the face that had haunted his dreams ever since he was younger, or the constant frustration of one's body refusing to follow what you tell it to. They knew none of that. All they'd see is an adult amongst a bunch of teenagers and pre-teens, and their vicious imaginations would likely fill in the rest.

If almost on cue, Roku-sensei elected him first for making introductions. Fear threatened to overtake him, but he stifled it with a single, calming breath. Standing up, he spoke in a clear, controlled voice. "Hello, everyone. My name is Arashiyama Ookurikara. You may call me "Ookuri" for short. I specialize in Raiton, Suiton, and Ranton ninjutsu. I hope we can grow to become the shinobi we want to be together," he offered, ending with a polite bow before taking his seat. This in and of itself would likely cause confusion amongst the class. Arashiyama clansmen were known throughout the village to have incredibly bright vivid hair. It was impossible that they would have seen an Arashiyama clansman without that striking quality. He would have to simply learn to take the skepticisms of this group in stride, just like he did with his siblings. That's all there was to it.

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:42 pm

It wasn't until after she had taken her seat that Yasu realized she was between the boy she'd caught looking at her, and Jun. Of course she wasn't shocked when Jun went right back to using her as some kind of pillow, shaking her head and sighing as they waited for their instructor. As they waited she could almost hear Konegu shuffling around in her head. 'Hm hm hm... this one... very interesting indeed...' The spirit kept musing to himself it seemed, one of the few times Yasu had noticed he actively ignored her. She tried to be grateful for it, but it was difficult when he was both ignoring her and NOT keeping quiet. With a quiet sigh she was glad for the sudden distraction as their teacher came into the room... and it was Ieyasu. She was immediately feeling torn, wanting to be happy because it was someone she knew, but Konegu dampened her thoughts immediately. 'Oh look child, your one-day-murderer.' She wanted to roll her eyes at his words but instead closed her eyes briefly to avoid doing it and Ieyasu thinking it was at him. 'He cannot be trusted, and you know it. He will hold you back, keep you from your power, and when that doesn't work and my strength finally fills you, he will kill you himself.' Yasu kept her hands folded neatly in her lap, looking at Ieyasu almost sadly as he gave her that significant look and she knew exactly what he was silently telling her.

'As if I'd want to talk about him right now.' she thought to herself, hearing Konegu chuckle in the back of her mind. Before she knew it, it was her turn to talk and she gently gave Jun a nudge so she wouldn't fall off of her, before standing up and clearing her throat. "Uh... I'm Kenshin Yasu." she said almost meekly, clearing her throat again as she tried to work the nerves out. Her left arm was almost straight down at her side, her right running up and down her upper arm, pausing as she touched the spikes on her elbow that she was beginning to hate so very much. "I prefer Taijutsu... and uh..." she spared a glance at Jun who seemed to be barely paying attention, and then a glance at the boy on the other side of her briefly, triggering a blush to suddenly rush up her cheeks before she suddenly looked forward at Ieyasu again. "I-I-I....and I like to dance." When she was finished finally she sat down heavily, looking downward as if that was going to hide the flush of color over her cheeks when her blonde hair fell forward and hid her face.

'Oh nicely done.'

'Oh do shut up.'

Kabu

Post by Kabu » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:17 am

Jun was only the least bit aware of their teacher as he entered the room and introduced himself, noting the informality with which he did so. He didn't seem the type to be used to this kind of thing really but well, that was fine by her. She wasn't particularly great at formalities herself and having a teacher that hopefully wouldn't expect such out of her suited her just fine.

She suppressed another yawn, not wanting to be rude as she listened to the boy that was her and Yasu's neighbor introduce himself. Her classmates were whispering amongst themselves that he didn't seem to match up with the general description of the clan that he claimed to hail from, though she couldn't care less about that gossip. Well, it wasn't quite that she didn't care but rather that to her at least, it didn't matter what one looked like. There were many factors that could contribute to one's overall appearance and really she just wasn't the type to judge.

