Alone by Your Side

Kota and Tousha meet the Elders of Yūyo

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:32 pm

It wouldn't be a long walk past the bridge. Even with Kota hauling the limp, bloodied form of the Haruko Brotherhood thug he'd violently introduced to the floor earlier that evening, they were making decent time. With all the attention drawn to the ruined shell that was once a lively inn near Yūyo's outskirts, the dirt and clay paths winding through the village's center were mercifully vacant. Fewer people meant fewer questions, and Tousha could only imagine the questions they'd be asked. A mere boy bodily hauling a full grown, battered man on one side and some pale, dark haired doof guiding another thug by a rope.

Nope, nothing unusual here, folks. Everything's going according to plan. We got this. Now please move aside, we need to talk to your infirm leaders about the inn exploding.

As the Elder's lodge came into view, the structure dimly illuminated by torchlight, the older man exhaled. His breath reeked of apprehension. "All righty, here we are," he said, scratching at the stubble riddling his jaw. "Remember, everyone, best behavior and all that. We're in this together. Go team." He shot a look over at the thug he was leading, who was busy still vacantly staring at the ground ahead of him. Then he stared at the unconscious man Kota had been dragging around town, Tousha's brow creasing with ever growing concern.

Lastly he glanced at Kota, who looked as if he wanted to burn the whole world down around him. Granted, the youth's face had been stuck like that since the moment they'd met, so nothing lost or gained on that front. Tousha decided to chalk that up as a success.

A man appeared at the lodge's front door, his form a dark silhouette in the light that sprang from the building's interior behind him. As Tousha and his merry band drew closer he recognized the man as Katashi, one of the Elder's youngest sons. The man's expression might as well been carved from stone, his features sharp, hard and impassive. Tousha waved and slipped on his most agreeable smile, which faltered only slightly as his efforts did nothing to soften Katashi's harsh expression.

"Evenin'!" Tousha called out, still holding a hand up in greeting. "We're here to-"

"I know why you're here, Shinobi," Katashi said, cutting away Tousha's sentence like an errant weed. The venom that dripped from his words could have killed a village twice the size of Yūyo.

Tousha stopped, his hand falling to the side. He couldn't help but grin sheepishly up at the man, attempting to salvage any semblance of courtesy. "Well, fantastic. Less small talk that way," he pressed on. "Should we just head in or-"

Again, Tousha's words were silenced. "If it were up to me you'd be strung up by your thumbs over the front gate," he said, his tone rigid. "We were doing just fine on our own and then you showed up." He shot a stare at Kota and added, "Both of you."

The pale, dark haired man's smile fell, his posture shifting as if to try to avoid the words being lashed out at him. He practically winced as Katashi continued by pointing out into the night, in the direction of the ruined building they'd left behind.

"Now look what you've done. You brought this here, not those men." He nodded at the Haruko Brotherhood thugs, fuming. "Wherever you and your kind go, there is only destruction. We never should have let you stay here, my father is a fool for not seeing what you really are."

Tousha's gaze fell to the path below, his eyes staring at something very far away.
Last edited by Toshi on Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharacterShow
Former Hokage • Konoha • Nara Tousha

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Sat May 16, 2020 1:26 am

To say Kotaru was annoyed with the unfolding of the evening's events was the understatement of the decade. At the beginning of the day he had no intentions of helping anyone; he had done enough of that in the previous few days, and he had thought stopping in this podunk town would give him the break he needed. But of course things didn't go as planned, and he found himself dragging along some lowlife that he really should have killed outright. It wasn't too late to take more violent action, but unfortunately he was now accompanied by some shaggy stranger and a nagging sense of duty.

'Being a bannin is really fucking annoying.'

At Tousha's mention of a team, the young Akari gave him a look that could shatter diamond. He held back a response; even though he was completely unamused he was in no mood to give Tousha a tongue lashing, no matter how much the man deserved it.

Kotaru lingered behind when a young man approached, setting down the thug and holding him in an upright position as the man and Tousha exchanged words. The boy's frown deepened when Tousha went silent, and he decided he'd had enough. The bannin released the thug and he fell over in the dirt. "Are you done being an ungrateful little shit or do you need more time?" His jaw clenched as enmity oozed from him like a thick and heavy aura. The man visibly recoiled but he still held his ground, but his anger paled in comparison to Kotaru's mere irritation. "If you think we brought this on then you're either blind or complicit. We - he - saved a lot of people from from what's clearly an organized group that's been kidnapping people. So save your yapping for this Brotherhood."

The boy paused as if daring the man to respond, but he wouldn't be given the chance. "Judging from your lack of wrinkles and cataracts, you're not the person we're here to see. So move out of the way."
Kao's CharactersShow
Akari KotaruBanninIwagakure no Sato Team 18 Jousai [color=#1fb8a3]
Komiya ShizuoJounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#209DD3]
Yanagida Yukino Special Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#a07ac2]
Ishiwara SetsunaChuunin Iwagakure no Sato[color=#E81D1D]
Enkouten Mai Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#CE5412]
Aisu Namie Chuunin Kirigakure no Sato [color=#5bc2d4]
Awai FusaeA-Rank MNKonohagakure no Sato[color=#D95FEA]
Important NPCsShow
Akari Kanehara Akari clan elder [color=#80A0FF]
Sakata KannaIwagakure Councilwoman [color=#3DA43B]
Hazuki Shuran Jinchuuriki researcher [color=#E854C0]
Enkouten Kaizen Iwagakure councilman, clan leader [color=#C65871]
Rock Country Daimyo [color=#AC4A4A]

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Sat May 23, 2020 8:02 pm

Kota's words pulled Tousha back into the moment. Tousha didn't have a lot of color in his face to spare but what little he possessed drained away in a hurry. To his credit the Iwa Shinobi had agreed to play nice with the village's Elders, and Katashi definitely didn't fall into that category by a country mile. He couldn't even blame Kota because, amicability aside, the kid wasn't wrong. The younger Shinobi definitely wasn't winning any diplomacy awards but his ability to cut to the truth of things was admirable.

Admirable. Not subtle.

Somehow Katashi mostly held his ground against the Iwa Shinobi's tongue lashing, every pore exuding indignation as Kota spoke. The villager's brow creased with an almost inhuman rage, his features contorting oddly in the dim torchlight. Tousha's thin eyes followed Katashi's hand as it subtly wandered to his waist where a long dagger waited in its sheath. The older Shinobi took a step forward instinctually, his body inconspicuously shifting to dart towards the Elder's son before he got himself hurt.

"Not good," Tousha thought as Kota demanded that the villager move aside, belittling his importance in the process. The seasoned Shinobi could practically taste the beginnings of a fight on the cool night air.

"Why don't you make me, runt?" Katashi shot back with a chilling calmness, his fingers finding the dagger's handle. "Show everyone here what Shinobi do best and --"

"Enough, Katashi."

The voice seemed to diffuse the tension in an instant. It was calm and patient, yet the immovable weight of it held an authority that was only tempered after decades of practice. A hand rested itself on the young villager's shoulder only a moment before an elderly man emerged from the hut's doorway. He stood with a poise and grace that seemed as effortless as breathing, something made all the more impressive given his advanced age. He was garbed in a simple kimono robe of navy blue, his long, gray hair pulled into a loose bun that rested near the top of his wrinkled head.

Katashi turned and said, "But father, these men, they--"

"I am well aware of who these men are and what they're doing in front of my lodge well past my bedtime," the Elder said, cutting the boy off once more. "They are our guests tonight, my son. Have you forgotten how we treat guests in Yūyo?"

More than any punch to the gut could ever hope to achieve, the old man's words knocked the air out of Katashi's bravado. The young man seemed to crumple under his father's stare. "No, I have not forgotten. I apologize."

The older man nodded and turned to look out into the night, where Kota, Tousha, and the two Haruko Brotherhood thugs stood. The faintest of smiles touched the Elder's lips as his gaze lingered on Tousha, who couldn't help but smirk in turn.

"I am sorry for my son's behavior. He is so concerned for the village's wellbeing that his manners escape him." the aging man began. Katashi stared down at his feet as the Elder carried on, shooting a deliberate look at Kota. "I don't believe we've had the pleasure of meeting, young sir. I am Chinen Hiroshi, an Elder of Yūyo."

A wry twinkle caught Hiroshi's eye as he added, "I hope my wrinkles and cataracts are to your liking."
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:59 pm

Katashi’s slight movement to his waist didn’t escape Kotaru’s notice. It didn’t take much to suppress the instinct to reach for his own weapon but Kotaru certainly considered liberating a finger or two from the man’s offending hand. Instead of going on the defensive the boy scoffed, the breathy sound ending in a small, amused chuckle. He was quite talented when it came to provoking others. Whenever someone brought up his small stature he knew he had successfully gotten under their skin. Kotaru was certain he could destroy this man in seconds, but that would only make the already delicate situation crumble into an mess beyond salvaging.

Thankfully for Katashi the presence of his father was enough to calm the man and diffuse the situation - not that Kotaru particularly wanted the exchange to end so amicably. He was still in a sour mood, to say the least, and the target of his ire had already temporarily shifted from the Haruko Brotherhood members to this chump who was only as intimidating as his father allowed.

He turned his attention to the old man and despite himself the Akari smirked. “You have more than enough wrinkles but the eyes need work. I’m Kotaru of Iwagakure.” He took the introduction as an invitation inside the household, but before he made his way past Tousha and the Elder he leaned over the thug he had dropped earlier, then nodded toward Katashi. “Mind taking him inside? I dragged him all the way here after brutally knocking him unconscious, and that’s a lot for a ‘runt’ me in one hour.” With that the young bannin gave Katashi two heavy, possibly painful pats on the arm and then began to make his way inside.

Addressing Tousha and Hiroshi, he began with,“You two seem friendly, based on those little looks you two gave each other. Makes sense, since Just Tousha seems to be friendly enough with nearly everyone in - Yūyo, right? - despite being a shinobi from another hidden village, but I digress. That just will make it slightly less awkward when we tell you that those Haruko Brotherhood fuckers are probably coming back at some point to raze this place. It doesn’t help that the thug I was carrying probably won’t make it. Bleeding on the brain and all that. They don’t seem like the ‘revenge-for-my-fallen-brethren’ type but, who knows.”

Kotaru found the first comfortable sitting area and made his way at home, pulling his legs up so he could rest his elbow on his knee. “Don’t mind me, have your old guy pleasantries. But at some point I’d love to hear your plan.”
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:39 pm

Deep, earned lines engraved Hiroshi's face as he smiled at Kotaru's introduction. "A pleasure," the village Elder said simply, his tone amicable. Even as the Iwa Shinobi ordered the still very apparently flustered Katashi to bring the unconscious Brotherhood member inside the old man's disposition remained unchanged. He was still and unbothered in a way that reminded Tousha of the ancient oaks that grew back home, in Konoha.

"Please do as the young man asks, Katashi," the Elder reinforced, answering his son's look of disbelief and annoyance. Katashi opened his mouth but a fraction to protest, thought better of it, and nodded in understanding. Without another word Katashi hauled the unmoving and bleeding Brotherhood member onto a shoulder with noticeable effort. Before he could bring the unconscious man inside Hiroshi added, "Make sure his wounds are tended to. Ruffian or not, I will not have a man dying under this roof if it can be helped."

With the subtlest of bows Katashi disappeared into the lodge, his task in tow.

Once again, Hiroshi smiled warmly as Kotaru made his opinion on this whole Haruko Brotherhood clear as crystal. And, at the mention of partaking in 'old guy pleasantries,' the Elder let loose a dry, genuinely amused chuckle. "How very kind. Thank you, young Kotaru. But I believe time is of the essence, and those pleasantries will have to go unresolved. For now."

With that, the Elder motioned Tousha to join them in the lodge before slowly, deliberately making his way to a large, comfortable looking cushion. The village Elder settled almost cozily into his seat, grunting in an old man fashion. Tousha quietly slipped into the room, allowing the Brotherhood thug he'd been toting around to find a relatively comfortable spot in the corner to sit down and lean his back against.

