[GRADED] Strengthening Tea, Compassionate Sword

Hiji Lonely Archive

ShinobiTruth

[GRADED] Strengthening Tea, Compassionate Sword

Post by ShinobiTruth » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:33 am

(OOC: This lonely takes place primarily in Fire Country, in the lands that were once called Grass Country.)

The land had changed so much over five years of war. Even though he had walked these main roads many times, they were much firmer underfoot, unnaturally even and smooth from the marching of thousands of soldiers before him. The small villages that had once greeted the outside world now sat reclused behind protective walls. Where the people once walked with calm and poise, they now strode more briskly with urgency and purpose, eyes more critical of their surroundings as weapons now hung from every hip and over every shoulder. Grass Country had been shifted and scarred since Fire Country's takeover. All over the land, their way of life was seeping its way into the lives of the native people who called this place home. Not all things were bad, of course. It would be unfair to say that Fire Country did not rule over their vassal states with some level of fairness. There was access to a greater variety of food, and though perhaps sparingly, certain technologies were slowly making their way out from the walls of that secluded village. Some diseases and infections that commonly proved difficult to treat were now more easily managed and conquered. Still, the heart and soul of this land and its people, its culture and customs, its way of life and deep relationship with nature and the spirits were quickly being interbred with the way of life Fire Country had introduced. It was only a matter of time before the old ways disappeared entirely, the new generation being indoctrinated under the rulership of their new overlords.

Hiji traveled day by day through many towns through which he had been before, most where he had taught before, seeing this reality play out before his eyes again and again. Katana, wakizashi, and tanto hung from near every belt and sash, even those of children. Fire Country samurai patrolled the streets in full armor, cold eyes looking down on the foreigners as they kept watch for danger. Though now at peace, the joy he had once felt traveling through these villages and their markets were muted. Whether it was the occupation or their weariness for a war recently ended, Hiji couldn't be sure, but Grass Country had experienced war before. This... this was not the same. Part of their very souls had been stolen by something... and without knowing the thief's face, Hiji had no way of helping return what had been taken. All he could do is watch, indigo eyes turbulent with preoccupation. His tall stature didn't help things, either. Hiji was abnormally tall, particularly so for one born of this land. He was oft questioned by guards multiple times through each town. Though it heartened him that there were many who seemed to bear no ill will toward his countrymen, and some even bore deep respect for his work as a swordsman and instructor, there were inevitably those who sneered at them. Through their thinly veiled niceties, it was clear they saw the people not as vassals serving their new lord, but as chattel: slaves to their conquerors.

As Hiji walked the last few miles to his hometown, a place not far from the western border of the province (and coincidentally the new territories of Fire Country itself), a pit of anxiety had formed in his chest. It was small, yes, not enough to hinder his way forward, but it was there. Though it was comforting to see that his village's rice fields had remained and even expanded, it also pained him to find that the simple fences that had surrounded his town had been replaced by a fortified double wall, a Fire Country banner flying high from a sentry tower in its center. It had been over five long years since he'd last seen his family, perhaps longer. Were they well? Were they alive? Were any of the townspeople he knew still here or had they been scattered like grains of rice in the winds of a summer storm? It was difficult to not at least consider the worst possibilities. He inhaled as he approached the city walls, still a ways off from-

"Toshizou-sensei!"

A voice rang out, echoing across the waters of the rice paddies. Hiji turned his eyes to catch the source of the sound, and they fell upon a young man hurriedly sloshing toward him through the inundated trench. Though he almost didn't recognize his face, especially with a large scar traveling from his left temple straight down to the back of his neck, Hiji would never forget the single bang of silver hair hanging down the middle of his brow. His recognition came moments before the young man powerfully embraced his master, and Hiji returned it in kind, that pit of anxiety washing away. Not everything was lost. Some part of his past, his legacy, still remained. Though his student sobbed enthusiastically in his arms, Hiji managed to keep his composure, though only just so.

"Sakazuki-kun, my friend! It warms my heart to see you still alive," he reassured quietly, his heart wavering from the waves of emotion that crashed against it. The commotion attracted the eyes of the other villagers working the land, and many recognized the telltale height and indigo attire of their traveling teacher. One single set of footsteps through water turned into an aquatic chorus of splashing and sloshing, and soon the small crowd was in an uproarious clamor of laughter, cheering, and weeping. Hiji's eyes glanced over them, and though some were still very young, he recognized them all. Some had been merely toddlers before he had last left. Others had shown the years of war on their faces and bodies. Yet despite all that had happened, their spirits were not broken. His people still remained in this new land. Hiji's composure fell away, and he too gave way to tears as he embraced each and every one of those that had come to greet him. The little ones he took into his arms, each of them squealing with glee as they were hoisted high off the ground. Hiji could not recall the last time he had laughed so heartily. The moment was pure joy crystalized in a moment of time.

Finally coming down from the high of his rapture, Hiji exhaled and turned to Sakazaki, his countenance a little bit more serious. "My friend, Sakazaki-kun... is my family well? Do they live?"

Hiji was immediately relieved to see him shake his head to the affirmative. "Yes, Sensei, their house was one of few that remains standing from before the war. They sheltered those who lost their homes, and the shinobi even gave your father a position of authority! He collects the harvest into the warehouses and makes sure there's plenty for the village after the shipments are made."

'Shipments?' he thought to himself, his face momentarily flashing with worry. As he took a look around, it didn't seem that any were starving or lacking their daily necessities. Everyone seemed to be in good health, including the children. Good. His countenance brightened, deciding not to worry without cause. "I see. Thank you, everyone. I should not delay in seeing them any longer. I'm certain they've been just as anxious to know my fate as I theirs."

Though the villagers were anxious to see Hiji themselves, they all immediately understood, ushering him on toward the town's gates. Wiping the streaks of tears from his cheeks with his sleeve, Hiji composed himself, the dopamine deadening him to some of the concern he had only a few moments ago. It was clear that the guards had been keeping an eye on him during the entire commotion, and it became apparent that these here held the people in particular contempt. This dampened Hiji's joy to a point, but he refused to let it extinguish it entirely. As a warrior would, Hiji began sizing them up. Though few possessed his height (it was an abnormal trait outside of the Great Shinobi Villages), Hiji could tell that these Fire Country samurai wielded their yari with proficiency, even by the manner at which they held them at attention. Though their personalities were found pitifully wanting, their skill was undeniable. Hiji never intended to start fights, but the war had taught him to always be prepared for one lest disaster struck. Producing his traveling papers in the form of a scroll, Hiji introduced himself. "Gentlemen, I've come to visit my parents. I am originally from this village. This is my home," he stated, bowing to the guards in respect, his hands in his sleeves.

Opening his scroll, the guards scowled, looking at the scroll, up to him, and then back at the scroll. He could see the sneer forming on the second guard's face as they examined his credentials. "A traveling teacher? You carry few belongings, traveler... What could you possibly be teaching?" the second guard jeered.

Hiji did not return his sarcasm. He would be vindicated by virtue. "I teach the sword to those who have not the fortune of a master in their hometowns," he replied plainly, keeping his voice level, calm, and dignified.

The first guard snorted. "Is that right? Well then, sensei, what style do you teach, hm? Shinden? Toryu, maybe? Your records say you've traveled in Pebble before, but your sword is too long for it," he asked pointedly, clearly wishing to demonstrate the visitor as incompetent.

Hiji shook his head once. "My style is my own. But I teach swordsmanship fundamentals to my students. My students must find their own path on their journey of the sword. I do not impose my own principles on them."

The second guard laughed derisively. "A teacher who doesn't teach his own style? Ha! You hear that, Yato? Where do you think most of his 'students' are right now?"

Hiji's eyes narrowed, any trace of a smile on his face now gone. His face was seemingly expressionless, but anyone who knew him would tell that he was not amused.

"Probably dead, Shiki, if the rest of the peasant towns in this country are as pitiful as this one," the first guard stated, spitting in contempt. "Maybe that's why this country was so easy to conquer: fools like him that don't know how to handle a sword properly."

Hiji didn't particularly care about what they thought of him. However, insults to his students were not something he was wholly prepared to handle. He took no overt action, but both his eyes and his ki sharpened, seeming to cut the air as a glass knife as the wind began to softly stir with Hiji's energy. The guards, competent warriors, sensed this immediately, and their grips tightened as they brought their spears to bear. The second guard, his grin and voice dripping with venom, drew his wakizashi and pointed it up at Hiji. "Ya know, you should be careful where you're pointing those eyes. I'm feeling a little threatened... and if you keep up your insubordination, well... I might just make you show me that hidden style of yours, sensei."

Hiji sought to calm his spirit, but he struggled to do so. Why had the villagers not told him of these venomous vipers who ruled over them here?! If this was the way they treated and antagonized a total stranger, Hiji could only imagine how they treated the villagers. The guards' energy also pulsed outward, pushing against Hiji's and stirring the wind up further. Despite the fact that individually, Hiji's energy surpassed theirs, the guards were unafraid. They presented a joint front that was enough to stand against him. Hiji's hands fell from his sleeves slowly. He would not be denied the sight of his parents. Not again. "...Are you going to let me in or not?" Hiji asked, voice calm, low, and sharp. He was done playing games.

Yato brandished his spear. "And if we refuse?" he asked pointedly, not budging a millimeter.

Hiji had sincerely hoped to avoid this, especially given his new allegiance to Fuhen. The only solace he drew was that there were many eyewitnesses who could attest to the virtue of his actions; the villagers in the field were all clearly watching, greatly concerned at what would befall their countryman. Hiji's hand slowly moved towards his katana. The guards hungrily watched.

"Hiji!"

The kindly old woman's voice cut through the tempest like a warm blade through a chilled cake. The guards, ironically caught off-guard, watched as an elderly villager walked up to Hiji as hurriedly as her little legs could manage. Hiji recognized her almost immediately as the shopkeep's wife, a dear family friend, and his pleasant countenance restored almost immediately. "Obaa-san, it is wonderful to see you. I truly missed you."