And then it came time for Yasu to make her own introduction or so it seemed, Jun quickly realizing what it was that her friend was trying to tell her with the gentle nudge, moving her head off Yasu's shoulder and resting her head in her arms which were now folded on the table, noting all the while that Yasu seemed strangely nervous, it becoming even more apparent as she went into her introduction, Jun herself unable to help a blush as the girl mentioned her dancing, the sight from that day still very vivid in her memory. Still though she smiled as Yasu finished speaking and took a seat, Jun taking a moment to give her an encouraging pat on the arm, hoping to provide some amount of calm to her good friend's nerves and/or embarrassment

And then it was her turn, she choosing not to stand like Ookuri and Yasu, though she did raise her head and look towards her teacher and classmates, some of whom she and Yasu had been classmates with before and from the looks on their faces had some idea of what she was going to say. "I'm Kyozu Jun. I enjoy cooking and sleeping and I'm not at all a fan hard work though when it comes to my duties I'll do my best to fulfill what's been asked of me." she said, upon finishing her statement, looking back towards Yasu a moment, thinking a moment before ultimately resting her head once again on the girl's shoulder, assuming she allowed her to do so, otherwise she would simply go back to laying her head on the desk, though either way this time she would be staying awake, some part of her very curious as to the things that their new teacher would have to say.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Ieyasu's eyes darted around at all of the faces before him, trying to gauge each and every one of the students that he now suddenly had to teach... he already felt sorry for them. Starting with the first kid he pointed to, who was noticeably older than the rest, Ieyasu found his matter of fact answer to be adequate... though a little stiff. He was nervous, that much was obvious, though not nearly as nervous as his ward was. He hadn't seen her stammer like that in a long time, clearly something was weighing on her mind, or in her case it might be someone. That damn spirit wouldn't stay quiet even here, during her first introduction. He let out a small sigh as the young woman resting on Yasu's shoulder was next, and as she spoke... he couldn't help but chuckle at her love of sleeping. A true lazy bones in his class... Oh, that'd be a treat in the future.

The rest of the students in his class stated whatever they wanted to state as their turns came and went, some discussing a penchant for shinobi arts while others discussed their love of mining or farming or smithing, and still others mentioned that they didn't like it here and wanted to leave. Well, it wasn't up to Ieyasu, so he simply shrugged at that mention. "Eh? not really up to me kid. I can tell you i'll be a lot more fun than those other teachers you might get though. Might want to at least try and stick it out with me, you might like it. Anywho, I guess I'll give a little about myself now... it's only fair. Ahem..." He took a second to reach behind him with one of his hands, removing one of his 6 fuma shuriken to show to the class. The weapon remained closed for a moment, allowing everyone to see the weapon folded up before he flicked his wrist and unfolded the weapon with incredible speed, showing it's true size.

"I can show you the basics in NInjutsu and Genjutsu, but I'll be honest... I'm all Taijutsu. I specialize in these fuma shuriken, which are attached to wires that I can twist and pull to manipulate the shuriken at a distance. Think of them like very deadly yoyos. They also make effective slashing weapons in close range while folded up, so it's pretty versatile. But outside of that, I'm also an expert glassblower and jeweler, so I make some pretty awesome jewelry that fetches high prices on the market. As for motivations and stuff, i'll never lie to you kids... It's all about the money for me. But that said, I earn my pay, so rest assured i'll bust my ass to teach you all the best that I can."

His words concluded, he took another look at the kids in his class and once more his eyes fell on the tallest, oldest student; the supposed Arashiyama. "So... Ookuri was it? Arashiyama... That's Ranton, right? You seem to be all in on the ninjutsu stuff, which is great and all but... What all would you guys like to learn about? Taijutsu is my specialty, but I can always brush up on other subjects to help you better understand them. Go ahead, everyone state what they hope to learn from me." Once again Ieyasu would sheath the fuma shuriken behind him and cross his arms in front of him, awaiting Ookuri's response first.
Active Characters
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

ShinobiTruth

Post by ShinobiTruth » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:30 pm

Ookuri had heard of the money driven Ieyasu before, though he knew nothing of him other than his name and his penchant for riches. Meeting him in person was certainly different than hearing rumors about him. For all his flaws, he certainly had to be skilled to be chosen as an instructor, and his large Shuriken were no laughing matter. With only two arms, they’d be a present threat. But with six? That’s enough mid-long range pressure to boggle the mind. He was certainly hoping he’d see how his strategy worked out in action. Still, this was neither the time nor the place to speculate on his Sensei’s combat style. For now, he simply needed to hold his tongue and wait to be addressed.