As Tousha was finding his own seat, a small cushion resting next to a plain but sturdily built low standing table near the center of the room, Hiroshi asked, "Can I interest either of you in a cup of tea? I've found that it helps make uncomfortable discussions a little more tolerable."

Tousha perked up at the offer, delighted. "Tea sounds lovely. Thank you, Hiroshi-san."

The Elder nodded and turned to Kotaru. "And for you, young sir? Do you require anything before we begin?"
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Wed May 31, 2023 5:52 pm

Kotaru rolled his eyes, growing increasingly impatient. Not only did the boy not want any boiling leaf water or anything else, but he saw a refreshment break as a delay of productivity. This was one of those ‘old guy pleasantries’ he wanted to avoid. So much for the old man understanding that time was of the essence. “No, I don’t. So let’s not waste time. He did it.” The child bannin jerked his head to the side, gesturing towards the still dazed brute sitting obediently against the wall.

“There I was, eating the least-spicy spicy chicken around for miles, when that guy and his neanderthal buddies crawled through the door and demanded tribute in the form of ‘able-bodied men.’ Volunteers, they said. Then I got dragged into it for not paying enough attention to them, then he Kotaru then jerked his head towards Tousha, “bumbled in and made things worse, and then the leader blew up my dagger with chakra and got away.” As if to prove his recount of events, the young bannin pulled out the damaged weapon and let it drop to the floor. It hit the wood with a dull clatter, and Kotaru stared at it pensively for a moment before continuing.

“Look, I would much rather go home. But unfortunately I have responsibilities to this country and I’d never hear the end of it if I let those bastards run wild and explode things because of piss-poor chakra control. Luckily for you I’ll do almost anything to avoid being chewed out and doing paperwork.” Kotaru sighed heavily, already weary from the conversation he started. All he needed was enough information to smoke out this so-called Brotherhood turn and he could promptly turn them into a pile of smoldering ash. He could certainly take care of this on his own, but there was also the matter of Just Tousha. He couldn’t let a foreign shinobi galavant in the boonies of Earth Country unchecked. A potential enemy with local friends could later pose a problem.

”So, again. I’d love to hear your plan before our dear captive’s friends come back.”
Last edited by Kao on Wed May 31, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:40 am

Hiroshi raised two fingers and smiled appreciatively at a young woman who had appeared in the room's inner doorway, looking equal parts confused and concerned. She simply nodded and shot uncertain glances at Tousha, Kota, and finally the heavily lidded Haruko Brotherhood goon before disappearing deeper into the dwelling. The elderly man's expression rested into an impassive stare as Kota recounted the events of the evening, making sure not to gloss over any unsightly details.

At the mention of a certain dark haired individual making the situation worse by waltzing, blissfully unaware, into it, Tousha's mouth pulled into a hard, flat line. Hiroshi's eyes twinkled with an ounce of bemusement but he remained mercifully quiet while the Iwagakure Shinobi continued speaking.

When Kota had finished, clearly growing more impatient by the minute, Hiroshi closed his eyes and nodded solemnly. Tousha recognized the look of a man who had reached a difficult truth. A reality he could ignore no longer. It was almost mournful in a way, as if the flickering flame of hope for a peaceful resolution had finally been snuffed out for good. The Konoha Shinobi empathized with the Elder more than he knew in that moment, though he tried not to let himself dwell on it for long.

"I am sorry that those men ruined your dinner, young man. Unsatisfactory as it was," Hiroshi began, his seasoned voice genuine. "Just as I am sorry about your damaged blade. You have done this village a great service by protecting its people from those who would wish them harm, and for that I am eternally grateful."

Hiroshi, still seated, bowed deeply to Kota while raising his hands palms up as if holding two plates. Those hands slowly met under the man's bowed head, fingers pressed flat against each other. A sign of absolute humility in Yūyo, reserved only for displays of the highest respect and regard. Instinctively, Tousha bowed his head to the older man as if acknowledging the weight of the gesture.

The Elder straightened once more, smiling warmly at Kota. "Please allow me to show our thanks by having it restored. We have many fine smiths in Yūyo, and one or two who are truly gifted."

At this, the young woman from earlier returned. She held a bamboo tray with two small clay cups balanced atop it, steam trailing and swirling as she walked. She served Tousha first, who gladly accepted the tea with another small bow and a reassuring smile. She then gingerly handed Hiroshi his own cup before bowing deeply and quietly leaving the room.

The two old men mirrored each other, clearly practiced in the art of tea enjoying, and smelled the drink's pleasant aromas before lightly tipping their cups and sipping with contentment.

Hiroshi finished his sip first and leveled a look at Tousha. "Bumbled, eh?" he asked flatly.

Tousha cleared his throat, nearly choking on the tea. "'Bumbled' is a little harsh," the Konoha Shinobi replied.

Silence. More staring. Another sip from Hiroshi.

"An argument could be made that some bumbling occurred," Tousha admitted quietly into his cup.

While Tousha visibly grappled with his life choices Hiroshi finished a deliberate sip of his tea, placed the cup on a short legged table, and turned his attention back to Kota. "For months the Haruko have come to our village, offering better lives to those who would join their cause. What that cause is I cannot say, but until very recently they have been..."

Hiroshi trailed off, his wrinkled face twisting as he groped for the right word. "Certainly not friendly, I can assure you, but they weren't blowing the walls off of any inns either."

Tousha turned to Kota and said, "Or threatening to bash in any heads. From what I could gather they were just another band of mercenaries looking to bolster their number, maybe convince the Elders to pay for their 'protection.' But after tonight I agree with you, my new best buddy. Something must be done. Soon." Then the Konoha Shinobi leaned over to Kota a hair and muttered, "Can't stand paperwork myself. Just awful stuff. The worst."

The village Elder smiled warmly at the two Shinobi and raised his hands in another gesture of respect. "My plan, young man, is to humbly request the assistance of you both, if I may have it. If we may have it. Please find where the Haruko Brotherhood has gathered. Please discover their intentions. And most importantly, please try to bring my people home without any unnecessary bloodshed."
Last edited by Toshi on Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:10 pm

For the briefest moment, any semblance of vitriol drained from Kotaru’s expression. He watched Hiroshi with blank, slightly widened eyes as the man bowed his head in an unfamiliar gesture of reverence. In the two years since becoming a bannin of Iwagakure, his shiny new burdensome title had brought with it more attention than he had ever been comfortable with receiving. The normally reclusive sixteen year old, suddenly thrust upon an illuminated pedestal, was forced to endure everything from fearful submission to pretentious genuflection. Eventually, through great effort, he had learned to read people’s intentions and separate the genuine from the duplicitous. Hiroshi was seemingly one of those rare men who was unabashedly sincere.

Despite the revelation, Kotaru’s stony glare quickly returned when he considered the man’s offer. Grimacing slightly at the thought of some strange smith tending to the dagger, he initially shook his head. He wasn’t a particularly sentimental person, but this was an exception. The weapon was one of the first gifts he’d ever received from his first friend, along with the necklace tucked beneath his collar. He was loath to let anyone other than his best friend touch it, but accepting the offer was probably the mature and diplomatic thing to do. Reluctantly he changed his answer and murmured, “Alright, fix it if you want.” It was the closest thing to appreciation Hiroshi would receive.

The older men then gave up a mere pittance toward the offering of information that Kotaru had demanded. He cut his eyes toward Tousha, unamused at being deemed his ‘new best buddy.’ These two were so chipper and warm considering what awaited beyond the boundaries of the village. And then, to Kotaru’s chagrin, Hiroshi made a request that he felt bordered on unreasonableness. “No ‘unnecessary bloodshed,’ huh?” he echoed as he slid from his perch. “That’s not much of a plan. Plus it’s not how I usually do things.” He walked forward, his footsteps slow and silent against the mottled wood floor. Humming to himself, he began to glow with a pale blue, flickering light. If they couldn’t offer him any direction the young shinobi would have to start by doing what he did best.

Kotaru stopped in front of the Elder, locking eyes with the man. After a long moment of contemplation he made a show of relenting. The boy shrugged his shoulders and clicked his teeth, then turned to make his way toward their captive. “But since you asked so nicely, old man - sir - I’ll do my best to keep showing restraint.” He made his way to the Brotherhood thug still sitting dumbly in the corner, and he loomed over him until the man met his gaze. “I’d be lying if I said it comes easy to me, though. Truth is, I prefer things bloody. Or on fire. Depends on what I’m doing. But lately I’ve had to do things a bit more…subtly?” He sat on the last word as if he didn’t quite have a grasp on what it meant. “It’s been an adjustment, for sure. But I’m a fast learner.”

Once satisfied that he had the man’s full attention, Kotaru squatted so they were eye level. After glancing at Tousha he began with, ”Let’s see if you are, too. We’re gonna try this again. Without interruption, hopefully. What’s your name?” There was hesitation melded with fear there, concentrated in the man’s eyes. The boy had, of course, already tried questioning him. But unlike before, the cruelty was mostly absent. Still, the man peered around Kotaru to shoot a worried look toward Tousha and the Elder. ”It’s not a trick question.”

The kid wasn’t glowing anymore, so that was a good sign, at least. “G…Ginta.”

Kotaru smiled, pleased for once. ”Nice. Got a wife, Ginta? Any kids?” Ginta shook his head a little too quickly. As he did, his face twisted in discomfort, and Kotaru turned his ear toward the man theatrically. ”What was that? Speak up.”

“No, I don’t, I d-,” Suddenly he gave an agonized groan and doubled over, and his breaths rattled in his chest. With widened, terrified eyes he looked up toward Kotaru once more. For a moment he thought the kid had attacked him, but Kotaru hadn’t moved. He maintained the same pleased expression, the same unnerving smile. ”Try again.”

“Yeah, a wife, four girls.”

“Man, you’ve been busy.” He spoke rather flatly, and he waited until Ginta’s breathing returned mostly to normal before continuing. “Where are you from?” Ginta responded with something or other, some nothing village near the southern border. He was far from home. “Where’s your leader from?” The man stuttered that he didn’t know, but as soon as the words left his lips he cried out in pain, this time moving to grasp at his stomach. The bannin licked his lips, tongue abnormally black, and waited for the newest wave of pain to pass.

“Please stop!”

”I’m not doing anything, Ginta.” He showed the man his palms, then the back of his hands. He even went so far as to raise his empty hands for the old men to see, and then shifted his body so that his elbow rested on his knee and his cheek was nestled against his palm. By this time, his smile had faded. “That’s all you. You’re freaking out cause you’re not really being honest, I think. Probably some kind of trauma response after all that’s happened.”

“I can’t tell you!” Kotaru expected the man to have yet another shock of pain, but when it didn’t come he tilted his head, curious. He reworded the question only for Ginta to give the same response, this time with deliberate emphasis. After a short staring contest Kotaru stood up, once again taking up an expression of vague annoyance. Working on a hunch, asked a few more questions and Ginta caught on surprisingly quickly that lying to this young shinobi wasn’t in his best interest. But whenever there was a question regarding the Brotherhood, Ginta’s eyes flashed with fear and he swore he couldn’t answer.

Kotaru turned towards his new friend, lips pulled into a tight line. “What about you, Just Tousha? What do you know about what’s going on here?”
SpoilerShow
The Whole Truth
S-Ranked Status Genjutsu
After performing the needed seals, Kotaru will speak on any topic relating to truth and lies. Once the targets hear this, any time they tell a lie or stray from the truth, they will feel an agonizing pain in their chest. The pain will feel like being stabbed several times in quick succession while simultaneously being burned severely, and the targets will also find it very difficult to breathe without wheezing. The sensation will peak as long as they are not telling the truth, and lessen in intensity when they stop lying. The jutsu lasts 9 posts.
Last edited by Kao on Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:13 pm

Both men watched as the Iwagakure Shinobi walked towards Hiroshi, the young man's form igniting with a pale blue light that seemed to flicker with its own bright annoyance. The chakra cast the room in a ghostly light, giving it an otherworldly ambiance. Tousha slowly sipped at his tea with Kota's sudden display of power. A pair of dark, intent eyes peered over the wooden cup's rim, fixed on the source of that light.