The little woman was ecstatic. "Oh, my boy, it's a miracle that you've come back in one piece! I still remember you when you were this tall!" she exclaimed, lifting her hand to just below half her height. "We must take you to see your parents, we simply must!"

The guards, finally regaining their senses after having been so disoriented, began to protest. "Ma'am, we have to-"

She turned to them, her sweet countenance and smile almost as stifling as her interjection. "Oh, look at you guards, protecting our town so well! Here, have my famous onigiri with pork cutlet in the middle. You are both so skinny!"

Shiki blinked, clearly confused as a sticky rice ball with nori was placed into his and his partner's hands before she took Hiji by the hand and led him through the gates into the village before giving way to thinly veiled rage. This was only further amplified by the fact that his partner began to eat the forbidden fruit that was this outstanding pork and chive onigiri. Hiji smirked as the two descended into childish arguing and namecalling as he was led away.
Evening had fallen, and after a joyous family reunion filled with tears, Hiji emerged from his childhood home clad in robes of white. The workers were returning from the fields and washing clean in preparation for the ceremony in the evening. The rurouni's return had been serendipitous in its timing; the annual prayers to the spirits of the plains for fruitful harvest in the coming fall were to begin this evening, continuing throughout the week. It was a tradition that Hiji had carried with him in his travels, making a small prayer over every offering of food given to him instead, which often included the cash crop. To be able to return to his roots and be with his kinsmen was a privilege he didn't know he'd ever have again once the war broke out, yet he was witness to the very first since the war had ended.

Hiji smiled at seeing the villagers crossing to and fro through the town center, many of them already clad in similar white robes. Theirs were of a simpler make, however; Hiji, already beloved by the people and now returning as something they considered to be a war hero, had been given the distinct honor of leading the ritual for this year. Normally, the priest would have already been chosen for the ceremony, but it had been difficult for the overburdened town elders to meet as often as before due to their own family obligations. Thus, his robes bore fine, hand-sewn, embroidered blossoms of reds, blues, and cream at the buffs of the sleeves and along the bottom rim of his ceremonial jōe. It was a miracle that his mother and father had been able to produce such a fine garment in such a short amount of time, but he suspected that the whole village had been involved in its looming. He wore them with deep gratitude for the honor he'd received, though it did flush his cheeks red to see the young women of the village gaze upon him and giggle sheepishly from across the town square. He was still very much a timid man and still flustered bashfully from the attention of women, despite his relationship with Suzume.

The thought of her sent a tinge of grief through Hiji's heart. He still missed her deeply, but he knew that she would have not given her love, however briefly, if she knew he would wallow in despair from her passing. He owed it to her memory to live on and to carry himself with the dignity she sought for herself and others.

Despite the robes being white, the people also expressed their individuality through an accessory or item they would carry with them during the ceremony. While this was not specifically required, it also was not forbidden. For the young women, it was often a modest piece of jewelry, a hair clip or comb, flowers, or a wagasa. For men, it was often a tool of harvest in its sheath, though it could also be a charm or some sort of personal trinket. For Hiji, he carried a bokuto. Metal farming tools had to be covered or sheathed, and metal weapons were strictly forbidden. Inari-kami did not tolerate violence in his temple or during worship, as a bountiful harvest could only be guaranteed during times of peace. Though it felt uncomfortable to part with his katana and wakizashi, likely a sign of the mental scars he suffered from the war, it was important for him to be faithful to the spirits as he always had been.

Before he even knew it, the evening had come, and the people walked through the streets quietly, each of them carrying a lantern. Walking the well-kept roads to the temple in the east of the town, they would ascend the staircase, reflecting in silence over all they had to be grateful for. Though the god of the village was mainly a deity of harvest, their domain of worship also included gratitude and humility. She was an enemy to greed and arrogance, and to break the silence unnecessarily was seen as viewing your own voice as being more important than the spiritual purity of the village itself. All were included, from the mighty to the feeble, young to old, prominent to insignificant. Even if there were serious matters of strife between certain friends or family, this ritual was a symbol of the unity of the village to each other's wellbeing. Still, not all was the same. They were a conquered people now, and those who did not know or did not understand were among them. Travelers were often commonfolk like themselves, and though they did not participate, they did have the good sense to refrain from speaking or from causing too much noise. The samurai of the Fire Country, however, did not show such courtesy or respect for their ways. They walked the same, talked the same. Many used foul language and the particularly contemptible in their ranks spat at the feet of those observing, thinking them little more than unintelligent peons. Hiji was quick to notice the uncertain eyes of some of the villagers who were among the procession, but he remained calm. In his current role, he was not a warrior, but a priest. The people would closely watch him and follow his example. Thus, despite his desire to confront those who so callously disrespected Inari-kami and his worshippers, Hiji endured and kept his eyes ahead, his composure cool and collected. The people both drew strength from his example and supported him, not allowing themselves to be discouraged by those too ignorant or arrogant to understand.

They arrived at the temple, a site that had been recently restored after being badly damaged in the war. Hiji's eyes widened at the sight. He'd never seen the temple look so pristine! The aged wood had been replaced with fresh pine, the wood painted red and finished with a fine lacquer. The stones had been freshly hewn from a quarry, and the ground felt so even that perhaps not even a single stone was out of place. The walls had been rebuilt and the hedges replanted, and it seems that the people had even had the initiative to create lamp posts upon which the villagers could hang the lamps. As they entered, each villager walked to a different lamp post and hung their lantern upon it, a sign of unity for the villagers. Hiji as the priest would hang his lantern last after the people had assembled on their knees before the rice offering. Incense would be burned and a cleansing ritual, involving the waiving of an ōnusa over the parishioners and a ritual dance that all villagers were taught since childhood. The priest for this ritual was not chosen lightly; some who received the privilege trained for many days to build the stamina necessary to maintain the dance. Hiji, one of only a handful who had chosen to become a warrior in this village, was a prime candidate, and though any could potentially be chosen to represent the people before Inari-kami, those who were physically fit or full of vitality were often selected by the town elders.

At last, the people had assembled, and Hiji hung his lantern upon the post set for the priest. Lowering himself to his knees, he bowed slowly to the rice offering seven times in silent prayer, which the people imitated. Hiji then rose to his feet, delicately taking the ōnusa into his hand. Turning back to face the people, Hiji held the ritual wand out before him toward the villagers. He caught sight of his parents, whose eyes seemed to beam with joy and pride. Hiji inhaled deeply, breathing out slowly as he began the controlled waving movements of the dance, the steps and twists becoming increasingly more complex and almost acrobatic as time went on. Inari-kami's patron animal was the fox, and its patron element was the warm winds which promoted a good harvest. The dance was meant to emulate the grace and poise of both of these emblems, and Hiji's memory combined with his martial experience to create a choreography that was truly breathtaking. The soft tinkling of bells attached to the end of the religious wand was the only sound that punctuated the silence of this sacred ritual, and the sense of peace that came over those in attendance was profound.

A light glistening of sweat coated Hiji's brow as he ended the dance from the same position where it began, thrusting the ōnusa into the sky toward the full moon. His long black hair, having swung to and fro in the wind during the ritual gently came to rest behind him. Slowly lowering the wand down in front of his face, Hiji turned and returned it to the table where he had retrieved it from in front of the rice offering before returning to his spot and lowering himself to his knees once again. He would then offer the only words that would be uttered during the entire ritual, a prayer on behalf of the entire village. "Inari-kami-sama, we give our thanks. Your winds protect us. Your crops feed and nourish us. Your natural beauty inspires us. Please, Inari-kami-sama, continue to grant us your bountiful harvest, your unending protection, your boundless beauty. May you live forever, and may we be blessed by your grace."

Bowing his head once more, the villagers followed in kind. In his heart, he gave a sigh of relief. Good. Nothing had befallen them. The rest of the evening's worship would be-

The rustling of trees and the telltale pitter-patter of sandaled feet landing on stone erupted from his right side, then his left, then all around. His spirits sank, recognizing the sound for what it was: the arrival of shinobi. There is no possible way that they arrived without intending to cause trouble or harm. Calmly rising from his feet, he leveled his eyes at the front-most source of the sound. Around the perimeter of the temple crouching on the walls were no fewer than ten shinobi, each wearing the normal flak jackets and long sleeves of the Leaf. Despite this, their uniforms were colored differently than other shinobi he had seen during the war. This unit in particular seemed to specialize in night operations if their grey vests and overall shadow-colored attire said anything about it. They all also bore animal-themed kabuki masks, but they did not have the telltale tactical vests of the mysterious Leaf Anbu agents. Hiji's eyes narrowed; they had just arrived, and already, things were amiss. The only one of them standing bore ominous shining eyes of bright red, visible even through his own lupine-themed mask. They would be beautiful if they didn’t drip with spite and ominous intent.

Hiji could feel the fear of the people spike at the sight. He had to take command of the situation. ”Inari-kami-sama kindly greets you, shinobi. To what do we owe the privilege? If your men wish to join us, we do not restrict our worship only to our people, so long as you adhere to the tenets and customs of the ritual,” he offered with a smile, attempting to maintain the peace while keeping a sharp eye on their reactions.

The red eyes seemed to ignore him entirely, instead scanning the villagers behind him. Those red eyes seemed to fix and sharpen on a particular item, and the soft tap of sandals landing on stone broke the silence. This was further shattered by the sudden cry of an elderly man being aggressively lifted by his collar. The people whimpered as the shinobi took a harvesting sickle from the man’s sash and tossed it to the leader who slowly pulled the farming tool from its protective leather scabbard. After a few more tense moments of silence whilst the blade was visually examined, the aggressor finally spoke. ”Is there a reason why I shouldn’t have you all arrested as spies? The gall to brandish weapons in the presence of shinobi and samurai here defies reason” he accused pointedly, his voice gravely and mirthless.