Ookuri has to say that he was intrigued by the sheer variety of students in the class. Many of them had interests and specialization that he’d not considered before. Assuming that his class didn’t turn on him the first chance they got, he might finally be able to get over the long slump he’d been in up to that point. Even his desk mates might be able to help him. Sure, the one on the far end seemed to have a less than stellar work ethic, but she was clearly here for a reason. And as he was only average in Taijutsu, perhaps the girl next to him might be willing to teach him when Ieyasu-sensei wasn’t available. It was also refreshing to see someone who was as nervous as he was.

His optimism soured a bit when Ieyasu chose him yet again to lead things off. He had to take a moment to think about what he really wanted. After taking a moment to compose himself, Ookuri broke his silence. "I’d like to continue improving in my skill with Ninjutsu and Chakra Control, sensei,” the young man stated. "I know I shouldn’t shirk other areas of skill, but maximizing my effectiveness in a narrow field will make me more immediately useful to the village.”

He left it at that. No one here knew about his internal struggle, and it was better that they didn’t. Maybe he simply had to continue fighting against the flashes-

His mind’s eye was clouded by another vision, but this time, it was different. Not only did it last longer, but he didn’t see only eyes this time. No, the face of a mighty creature, massive, ancient, and powerful, flooded his senses for a brief, few seconds. His gaze was affixed forward, but Yasu would see the veins on his neck momentarily bulge. More importantly, the image caused an emanation that her Genma companion, without fail, would detect. Without even realizing it, his secret had been betrayed by his own body.

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:40 pm

Yasu turned her head slightly to watch the boy beside her as he spoke, tilting her head as he spoke of something about his usefulness to the village. 'Why not just something he likes? Any of it would make him useful, I don't understand.' The girl was quiet a moment, knowing it was her turn to speak but she could feel Konegu pressing at the back of her mind, as if he had something to say, but for some reason he wasn't just coming out with it. She glanced at Jun who was resting on her shoulder again and sighed, looking forward at Ieyasu. "I would prefer to learn more about Taijutsu, Roku-Sensei." she said, speaking up with an odd confidence. The genma within had been distracting her enough she didn't really have time to let herself get nervous this time around. "I've been learning how to dance since I was very young, and I think that could lend very well to my training." she added, blushing slightly as she knew it wasn't a complete truth. She also wanted to learn more on how to use Konegu's power.

But as if on cue, it seemed Konegu couldn't wait any longer. Her eyes dropped to the desk as confusion crossed her face, but her expression seemed to freeze for several minutes. At least, that was what could be seen from the outside.

Within her mind she was suddenly dragged into the mindscape, finding herself standing on that eerie shoreline. Making a sound of frustration, the girl made her way to the building in the middle again, knowing that was where she would find him. She threw open the doors and strode past the red crystal breaking up through the ground and floor, through tables and decor, and stopped before the chair at the end of the room. It seemed this time Konegu had taken the form for the moment of a shrewd man with bright red eyes, though for some reason Yasu felt like they should have been blue. "Finally, I feel like I'm screaming to myself in here." he said with a devilish grain and a flip of his wrist, his voice an odd whisper but firm with authority.

"I'm in class, can't we do this later?" Yasu asked, crossing her arms as she frowned at him.