Hiroshi remained seated, stalwart in the face of Kota's storm. Like a great stone cliff unyielding to a roiling sea the Elder met the young Shinobi's scrutiny and didn't so much as blink. The shadow of a smile touched his lips from behind the tea cup watching the old man hold his ground.

If there was any fear in Hiroshi, Tousha couldn't spot it.

It seemed Kota came to the same conclusion after a few moments, turning his attention instead to the Haruko Brotherhood grunt propped up quietly in the corner. Both men remained silent as the Iwagakure Shinobi explained his preferred methods for dealing with situations like these. Tousha didn't have a leg to stand on and he knew it. He'd shed more than his fair share of blood, and fire was an element he understood all too well. Better than most, he'd wager.

So when Kota shot a serrated glare his way and claimed there wouldn't be any interruptions this time, Tousha relented and closed his eyes before taking another drink. The Nara was glad it wasn't something stronger, however. It took all of his self discipline to allow Kota to interrogate the bound man with what had to have been a very powerful Genjutsu. The seasoned Konoha Shinobi could practically smell the grunt's fear in the air, tinged with the unmistakable scent of chakra at work.

After Ginta the grunt had revealed that he had a wife and four daughters Hiroshi's expression became severe, his already lined face deepening with a rage Tousha could only fumble to understand. The old man made a move to stand, to attempt to stop Kota from torturing the poor man under his own roof, but Tousha held up a stern hand. Hiroshi looked at Tousha, who wore a pained mask of understanding. The Nara's eyes seemed to say 'I don't like it either but we need to know more.' Hiroshi, still moving to stand up, composed himself and sat back down on his ornate cushion. The Elder's face became impassable and stoic once more, save for the fuming in his soul.

Tousha scratched at his stubbly beard thoughtfully, rolling Kota's question in his mind for a handful of long breaths before speaking up. "Ginta," Tousha began, his tone reserved, "This 'leader' you serve. Did he..." Tousha narrowed his eyes, trying to think of the best way to phrase his next words very carefully. The Konoha Shinobi had a hunch about what was going on with the grunt's evasiveness but if he was wrong it could be disastrous.

Worse, if Tousha was correct, it would be disastrous if he messed this up.

Tousha crossed his arms and asked, "Did your leader conduct some kind of initiation when you joined the Brotherhood? Something that you didn't quite understand, maybe?"

Recognition ignited in Ginta's eyes, but the man remained silent aside from his ragged breathing. He was obviously terrified to speak of anything relating to the leader of the Haruko, but it seemed as though Tousha's question struck true.

"Shit," Tousha muttered solemnly, his brow furling with concern. "I think I know what the problem is, and I might be able to do something about it, but I'm going to need you to trust me." Tousha stood up, placing his tea on a nearby table. He nodded slowly at Hiroshi and added, "No bloodshed. You have my word."

The Elder nodded silently in return. Ginta seemed to work through his situation, weighing his options. The grunt shot an anxious look at Kota, and then back at Tousha, and said, "I-If you can help me then I'll help you. Anything so I can see them again."
Last edited by Toshi on Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:10 am

Kotaru watched, unblinking, as Tousha carefully chose his words to question their captive. The man seemed to have the same suspicions as the young bannin. It certainly wasn’t a huge leap to infer that a man with access to chakra could also have knowledge of a class of jutsu that could prevent people from speaking on certain topics. But those sort of techniques weren’t something that any schmuck could pick up after a few training sessions.

The young Akari sighed. Rogue shinobi were such a nuisance.

A rogue shinobi in the area was, of course, not the only possible explanation. But it was the most likely, and it was exactly the kind of situation that Kotaru was best equipped to handle. Usually. When Tousha actually promised to approach the situation without bloodshed, Kotaru blinked several times in disbelief. In his experience, bloodshed was exactly what they needed. The boy rolled his eyes and then directed his chilly gaze toward Ginta. Tousha’s assurance had the thug suddenly much more compliant. After a brief silence, Kotaru groaned.

“I’ll do my best,” he deadpanned. Normally he would avoid making such an uncharacteristic promise, but Tousha’s confidence intrigued him. Kotaru’s predilection for violence wasn’t just due to his unmerciful personality. He had a very specific skill set; sometimes killing was quite literally the only way he could solve things. Unless genjutsu was the problem here (and it wasn’t; he had surreptitiously made sure of it during his interrogation), there wasn’t much else he could do. Tousha, on the other hand, thought he could handle this without raining down death and destruction. Kotaru certainly couldn’t pass up an opportunity to observe more of the man’s skills.

He shoved his hands in his pockets and shrugged. “Go on then. Tell us more about how we’re gonna help him.”
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:39 pm

While Kota gave his blessing, Tousha was busy psyching himself up. The dark haired man rolled his head in exaggerated circles to loosen his neck, then crossed an arm across his torso to stretch out each shoulder. Tousha smirked grimly at the younger Shinobi and said, ”You’ll see if I’m right. Or if I’m wrong, I guess.” Then he tilted from side to side, twisting at the waist before adding, ”Either way, it isn’t going to be subtle.”

The vagabond patted the table in the center of the room and angled a nod. ”Take off your shirt and grab a seat, Ginta,” Tousha instructed, his usual carefree tone tinged with a hint of professional concern. To the Brotherhood member’s credit, Ginta did as he was told with little hesitation. The man slipped off his shirt, walked across the room in silence, and took a seat at the edge of the table.

With one last crack of the knuckles, Tousha rounded off a string of hand seals with mechanical but caution precision. ”No matter what happens, try to stay still,” he warned. Ginta simply nodded in response.

The vagabond’s hands glowed with radiating light as he placed them on Ginta’s shoulder. Tousha closed his thin eyes and breathed deeply, his expression smoothing with meditative calm. Hiroshi, still seated, stared unwaveringly at the Konoha Shinobi as the same light bathing the room began seeping into Ginta’s body.

After a handful of quiet moments, Tousha’s chakra touched something foreign. Like happening upon a great slumbering beast, Tousha instinctively pulled away from the unfamiliar chakra slowly. However, despite the Shinobi’s caution, that small disturbance was enough to spring an expertly laid trap.

A strange symbol emerged on Ginta’s left shoulder blade as if surfacing from a dark, unseeable depth. The man groaned in pain as the seal seemed to grow angry of its own accord, emanating a palpable aura of cruelty. The air around them all seemed to grow murky with the Fuuinjutsu’s reckless ferocity.

Tousha cursed under his breath, his hands moving to encircle the curse seal that was wracking Ginta with radiating waves of pain. The man screamed and convulsed as Tousha’s own chakra began attempting to contain the increasingly powerful Fuuinjutsu. Dark, almost necrotic looking veins began spreading under Ginta’s skin in every direction from the foreign seal. The Konoha Shinobi’s brow furrowed with concentration as his efforts doubled, not only attempting to disperse the seal’s menacing aura but also halting the spread of whatever foul chakra the Fuuinjutsu was attempting to pump into Ginta’s entire body.

”Grahh-Aaaah!” Ginta howled, obviously trying his best to remain still but unable to fight off his body’s natural pain response.

Tousha shot a look to Kota and yelled over the Brotherhood member’s shouting. ”It’s worse than I thought,” he said, voice strained with effort. "Hold him!"
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:46 pm

Initially, he didn't move. Tousha's cries for assistance, for the briefest moment, went unanswered. Instead Kotaru weighed his options as Tousha struggled with whatever chakra had laid dormant within their captive. Dark, spindly veins snaked from the seal, spreading across the man's pale and scarred skin like a tainted river cutting through a barren countryside. Kotaru knew almost nothing about the workings of fuuinjutsu, but he could at least recognize a seal when he saw it. And this seal, it seemed, was a doozy. Ginta bit back cries of pain as Tousha investigated, and the foreign shinobi seemed to have trouble keeping the malevolent energy at bay. With each second that ticked by, the air seemed to thicken and grow heavier with near palpable rancor. Kotaru bristled, and the hairs on his forearms stood on end. Whoever made that fuuin had saturated with enough intense hatred to pique even the Iwagakure bannin's interest.

Kotaru moved toward them, each silent footstep accompanied by several hand seals. By the time he was only a foot away from the struggling pair he had finished the complicated set of seals, and he placed a cold hand on top of Ginta's head and gently forced the man to tilt his head toward Tousha. He then whispered, too low for Tousha to hear, "Relax, Ginta." The effect was near immediate. Ginta's eyes glossed over and he went slack jawed, the apparent agony in his cries lessening until he went silent and seemingly entered a trace. But even as his body went limp it was clear he was still at the mercy of the seal. His muscles still danced and spasmed erratically as the fuuin's corruption continued to spread. Ginta's mouth was still locked in a silent scream for pain he momentarily couldn't feel.

"I'd hurry if I were you," Kotaru growled as he took a few cautious steps back. "That won't stop whatever damage you and that seal are doing to him." By that point Hiroshi looked at though he wanted to stand to his feet and demand the men to stop. The old man's fists were clenched so tightly that it seemed his papery skin would soon tear, and his frown threatened to create new permanent wrinkles in his forehead. But he held firm, and Kotaru recognized that look that the old man levied at Tousha. It was a look of faith, of trust that had been earned and never broken, and the thought that an outsider could forge such a bond with a Rock Country citizen only deepened Kotaru's suspicion. That look that bordered devotion only added to the feast that fed the young man's distrust.

No matter how wary he was of this Tousha, Kotaru was set on letting the man handle this particular situation his way. After all, the only way he knew how to help someone with an unwanted seal on their body was to cut it away. And if that didn't work, well. He had only promised no bloodshed. He was more than happy for the possibility to explore less messy ways to dispose of people.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:52 pm

There was a shred of a moment in which Tousha was certain Kota wasn't going to help him. The Konoha Shinobi could practically hear the boy's mental gears whining over Ginta's pained wails as he weighed his options and, mercifully, walked over to the table rounding off a string of hand seals. Tousha watched as Kota placed a hand on the writhing Brotherhood member's head, whispered something he didn't quite catch, and felt Ginta's body relax under his touch. Slack jawed and vacantly staring at the floor under Kota's Genjutsu, the man sitting on the table settled into something half resembling peace.

Tousha knew this reprieve was only for the other three people in the dimly lit room. Ginta was still in agony, and the Fuuinjutsu clawing tooth and nail against the vagabond's attempts to contain it was proof enough that this fight was far from over.

"Working on it," Tousha said, all but lost in his focus. The Konoha Shinobi poured more of his chakra around the malignant seal and forced the brackish veins to recede. There was a grim fascination tugging at Tousha's mind as the foreign seal slowly started losing the fight over Ginta's body. Call it professional curiosity, but there was something oddly curious about how this Fuuinjutsu had been crafted.

"Whoever's behind this, they're incredibly skilled," Tousha thought, his chakra permeating the seal and starting to break it down. "It looks like sloppy work but it isn't. The seal is designed to be catastrophically fragile, yet nearly unbreakable at the core of it."

The Fuuinjutsu evaporated from Ginta's skin, sending black smoke-like particles of chakra into the air. Tousha's eyes grew wide as he heard that plume of virulence shriek lowly in frustration before dissipating entirely into the cool night air. The brotherhood member went slack and toppled sideways onto the table, an arm and leg dangling off the side unceremoniously. The vagabond hardly noticed, his gaze still held firmly overhead.

Hiroshi, now standing, called for someone to come help the now very unconscious Ginta to a bed for any medical attention he might need. Two people appeared from the interior doorway, a man and a woman, and moved to help.

"A beautiful disaster," Tousha muttered to himself, fumbling for understanding.