Hiji sensed profound danger from this one, more so than the others. Hiji was hardly a saint; he had slain men in his travels and especially during the war. But this man's ledger dripped crimson, his eagerness to kill so apparent that his hands might as well have been coated in blood. Still, Hiji maintained that ever-pleasant smile, though he would not take the accusation of his people being rebels lying down. If that even remotely stuck, their lives would be forfeit. "Well... is there a reason you should suspect the people?" he replied, countering vicious paranoia with calm logic. "These people are peaceful farmers, sir shinobi. We worship Inari-kami-sama in the conviction that doing so will bless us with a bountiful harvest. It is customary for us to present an item of great personal importance as a visual offering. As a village of farmers, surely it would not be out of place to see a common sickle for threshing grain at such a religious ceremony."

Indigo and crimson lights clashed under the pale moonlight as their eyes met yet again. It was clear that this man was formidable, likely at least as strong as Hiji himself was. However, in a battle of wills, Hiji would not be easily conquered. His enemy seemed to realize this intuitively. Thus, he immediately changed tactics. "And you somehow think that your religious freedom should be prioritized over the security of our nation? You're either naive or you're insulting my intelligence, neither of which I will tolerate. I uprooted numerous rebel cells in backwater villages like this one. These lands were once allied with our enemies, particularly those bastards in Earth Country. Your pretty words are a waste of my time. If your people are as peaceful as they claim, then they'll have no problem answering a few questions," he refuted, snapping his fingers.

The shriek of a child, twelve at the oldest, ripped through the night as one of the shinobi had ripped him straight from the arms of his mother. She panicked, reaching for her boy, begging for him to be let go. Her father also acted on the protective instinct to protect his child, screaming and charging at the assailant. Two of the shinobi's partners immediately threw kunai at the advancing parent, their weapons aimed to gouge out his eyes. Hiji's countenance immediately changed; his body seemed to flicker into action as he placed his body between himself and the kunai, drawing and swinging wide with his bokuto to deflect the projectiles. His mind immediately began to race, realizing that this situation was deteriorating rapidly. His people were about to be subject to a massacre. How many could he save before they took his life? Five? Ten? Even one? Sharp indigo eyes surveyed the enemy combatants-

"Enough. I will go with your men."

The all-too-familiar voice was followed by the sound of two simultaneous strikes and an unfamiliar grunt. Hiji turned, his eyes hard with concern and wide with shock as they rest upon his father, Satoshi, having nearly crushed the wrist of the shinobi that had grabbed the child before striking the outside of his elbow. The shinobi hadn't expected competent resistance and had been caught unawares. His father's eyes were firm and determined, unafraid as he lowered his hands slowly, even as more of the shinobi drew their weapons. The people threatened to rise up, but Satoshi held his hand up to them, bidding they stop. After a tense few moments, they reluctantly complied. Lowering his hand, it was only the soft sobbing of the parents who had nearly lost their child to the grips of these unequivocally tyrannical ninjas. Hiji's eyes sought his fathers, and Satoshi met them, but only with a slow nod. Even now, Hiji knew that his father's actions showed deep wisdom. By surrendering himself to their interrogation, he protected the town and its reputation. Turning back to the lead shinobi, he turned and bowed. "Our deepest apologies, shinobi-san. Our people have seen many terrible things from enemy shinobi during the war. So that I may prove our earnest intent, I surrender myself to you for questioning. I will most certainly be more useful to you than a mere child."

Hiji's eyes met again with the lead shinobi, whose attention was solely fixed on the rurouni, his aura ripping through the wind and crashing against Hiji's own. The two immaterial forces meeting was so violent that the wind stirred. The crimson-eyed shinobi was clearly agitated, aware that Hiji's father had placed him between a rock and a hard place. There were too many potential witnesses to forcefully assert his corrupt authority. His fighting spirit quieted frighteningly fast to the point where it even caught Hiji unawares. The night quieted, and with a brief hand signal, Hiji was forced to watch as his father was taken into custody. His mother, Hinata, rose to stand by Hiji's side, her face stoic but her eyes filled with worry. Satoshi nodded at Hiji, and Hiji returned the gesture. It was clear what was said between them.

'Take care of your mother, my son.'

'With even my life, father.'

The other shinobi quickly jumped away into the night as Hiji's father was led away. His heart sank as he and the people stood helpless, only the gentle wind of the summer night to bring them comfort.
Three days had passed, and Toshizou Satoshi had not returned.

A palpable sense of fear and anxiety had quickly overtaken the village, one that had not been present even with the equally prejudiced Fire Country samurai present. Young ones now walked carefully, whispering instead of gleefully shouting, the elderly kept a keen watch on passersby looking for anything out of place, and the women and men were more sullen, almost dejected as they continued about their daily work. Hiji couldn’t pretend like it didn’t affect him, and his mother had struggled to sleep or eat for the entire time he’d been gone, but Hiji did kn0w the importance of positivity and faith in the spirits. So, despite how difficult it was to do so, he kept a smile upon his face and tended to the needs of the villagers in his father’s place.

Their village did not have a mayor; instead, its civilian population was led by a group of family heads simply referred to as the town elders. Though they weren’t above petty squabbles at times, they generally led the town in a spirit of wisdom and unity, seeking what they earnestly thought was best for everyone in the long run. Up until this point, despite more judicial matters now being handed to their Fire Country overlords, the town’s elders were still given control of all civil matters so long as they didn’t conflict with Fire Country law. Despite his youth, Hiji was respected for his unnatural wisdom and devout nature. Given these factors, Hiji was asked to take Satoshi’s place at the meeting until such a time he returned. It was an honor that Hiji accepted with bittersweet feelings, and he was certain the elders felt the same. No one had expected what occurred naught three days before. For now, all they could do was make the best of their situation.

Hiji headed to one of the elder’s homes after visiting the last of the families, the very same whose son had been accosted during the first night of the festival. It was difficult to see them still so distraught, and Hiji held their worries close to his heart, almost as heavy as the katana which hung from his hip. The father’s words clearly echoed in the rurouni’s mind as he walked:

’We struggled to survive five long years of war, a war they benefited from. We did not fight against them when they took over our land. We have obeyed their laws and lived peacefully with them, even though they insult us to our faces… and then they try to take my son? Why must we suffer these indignities?’

‘…Have the gods abandoned us? What have we done to deserve this?’

Hiji searched for the answers within the confines of his own reason. He found himself wanting.

Sliding the door open to the residence, Hiji was very punctual, being one of the first to arrive. The elder’s wife received him with a wide smile as he removed his sandals, a gesture which Hiji repaid in kind along with a bow before she led him to the room where the meeting was to be held. Two of the elders were already present, though most had yet to arrive. Hiji offered a deep bow of respect before taking his place, quietly observing and only answering questions when asked directly as he waited for the rest of the elders to arrive. Though many of the elders still had vitality and youthful appearances, Hiji was the youngest by a significant margin. Though he himself didn't place a terrible amount of importance on someone's age, the elders likely didn't feel the same way. Even though these were his people, he still had to take care that he didn't overstep his bounds. Finally, the last of the elders arrived, and they began the meeting.

Much of the meeting was about the basic management of the village: food stores, medicine and concerns about diseases, the harvest, tending to the aged and infirmed, and education of the young, amongst other more secular themes. Hiji was relieved in the sense that the topics were so simple. He could simply give his reports and offer practical suggestions when asked instead of having to grapple with complex socio-ethical problems... but he held his optimism back. The meeting wasn't over, and it was almost a guarantee that what had happened but three days ago would enter the discussion. Hiji tempered his expectations as the meeting continued, simply sticking to the matters being discussed at the moment.

Finally, the end of the meeting had arrived. The chairman and secretary, an elderly man by the name of Iida, looked down the list. "Well, that should cover everything. Was there any other matters we needed to discuss?" he asked, looking around the room. Instead of a simple affirmation or a raised hand, however, Hiji felt the arrival of a sudden, palpable tension in the air as the elders looked at each other. More than a few stole a glance at Hiji himself, almost as if to ask permission to speak of the incident. Exhaling slowly, Hiji rose and checked all of the exits to the room, his sharp eyes scrutinizing his surroundings as thoroughly as possible. Closing the door slowly and quietly, Hiji returned to his spot at the table before nodding, every eye in the room now fixed upon him. They nodded in acknowledgment and thanks. There was no avoiding this. It had to be discussed.

Iida set the secretarial scroll aside, ink drying slowly as he composed his thoughts. "When the Fire Country came to our lands, we knew that their promises might come burdened with half-truths and poison," the man started. "Despite this, we continued with our way of life as best we could. And though we suffer the disdain of the Daimyo's samurai, they can still be reasoned with. We still have no want for food, and we benefit from their medicines and trade routes, as they promised. We are not a hateful people, and I am proud of that. Our humble village was one of only a few that suffered no losses in the war, as we largely maintained a non-violent and neutral stance. The spirits truly blessed us."

Many heads nodded, but their faces communicated different responses. Some were attentive, stoic, merely listening to Iida. Others' countenance brightened, eager to grasp onto the positive. Yet still others' had shadows overcast over their eyes, aware of the terrifying implications of their new visitors... nay, their new overlords. Iida soon showed what perspective he shared, his old hand beginning to shake, and his steady eyes wavering in fear. "...And yet I fear the days ahead of us now. These shinobi... they are not like the Samurai who patrol our town and reside in the garrison. They do not show restraint. They do not show compassion. Their willingness, their eagerness to do harm... Do they not realize that we are no longer at war? Do they hate peace?" he asked quietly, knowing full well that neither he nor his colleagues had the answers he sought as far as he knew.

One of the elders beside Iida reached out to place a hand upon his shoulder, doing their best to comfort the elderly man. Iida's words, however, had resonated with everyone in the room, and aside from battling his own preoccupation, Hiji noticed the downcast look that now danced across the face of every single person in that room. Hiji thought deeply about what he should say, waiting for the input of others. He was certain that other elders would have something to say, and he didn't have to wait long to find out what. "The eyes of their leader... they dripped with contempt and bloodlust," he recounted, his voice haunted. "Had Hiji-kun... no, Hiji-sensei and Satoshi-san not been with us, there's no telling what else might have happened that night."