Konegu flounced out of his chair with a sign and walked down the two steps to look at Yasu, seeming to tower over her. "Later? Maybe." he said in that same voice, stepping past her as if getting ready to pace before suddenly coming to a stop and turning on his heel. "Or maybe, It needs to be said now." he added, pointing at her briefly. "That boy beside you.... my my my... something unique I think. You should... get to know him."

Yasu rolled her eyes, but before she could reply, it was all gone.

Yasu breathed in sharply through her nose and glanced to either side of her as she came back to her senses, her eyes lingering on the boy beside her. She reached a hand over discreetly, touching him on the elbow. "You okay?" she whispered. 'What in the world did Konegu mean by that? Why would he want me to get to know someone?' she thought to herself.

Kabu

Post by Kabu » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:23 am

While Jun was bothered and a bit worried by how distracted Yasu had seemed to be so far, she didn't have much time to worry about it, her attention in the moment having been captured by a fascinating sight, that of Ieyasu bringing out a fuma shuriken and mentioning his ability to control it through the use of wires. The thought of being able to actually control weapons in such a manner was somehow absolutely magical to her. It was truly unlike her but for perhaps the second time in just a few days, the first having been when she was helping Yasu to relax just the other day, she felt a fire burning in her belly. There was something she absolutely wanted, no... needed, to do.

"It may be difficult as I'm told my talent lies in Ninjutsu but I want to learn to fight like you sensei.Like being able to manipulate weapons and stuff." she suddenly called out as she rose her head and sat up straight, her classmates for the most part seeming to give her puzzled looks at her unusual levels of energy and excitement. This really was very much unlike her but she didn't mind one bit. She of course deep down still wanted nothing more than to go back to bed but for now, this much at least for now seemed to be enough to keep her awake and grab her attention, which in itself was a very rare thing, past teachers having typically failed to even get this level of eagerness out of her.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Ieyasu finally stood from the chair and paced back and forth a little bit as he looked over the room, listening to everything that was said by the class. Ookuri wanted to learn more ninjutsu, Yasu was more up his alley with the Taijutsu, and the young slacker liked his weapons and wanted to know how to use them herself despite sharing Ookuri's penchant for ninjutsu. The rest of the class answered in kind as well, genjutsu, ninjutsu, taijutsu, et cetera... it seemed the class was all to eager to delve into the shinobi arts. Ieyasu couldn't help but let out a small chuckle... how many of these kids were actually prepared to use those arts the way they were intended; against other opponents, likely to cause death?

Yasu's little spell hadn't escaped his notice either, he recognized quite quickly that the young shinobi was experiencing a moment with the beast inside her. He paused in his pacing for a moment, taking in all of the information presented to him before looking to his class as a whole, as a single entity. "Heh, interesting stuff. I've got a varied set of ninja in my class it seems, at least in terms of skillsets... But what about other opinions? I've already heard from a couple of you that you don't want to be here, at this academy, outside of the walls of Kumogakure. Does that mean you disagree with the Raikage's initiative here? Do any of you feel that this expansion, this concept of teaching all of Lightning Country the shinobi arts, is a bad decision?"

It was an interesting quandry that Ieyasu posed before his class: While Kumo wasn't the type of place that would crucify you for speaking ill of the Raikage, that didn't mean people typically did it openly in public. After all, he was still their leader, and he was still supposed to be respected by all, especially those who served within his shinobi forces. Did any among them have the courage to speak up against Hayate's decisions as Raikage, incurring the potential disapproval of their own classmates or any who might be eavesdropping... or even their own sensei?
Active Characters

ShinobiTruth

Post by ShinobiTruth » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:59 pm

His head pulsating after the episode he'd just suffered, Ookuri took deep breaths to try and calm the ringing in his head. What was that?! Never had he experienced the vision so vividly. Up until now, he'd only seen the smallest glimpse of the face that had tormented his waking and sleeping hours ever since he was born. He thought he'd more or less numbed himself to the sight of it, and yet there it was, now very nearly stealing the breath from his lungs. Tortured eyes flitted back and forth as he stared at the desk, searching in vain for an answer within his own mind. Was this... was this all a terrible hallucination? Was he legitimately going insane? The notion caused a pit to form in his chest-