Jutsu usedShow
*Fuuinjutsu • Removal
D-rank Fuuinjutsu
After performing the necessary hand seals, the user will hold their hand over a seal, and begin to remove it. This removal will be successful as long as the user has more [Control] than that of which the Fuuinjutsu was sealed with.
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:50 pm

The teenager's face contorted into a grimace at such an old guy attempt at saying something profound. He resisted the urge to roll his eyes, and instead turned his attention to the old man seemingly still cowering a safe distance away. His gaze then turned to Ginta, finally silent, as a couple of people he assumed were servants appeared from beyond the sliding doors to help. With a single look he conveyed to the pair that they could help the man, but not carry him away.

They still needed him. He wasn’t sure what information Tousha had garnered from wrestling with and finally removing that seal, but it couldn’t have been enough to tell them where to find this Brotherhood. The bannin was growing impatient. “Fantastic. You did it. Applause.” He levied a heavy glare in Tousha’s direction, directing his irritation towards the man. “There will be more where that came from if we don’t clean up the asshole responsible. Did you learn anything useful about the situation or are we still fumbling around at square two?” Kotaru didn’t want to admit it, but he didn’t have a solid idea how they should proceed. The young shinobi rubbed his forehead, closing his eyes as he racked his brain. ’What would Tatsuo or Mitsuo do? It sucks that I’m on my own here.’

As soon as the thought formed he realized that wasn’t entirely true. At least for now, he needed to rely on other people, particularly this Tousha. The thought made him want to rip his hair out. But Kotaru knew he needed the man. From what he could tell, the seal wasn’t something to sneeze at since it gave the older man trouble - that was assuming, of course, this Tousha worth his salt as a shinobi, former or otherwise. Kotaru knew next to nothing about neither fuuinjutsu nor the people of his region; any thought he had about forsaking his earlier promise and handling things on his own evaporated. So he was waited - none too happily - for Tousha to offer up some guidance and direction.
Last edited by Kao on Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:41 pm

The man and woman hesitated for a moment at Kota's glance, but only for a moment. Without a word they gently maneuvered Ginta onto his back and began tending to him. Hiroshi, visibly rattled by the vile chakra that had haunted the room like some malevolent specter, gathered his composure and walked over to inspect the unconscious man himself. The old man slipped his age-gnarled hands into his long, wide sleeves and hovered over the caretakers as they checked for vitals and any conscious stirrings from their patient.

Kota's words brought Tousha back to reality. The Vagabond's gaze fell from the ceiling and onto the youth, who looked equal parts irritated and unsure. Tousha tried to slip on a reassuring smile but knew he fell short by a significant stretch. "Definitely still fumbling," he started with a small shrug. "That seal was... Viciously well crafted. Whoever made it knows what they're doing in a very scary way, and they aren't afraid of killing any underling who breaks the rules."

Sighing, Tousha ran an anxious hand through his hair and tilted his head as if in deep thought. "Any mention of the Haruko Brotherhood's plans to anyone not inscribed with the mark, naming the leader... Probably explaining where they're operating from, too. Anything even remotely sensitive sets that thing off."

Then the Konoha Shinobi shot a glance over his shoulder at Ginta, who still appeared to be unresponsive. "It would have eaten him from the inside out. Hell, it tried to do the same to me."

At that, Hiroshi turned from Ginta and nodded at Tousha slowly. "I am glad this did not come to pass. You have my thanks. Both of you," the elder said, suddenly looking very tired.
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:47 pm

The young bannin looked from Tousha, then to the elder, then back again. Was that really all they had to say? It was more than clear that this Brotherhood was powerful; that was evident as soon as the fuuinjutsu attempted to kill Ginta. Tousha's conclusion was a reasonable one, but to Kotaru it didn't need ot be said, especially not without an immediate attempt to formulate a plan. Growing more and more grateful for and longing for Tatsuo's leadership by the second, Kotaru let out a long-suffering sigh that ended in a frustrated groan. Perhaps this simply meant it was his time to shine, his chance to truly take the reigns as a bannin should.

"Fine," he said to himself before turning to speak to the elder. "Do you know where we can find them? Any whispers about their general whereabouts? We - " the teenager was interrupted by a gurgling scream and then loud, metallic clattering. The sounds came from the back of the building - in the direction that the elder's son had carried of the other Brotherhood member. "Ah, fuck...." He'd nearly forgotten about that one.

He wrenched open the sliding door, nearly pulling it clean out of the tracks as he rushed toward the commotion. Upon turning a corner Kotaru was faced with an unsurprising scene. Sprawled on the floor was a young woman, face down and out cold. Surrounding her was a tray, its contents scattered around her, and a rapidly expanding pool of blood. Inside the room beyond her, the elder's son struggled against the now fully conscious thug who was gaining the upper hand. When he noticed Kotaru cross the door's threshold he moved alarmingly fast, and he yanked the other man's arm behind his back and thrust him in between himself and Kotaru.

Kotaru raised a finger and pointed it at the pair as a ball of extremely dense chakra materialized at his fingertips, manifesting as a ball of angrily swirling flames. The thug, eyes desperate, took a step back and his grip held firm despite the bannin's threat. His eyes flickered to the door, and he dared glance slightly behind him in search of another exit. There wasn't one. Freedom lay beyond the bannin, and this small kid was an impassable stone wall. When he met Kotaru's face, the teenager's features were illuminated by the fire, highlighting his crazed grin and his eyes gleaming with wicked glee. Then, after several frantic heartbeats passed, the thug watched as the flame's heat intensified. In a panic he thrust his captive forward, diving to the side with yelp. The fire's heat singed his hair and clothes, and not even a second later he felt himself be thrown into a wall as an explosion rocked the room. The fireball ripped through the back wall and sent wood and stone flying in every direction. And then, there was eerie quiet.The thug raised his head and almost gasped at the sight around him. Not at the ruined room, but at the courtyard that lie beyond the giant, flame-licked hole. Without thinking twice the thug ran through it, cutting himself on sharp debris, but the pain didn't stop his escape.

Back inside smoke and dust hung heavily in the air. After a few moments passed a large pile of debris shifted as Kotaru emerged, grunting from the effort of removing a jagged slab of wood from on top of him. Covering his entire body from the neck down was the speckled blue armor of his lacrishiin, and crouched beneath him was the elder's son. The older man was shaken, but he still mustered the energy to look around at the destruction and then glare up at Kotaru with incredulous disbelief and no hint of gratitude. "You could have killed me! And he - " he stopped to cough roughly in an attempt to clear the dust from his chest, "did he - is he -"

"He got away," the Akari said, that dark grin still firmly affixed to his face.
JutsuShow
Bursting Katon Pellet
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After performing the needed seals, Kotaru extends his pointer finger and a small ball of katon chakra roughly 3 inches in diameter will form at the end of it. The chakra can be launched at a speed and strength equal to his control, and can travel up to 10 meters. The chakra will burst on contact and erupt into a ball of flames 1 meter in diameter.[/color]

Advanced Formation: Lacrishiin
C-Ranked Ninjutsu
Pre-requisite: 20 Control, Iijutsu Concentration
Kotaru channels chakra to the shiin and causes the lacrishiin to inflate and form a psuedo-armor. With this technique, Kotaru enhances the cellular replication of the lacrishiin, allowing it to cover his temershiin and melashiin, if manifested. This form of his armor has strength equal to Kotaru’s endurance.
Last edited by Kao on Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:52 am, edited 12 times in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:25 am

Tousha's head snapped towards the noise coming from the back of the building, his eyes growing sharp. "Stay here," the Konoha Shinobi said flatly to Hiroshi and the two villagers tending to Ginta before following after Kota deeper into the Elder's dwelling. Now on high alert, it took a single breath for the entire scene to become painfully clear to Tousha. The second Haruko Brotherhood member had woken up from his stupor and was now attempting an escape, harming anyone in his path to do so.

Without a second thought Tousha ran to the motionless girl laying on the floor. He knelt down and very gently rolled her over, his eyes scanning for the source of the blood pooling beneath her. Tousha's skin somehow grew paler as he stared at a scalpel that had been thrust deep into the base of the woman's neck where it met the shoulder. The Vagabond looked around in a panic, hopelessly, for anything or anyone who could help.

A feint gurgle bubbled from the young girl's lips. Blood spurted from her parted lips and she looked up at him, her eyes already becoming unfocused.

"I'm sorry, there's no time," Tousha said quietly before gripping the scalpel and slipping it from her neck as cleanly as he could. The poor girl's eyes went wide and she groaned weakly as blood poured from the open wound, deep red and abundant. The Konoha Shinobi's brows furrowed in concentration as he channeled a small, blazing dose of chakra into his index and middle fingers. His skin steamed to life and grew orange red as the Katon chakra pooled just beneath the surface of his skin.

To her credit, the girl didn't scream as he pressed his white hot fingers into and against the wound. The smell of burning flesh and blood assaulted Tousha's nose, but he pressed on until the wound had been completely sealed. The girl coughed suddenly and gasped for air, her airway mostly free of blood. Tousha was about to roll her onto her side when he felt the heat from Kota's technique on the back of his bare neck. He turned just in time to watch the Iwa Shinobi amass a dangerous amount of Katon chakra and sent it flying into the wall behind the Brotherhood member.

Again, without thinking, Tousha stooped over the injured girl as the Iwa Shinobi's attack blew apart the next room's far wall. Heat, dust, smoke, and shattered splinters poured from the room and engulfed the hallway before the Vagabond could even warn the others in the main entrance.

Coughing and confused, Tousha could only watch as Hiroshi barreled past him through the debris cloud. He needed to get the young woman to relative safety, and this hallway wasn't it.

"Katashi! Katashi, where are you?!" the old man bellowed as he sprinted with surprising speed down the hallway and into the room where his son was crouched on the floor. Ignoring Kota, the Elder threw himself next to his eldest child and embraced him with a warm desperation.

"I'm fine!" Katashi said, coughing for a fit before pointing out the smoldering hole in the wall. "Stop that man! He's getting aw--!" The Elder's son doubled over, his body wracked with another severe bout of coughing. Hiroshi helped his son to his feet and half carried the young man out of the room, who in turn half attempted to fight off being assisted and made to follow the thug into the night. The old man's strength and stubbornness won out, however, and he was able to drag Katashi out of harm's way.

"Assemble the fire brigade!" the Elder shouted as he entered the dwelling's main entrance, where Tousha had placed the now unconscious woman next to Ginta on the table."A fire's begun spreading, we must stop it before it overtakes the village!" At his command, the young man who had been tending to Ginta ran headlong out the front door. Soon a myriad of shouts could be heard cropping up from outside as men and women emerged from their homes and gathered to help stifle the flames.

"I'm going after him," Tousha said, furious. Hiroshi simply nodded in understanding as Tousha made his way back towards Kotaru. The Vagabond marched down the hallway, his expression livid and etched in deep shadow.

"I saw you put that thing through the wall," Tousha said once he'd reached the back room, containing his fury enough to remain calm. "Why? You could have taken that guy out without blinking, and now he's gone. What if he hurts someone else?! He almost killed that poor girl back there!"

Jutsu usedShow
Katon • Cauterize
D-rank Ninjutsu
After completing a string of hand seals or utilizing advanced channeling the user will gather a dose of Katon chakra in his hand. This chakra will emit a searing hot but controlled flame, giving the user's hand the appearance of heated iron. This Katon chakra can be used to cauterize flesh on contact, effectively but painfully closing wounds that would otherwise be very difficult and timely to treat on the battlefield. This technique has limited offensive qualities as it would take a considerable amount of time to sear the flesh of an unwilling opponent.
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:02 am

Smoke replaced the settling dust. Kotaru's technique had sent flaming debris throughout the back side of the house and flaming embers blew in the wind and landed on neighboring rooftops. The shinobi inhaled the smoke, letting it fill his lungs as he outstretched his arms to his side. The aroma of burned wood and scorched stone was invigorating. Alarmed shouts became louder as villagers were ripped from their slumber and thrust into chaos. A low staccato chuckle resounded in his chest, a sign that the boy was more than pleased with the development. The boom of Tousha's enraged voice cut through the din of crackling flames and Kotaru leaned backwards into a near backbend to peer up at the man. "Girl? What girl?" he purred, his grin shrinking slightly. He belatedly recalled the girl he had casually stepped over. "Ahh, her. I thought she was dead."