Hiji didn't have time to be surprised by the respect of being addressed by his more formal honorific; the pauses between speech grew shorter. "We are faithful to the spirits, to Inari-kami-sama, and yet they still walk the streets and stalk the rooftops of our village. Have we displeased the gods somehow?" a third elder asked. Now the whispering started, and the contents of their hearts spilled out.

"My grandchildren haven't been able to sleep because of what happened. They ask about Satoshi-san, and all I can tell them is that the spirits are watching over him, protecting him... but I worry more and more every day for him and for us."

"I feel so frustrated sitting here, feeling like we are powerless. Have we considered making an appeal to the Daimyo? Perhaps even the Hokage?"

"Do we have the time to wait that long? More and more villagers have reported being harassed and aggressively questioned by the shinobi already, and it's only been three days!"

"We can't simply let this stand. Perhaps this is a sign from the spirits. We need to do something!"

The tone of the elders began to become increasingly agitated, and Hiji became increasingly worried by the aggression that was creeping into their voices. Hiji knew that he would have to intervene. Eventually, one elder said what was ruminating in the mind of every single person there aside from Hiji himself, a sentence that filled the samurai with dread. "The time for inaction is over. We need to take up arms. We must fight!"

"Venerable elders, please hear me!"

His voice cut through the noise, and all of the elders fell silent as they turned to gaze upon him. They would find Hiji with his head bowed deeply eyes staring hard at the grain of the wood in the table. Hiji knew that his next words could very well decide the fate of not only the men in this room, but the village as a whole. "Please, think carefully of what you say you wish to do. I teach the sword to help others find themselves. To help others learn respect for others and self, to gain dignity... to show compassion through restraint of power," he explained. "But the very first lesson I teach any of my students is this: swordsmanship is a means to kill. When you hold true steel in your hands, you possess the power to take something precious from another: their very lives. I teach them that life should be taken only when it is necessary to protect your own and only when it is necessary to protect others. A careless hand with a blade only begets senseless violence. And senseless violence only brings more senseless violence upon you and those you cherish."

Hiji raised his head, now looking directly at the silent elders, whose eyes were still laser-focused on him, their ears hanging off of his every word. "We are not merely chattel. We do not have to withstand these indignities without end. But while we pursue the options that are available to us, we may need to endure them for a time. Please, please, do not give up hope. Do not give out," the teacher implored. "Remember, a single act of needless bloodshed caused a war that ravaged the world for five long years. A single brash action caused the end of tens of thousands of lives and the suffering of countless more. Do we truly want to bring that upon our village without pursuing absolutely every other option first? Do we wish to condemn our children to a life of misery and strife because we acted in haste? I beseech you, venerable elders. Please see reason... Please."

The silence that hung in the room afterward was palpable, so thick that it almost suffocated everyone within it. "And you still hold to these principles? Even with your father still missing?" Iida asked pointedly. He didn't mean to be harsh, but the elderly man had to be sure of Hiji's resolve.

It almost waivered, but remembering his father's lessons helped him remain strong, even though he was dangerously close to tears. "I do, Iida-dono," he replied, his voice strained from emotion.

The silence hung for a few tense moments more. Finally, one of the elders broke that tension, much to Hiji's relief. "Hiji-sensei... you are wise beyond your years. We will follow your counsel and report these happenings to the Daimyo and the Hokage. Your courage will not be in vain. Were it not for your bravery in speaking to us... We would have chosen a terrible path. Thank you."

Hiji was already emotionally compromised with the conversation before, and what came next caused the dam to break. Many of these men had been mentors, practically family, to him. To see them all now bowing deeply to him overwhelmed him and the soft pitch of his short breaths punctuated the solemn silence as he returned the gesture. "Th-Thank you, venerable elders," he choked out quietly. "I will do all I can to s-support you wherever you might need it."

Hiji felt two hands on his shoulders, one to each side. He drew strength from their compassion, and he was able to recompose himself. Hiji looked up, and he saw that he was hardly the only one misty-eyed at the table now. Despite their suffering, they were still able to stand for the peace they so deeply cherished and sought to uphold. Hiji was assured that his faith had not been in vain. There was still hope.

A sudden commotion at the front door of the house drew the attention of Hiji and all of the elders. Hiji's eyes widened in recognition as he recognized the voice of his student, Sakazuki. He was calling his name. Rising up from the table, Hiji quickly opened the door to the room and made his way to the front door. Sakazuki raised his eyes to meet his teachers, and Hiji knew immediately that something was terribly, horribly wrong. His voice strained with grief much like Hiji's before, he managed to finally spit out the words:

"Satoshi-san... They found him... He... H-He..!"
Migikiriage!

A bokuto swung through the air, slicing through an invisible opponent's right forearm and wrist. A mist of sweat glistened on Hiji's brow despite the cool morning dew outside the dojo.

Hidarinagi!

Flipping the blade and shifting his grip, the bokuto swung sharply and up slashing at the shadow's left bicep.

Karatake!

Stepping forward, Hiji clave the illusion from the crown to the groin, channeling the dropping momentum after the slash into an advancing spin.

Tsuki!

Driving the channeled momentum forward into a lunge, the bokuto pierced his enemy's heart, fading away like the same mist that covered the ground outside, leaving Hiji alone with the sound of his breathing.

For several weeks, Hiji had spent every morning in the dojo, practicing the drills he had been studying for his future students. Fuhen had made it clear that he aspired for Hijikata to teach not basic swordsmanship but his own style. At first, Hiji had been apprehensive of the prospect. He'd traditionally felt that to teach his own style would be to impose his principles onto others, and each person should be allowed to choose their own way in life. Fuhen had helped him understand, though, that if the student did not find value in the principles that he taught that they could simply go elsewhere. Those that stayed would stay not by force, but by choice, and that choice would be motivated by their appreciation of those principles and the desire to imitate them. This created a well of enthusiasm with Hiji, one that he hadn't expected from such a revelation. Despite everything that had happened since he'd returned home to his village, he pushed himself to further refine his techniques, and his efforts were paying off both in the skill and accuracy of his execution as well as the emotional vent it provided for his frustrations. Having something to aspire to was key to maintaining any level of emotional stability in the situation his village now found itself in.

He could still recall the day his father had finally returned from his "interrogation." He had never seen his father so blooded, battered, bruised. They had spent many a night in agony at the prospect that he might not survive his injuries. Hiji had spent many of those nights consoling his distraught mother, equally frustrated at her own powerlessness to prevent such a thing from falling her beloved. It was all Hiji could do to not immediately burst through the gates of the garrison and demand a duel with the shinobi commander who now resided there, the unhinged lunatic he was. Many of his injuries he was still recovering from: numerous broken ribs, a fracture of the skull above his brow, a broken leg, multiple sprains and hyperextension of joints and ligaments... the list went on. Despite this, Satoshi's spirit had never faltered, giving Hiji yet another reason to deeply respect him. Had he broken, it's likely they would have outright killed him.

The elders had taken Hiji's words to heart, and despite the increasing injustices that their people had faced, instead of merely keeping silent and enduring, they had instructed the villagers to keep close track of each other and the shinobis' activity. Each time someone saw something, they were instructed to go home and put it on paper. They were also instructed to make another copy, in the event that each of the caches of evidence was found. Over several weeks, a stockpile of damning evidence had been built up against their shinobi overseers. Each elder kept a portion of those documents at their homes, and given that they regularly checked on the well-being of each of the villagers, it was not considered odd or unusual to see them walking the streets in the evening. There had been a number of close calls, but up until this point, it didn't seem that their plan was being derailed any time soon. Their patience would soon pay off.

His training for the day ended, Hiji took to the bath, one his mother had been kind enough to prepare for him in advance. After washing himself diligently with cool water and soap, Hiji tied his hair and sunk into the warm bath, closing his eyes. For Hiji, it was hard not to be nostalgic soaking in the water like this. It took him back to his time with Suzume. The days he had spent under her tutelage, the evenings they had spent sharing conversations and perhaps a sparing cup of Sake... their final night together. The loneliness that he carried with him welled up within him again, troublesome as it was. It was still hard to believe she was gone, even after more than five years. Shortly after he dedicated himself to her cause and left, she vanished without a trace. When he had returned to Dragon Country, her dojo had been ransacked and destroyed by shinobi forces. Her death was a blow so deep that he had to take time to mourn her loss. When he closed his eyes, he could still remember everything about her: that coy yet endearing smile, her somber yet kind words, the quiet strength she exuded... the taste of her lips, the smell of her hair, the velvet touch of her bare skin upon his own and the heat of bodies and hearts intertwined. She was the first woman with whom he had shared both his love and his passion, and though she was now resting in the next world, Hiji would always carry a part of her with him. Even with the loneliness came peace, the joy he shared with her in friendship and love resonating even more deeply than his pain at her loss. Her memory and the principles she stood for would live on through him and his disciples forever.

His body soon relaxed from the warm waters, Hiji rose from the bath and dried himself, returning to his normal indigo attire before visiting his father's room. He knocked on the doorframe before announcing himself. "Otou-san, it is I," he announced.

His father replied, his voice not betraying his still-compromised health. "Come in, my son," he replied.

Hiji slid the door open, the sunlight beaming through the open door to the small courtyard. Though there were still many bruises on Satoshi's body, they were continuing to heal, a testament to his father's strength and resilience. Entering the room and closing the door behind him, Hiji knelt at his father's side. "How are your injuries healing, father?" he asked plainly, his concern evident.

His father chuckled. "My son, we are past the point of worrying about my mortality. Allow yourself peace. All is well. I will likely be back fully in nary a day or two. I am already able to tend to most things by myself. Hinata only needs to help me with a few small matters." His words sought to reassure his son while also sharing and gathering information. "No, my concerns lie with our village. I've heard whispers here and there of what has befallen our people, but today seems oddly quiet."