A gentle touch on his elbow broke him from his thought prison, like softly awakening one from a nightmare. Ookuri's pupils were still visibly dilated from the strain that the torturous monster in his mind had imposed upon him as he looked to the source of the contact. It was... Yasu, was it? The young girl next to him, the one with soft brown eyes, not unlike his own... the kunoichi who liked to dance, asking if he was okay. For a split second, he was simply going to offer a vacant assurance. She was being nicer than most; it was the least he could afford for her concern. But when his eyes locked with hers, for a brief moment more, he saw something he hadn't seen since he'd spoken with Hayate-sama. Not pity, not frustration, not ignorance. He saw...

Understanding. Understanding? How? How would she...?

Recognition arose in Ookuri's eyes. Even if she could understand, somehow, this was neither the time nor the place to divulge such things, but he wasn't about to let this opportunity slide by. Something about this girl allowed her to see past what others could not. Perhaps she might hold the key to freedom from his curse? Nodding his head, to others, he would simply be giving those empty guarantees that he offered to the ignorant, those who simply pitied and didn't look further. But his lips silently mouthed something very different:

Later. Please, tell no one.

Looking towards Jun, the sudden burst of energy and excitement from the marathon sleeper served as a wonderful distraction from the brief silent exchange between he and Yasu. Ookuri allowed a small grin to grace his features. "I hardly know you, and I'm already interested to see what you come up with," he offered to Jun, a small bit of the encouragement he'd never received before meeting the Raikage. "If you put your mind do it, I imagine you'll come upon a style all your own. You might even surpass Roku-sensei, with time. Maybe you could combine the two arts, your ninjutsu and his weapon manipulation? It'd be a sight to behold, I'm certain."

The next question came as a bit of a breakpoint, as his classmates were hesitant to answer the question. He knew he was hardly qualified to say anything, but he figured that breaking the ice would allow people to more easily share their thoughts. "I recently had the privilege to spend some time with Hayate-sama," Ookuri started, speaking up so he could be heard. "He's the reason I'm here at this academy, and while I was with him, I learned about how things were for the people of this Country when the Daimyo ruled. Many of the privileges we've enjoyed here in the village for generations were simply dreams and wishes, things that they couldn't even imagine. They were given very little to subsist off of, and we shinobi were like sorcerers and deities... In many ways, we made them afraid. We would come in, completely disrupt their way of life, and in some cases, our presence would bring danger and strife to their villages, their homes. In one way or another, the people of this country have paid for the ignorance forced upon them by the previous government, sometimes in land, sometimes in belongings... sometimes in blood, often due to the influence of people that, in their eyes, could literally wipe them from existence without a thought."

Ookuri paused for a moment before offering the question that was the crux of his argument. "What if we had been in their shoes?" he asked pointedly, giving room for contemplation before finishing his reasoning. "I'm not going to pretend like I know everything about what Raikage-sama's plans are, and I'm not saying they're perfect. But I fervently believe it is the right thing to do to at least offer what we've had the privilege of holding exclusively to those who have never had any other hope than eeking out what existence they can from a country that never cared about them before now. We respect their choice if they say no, but we welcome them like the family we all claim to be if they say yes."

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Yasu nodded as she understood what he was trying to tell her, her hand slipping from his shoulder as she turned and gave her friend Jun a smile. She was glad to see something had perked the girl up and gotten her attention, unlike others she wasn't so shocked that something had finally caused her to speak up, after all she knew her better than probably anyone in the room. But Ieyasu's next question to the class brought confusion to Yasu's features, and that confusion only deepened as the boy next to her spoke. She was tempted to ask Ieyasu what he was talking about but, in truth, she was too embarrassed to ask what he was talking about.

And so instead of speaking up the girl fell quiet with a bit of a blush, giving her Sensei an embarrassed look before giving Jun a glance with the same expression. Her parents had raised her with the idea that should never be a shinobi, her entering an academy had been a rebellion in the first place, and so she had been raised without any mention or discussion of village politics.