Kotaru straightened himself and dusted himself off, still covered in the fleshy armored second skin. The girl had been safely deposited next to Ginta, but even from a distance Kotaru could tell that the woman's wound had been haphazardly tended to. His gaze flashed to Tousha, zooming in on the blood on his hands and clothes. "Hasn't anyone ever told you the first rule of puncture wounds, Just Tousha?" he chimed, his voice lilting almost melodically with amusement as he approached the girl. "Don't remove the foreign object all willy-nilly." Chakra rushed to his hand as he spoke. Green chakra, the hue of the healing arts. The glow intensified as he hovered over the girl's wounds, and after a moment of analyzing the damage he tutted at the older man. "Nice try, old man. But she's bleeding internally and you missed it. She'd have been dead before sunrise." It wouldn't take long for the boy to heal the wound, especially knowing he was in for a chase.

He enjoyed a good stalking.

Unlike earlier that night in the inn, Kotaru didn't waver under Tousha's wrathful gaze. He was near euphoric, on a high from the promise of a hunt. This time Tousha's rage was easily dismissed. The Iwa shonobi had, in fact, deliberately missed after having quickly thought several steps ahead. "I promised no unnecessary bloodshed. Remember that? If I'd killed him - and you're right, I could have, easily - then what? We'd have lost our best lead. Don't get me wrong, your work with Ginta was admirable. Slow, but admirable. After all the time you wasted with tea drinking and pleasantries, I couldn't pass up letting a rat lead me to the nest. I'll bet you any amount of ryo that guy is heading straight back into the arms of the Brotherhood. All we have to do is follow him."

Finished with patching up the girl's wound just enough so she didn't die, Kotaru formed a set of seals then slammed his hand on the ground in front of him. A white puff of smoke formed, and from the cloud emerged a reptilian hand. Slowly, a lithe blue dragon slid from the cloud and it lifted his head curiously to get its bearings. The purplish spines emerging from the back of his neck vibrated, and once they sensed Kotaru the beast whirled on him with a few excited chirps. The dragon was as long as Kotaru was tall and had deep, piercing golden eyes. He bumped his head against Kotaru's chest, and the boy gave it a quick affectionate pat. "Soryuu. Extinguish." Soryuu nodded obediently and turned his head, immediately opening its mouth to release a spray of water to snuff out the flames before they fully engulfed Hiroshi's home.

Feeling that their work there was done, Kotaru jerked his head in the direction the Brotherhood member had fled. "Come. Unless you think we have more time to waste."

JutsuShow
*[Iijutsu • Blood Clot Technique]
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
This highly useful field technique is applied to bleeding wounds to help encourage the coagulation of the blood. After focusing chakra into his/her hands, the user will hover them over the bleeding wound and begin to channel chakra through it. The chakra will began to thicken the blood, causing it to clot. Wounds must be dealt with one at a time, and the number of wounds that can be tended to within the three (3) posts that this technique lasts depends on their size. Small wounds take very little time to clot, while moderate wounds take one (1) post of concentration to clot, and large wounds take two (2) posts to clot. Although this technique stops the bleeding, the wound remains vulnerable and will require further care after this has been performed.

*[Ninjutsu • Spiritualism Technique]
C-Ranked Ninjutsu
The base technique for summoning, the Spiritualism Technique allows users to bring forth their summons to fight on their behalf. Once an agreement has been made between the user and their summon, they will be able to use this technique to call upon it at any time unless stated otherwise. The chakra used for this technique varies, as it is dependent on the size and rank of what is being summoned. Once it has been summoned, the initial cost of the summon is equivalent to its rank. It is paid upon being summoned and then the same cost is paid as often as follows:
D-Rank: Free to maintain once summoned.
C-rank: 10 posts
B-rank: 9 Posts
A-rank: 7 Posts
S-rank: 5 posts
Last edited by Kao on Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:57 am, edited 7 times in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:18 pm

Tousha stopped dead in his tracks as Kota turned to face him, grinning in a way that made his blood run cold. A scene of quickening chaos unfolded around them as villagers screamed and barked orders in the night and the licking, leftover flames from the Iwa Shinobi's jutsu began consuming the far wall and neighboring roof. The panic rising in the village only punctuated the darkness behind the young man's eyes, and the effortlessness of that smile.

As Kota spoke, Tousha also finally noticed the strange armor that seemed to act as Kota's protective secondary layer of skin. Tousha had never seen anything like it, and he'd seen a lot. Despite feeling outrage at the youth's indifference towards the woman he'd left bleeding out in the hallway, Tousha stepped aside and let Kota pass without a word. There was a new, quiet confidence in the boy's movements that ventured into smugness in a way that put Tousha on edge.

The Konoha Shinobi was completely disarmed, however, when Kota criticized his attempts to heal the girl who had been attacked by the escaping Haruko Brotherhood member. Not only that, but the Iwa Shinobi demonstrated his skill in the healing arts as medicinal, life saving chakra gathered in his hand and flowed into the still very much dying girl laying on the table.

Any semblance of outrage was washed away by the glowing green light of Kota's healing technique, replaced swiftly by confusion and helplessness. Here he was, yelling at a boy for his recklessness and apathy for those around him and Tousha had just assumed he and he alone could have saved that poor girl's life. That he was the only one capable of saving people at all. Tousha had written the young Shinobi off as completely selfish and incapable of helping others in a way that the Vagabond so desperately wanted to be able to do himself.

Did he really think anything would change? Old habits died hard, much harder than the people who crossed his path these days.

Tousha even remained quiet as Kota explained his reasoning for letting the thug escape. There was no point in trying to argue against the Iwa Shinobi because he wasn't wrong. No blood had been spilled, they hadn't gleaned even a half solid clue as to where the Haruko Brotherhood was hiding out from his efforts with Ginta, and the thug would be more than easy enough for the two Shinobi to follow.

Resigned to his own doubt, Tousha simply said, "You're right. Letting him go points us in the right direction."

"I need to grab my gear," Tousha replied quietly, having watched Kotaru summon what appeared to be a water dragon to help stifle the flames that threatened to burn down the fishing village. "Meet me at the west gate, Kota. I won't be long."

With that, Tousha left the dwelling. He didn't even bow to Hiroshi as he walked past the old man, knowing he didn't deserve the honor of that pleasantry between friends.

-------------------

The Vagabond opened the small shack's door and silently moved to the bed. Without a word he slid a long, bamboo crate from under it and unlatched the fixings. His hardened traveling gear stared up at him from the crate as he looked down into it and sighed to himself. In a matter of minutes the loose, ill-fitting fishing village garb had been replaced by a dark cloak that hung heavy on the Shinobi's left side, a dark undershirt with the Nara clan's symbol emblazoned on the shorter right sleeve, Shinobi trousers tied off at the ends with light gray wraps, open toed black sandals, and a large, circular hat that covered most of the top half of his head.

Finally he slid his old Ninjato and Jutte into place at his hip and low back. Part of him couldn't stand how natural and comforting it felt to feel like a real Shinobi again.

He kicked the case back under the bed and left the shack's door open on the way out.

-------------------

Tousha's shape would emerge on a small, dirt road leading towards the western gate, the direction the thug had no doubt escaped towards. He would approach Kota with an air of somber professionalism and purpose.

"He leave any tracks?" Nara Tousha asked.
Last edited by Toshi on Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:07 pm

By the time Tousha relented, Kotaru's manic grin had settled into a self-satisfied smirk. That look, the one of disapproval that so many adults had given him in recent years, drained out of the older man's eyes. Tousha had underestimated him somewhere, had come to a conclusion about the boy's dark talents and acerbic attitude and had undoubtedly placed Kotaru firmly in some childish, monster-coded category in his mind. Now that the teenager had ripped apart that label, Kotaru briefly reveled in the way the older man seemed to struggle with the realization that the Iwagakure shinobi wasn't so one-dimensional, and that he was perhaps more than just an intransigent kid that was too powerful for his own good. That perhaps he had an air of authority about him for a reason. The boy typically didn't care much about what others thought of him, but it still gave him some satisfaction each time he shattered someone's shallow and hastily created conclusions.

Only when Tousha called him 'Kota' did his smile fade completely. That kind of familiarity bothered him, but he didn't immediately correct the man. Instead he watched as Tousha sauntered off, making a mental note to address that later. When he eventually stepped just outside of the house and looked around, Kotaru turned slowly in place as he tried to determine how fucked the little village was. Every so often someone gave an alarmed scream or yelp when Soryuu approached, but the dragon ignored them and carried out his orders cheerfully. The fires would soon be under control, and it'd be one less thing to worry about when he eventually wrote his report. When the boy glanced back at the house he was greeted by the sight of Katashi. Katashi leaned against the door frame with his hand clutching his chest, glaring at Kotaru with intense detestation. He had been made useless by the incessant coughing fits and had not joined the others in the attempt to prevent an uncontrollable blaze.

When Kotaru had moved towards the dying girl, Katashi could only look in horror as the teenager's chakra-coated hand hovered near her wound. The man was completely taken aback when the ninja healed the girl rather than hurt her and then summoned a creature to put out the fires. He belatedly realized that Kotaru had even shielded him from the blast. Dumbfounded confusion had wracked him. In his experience, men like Kotaru - shinobi like Kotaru - didn't care enough for others to deviate from their self-serving goals for even a moment. Kotaru had managed to help in a way that was, on the surface, unexpectedly kind. But it somehow didn't overshadow his ferocity and ruthlessness. It made Katashi even angrier to know that this bastard of a kid was perfectly capable of helping others without causing damage, yet he still chose the most brutal and destructive methods anyway. One look told Kotaru that this man's view of him couldn't be changed. He simply shrugged; some people's prejudices were more unyielding than others. Without a word he headed towards the western gate to wait.

************** "Ohoho, there he is," Kotaru mused when Tousha finally showed up. He no longer looked like an old wanderer, having replaced his fisherman's garb with clothing more fitting of a shinobi. He even blatantly carried weapons. Shadow seemed to engulf his features, and Kotaru could tell that this was a seasoned warrior. "Finally got tired of faking incompetence, huh?" Kotaru stared thoughtfully at the cloak and dagger look and absentmindedly licked the corners of his mouth. He was one step closer to figuring out just who this guy was. For now he didn't dwell on it. He gestured to the ground where drops of blood led out of the village. The blood drops fell sparsely with a lot of space between each. But it was a trail that wouldn't be hard for either of them to follow. Kotaru headed out, his steps falling noiselessly as they left the village in a hurry and began their pursuit.

JutsuShow
I am Become Silence
A-Ranked Taijutsu Discipline
Kotaru has mastered moving completely silently while using his full speed. Whether walking, making slight or grand maneuvers, or running, he is able to move completely silently even during combat. His opponent needs using a specialized [Perception] hearing technique of equal or greater rank to perceive the sounds of his movements.
Last edited by Kao on Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:47 pm

"Wasn't entirely faking," Tousha muttered as he spotted the blood on the ground where Kota pointed and followed it westward. There wasn't much of a trail, but even in the dark it was more than enough for two seasoned Shinobi to follow. Tousha also figured the amount of blood the thug was losing wasn't close to life threatening, so their mark was probably unhindered by his injuries and traveling as swiftly as possible. Not that the Haruko Brotherhood member could hope to outpace them, but they wouldn't want to catch up to him as soon as possible.

No point in letting the bastard go if they put him down too early.