Hiji's eyes narrowed. "How so, father?"

Satoshi’s brow furrowed slightly. ”The other elders have visited me regularly to share what they know. Normally, they visit whenever something indecent or improper occurred by the hands of the shinobi,” he explained. ”They also told me that your petition was what led to the collection of evidence against them. You make me proud, son,” he added, placing his hand upon his shoulder and giving a firm squeeze as his eyes beamed.

Hiji couldn’t help the smile that graced his features despite his consternation. ”I am honored to be your son, father,” Hiji replied. ”And the elders? What did they report to you today?”

Satoshi’s features darkened. ”That’s just it, my son. They’ve had nothing to report for the last three days.”

Hiji immediately understood what that meant. ”A brief respite before a great storm. What could they be planning?”

Satoshi shook his head. ”I know not the way of these shinobi, aside from what they’ve already shown. We must be vigilant. I’m certain whatever they do next we will also send word of to their Hokage.”

Hiji took a moment to collect his thoughts. So far everything they had done had antagonized the village and its people, certainly, but nothing had been permanently taken from them. They still lived their lives as they normally did. Was Crimson Eyes simply arrogant, content to abuse his current post? No, that couldn’t be right. His ferocity was based on a twisted conviction, an evil vision he sought to make a reality. He clearly thought any who weren’t native to the Fire Country were scum and vermin. What was the worst pain he could inflict upon his enemies?

Hiji’s worry was clear on his face. He’d experienced the answer many times during the war. He’d turn them against each other. But that still led to another question: how? Their village was close-knit, united and keenly aware of the tyranny the shinobi wielded against them. How could they possibly sow dissent amongst a suspicious population? If there was an obvious answer, Hiji was blind to it. ”I will communicate with the elders, father, and tell them to keep on the watch. Whatever the shinobi are planning, we must be ready to respond.”

Satoshi nodded, though he offered a word of caution. ”Be patient, my son. Though you’ve wisdom of your own, I know you fight against a hasty spirit that seeks justice and righteousness. Let the waters within your heart settle, and the path before you will become clear.”

He nodded as he rose. ”I will, Otou-san.”

Leaving his father to his rest, Hiji took to the fields first, checking in on the farmers, not ignorant to the increased weariness on their faces. He went to each of them, talked with them, encouraged them. Though they knew they still had to endure further, knowing they were still together was enough to lift their spirits, even if not fully. He repeated this process for each trade shop before moving onto the families. He did not rush them, knowing that many would need to confide in him with their problems and fears. With a patient ear, he would listen, giving what comfort and wisdom he could. By the time he was done, much of the day had already passed, and the sky was painted a bright orange as he began to return home.

A shadow flickered from the corner of his eye; and Hiji’s eyes caught the faintest movement in the distance, well past the village walls. It was so subtle that only one as skilled as he or perhaps his father in the arts of war would ever perceive it. The thick grass swayed in a slightly unnatural way, counter to the flow of the wind. Such movement implied the presence of a creature, and given how fast it was moving, it couldn’t be a mere animal. Hiji had a strong suspicion of what caused that anomaly, one he knew he had to confirm despite the danger.

Quietly slipping out of town, Hiji took to his full speed, heading for the forest north of the village where he’d seen the apparition moving toward. He eventually made his way into the woods, slowing down and taking more care on where he stepped so as to not cause noise. As he headed further into the trees, his eyes found what he was looking for, his suspicion vindicated: two of the shinobi, speaking in a hushed overtone. They were somewhat careless as they were not speaking purely in whispers, thinking no one was there to listen in on them.

”Hojo’s handed down the order. We’re moving the cargo tonight.”

”Finally… I wanna get back to base. Getting the transfer ready is always exhausting.”

Hiji reflexively knelt, shrinking his profile. His eyes hardened. There would be no need to meet here if they were only talking about the trade shipments of rice. They could easily discuss this at the garrison. The shinobis’ reasons for being here were more nefarious. Hiji listened intently as they continued.

”Did we finish forging their citizenship documents?”

”Yeah, those got finished yesterday. All that’s let now is to round them up. You’d think Hojo would want to recruit from home; it seems like it’d be a lot easier.”

”Negative, he won’t sacrifice our own flesh and blood. He and the samurai want the dirty work to be done with dirty hands.”

”Right, right. Better to train up young expendables than get blood on the hands of our own children. So we use the samurai’s conscription laws to ‘procure’ the kids from this rink-dink village. We get half for our cell and the samurai get half. Will the boats be ready when we arrive?”

”Affirmative. We’ll ferry the children south to avoid detection before heading east to the island. Same as always. Like taking candy from a baby.”

Hiji’s heartbeat pounded in his head, overwhelmed by the sickening realization of their plan: they weren’t merely trying to cause divisions in the village. They were harvesting it, reaping their youth and future from the villagers’ very hands to turn into expendable soldiers, and they were twisting the laws of the Fire Country to achieve it. If that weren't enough, the samurai seemed to be in league with this shinobi plot! He had to stop this.

*sniff sniff* “…Head back to the village. Let Hojo know that we’re ready to move. I’ll finish up things here.”

A pause. ”…Affirmative. Make it quick.”

One of the men departed through the trees. This was bad. Hiji had to move to stop him before-

The sound of ripping earth and shattering wood rung out through the forest as Hiji sensed an untimely death rushing at him from his right side. In a flash of flesh and steel, Hiji drew his sword and cut cleanly through the tree that sought to turn him into a puddle of blood. Quickly sheathing his weapon, Hiji slipped under the still airborne tree trunks that had been rent asunder by his shinobi foe and closed the distance, launching a blistering sword strike at the opponent from his sheath once again. Steel clashed against steel as the shinobi tossed the tree away and drew the tanto from over his shoulder to parry. The flats of their blades ground and whined against each other, and Hiji was able to spot a brown eye staring at him through the mask fashioned like an alligator, hungry for battle. "For a country bumpkin, you're a sneaky bastard," he sneered, resisting Hiji's strength. "Most of your country's 'soldiers' we met were pushovers, but we could tell you were different. I'm glad I'm the one who gets to fight you."
JutsuShow
*[Iaido • Ancestral Focus]
D-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
The hallmark of Iaido is its practitioner's ability to launch an attack even when their swords are sheathed. This Discipline represents the practitioner's capacity to consistently execute a sword draw and slash all in one movement by gripping the edge of the scabbard and pulling the scabbard slightly forward before drawing the sword. This Discipline enables the practitioner to immediately draw their sword and attack at the start of combat.

*[Iaido • Ambidexterity]
After practicing for a long amount of time with the concept of using both of their hands with equal skill, the user has developed a level of ambidexterity that allows them to utilize both hands equally and as effectively without any penalty. This extends to other methods of combat or simply everyday life as well.

*[Iaido • Weapon Mastery]
Since Iaido is a style that prioritizes speed over brute strength, wise usage of the blade is paramount to the practitioner's success in the style. This Discipline represents the practitioner's knowledge of their weapon's strengths and weaknesses in combat, allowing them to use the weapon more efficiently both inside and outside of its use in Iaido techniques and avoid unnecessarily presenting their weapon's blind spots to the opponent.

**[Iaido • One with the Sheath]
Prerequisite(s): 8 Speed.
The practitioner has learned how to more quickly and efficiently sheath his blades. The practitioner can now seamlessly transition from drawing their blade to slash to sheathing their blade, allowing the practitioner to sheath their sword in half the time, up to a maximum speed equal to their Speed score, for the more rapid execution of Iaido techniques.
Hiji was undeterred. "You will not succeed. I will protect the children from you and your men," Hiji snarled, his voice more vicious than even he thought possible.

Pushing off, and jumping back, the shinobi retreated momentarily, but as Hiji attempted to advance, the sight of a small paper bomb caught Hiji's view. Hiji had fought against these before, halting and jumping back turning his face away as he awaited the flash, smoke, or explosion. It never came. Instead, the shinobi used the time and distance he gained to weave a set of seals. "You may have fought a few kids with fancy tricks, but you've never seen any shinobi like us!" he taunted, a torrent of water nearly ten meters high and over ten meters wide rushing out from his gullet. Hiji couldn't face it head-on, retreating to the cluster of felled trees as the water hid him from the sight of his opponent. The trees served to momentarily halt the progress of the wave before being thrust forward by the rushing water. Thinking quickly, Hiji jumped on one of the trees and took to the canopy, the water dispersing as the rest of the forest withstood the brunt of the assault. Using the sound caused by the large attack to mask his movements, Hiji jumped from tree to tree as quietly as he could, keeping to the shadows while circling around to catch his opponent's flank.

His opponent, while confident, was not inexperienced. He drew his sword, certain that the samurai was not so easily defeated. Hiji thought to attack from the street, but he held off. 'Not yet,' he told himself. Instead, he would play into his opponent's limited understanding of kenjutsu, dropping to the ground and immediately closing the gap. The shinobi anticipated this and turned, attacking in kind. The two of them danced amidst the music their weapons played, the shinobi utilizing acrobatics, unarmed taijutsu, and kunai and shuriken while Hiji kept to more traditional swordplay, keeping to the ground and evading or deflecting the projectiles.