Kabu

Post by Kabu » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Jun couldn't help the blush that crossed her cheeks at the attention she was receiving from her desk mates regarding her sudden burst of energy and excitement, the girl scratching her cheek in slight embarrassment. "Ehehe, I'll do my best." she responded to Ookuri's encouraging words and Yasu's smile. Ah jeez, it felt good to be getting recognition for the right reasons but it also was so embarrassing. Did more enthusiastic people than her feel like this all the time? Was it worth showing enthusiasm if this was the result?

Luckily for her a distraction soon came in the form of a question from their sensei, one that unsurprisingly seemed to bring a great deal of confusion to Yasu, not that she was really much different in this regard. She only had the vaguest clue of what he was talking about, having one time overheard her parents discussing it, but the little bit she did know wasn't nearly enough for her to have any kind of opinion. Though it seemed that Ookuri knew a great deal more on the matter, enough to have formulated some pretty strong opinions it seemed.

"Sensei, I'll be frank. I've got nothing. I only have the vaguest clue of what you're talking about and that's only because I overheard my parents one day. And frankly, I don't care much. We're still kids, some of us only tasting freedom for the first time. Deeply thinking about something like this is a lot to be asking of us."
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:24 pm

Ookurikara gave the most intricate and well thought answer regarding the subject, which didn't surprise Ieyasu to be honest. Given the boy's age and his status as a clan member, it made sense he would have the most in depth understanding of the village's politics. However between Jun, Yasu and a few other students, it was made abundantly clear that he was expecting a bit too much from these kids who were still just that; kids. He rubbed the back of his head with embarrassment for a moment as he realized how silly it sounded. "Eheheheh... Jun has a good point. You're kids, I shouldn't really be expecting y'all to have that deep of an understanding. But Ookurikara made a few valid points, and I want you all to consider them. Consider what it would be like to be in their shoes as you grow... consider what life would be like if you didn't have this opportunity, if you never even knew what a shinobi really was. I think that's an important lesson to remember, thank you for it Ookuri."

He smiled at the older boy, who so clearly felt out of place in this class of young children. Of course a few eyes were on him, some wanting to rib him and others just plain curious, but so far no one would speak up on it. It was just this vague feeling in the air, the feeling that something was out of place, and to a few of his students that 'something' was Ookuri. Ieyasu didn't see any problem with Ookuri's low rank and his time at the academy; after all, he'd seen genin two to three times older than Ookuri, people who either just weren't good enough to make those rank advancements or simply didn't want the extra responsibility. In his eyes, this was just a teenage boy who hadn't found his place yet... But he would. Ieyasu would make sure of that.

After all, more success was grounds for a pay raise.

Moving on from that subject, Ieyasu snapped his fingers as he rose from his chair to his full height and began pacing back and forth. "For now I think I have a relative grasp on you kiddos. I know your likes and dislikes, and I've heard of your skills and what you wish to learn. Of course I have a base curriculum I need to teach, but i'll spend extra time on the subjects that you all find interesting, and take extra time with those who ask for it when I can. That said... I've asked all the questions so far. Do you have any questions for me?" He looked among his class with extended hands as if to hug, or as if he was awaiting something. "Come on, there's no such thing as a stupid question after all. Please, now's the time."
Active Characters

ShinobiTruth

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:31 pm

Ookuri had spent far too much time around sinister whispers to not be able to catch their births in hushed breaths from his classmates. In a way, it was good to know. It gave him a rough idea who he'd be dealing with throughout the rest of his time in the academy, and though it was an injustice in itself that he'd have to face such unwarranted scrutiny, being prepared helped minimize the damage. He was glad that he at least seemed to have Roku-sensei in his corner. Being the oldest in the classroom did still have its advantages, however slim, and it seems that his open-mindedness on the subject had garnered him some modicum of respect from the instructor, his appreciation for the compliment shown with a silent nod once the jounin had referred to him in his following comments.