The Konoha Shinobi would fall in line behind Kotaru as they made their way out of Yūyo and into the wilderness of Rock Country, its hauntingly beautiful landscape showered in silver moonlight. The pair traveled silently in the night, sticking to the shadows where they could and covering swaths of open ground in mere moments. Tousha hadn't traveled at this pace in some time and his body relished in the effort of keeping up with Kota.

It would be nearly half an hour before Tousha broke the silence between them. "Thank you," he said, quiet enough that his voice wouldn't carry much further than a few yards. "For saving the girl."

Tousha wasn't in a particularly chatty mood, but he owed Kota that much at least.
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:04 am

"Yeah, well." He paused, once again feeling awkward to be on the receiving end of a much older man's gratitude. Had he not been in the middle of hunting down someone he would have started fidgeting. "No need to thank me. That isn't something I make a habit of doing." Kotaru let more than a minute of silence pass between them before adding, "As much of a bleeding heart you are, I figured that would have been something you'd have taken care of yourself. But...." But it looks like he couldn't. Kotaru was far from a medic, but he knew enough about first aid that he could tell when someone had no idea what they were doing. From the little he knew about Just Tousha, it was suprising that the man couldn't use iijutsu. And judging from the way he now carried himself, Tousha was no stranger to dangerous missions. So either he simply didn't have the talent to use chakra that way, or he'd never bothered to learn and this kindhearted I-just-wanna-help-people attitude of his was a recent development. Pulling foreign objects from someone without proper evaluation of the wound wasn't something people who were accustomed to saving lives would think to do.

There were other possibilities but the pondering stopped there. There were more important things to consider. Kotaru adjusted his pace so that Tousha was alongside him rather than behind. "I hope you said your goodbyes," he said quietly, though the edges of his words were sharp. "Once this is done I have a lot of questions for you, foreigner. And if I don't like the answers..." Kotaru didn't know every shinobi in Iwa. Not even close. But he somehow just knew the man wasn't from Iwagakure, and his demeanor didn't exactly scream Kiri nin. Best case scenario was he actually was from Iwa or Kiri, retired, and had just wandered off for whatever reason. But Kotaru's life had never been one with much simplicity, and he didn't see why the gods would grant him that now. "...then you won't be seeing that village again anytime soon."

They were getting close to their destination. Up ahead the blood spatters were falling closer together as if the man was slowing down. If he focused he could still feel the connection with Soryuu, following behind him like a loose tether. Kotaru looked over at Tousha to try to gauge what he was thinking, if he would finally reveal that he had some kind of leadership skills after all.
Last edited by Kao on Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:14 pm

The Nara's face remained impassable as Kotaru took a jab at his inability to help the injured girl himself. Some part of him knew that he had helped her in a way. Tousha had noticed that she wasn't dead for starters, and that he prioritized helping her over chasing after Kota and the thug in the next room. He'd shielded her from the Iwa Shinobi's Katon technique without a second thought and carried her away from the danger.

Still, even knowing all of that, she would have died without Kota's help. She would have slipped away quietly in the night without anyone noticing. Killed by Tousha's ignorance. Nothing else he'd done could make up for that, and the Nara knew it. The guilt weighed heavily on the seasoned Shinobi's shoulders but he needed to put it aside for now and focus.

The mission came first, and putting an end to the Haruko Brotherhood was something well within Tousha's wheelhouse.

Despite himself, Tousha's eyes did dart to Kota's as the youth fell in alongside him and aimed a less than well hidden threat in his direction. Unable to help himself, Tousha smirked. "That might be for the best," he said as they both spotted the change in their runaway's blood trail. It looked like the thug had reached a craggy wall-like formation of rock and clumsily scampered up. With predator like grace, Tousha leaped up the wall in two bounds, flinging himself up and over the rocks.

Hanging there, suspended in the air by the jump and cloak billowing in the cool night air, Tousha looked down at four figures. Three of them looked back up at him while the other lay in a heap of awkwardly angled limbs and blood, completely motionless. The Nara would land in a crouch no more than thirty strides from these figures. As he stood up slowly to his full height, Tousha's thin, dark eyes scanned the group methodically.

The figure laying motionless on the ground was the Haruko Brotherhood thug. The man's eyes were still widened with sightless shock, his face locked into a mask of dread and pain. A nearly perfect circular pool of blood glinted in the moonlight as it flowed freely from the thug's torso.

"Speak of the devil," the tallest of the figures said, hefting a broad, squat blade. The weapon was coated with fresh blood. Definitely the one who killed the thug, Tousha reasoned. The man, clearly a Shinobi, pointed his weapon at the dead man and called out to Tousha and Kota. "You the fellas that got our friend here running back home like a scared little boy? He said something about a couple of ninjas, some mouthy brat and an old drunk, causing all sorts of ruckus."

Tousha remained quiet, still taking in the strangers. They were all garbed in form concealing traveler's cloaks of browns and greens. The tallest and broadest, possibly the leader, had short, grizzled hair, angular mutton chops growing on his square jaw, and was missing half of his right eyebrow. The one standing with arms crossed to his immediate left, a Kunoichi, had gray-blue hair pulled up into a loose bun that was tied off with a red bandana, almost bored, heavily lidded blue eyes, and carried a large scroll slung across her back.

The last of them, a gangly man with a bandage wrapped face and buggy eyes, stared excitedly across the distance between them. Under the bandages, Tousha could see the man licking where his lips should have been. Instead, there were only gleaming teeth and the charred, ruined remains of a mouth.
Last edited by Toshi on Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:50 pm

When Tousha cleared the earthen wall Kotaru hung back for a second, taking in the way the older man effortlessly cleared it. By that point he wasn't surprised that the once bumbling vagabond was as lithe as he was mysterious. Kotaru followed suit, and when he landed soundlessly he positioned himself a few paces behind Tousha. Their quarry, clearly dead, was the first to catch his eye. The trio was next; they certainly looked the part of being members of the Brotherhood. They had the same dark look of those men who ransacked the inn. Kotaru looked at Tousha's back, pausing to see what he would do, but when he remained quiet the teenager shrugged. "Your guy started it, but it looks like you finished it. If that's how you treat your friends then I can't wait to see how you treat your enemies."

Now standing shoulder-to-shoulder with his temporary ally, the Akari glanced up at him with a frown. He knew nothing about this man or his skills, and that would make it harder to coordinate their attacks. Kotaru could formulate strategies fairly quickly when he worked alone, but he often struggled to adjust to working with a partner. "Dibs on the creepy one," he mumbled low enough so only Tousha could hear. He then said to the Brotherhood group, "Do you mind if we skip the whole 'take us to your leader' negotiations? I'd rather beat it out of you." Kotaru didn't often engage in taunts, but Tousha's narrowed eyes suggested he was thinking. Considering. He had not thought the older man was a strategic planner, but that was before Tousha had shed that pleasant mask of his. Kotaru recognized the intelligent ferocity behind those dark eyes.

Kotaru channeled chakra to his back and the eight tentacles of his melashiin bloomed behind him. They spread behind him, curving around Tousha to avoid touching him, and then Kotaru formed a set of seals. The tendrils then erupted in flames, illuminating the two shinobi with angry orange light. "He really is a mouthy brat," the woman breathed as she rolled her shoulders. "The boss doesn't like them chatty. But we can - how'd he put it? - beat it out of him."
JutsuShow
~Basic Formation: Melashiin
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
Channeling chakra to their shiin, they cause it to inflate, fully forming into its full glory. Taking the shape of a long fleshy protrusion, the melashiin is able to recover at double the rate of a normal body part would. The strength of a melashiiin is equal to 3/4ths of the user's strength.

Crescent
B-Ranked Ninjutsu
Pre-requisite: Melashiin, Temershiin
After forming the needed seals, Kotaru coats his melashiin and/or temershiin in katon chakra. When he swings the shiin the motion launches the katon in an arc shape that is the same length of his shiin toward the target at speed equal to his [Control] and hits with the same strength. The flames are [Control] strength and explode on impact and apply the passive accordingly. The flames can be propelled up to 30 meters before they lose their shape and disperse. The jutsu lasts for 5 posts.
Last edited by Kao on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:26 am

VibesShow
[video][/video]

Tousha gave the slightest of nods to Kota when he mentioned the 'creepy one', but his sharp, dark eyes remained fixed on the tallest of the triad. He heard something growing out of the Iwa Shinobi standing next to him, a sound that might have sent a shiver up his spine if he wasn't so focused on each passing moment. Then an orange, almost irritated light bloomed from behind them both and sent shifting shadows stretching ahead of them like great, dark serpents. The heat from the flames licked at the back of Tousha's neck uncomfortably.

A wispy cloud drifted across the night sky overhead as the lanky, bandaged man cackled at the Kunoichi's suggestion. It was a shrill, wet laugh made worse by the lack of a mouth to contain it. "Yeth, yeth!" the man said with a heavy lisp, clamping at his lower face with unnaturally long fingers as if trying to cage his own excitement. It didn't appear to be working. "Too long! Itsth been too long senth the lastht time!" Then he shot a desirous look at the large man standing next to him. "Which one? Which one do I get?"

The cloud passed in front of the moon, casting the world around them in stifling shadow save for Kota's angry flames. Even in the darkness Tousha could see the man with the large, wide sword heft his weapon onto his cloaked shoulder. "Neither one of em's to be 'got,' you understand? Boss man wants 'em both alive and mostly in one piece. Not sure why, but them's the breaks."

The gangly man groaned in frustration, spraying spit through teeth and bandage. "Fine," he said, sounding like a toddler who'd been told to put away his favorite toy, "but nexth time we do what I want!"

"It doesn't have to be like this," Tousha said quietly, his tone less severe than his darkening expression. "I can help you. All of you. I know about the curse marks keeping you in line, I can get rid of-"

"I'm going to save us all a whole heap of time there, friend," the tallest said, walking towards Kotaru and Tousha. His steps were heavy and caused the man's broad shoulders to sway arrogantly with each stride, which only emphasized the false amicability in his smile. "Now you might have already deduced as such, seeing as how it's pretty obvious, but we aren't like the rest of these goons." He nodded back at the Haruko Brotherhood thug still laying in a pool of his own blood. As if on queue his two companions moved to follow close behind, one on either side.

Tousha's eyes darted to the left, then right, then up for only a moment, at the shrouded moon hanging over the three of them.

The tallest brandished his stout weapon without any visible effort, swinging it from side to side like a monstrous club as if to warm up before the fight. "Ain't no 'marks' on us, boys," he said as the Kunoichi slipped her scroll from its sling and hefted it under an arm, her eyes still heavy and disinterested. Bored, even. The gangly man didn't produce a weapon that Tousha could see, but the cackling had returned in force much to his displeasure. "No need for 'em. We're mighty fond of our employer, and the work is downright entertainin'. So we all came to a little agreement. That Fuuinjutsu bullshit he uses to keep the dregs in line? We take a hard pass on all that and we handle some of the more... Unsavory business that needs doin'."

More steps, more words, more time.

The man raised his arms jovially and added, "For our operatin' rate, of course! So boss man gets some muscle on his side, we get paid, and there's no bad blood between the lot of us!"

"Sounds like a sweet gig, but it's not worth dying for." Tousha said, the lines on his face deepening. "Last chance. Walk away now and it's over."

Tousha's words did nothing to stop the trio's advance. They continued striding forward, their shapes suddenly illuminated by the moon once more as the little, errant cloud drifted away. The tallest laughed and raised his sword, a mounting bloodlust causing the veins of his neck to protrude from taught muscle and sinew. "You talk too much, Twiggy," the broad shouldered man said, the muscles bulging under his cloak as he prepared to lunge forward.

An eerie stretching sound rang out a moment before the tallest of the three brought his sword down, swung wide, and smashed the flat of his blade against the blue haired Kunoichi. Wide eyed and suddenly cured of her boredom, the woman barely saw the attack coming in time to throw her scroll between them as a makeshift shield. The sheer strength behind the large sword's arc still pulled the Kunoichi off her feet despite her quick thinking, the air knocked from her lungs, and sent her flying nearly fifteen strides away. With a hollow groan she bounced off the rocky ground and skittered to a violent halt as she slid sideways into a protruding boulder.