Hiji's opponent scored the first hit, catching Hiji's shoulder with a kick that sent him skidding back. Using the knockback as a space to weave seals, the earth below began to tremble as crisscrossing rock pillars erupted from the ground. Hiji saw the technique encircled him, his opponent at the other end of the technique, and the pillars approached from the outer range toward the center. Running towards the pillars that had already formed, Hiji slid on the ground leg-first, barely avoiding a pillar from his right as it pierced through where he had been literally moments before. Finally, the pillars stopped moving, and the dust settled as the dimly lit maze stood before him.
Enemy JutsuShow
Earth Element • Fighting Blade Rod
B-Rank Ninjutsu
After weaving the seals for this jutsu, the user causes multiple columns to emerge from the ground at varying angles at [Control] Strength and Speed, creating a maze. Its size and complex patterns can disorient opponents, and by memorizing its layout, the user can take advantage and attack from blind spots. If an opponent is in an open area, the user can also attack them directly with a column.
Hiji knew this was a trap, but he couldn't allow his opponent to leave. The moment he did was the moment all hope of stopping this ploy fell to ashes. He had to play his opponent's game. Slowly walking through, Hiji started taking in his surroundings, looking for particularly deep shadows and occluded openings that could serve as a point of ambush. For a disturbingly long time, his opponent was silent. Hiji's ears hung on the stillness, hungrily seeking any noise that might imply a coming danger. Eventually, his patience would pay off. A chorus of tings off of the hard rock signaled the coming of projectiles, and as he turned around, Hiji saw the projectiles flying through the dim light, slipping in and out of the darkness from multiple directions. Unsheathing his wakizashi, he parried and dodged, doing his utmost to move as little as possible so as to save energy. His opponent had the advantage here, and if he was careless, he would exhaust himself with futile evasion and fall into his enemy's clutches. Instead, he moved forward slowly, steadily, waiting for the opponent to reveal his position. This game of cat and mouse would continue for some time, the rain of projectiles increasing in intensity with each passing volley.
Enemy JutsuShow
*[Flawless Aim Style • Bouncing Shot]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
The practitioner launches a projectile at a shallow angle, targeting the ground or a hard surface. The shallow angle of the shot causes the projectile to bounce off of the surface, moving at -1 Speed and striking with -1 Strength after the bounce. This technique can be used to launch an attack from an unexpected angle or to shoot around, over, or under obstacles.
Hiji held his own, but some still slipped through. A shuriken here, a kunai there would lightly cut him across his shoulder, his thigh, lightly on his cheek. He endured the sting of pain that came from each laceration and moved forward. He knew that soon, his opponent would tire and become impatient. Hiji would have to prepare himself for that moment. If he failed to act on it, this battle would drag on and drain him. He occupied himself only with the sound of his own breathing and the silence around him. He wouldn't have to wait long. The sound of rushing water and crumbling rock resonated from above him, and he had just enough time to glimpse the head of a water dragon bearing down on him before he jumped out of the way, the impact cracking the earth where he was. Hiji took off his upper garment and threw it into the stream of the water, stepping back into the shadows and taking higher ground even as the impacted pillars cracked and buckled under the force of the technique.

Leaping down even as the waters still raged, now confident he had crushed his opponent with a deluge of water and hundreds of pounds of rocks. Quickly spotting the telltale indigo amidst the rubble, shredded by rocks and stained with blood, he relaxed, certain in his victory. "Heh... I told you, samurai," he breathed, his breath heavy from the exertion as he sheathed his weapon. "You've never fought anyone like me."

It was only after the words left his mouth that he realized he was in danger. And by the time he tried to move, that silly samurai's steel was rending through his torso from the right shoulder to his left hip. A look of shock was frozen on his face as his crimson life force stained his face and his strength left his body, falling limply onto his back. A barechested Hiji looked down at him, swinging his sword wide to the side to remove the excess blood from his sword before taking a cloth from inside his hakama to remove the rest. The shinobi took a ragged breath. "Y-Your style... Iaido... It has no aerial maneuvers..." he gasped weakly, struggling to understand why he lost.

Sheathing his weapon, Hiji looked down at his vanquished foe. "...You have never fought a samurai such as I, shinobi," he replied, his contempt audible in his voice even as the ninja fell into unconsciousness. The evening was continuing to give way into the night. Hiji looked to the skies and cursed mentally. This battle was one he hadn't waged before: instead of merely defending himself, he was effectively invading his own home. He had to devise a strategy, and he only had until he arrived in the village to do so.
JutsuShow
[Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu • Dragon Hammer Flash]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite: [Acrobatics] Concentration.
This technique can be performed both with the sword drawn or with the sword sheathed in its scabbard. Hijikata jumps, performing a front flip, before striking the opponent with a powerful downward slash. The additional momentum generated by this movement causes the attack to be treated as if it were launched with +1 Strength and -1 Taijutsu. If Hijikata performs this attack with less than 10 Speed, he is vulnerable to counterattack after the technique ends.
With such little time to truly construct a plan of action, the samurai decided that he would have to find ways to isolate and confuse his enemies, eliminating them one by one. As he approached the village, he heard an outcry from many of the men and women, and his heart sank. Rushing toward the town, he saw that none of the Fire Country samurai were posted at the gates, a troubling sign despite their volatile relationship with the people. Forgoing speed for stealth, Hiji stalked the alleyways until he caught sight of the town square, his blood running cold at what he saw. The people had been corralled into the village square, and the samurai stood in a circle around them as the shinobi took the front of the formation. Many had spears brandished at the terrified villagers whilst others were ripping children from the arms of their desperate parents. The children in this village were all young, no older than ten years of age. This was nothing like he'd ever seen.

"Silence! These are the laws of your rulers, the great Daimyo of the Fire Country and Hokage-sama!" an all-too-familiar voice rang out, dripping with spite and loathing. "Conscription of the young into Fire Country's military forces is compulsory! We provide you with medicine, food, and trade to enrich your lives! You repay us with your taxes, your loyalty, and your children. Rejoice! Your children will not be condemned to the fate of being chained to this simple way of life. They will serve a greater purpose! They will serve our lords as samurai! They will have lives of glory... more than you lot could ever hope for."

Hiji gritted his teeth as he shifted perspective and saw at least two villagers, both likely fathers, beaten to a pulp. These shinobi were particularly ruthless. Conscription laws were not new to Hiji, but he'd never heard of children as young as these being drafted. Surely this could not be just. Hiji's impulse was to dash into the crowd to free the children, but he held his temper and his nerves. A single mistake on his part could cost dozens of lives.

His voice suddenly dropped as he pointed a translucent sword at the group of injured villagers. "But do not be mistaken. The Daimyo and the Hokage are merciful, but they are not complacent. Anyone who resists will be met with swift justice for violating our laws... much like these traitors before you. If you know what is best for you, you will comply and fulfill your duty by producing more children to bolster the forces of this country that was kind enough to take you in and share its wealth. Remember what we could have done. Remember how we could have razed every single building in every pathetic town like this one but chose not to. Be thankful that we bless you with our abundance... And do not dare cross us. Our vengeance will be swift and without mercy."

Hiji cursed. During the speech, the children had all been led or dragged away outside of town. He made his way slowly to the eastward wall and peeked over, taking a survey of the surrounding land. There were two shinobi who were loading up a canvas-topped carriage with sobbing and despondent children, none older than twelve. It seemed that the rest had been sent to report this supposed betrayal to the authorities to take control of the flow of information. This situation was growing worse with every passing second. Hiji had to determine his next move quickly. He decided to wait until the carriage had begun to depart, only two shinobi guarding the caravan. It took all of his willpower to resist the wailing of his village and stop himself from immediately leaping after them.

He grabbed a sackcloth bag near the wall and slit the sides and a hole for his head with his wakizashi before donning the makeshift garment. Then Hiji slipped into the grass he waded through as a boy, carefully trailing the caravan until it reached the treeline. Once he slipped into the shadows, Hiji unsheathed his blade and took mud, spreading it over the blade until none of its reflective surfaces remained. He did the same with the sackcloth, creating a crude camouflage. Then, he took to the trees, quickly catching up to the caravan as it moved through the winding forest roads. The caravan soon stopped, as Hiji expected; these shinobi were evil, but they were still keen warriors, their senses as sharp as his own swords. One of the enemies took to the trees opposite Hiji's location while the other remained standing on top of the caravan, guarding the children. Hiji had to assume that they knew where he was located. Hiji could not be as reserved as he had been with the first shinobi; this was a battle in which he was outnumbered, and he would have to act decisively to better his chances at victory. Thus, instead of hiding and hoping for a stealth kill (not anything approaching his strong suit), Hiji moved towards the noise of rustling trees and footsteps on the branches, roughly gauging his enemy's position. His previous opponent had used ranged weaponry and ninjutsu, but Hiji couldn't assume these two were the same. He used the noise of his own movement to lure the opponent in, readying himself to jump to a sturdy limb nearby to vault off of and attack. He had to be prepared for one of their ninjutsu explosives they were oh so fond of.

Hiji didn't have to wait long. The smoke bomb ripped out from a tree nearby and HIji leaped, inverting his body as his feet found purchase on the underside of a sturdy tree limb before vaulting himself like a rocket off toward the shinobi's location, adding a spin to his movement to both add strength and confuse the opponent. It seems that this shinobi also underestimated him; Hiji's sword quickly found purchase, and a wet cough was followed by a heavy thud on the ground as Hiji swung his blade, removing the majority of the soot and mud from it whilst the remaining particulate intermingled with fresh blood. Hiji turned toward the caravan, the second shinobi's eyes locked onto his general location. There was little point in trying to use stealth. The caravan was on the open path, far away from any obstructions or cover. Hiji instead walked toward the caravan slowly, discarding the sackcloth covering, its purpose served. As he walked into the clearing, the combatants sized each other up, the shinobi noticing the clear dripping of blood off of Hiji's katana. He scowled, clearly evident even through the mask which bore resemblance to a serpent. Grabbing a tagged kunai from his pouch, the shinobi slid the canvas on the top of the caravan open, evoking a startled cry from the children as he dangled the weapon over the ripped covering. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't blow these kids to hell," he threatened flatly.

Hiji's eyes narrowed. His experience with bloodshed was obvious in his tone. Hiji thought carefully for a moment. There had to be a way to divert attention away from the kids to Hiji... and then he realized that he did. It was a powerful weapon, in this case, called the truth. So, that's exactly what Hiji told him. "We have stockpiled mountains of testimonial evidence against you and the samurai collaborators of your crimes against the people," he responded in kind before deciding to add bait to attack him. "I am the messenger that seals your fate. If you kill them, their deaths will be added to your long list of offenses, and your own people with hunt you down like rabid shepherd dogs."