He had to admit that a large part of his thoughts were now on the true nature of the girl that sat next to him, Yasu. He wasn't staring at her, of course; such would be both rude and incredibly awkward. Still, Ookuri couldn't help but wonder how she could so keenly understand his situation while knowing nothing about him. The Arashiyama knew he hadn't made a mistake in recognizing that look in her eyes. Now that he knew what true understanding looked like, he'd never mistake it on someone's face ever again. Who was she? What allowed her to be so aware? Did it have anything to do with the red spikes coming out of her elbows? His curiosity abounded, but he would stifle it until the appropriate time. For all he knew, there could be things she wasn't in a position to share, and he had to respect that. He wasn't about to mess up his only solid lead on answers by being over-zealous.

When Ieyasu posed his question to the class, it gave Ookuri pause. He only really had time for one question, especially when the room was filled with other students. It had to be a smart question, something that would give him insight as to the kind of person Roku-sensei really was. Ookuri pondered on the question for some time before raising his hand. "What has been the greatest hurdle you've faced in your shinobi career up until now, and what have you done to overcome that roadblock?" he asked.

Leave it to Ookuri to ask the hard-hitting questions.

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Post by Taiga » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:29 am

OOC NOTESShow

While that's BNHA, Imagine a very dumbledore-ish voice for Headmaster Inazuma. ;D makes it more fun to read
Before the teacher could become any more acquainted with his students, the large and expansive room, which had been filled with chatter much like 1A's own suddenly fell silent. In the silence, everyone instantly turned towards the front . Once more, Headmaster Inazuma was at the front of the hall, his arms open. Time had passed quite a bit and it seemed it was time for the ceremony to continue to conclude.

"I trust that you have now all had some rest and relaxation, and perhaps become acquainted with your comrades. Please know these bonds, the ones you begin to forge from today will follow you your entire life. Our nation has been through a lot, but the spirit of lightning- the energy, the dance of electricity, has never ceased to exist. It is made possible by our friendships." the headmaster said smiling as his hands were outstretched.

"One such bond that I had in my days, was with someone you may all know, Hayate. I'm please to announce that he is here not only today, but also for the rest of this academic year as a guest teacher.". The whole room paused in silence as from behind the curtain emerged a man of normal stature- though of a presence beyond anyone else. He walked confidently towards the Headmaster, before slinging one hand around him and grinning like a school boy.

He knew that many did not wish to be here, and many were even afraid. Rebels who had opposed the rail roads or various projects led by Kumogakure had also made threats against the new academy. It was difficult time, but Hayate was sure that the staff and others would protect the academy.

"Headmaster Inazuma was my senpai in the academy. We also taught together in the academy in my early Jounin days." Hayate said as he squeezed the headmasters shoulder before letting him go. The light-hearted exchange would quickly change tones. "I will not lie in saying there are many oppose this academy, but I assure you I will see to it is safe in these dark times. To those who seek to put fear in the hearts of our students- I, you... all of us, will show them we are beyond fear." the Raikage said with a grin as he took his hat off, and with his free hand raised to his hip.

Inazauma spoke up, clearly, and somewhat seemingly embarrassed by the Raikage's behaviour.

"There was a second part to the schools motto, and Lord Raikage will announce it." he said as he held his pose, hand still in the air.

Hayate raised his hand high into the sky, pointing his finger up- like a "one" as he shouted. "Strike like lightning!. Inazuma followed, doing the exact same pose and a few seconds later yelling "Strike like lightning!.

Man, he's only a few years older than me but his smoking habit really made him look and sound old. Hayate thought as the two briefly paused.

In unison, the both yelled: "never alone!

As their hands swung downward in perfect unison, symbolizing lightning falling.

The students giggled at the sophmorish behaviour of their teachers, then upon remembering it was the Raikage and Headmaster, began to clap and holler.

"This concludes the ceremony. Senseis, you may now do as you wish with your students and dismiss when you see fit. Upon dismissal, please show them to the dormitories."

Return to “The Academies”