Stunned and gaping, the gangly man took a shaky step away from his sword wielding companion. Then he chanced a look at Tousha, who was in the exact same stance as the tall, cloaked man and seemingly holding an invisible sword. None of the triad had noticed that the Konoha Shinobi's shadow was a shade darker than Kotaru's, and that the moonlight was casting their own shadows towards the Nara. Tousha hadn't even needed to extend the darkness grasping outwards from Kota's orange flames to touch his target's own.

The trapped man struggled with all his might against Tousha's control over his body, but his brawn paled in comparison to the Nara's control over the Chakra that bridged the gap between them. The gangly man retreated further in confusion as Tousha straightened his body, forcing his captive to begrudgingly mimic the Nara's movements.

"Shadow Imitation Jutsu complete," Tousha said, his voice mirthless.

Jutsu usedShow
Shadow Imitation
C-rank Ninjutsu
After completing a string of hand seals or utilizing advanced channeling the user will infuse his shadow with chakra and send it across a surface towards a target at a Speed and Strength up to the user's Control, aiming to connect it to the opponent's shadow. If contact is made, the user and the opponent will be linked together in movement, so that everything the user does is mimicked by the opponent. A Strength equal to or greater than the user's Control is needed to break free of this technique. The effects of this technique will remain apparent for up to 6 posts until additional chakra is required.
Last edited by Toshi on Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:31 pm

Kotaru was uncharacteristically patient as everyone exchanged words. His shiin shifted behind him, moving in an almost catlike manner as he looked between the three Brotherhood members. The big one was obviously the leader of the group - he was too chatty and confident to be anything else - which meant he was probably the strongest of the bunch. The woman was a woman; even with her mysterious scroll Kotaru didn't immediately take her seriously. His eyes narrowed whenever he looked at the third. He knew the type, judging by the way he talked through the filthy bandages. The way he spoke and moved suggested an unstable mind, and the bandages around his face simply made Kotaru uneasy. That one was the unpredictable one, the one to take out first to avoid headaches down the road.

His eyes briefly cut to his right to look at Tousha, amazed the older man was still trying to be diplomatic about this, still trying to reason with people who Kotaru immediately recognized could not be reasoned with. At best he expected they could possibly torture and coerce information out of one of them after they yielded. Unfazed by the revelation that these guys didn't have a fuuin placed on them, Kotaru was still contemplating their course of action. He had just begun channeling chakra when something unfathomable happened. The trio's leader suddenly attacked the woman, sending her flying, and both Kotaru and the gangly one gaped at the man's heavy blade poised in the air. Kotaru spun, staring with wide eyes at Tousha who stood in an identical pose. 'Shadow Imitation Jutsu, he had said. The bannin's mind blanked, eyes momentarily unseeing as his mind then exploded with memories.

Shadows. Back in the inn, the man had been cloaked in shadows when he had suppressed the explosion. Kotaru's eyes wavered as the blurred memory sharpened, and a detail he had looked over suddenly became obvious. On his back was the character for shadow. Above it, his memory just barely was able to form parts of a second character. The one for fire. Shadows. Tousha. This man was older, his eyes harsher than they had been in the pictures in his academy days. Kotaru was stunned, absolutely mortified that he didn't make the connection sooner.

He had been traveling with Nara Tousha.

Bile rose in his throat. "You-!'

Kotaru's next words where knocked out of him as something slammed against his chest, sending him flying backwards more than two dozen feet. His back never hit the ground. Instead he was jerked forward by bandages that were wrapped around his neck, and thin hands clamped on both of his biceps to stop him from stumbling. The Akari's eyes widened when he was suddenly inches away from a horribly disfigured face. The 'creepy one' had recovered from the shock first, and had decided to act on his own since his leader was otherwise preoccupied. He had lowered his bandages and had used some sort of technique to elongate them and bind Kotaru, revealing a disgustingly decayed gap where his mouth should have been. The skin was blackened and burned with pus-filled lesions under his lips and around his jawline. The man's mouth was open unnaturally wide, as if his jaw had become unhinged. Like a rotting, open-mouthed snake.

The smell was unbearable. Kotaru gagged, and the sound elicited a gleeful cackle from the Brotherhood member. He then breathed directly into Kotaru's mouth and the boy's knees started to crumple. His vision blurred as dizziness took hold, and he felt his chest heave from the sudden effort it took to breathe. "Yeeethhh!" he hissed, raising his right hand and slashing wickedly sharp nails against Kotaru's chest. The impact against his lacrishiin sounded like nails against a chalkboard, and the gaunt Brotherhood member curled his fingers to try to pierce the armor. Just as the armor started to crack, Kotaru was able to raise two of his heavy and stiff melashiin enough to press against the man's legs. He screamed in agony, but his grip on the bannin didn't budge. Even as Kotaru wrestled with Gangly he craned his head so that his blazing gaze found Tousha, still standing where he had been with his back facing them both.
Brotherhood Guy JutsuShow
Bindings of the Dead - ???'s bandages have special properties. After being activated by chakra, the bandages lengthen up to 20 meters in length. ??? can manipulate them, using them as weapons to bind and incapacitate opponents. Despite their flimsy appearance, the bandages have a durability of 35.

Miasma of the Decaying Legion
A-Ranked Gas Poison
Due to unknown forces, ??? houses a potent poison in his body. Created by his lungs, the poison enters his breath and he can use ninjutsu to manipulate the poison once outside of his body. Once breathed in, the poison works quickly, causing muscle weakness, dizziness, shortness of breath, and blurred vision. Repeated exposure to the poison can cause more dire reactions, such as closing of the throat, paralysis, and loss of consciousness.
Last edited by Kao on Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:01 pm

Tousha's gaze flitted to Kotaru as the young Shinobi turned to him, disgust etched into every feature, a fraction of a breath before the bandaged man leaped headlong into his chest. "Kota!" Tousha shouted, instinctively turning to help his ally as the lanky man carried the Iwa Shinobi more than two dozen strides away from where Tousha was still standing. Then the Nara's eyes widened as he felt something immensely strong straining against the chakra he was flooding into his shadow.

Shifting to face his captive, Tousha saw that the hulking man's eyes were blank with white hot rage and his body was shaking with effort as he desperately tried to break the Konoha Shinobi's hold over him. An aura of green chakra sparked to life and surrounded the Brotherhood Lieutenant, his already bristling hair standing on end and giving him the appearance of a feral animal. Tousha poured more chakra into the shadow binding the two combatants even as the Haruko Shinobi's skin turned bright red and even more veins protruded from his muscled form. A low scream ripped through the area as the ground shattered and crumbled around where the man was standing, every fiber of being willing his body to take even a step towards Tousha.

Meanwhile, the blue haired Kunoichi had regained some of her senses and was kneeling over the large scroll she had used to absorb most of the impact from the tall one's monstrous sword swipe. The woman was coughing, obviously still winded from the blow, but her hands were busy trying to break the seal that kept the scroll tightly bound. To make matters worse, the man struggling against Tousha's Shadow Imitation had noticed she was back in the fight as well.

"Aya," he snarled through gritted teeth, "Get off yer fat ass and do something!"

"Shut your -hack- dumb face hole," the Kunoichi shot back, still fumbling at her scroll.

Tousha allowed himself a stabilizing breath, willing his mind to float in a state of calm. The sounds of Kota struggling against the bandaged man behind him, the towering man he had under his Shadow Imitation technique, and the blue haired Kunoichi all became a singular thought in the current of combat they found themselves in.

Why had Kotaru looked at him like that?

Just another puzzle to be solved. Stay on task.

On the exhale, Tousha's left hand darted to his left thigh and the holster strapped there. With a surprised grunt the Haruko Shinobi mimicked his motion, reaching into his own thigh holster. As one, the two Shinobi withdrew a single kunai by the ring at their handles, spun the weapon on a finger into the air, and then caught it by the tip. Tousha channeled more chakra into the kunai, coating it in a shifting, shadowy aura that seemed to grasp at the air around it. Then, in one smooth motion, Tousha turned and threw the kunai in Kotaru's direction.

Simultaneously, Tousha's captive mimicked the movement and threw his kunai as well. Both of the knives flew with pinpoint accuracy, one of them thudding into the earth where the lanky man's shadow was resting and the other sinking into the blue haired Kunoichi's hand. Aya screamed in pain as her ally's kunai punched through her flesh and tendons before embedding itself deeply into the scroll under her hand, effectively pinning the appendage to the seal that kept the scroll bound.

While she was screaming, the shadowy chakra saturating Tousha's kunai almost excitedly sunk into the bandaged man's shadow, darkening it and immobilizing him in place in front of Kota.

"Ahhhth! Graaghhhthhh!" the suddenly trapped man shouted in panic as he strained against the kunai pinning his shadow to the ground. "I can't move! Thomeone HELP ME!!"

Jutsu usedShow
Mujuushin • Stay on Task
D-rank Taijutsu Discipline
The practitioner of this discipline is able to tune out distractions in order to focus on a singular task more effectively. These distractions are still perceived by the user and will affect him accordingly, but they will not break his concentration.

Shadow Imitation Projectile
B-rank Ninjutsu
After completing a string of hand seals or utilizing advanced channeling the user will infuse a projectile with chakra similar to that of the Shadow Imitation technique before throwing it at a target's shadow. If this projectile makes contact with the target's shadow they will be frozen in place with a Strength up to the user's Control. This technique will remain apparent for up to 6 posts before the chakra holding the target in place dissipates.
Last edited by Toshi on Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:56 pm

Darkness encroached the margins of Kotaru's vision as his head filled with thick fog and his eyelids started to feel like iron sheets, too heavy to keep open. His breaths came in short, ragged huffs as he pulled at the unyielding cloth that was tightening around his neck. The odor of Gangly's rancid breath mixed with that of his burning flesh. Despite the continued contact with the flaming shiin the bandaged monstrosity showed no signs of releasing his hold on Kotaru. 'Fuck fuck fuckfuckfuc-' Panic rose in his chest, compounding his inability to breathe from Gangly's poisonous breath. He couldn't remember the last time he felt such panic. But he was surrounded by enemies. The blue haired woman, Gangly, their leader. And-

His eyes snapped open, and his mind cleared long enough for him to channel chakra through his body. "Tou...sha...." The last syllable came as a hiss through gritted teeth, and smoke seeped from the corners of his mouth. Heat filled his gut, rising to his chest. At the same time he saw Tousha throw something, and Gangly's agonized cries suddenly changed and became fearful pleas for help. The cloth around his neck went slack, and the shinobi jumped at the opening. Taking a deep enough breath for the full effect of his jutsu wasn't possible, but he'd manage. He inhaled as much as he could and then spit out a raging jet of flames. Gangly disappeared behind a stream of fire, his screams crescendoing before going silent.

Somehow Kotaru remained on his feet. He took a heavy, stumbling step forward. Then another. Ears ringing, he directed his chakra to his hand. The woman, Aya, screamed as she pulled the kunai from her scroll, the weapon still skewered through her hand. She finally managed to unseal the scroll and turn her attention to Tousha, slamming it on the ground so that it was upright. It was over a foot taller than her, and the way it cracked the earth beneath her suggested there was formidable power sealed within it. Kotaru barely took notice of her. He was focused completely on Tousha, the rage in his eyes burning more fiercely than the flames at his fingertips. Only when Aya exclaimed triumphantly, scroll partially unfurled in front of her, did his eyes cut to her. Just as she formed the first handseal Aya's eyes widened when she felt a weight atop the scroll, her head jerking upward in confusion.