The shinobi chuckled at first before erupting into full belly laughter. "How valiant! And how insanely idiotic that you just showed your hand. You're right, samurai. I won't kill the kids," he confirmed, jumping off the caravan before rushing toward Hiji with his sword drawn. "I'll simply kill you and take out two birds with one stone!"

Hiji rushed to meet him only to notice the telltale stance of Yoshin and pivot hard. Hiji turned his sword-bearing shoulder to his opponent, presenting as shrunken a profile as he could as he parried the flurry of thrusts. But his opponent was prepared, and it was only a touch too late that Hiji noticed the slightly serrated edge on his sword as it cut a thin bloody line along his torso. The wound thankfully wasn’t deep, but Hiji knew it didn’t have to be to cause serious damage.

His opponent saw Hiji’s focus shift, and he capitalized on the moment. Clashing blades with the samurai, the shinobi slid his weapon down and, using the serrated edge of his blade to latch onto the guard, he pulled Hiji’s weapon forward before swinging with a wide kick. The strike caught Hiji square in the chest, and he came dangerously close to getting winded as he was launched backward. The shinobi was relentless, electricity arcing off of his blade as he continued to assault Hiji; he'd woven the seals quickly enough that Hiji hadn't caught them in his line of sight.
Enenmy JutsuShow
*[Yoshin • Whip Snare]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Forgoing the typical practice of aiming one's blows to do the most critical damage possible, the practitioner instead lashes out at the opponent with a quick snapping slash or thrust. If the attack lands, the practitioner curves and angles the edge of their blade as they cut, making a shallower, irregular cut. While these cuts rarely cause any serious damage on their own, the nature of the cut not only makes them difficult to mend or stitch, they also contribute to significant blood loss over time and are incredibly painful for the opponent. This can make moving and executing techniques more difficult for an opponent hit by this technique unless they have an Endurance equal to or higher than the practitioner's Speed.

*[Toryu • Cobblestone Skeleton]
A practitioner of Toryu is capable of attacking with every part of their body, even their heads. This Discipline represents the practitioner's capacity and experience with executing palm strikes, heel strikes, knee strikes, elbow strikes, and headbutts/skull bashes just as effectively as regular punches, kicks, and sword strikes. This Discipline allows the practitioner to consistently execute these kinds of attacks while minimizing or eliminating openings in their defenses or shock/damage they would experience while using these kinds of strikes.

*Raiton • Conductor
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After performing the correct hand seals, the user will coat a weapon they are holding in Raiton electricity for 5 posts. This causes the shock effect to be produced on any contact with a target, while also granting blunt weapons the ability to cut through skin to produce shallow wounds. This also works for thrown weapons; however, if the projectile remains out of contact with the user for more than 2 posts, the technique will dissipate early.
Hiji abandoned his conservative movements, knowing that narrowing his focus only to conserving stamina would likely cause him more injuries than he could sustain right now. Taking his scabbard from his belt with his other hand, Hiji batted each stab away while stepping to the opposite side, the wood insulating against the Raiton chakra coursing along the enemy's blade. Hiji had faced enough shinobi to know that this only worked with the weakest of techniques like this; if he tried anything more potent, his scabbard would provide no protection at all. Hiji was carefully scanning for an opening or a flaw in his opponent's strategy. If this fight dragged on, small injuries would worsen and become more numerous, and it would make fighting the last of the shinobi and the samurai impossible. This had to end, and quickly.

The shinobi rushed forward, swinging his elbow up toward Hiji's chin, seemingly also eager to draw this duel to a close. Hiji saw his chance, dodging back and quickly sheathing his weapon. His opponent grinned. "Checkmate!" he sneered, the blade slicing down from overhead. Hiji had to acknowledge that his opponent was skilled. Even shinobi could show enough respect to the sword to learn styles from lands other than their own. He recognized the movements of Toryu, and though he'd not yet had the privilege of learning the sword himself, he'd faced it before in combat. Their students were unorthodox but fierce, resilient, and cunning. This opponent did the school justice.
Enemy JutsuShow
*[Toryu • Grave Digger]
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite(s): 15 Strength.
Rushing in towards the opponent either as a charging attack or after evading an opponent's attack, the practitioner starts with their arms crossed in front of their chests before quickly sweeping their elbows up over their heads, the flat of the practitioner's front-most elbow potentially striking the opponent under their chin. While this elbow strike can cause considerable damage by itself, the purpose of the elbow strike is to cause the opponent to dodge. With their arms crossed over their heads, the practitioner braces their unarmed hand against their sword arm and swings both down at once. The additional torque provided by the unarmed hand allows the sword strike that follows to immediately accelerate to maximum speed. The practitioner can twist or sidestep during this downswing to compensate for where the opponent is dodging.
Still, it was not enough to fell Hiji. Bringing his sword, still in its scabbard, up to meet the strike, the enemy's blade dug into the wood of Hiji's scabbard. Using this weight to draw his sword from the scabbard with his grip reversed, Hiji spun and crouched before dashing forward to the opponent's side, slashing his opponent from shoulder to hip. An airy gasp was punctuated by the lone sound of a dull thud, the opponent falling to the ground, defeated. Turning to retrieve his scabbard, Hiji's mind immediately turned to the children. Checking the back of the carriage, he was relieved to find the children unharmed, though terribly frightened. They all recognized Hiji's familiar face, and many started to sniffle and tear up while some began outright crying. Doing his best to tenderly quiet the children, Hiji gave them simple instructions. "I've defeated the shinobi here, but I must return to the village to help the others. Go into the forest and hide there. Wait for me. I will come for you. Those who are older should lead those who are younger by the hand. Do you understand?"
JutsuShow
[Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu • Twin Dragon Thunder Flash]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite(s): [Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu • Twin Dragon Flash]
An extension of the technique behind the Twin Dragon Flash technique, Hijikata fakes out the opponent, poising himself for an Iaido slash but instead slamming the sword in its scabbard against the enemy's guard, using the added weight to add more pressure against an opponent's guard. When making this initial attack, one of Hijikata's hands reverse grips the hilt of his sword. Hijikata then rotates and draws the sword out of his scabbard with the reverse grip, immediately changing the distribution of force, potentially throwing his opponent off-balance. Spinning and lowering his body Hijikata slashes the opponent under or around the opponent's guard before catching the scabbard in their other hand. This technique is ineffective against opponents with a higher Strength than Hijikata.
The children nodded, and gently lowering them from the carriage, he watched each of them go deeper into the woods hand in hand and waited until they crested over the nearest hill before attending to his injuries. The cuts were not severe, but they were uncomfortable. Rifling through the enemy shinobi's pack, he thankfully found some bandages. Taking time to wrap his lower torso, Hiji stowed the rest of the bandages in a pocket in his hakama. Hiji contemplated his next course of action as he moved back toward the village. If it were only the shinobi he had to be concerned about, there might still be hope. But if the samurai were to attack with him... there would be little hope he would escape alive, let alone prevail. Still, he had to fight. And if his end were to come in the defense of his home, then his death would be a worthy one. This was hardly an ideal conclusion to his journey, so he brainstormed with what little time he had before arriving at the gate. A single desperate idea crystallized into his mind as he set foot past the wall.

The samurai were busily confining the villagers into their homes as Hiji entered and were unaware of his approach. But Hiji would not strike an opponent's back like so, not one that hadn't already committed to facing him in combat through word or action. Hiji's target was different. Leveling his sword at the crimson-eyed shinobi whose back was turned to him, the samurai called out to him in a powerful voice. "Hojo! Face me, if you've any honor left within you!" he challenged, the samurai turning to see Hiji issuing the call to arms. Scrambling to now balance this new threat with the suppression of the village, four of the samurai stationed rushed toward the town's center where Hojo and the samurai stood.

Hojo's head tilted, and even though he wasn't facing Hiji, the shinobi's disdain for the teacher was unmistakable. "I knew it was only a matter of time until we crossed blades, peasant," he growled, refusing to turn around. "It's a pity you're so foolhardy that you'd rush to your death. The samurai here are more than enough to deal with you."

Hiji ignored the threat, even as the samurai around him inched forward. Hojo was shrewd. He probably already surmised that his comrades had been defeated, if he had to gander. He also probably surmised that Hiji wouldn't have survived without some injury. In order to make Hojo agree to the terms, he'd have to attack his pride. And given his boisterous speech from before, Hiji knew exactly where to hit him. "Indeed. It is a pity. It makes sense now that you survived the war. Your 'Hokage' seems to only have cowards and criminals in his employ. Are all of you Leaf shinobi so distinguished?" Hiji antagonized, his tone intentionally haughty and derisive.

The samurai stopped cold in their tracks and looked towards Hojo, a sign that Hiji's ploy was likely to succeed. Nothing changed at first, Hojo's back still turned. But the change didn't take long. A vein bulged out of the side of the shinobi's neck, and his chakra began to agitate the air around him. A vain man's pride was already a fragile thing. But the pride of a vain hypocrite with delusions of grandeur? With the right pressure, his composure disintegrated like wet cottontails. Turning around, Hiji met Hojo's gaze, the latter's eyes now glowing almost like a hellish fire, his face contorted and twisted by an unquenchable rage. "Leave him. He's mine. He gets to die for insulting the greatest leader in the shinobi world."

The samurai looked at each other before reluctantly stepping back. Hiji drew in a deep breath and exhaled, bracing himself for what was to come. Several subsequent fights over such a short period had sapped a good deal of his energy, and his opponent was fresh to the battle. He'd not entered combat under such circumstances since the war. He did not let his heart waiver, but he had to approach this carefully. The translucent sword Hojo had earlier was still in his hand, and now that Hiji was closer to him, Hiji realized that it was almost like a glass prism. He'd never seen such a strange and delicate weapon before. There was clearly some secret to it.