Kotaru stood atop it, balancing on one foot. "You're in my way." His whispered words were lost within the sound of the katon that coated his melashiin roaring as the flames intensified. He brought all eight tendrils down, savoring the sensation of her bones cracking beneath his shiin. It wasn't enough to kill her, but he expected the woman would be out of commission. The bannin's knees shook when his feet hit the ground, the world spinning as he shifted his gaze between the two men left standing. With Tousha diagonally in front of him and the sword wielder to his right, Kotaru had to make a decision. He began to lift his leaden arm but stopped halfway, his resolve wavering.

The flames extinguished with a loud sizzle. The last thing Kotaru saw before losing consciousness was Nara Tousha's face, his expression unreadable.

Brotherhood GuyShow
+1 exposure to the poison
JutsuShow
*Katon • Flame Jet
D-Rank Ninjutsu
After performing the correct hand seals the user draws in a deep breath before exhaling out a cone that is up to five meters long and three meters wide at its base. The cone travels at a speed equal to [30 Control] and impacts with a strength equal to [30 Control].

Bursting Katon Pellet
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After performing the needed seals, Kotaru extends his pointer finger and a small ball of katon chakra roughly 3 inches in diameter will form at the end of it. The chakra can be launched at a speed and strength equal to his control [40], and can travel up to 10 meters. The chakra will burst on contact and erupt into a ball of flames 1 meter in diameter.
Last edited by Kao on Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:33 pm

The shadowstuck, deformed man's screams radiated outwards from behind Tousha along with Kotaru's searing hot flames. The Kage didn't need to take his gaze off the swordsman still struggling with all his might against his shadow's grasp to know the numbers were more even now. The wild haired Shinobi glared across the gap separating them, screaming in fury and frustration as his efforts went unanswered.

Behind and to the swordsman's left, Aya was still struggling to free herself from her own ally's thrown kunai. It was buried in the Kunoichi's hand nearly to the hilt so she opted to pry the weapon from the scroll rather than from her own appendage. With a pained scream the Kunoichi tore the kunai's blade from the scroll and slammed it onto the craggy ground with a resounding thud. The earth itself gave way to the power sealed in the scroll, cracking and sundering beneath whatever was contained within.

'That's going to be a problem,' Tousha thought a moment before Kotaru appeared on top of the scroll, crouching and tendrils alight with roiling hot flames.

'Or maybe not.'

He watched as the Iwa Shinobi brought his flaming tendrils down on the confused looking Kunoichi, whose form buckled under the bone shattering blow. Aya lay on the ground motionless, her scroll still standing upright and partially open, as Kota jumped to the ground and made his way towards Tousha and the swordsman on shaking legs.

"Hey! You okay?" Tousha called out, the Vagabond's tone painted with concern despite his stoic expression as he watched the younger Shinobi raise a wavering arm in their general direction. Kotaru's fingertip sparked to life with flames and seemed to drift from the Leaf Shinobi and the shadowstuck swordsman. Tousha thought he saw something hateful in the Iwa Shinobi's eyes glinting in the curtains of moonlight that enveloped the night.

"Kota?"

No answer came as Kotaru collapsed, his flames extinguishing as the boy lost consciousness.

"Lights out fer yer friend," the swordsman snarled, still trying with every muscle fiber in his body to move closer to Tousha. The Konoha Shinobi turned his gaze from Kota's unmoving form to the broad shouldered man trapped in front of him. The swordsman's scowl curled into a feral, manic grin at the look in Tousha's cold eyes.

"Ya can't keep this up forever there, Twiggy," he said, the struggle grating his words into jagged growls. An aura of powerful chakra still encompassed his entire body, pushing the swordsman's strengths to new heights. "Must be a reason why ya haven't put me down yet."

Tousha remained silent as he stared across the gap between them, knowing his opponent was right. He couldn't maintain the Shadow Imitation technique forever, and holding the swordsman in place wasn't doing him any good unless he decided to end the fight here and now. Problem was, the Vagabond was still struggling with his non-lethal leanings. He was wandering the world trying to show the world that Shinobi weren't just weapons, that they weren't just tools of destruction and tragedy.

Unfortunately for the swordsman, the Vagabond was still back at the Elder's dwelling kneeling over a dying girl he couldn't save.

Nara Tousha raised an arm, pointing the index and middle fingers at his opponent's face. From those fingertips the air hissed and churned. Rust colored chakra ignited with bitter apathy, practically vibrating with excitement to annihilate anything in its path.

"Tell me where your employer's hiding," Tousha said, his tone void of compromise. "I'm not asking again."

Near where the partly unfurled scroll was still standing the Kunoichi's body disappeared in a puff of smoke, revealing a slab of cracked rock.

Jutsu usedShow
Sankaton • Erasure Bullet
C-rank Ninjutsu
Prerequisites: Sankaton • Erasure Torch
Rather than rely on hand seals the user will make a finger gun with his hand and gather a highly compressed dose of annihilation chakra at the tip of his index finger. A 1x1x1m diameter mass of Sankaton chakra will be condensed into the shape of a bullet no larger than a half inch in length at a Speed up to the user's Control before being shot in a linear path at the same Speed up to 30m. Any inorganic matter that comes into contact with this bullet is immediately eaten away by the Sankaton chakra while organic material is eaten through at half the rate. The amount of material that is destroyed is exactly relative to the technique's volume.
CharacterShow

Kao

Alone by Your Side

Post by Kao » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:11 pm

Aya practically held her breath as she hid behind a boulder safely situated roughly two dozen feet behind where Kotaru had nearly incapacitated her. The woman released the breath slowly, ignoring the way her injured hand screamed in agony. She hoped the two men were too preoccupied with her leader to notice the soft, green glow in the night. With her rudimentary iijutsu skills all she could do was stop the bleeding. The gash was still there, still wide open and hideous, a reminder that she had nearly been taken out before she could even process what had happened. Aya was more than confident in her group’s skills, and they had faced enough challenges as a unit that she was able to quickly determine their opponents’ skills. The realization made her frown and nearly groan in despair. Their two opponents were impressively strong. Very skilled jounin, at least.

She dared peek around the boulder to see how things were developing and she was pleased to see the little one had collapsed, his fiery tails gone. She had always hated Kinomaru, but she was glad his sacrifice hadn’t been in vain. His disgusting technique had taken the younger one - who was even more formidable than the dead thug had suggested - out of the picture. Aya would have preferred it if the poison had taken out the old man as well, but she supposed there was no point in hoping for more.

Nothing mattered in that moment besides regrouping. She needed her scroll. She’d be little help to her leader without it.

“No chance in hell, Twiggy,” he raged through gritted teeth, still struggling against that technique. He managed to flex his legs, but Tousha’s hold was still firm. Aya had seen something similar before, a lifetime ago when she had fought against a Nara who had nearly killed her entire squad. She sighed audibly this time. Fighting against a Nara who was strong enough to hold him of all people meant only one thing: they were fucked. So much for her boring evening. ”I can feel your hold loosening, and once Aya stops FUCKING HIDING you’re a dead man walking!”

Fine, fine.

Aya rushed from behind the boulder, making a mad dash for her scroll. She could feel the power within it surge, calling to her like a siren. Her once dead-eyed expression morphed into one of crazed glee as its influence sent her heart racing. She reached toward it, her fingertips touching the aged parchment. If she could unfurl it and release its power, it would be over for that damned codger of a Nara.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Toshi

Alone by Your Side

Post by Toshi » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:05 pm

Melancholy blunted Tousha's cutting stare as the swordsman refused to back down or give him the information they needed. His opponent wasn't wrong, the Nara's hold was slipping. Soon enough the Haruko Shinobi leader would overpower Tousha's waning control over the shadow that stretched between them and he'd be free to attack Tousha in earnest. Or, less ideally, the swordsman could use a very unconscious Kotaru as leverage against him.

To make matters worse, the blue haired Kunoichi darted from behind a nearby boulder at the swordsman's queue. She sprinted headlong at the scroll still embedded upright in the ground nearby, her tired eyes growing wilder with each step. The Kage's eyes closed for a moment, his furrowed brow softening. A quiet decision was made.

"It didn't need to be this way."

The shadow holding the Leader Shinobi shrank back towards Tousha with an eerie stretching sound, settling into the Nara's moonlit silhouette. The moment he was free from Tousha's hold the swordsman lunged forward, raising his sword high into the air and roaring with liberated fury.

Aya's hand touched the scroll, her outstretched fingers moving for the partly unfurled seam.

A rust colored bullet hissed through the air, launched with blurred speed from Tousha's fingertips. The swordsman didn't even have time to blink as the bullet struck him between the eyes, annihilating skin, muscle, bone, and then brain as it passed through its target. The Sankaton bullet burst from the back of the raging man's head, leaving a perfectly rounded hole in its wake.

Simultaneously, a thin tendril of shadow shot out from Tousha's left hand. The tendril, quick as a whip, wrapped itself around the oversized scroll a fraction of a second before the blue haired Kunoichi could tear it open. With a powerful yank, Nara Tousha pulled the scroll out of the ground and it rocketed towards him with alarming speed and out of the Kunoichi's reach.

The swordsman toppled to the ground, wide eyes blank and unfocused in sudden death, and his body unceremoniously skidding to a halt a few strides in front of where Tousha stood. The man's sword clattered and clanged before embedding itself point-first into a clump of hard earth.

Tousha shifted his weight and faced the scroll flying through the air right at him. The fingers of his right hand flattened, and the air around them churned with unnatrual bitterness. Rust colored annihilation chakra burst from Tousha's hand, forming a meter long beam of concentrated Sankaton particles. The Nara swiped his arm in front of himself in a blurred arc, the Sankaton beam eating away the oversized scroll like it had never existed. Bisected, the scroll's separated ends sailed past Tousha and slammed into a craggy wall of stone and mud.

The former Hokage leveled a glare at Aya, his mood decisively soured. The silvery curtains of moonlight flitting around them were tarnished by the angry, red-brown glowing of the Sankaton beam that Tousha held at the ready.

"My name is Nara Tousha," he called out to Aya, allowing the full weight of earned authority to carry his voice. "Juurokudaime Hokage. I need answers, and I hope you're full of them."

Jutsu usedShow
Sankaton • Erasure Bullet
C-rank Ninjutsu
Prerequisites: Sankaton • Erasure Torch
Rather than rely on hand seals the user will make a finger gun with his hand and gather a highly compressed dose of annihilation chakra at the tip of his index finger. A 1x1x1m diameter mass of Sankaton chakra will be condensed into the shape of a bullet no larger than a half inch in length at a Speed up to the user's Control before being shot in a linear path at the same Speed up to 30m. Any inorganic matter that comes into contact with this bullet is immediately eaten away by the Sankaton chakra while organic material is eaten through at half the rate. The amount of material that is destroyed is exactly relative to the technique's volume.

Shadow Sling
D-rank Ninjutsu
After completing a string of hand seals or utilizing advanced channeling the user will infuse a shadow on his person and launch it in any direction at a Speed and Strength up to the user's Control. This pointed tendril of shadow can travel up to the user's Control range and will attempt to stab itself into or wrap itself around a target. This tendril can be pulled back to the user at the same Speed and Strength at the user's will. This technique will remain apparent for up to 4 posts before additional chakra is required.

Sankaton • Erasure Beam
A-rank Ninjutsu
Rather than relying on hand seals the user will press his fingers together, concentrating a large, condensed dose of annihilation Sankaton Chakra into the space around them. A concentrated beam of Sankaton chakra will form in the direction of where the user's hand is pointing. The user is capable of adjusting the beam's length at a Speed up to the user's Control, reaching lengths of up to 20 meters or shrinking down to no more than .5 meters. The overall volume of Sankaton chakra created is equivalent to a 7x7x7m diameter orb. Any inorganic matter that comes into contact with this orb is immediately eaten away by the Sankaton chakra while organic material is eaten through at half the rate. The amount of material that is destroyed is exactly relative to the technique's volume. This technique will remain active until all of the Sankaton chakra is used up or dismissed by the user.
CharacterShow

Return to “Rock Country”