A shuriken fell into Hojo's hand from inside his sleeve and it quickly began to glow crimson before he threw it, the movements linked seamlessly. It was so fluid that even Hiji was momentarily caught off-guard. Quickly sidestepping to the left of the attack, Hiji realized almost too late that he'd already fallen for the enemy's trap as the light from the shuriken intensified momentarily before detonating. He jumped out of the way and managed to avert his gaze but suffered a mild contact burn from the explosion of bloody light that followed along his right arm and shoulder. Doing his best to ignore the pain, Hiji braced himself for the attack that he was certain would follow. Yet, when he looked for Hojo, the shinobi had vanished. That glowing shuriken... did this man weaponize light itself?! Even during the war, he hadn't seen anything of the sort.
Enemy JutsuShow
~Light Release • Imploding Star
D-Rank Ninjutsu
After grabbing a weapon or small object and flowing Hiton chakra into it, the user causes the object to glow with their personal chakra color and essentially turns the weapon or object into a constantly glowing, explosive flash tag. This infusion lasts for 4 posts. The 'infusion' does not make the object more durable in any way. The user can also release the Hiton chakra stored inside once and cause it to let out a large burst of explosive light equal to that of the user’s [Control].

~Light Release • Empty Light
C-rank Ninjutsu
Prerequisites: Hiton: Natural Light
Focusing chakra into their body, the user performs hand seals and then manipulates the way light refracts around their bodies, allowing them to make themselves visually invisible. They still have a chakra signature, must breathe and still make noise, but they are completely invisible to the naked eye. The user can only move as fast as the lowest stat between [Speed] and [Control]. This lasts for 4 posts.
The enemy was crafty, knowing that to pause his follow-up not only imposed a mental strain on his opponent but also gave an opportunity for a much more damaging blow. For all of Hiji's skill, he was still only a ronin. If he perhaps were fighting in the shadows, much the shinobi did, he perhaps would be able to use cover to his advantage. But here? In the open? His opponent's ninjutsu techniques clearly had the upper hand. A heavy footstep behind him gave Hiji a fraction of a second to put his weight forward, which prevented what came next from ending the duel right there. Violent agony erupted from his back as the glass-like blade slashed his back, down from the back of his left shoulder toward his lower right rib, the cut slicing and burning all at once. Hiji grit his teeth, not giving his opponent the pleasure of hearing him cry out in pain

Turning, Hiji attempted to turn and counter with a thrust, but his strike hit the air. A chuckle emanated from atop one of the roofs. "What's wrong, samurai? Doesn't your lauded honor let you see where my attacks are coming from?" Hojo taunted, already planning his next move. "If you'd only stayed in your place, you wouldn't have to know what it's like for a blade to cauterize as it cuts. I'm curious to see what you can do when you can't even trust your eyes, you backwater rat."
Enemy JutsuShow
~Light Release • Blade of the Eclipse
C-rank Ninjutsu
After channeling Hiton chakra and focusing it into one hand or over an existing weapon, an Awai is capable of solidifying and shaping their personal chakra into the shape of any single-handed weapon. The weapon forms at a speed and strength equal to the user’s [Control]. It also stores charing heat inside the weapon which can cause scalding or searing upon contact. If this is cast over an existing weapon, strikes with the weapon have longer range. The blade lasts for 3 posts or until destroyed.

Silent Prism Blade: Hiton techniques channeled through this weapon do not emit visible light but retain all other effects of the jutsu.
Hojo's taunting was wasted on Hiji. Though he was heated, he was also aware of that fact. Momentarily focusing his mind, Hiji blocked out the burning of his arm and back, sheathing his weapon and closing his eyes as he stood poised to draw and strike. Hojo was right. He couldn't trust his eyes here... but Hiji had more senses than just his sight. He remembered shortly before Hojo cut his back that there was a perceptible sound of a footstep behind him. He had to wait and listen for that sign so that he could be ready to counterattack. Hiji suspected there would be very few chances to attack Hojo if he let the shinobi control the flow of the battle. Once he got his hands onto Hojo, Hiji wouldn't let go. He couldn't afford to if he wanted to survive this. Several long moments passed with Hiji listening only to the sound of his heartbeat. He stood completely still, and for a fraction of a second, the whole world fell into silence.

A single step scraped the ground to his right, and Hiji torqued the muscles in his legs to violently spin as he opened his eyes and drew his weapon, launching three rapid, consecutive slashes toward the sound. Two loud clangs rang out before Hiji felt his blade purchase what he understood to be human flesh, watching a streak of blood appear seemingly out of nowhere as the camouflage fell away. Hojo, much like Hiji had done several moments before, had realized the impending damage he was about to take and leaned back to minimize it before jumping away. Swinging the blood off of his blade, Hiji sheathed it back in its scabbard as he looked upon his opponent.
JutsuShow
[Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu • Dragon Coil Flash]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite(s): *[Iaido • Last Breath]
Useful for when Hijikata is surrounded or if he is countering an opponent's attack, Hijikata steps forward and rotates a full three-hundred sixty degrees while drawing his sword from its scabbard. This can slash multiple opponents in a circle around him or can counterattack an opponent with a powerful slash from behind them.
Not wasting time on what ultimately was a failed strategy, Hojo wove handseals and formed a disk of crimson light in his hands, which he threw at Hiji. The ronin remembered the shuriken from before and concluded that this projectile likely also had some sort of hidden threat to consider. Bringing his blade down to clash against the disk, Hiji was surprised for it to be solid. He was even more surprised as the disk immediately began to expand, and he had to guard against the force of the light which threatened to cut him in twain if he failed. Being thrust back twenty meters, Hiji was barely able to get his guard back up as Hojo leaped over the light disc and, with an impressive inverted pirouette, aimed to behead the ronin. Hiji avoided fatal damage, but the blade swept down and cut into his right shoulder as Hiji was pushed to the edge of the disk's range. Hiji lunged forward, sheathing his blade as he sought to take advantage of Hojo's recovery after landing before unleashing a slash toward the ground. The earth between them erupted, spitting rock shards, dirt, and dust into Hojo. Jumping further away, Hojo crossed his arms in front of his face and torso and tucked in his legs, but though his core avoided damage, his limbs and extremities were assaulted by the wave of earth, and blood seeped down his legs and arms as he shakily returned to a ready position. The Konoha shinobi was furious that the samurai had managed to even the odds with a single attack, but he'd never seen a samurai with movements like him. Most swordsmen would have snapped such a thin blade. He hadn't expected that kind of offense from, of all people, a small town swordsmanship teacher.
Enemy JutsuShow
~Light Release • Solar Saw Blade
C-rank Ninjutsu
Performing the hand seals, the user then puts one hand up and is able to create a brightly shining disc of condensed light up to 1 meter in diameter that is the same color as their personal light. The disk created is extremely thin like a blade. The user is then able to throw the blade up to 25 meters upon which when it makes contact or reach the end will expand up to [Control]m in diameter with a strength and speed equal to the user’s [Control] slicing everything in its path. This disk can be held for up to 5 posts before dissipating.
JutsuShow
[Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu • Earth Dragon Flash]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
This technique can be performed with the blade drawn or with the blade sheathed. Twisting his blade in hand mid-swing, Hijikata strikes into the earth and flings earthen debris upward at the opponent. Depending on the terrain, this can serve as a distraction by obscuring or impairing the opponent's vision, or it can serve as a ranged attack by slinging rocks and pebbles at the opponent. The debris moves at a Speed and Strength and for a number of meters all equal to Hijitaka's Strength.
Hiji's stamina was waning, and his breathing became heavy and fatigued. The injuries from all of the fighting were taking their toll and for the better part of an hour, he'd been engaged in high-intensity combat. Though he'd fought for longer in the war, the enemies he'd confronted had been less skilled than these. He couldn't afford to keep up with the dynamic movements he'd been making up until now, and he certainly couldn't afford for Hojo to regain his composure. He'd have to bait him into a final confrontation and end it decisively with a single strike. Hiji had just the perfect observation to offer to motivate Hojo to take it. "Your skills with your ninja arts aside... you are weaker than most I've fought," he commented

This comment clearly agitated Hojo. "That's an arrogant statement coming from someone who's on their last legs. You got lucky, that's all," he shot back, forcing his legs and arms to shake less despite the shock and strain.

Hiji shook his head. "No, it is not arrogance. I've been engaged in combat with your shinobi partners. As a whole, you're certainly tougher than most samurai platoons I've crossed swords with, but by yourselves? There were at least two of your comrades who I fought that were stronger than you. Do they follow you because you're truly the fiercest amongst them... or do they merely follow you out of pity?" Hiji asked, knowing that even considering the question would topple the shinobi's already fragile ego.

Sure enough, Hojo's face contorted into a grimace of unadulterated rage. He didn't bother responding and instead pulled an injection device from his pack and slammed it into his leg. Hiji wasn't certain what it was that he had just put into his body, but he had to assume it was some sort of medicine or steroid, as shortly after it was injected, Hojo's legs and arms stopped trembling, and as he wove a familiar set of seals, Hojo vanished. Hiji closed his eyes, listening intently to his surroundings. It's true that Hiji had a means to counterattack, but Hojo was an experienced soldier. It's likely he wouldn't use the same avenue of attack, and it was possible that he might even use feints to mislead Hiji's senses. If Hiji fell for such a ruse, his life would be forfeit. Almost as if on cue, a dull thud reached his ears from the left. Hiji almost reacted but stopped himself, realizing something was wrong. There was no weight behind it. Likely a shuriken or kunai to mislead him. He waited longer. A second thud from his right side. The same lack of weight. Hiji kept listening, the silence weighing further on his mind as each second passed. A third sound, from in front of him. There! There was the weight. But something was still wrong: it was too distant. Did he run? No, not him. He wouldn't run. Then...

'Above!'

Hiji dropped his weight and rolled backward into a crouch and the sound of earth cracking soon followed where he once stood. He didn't question the cause; with a powerful cry, Hiji unleashed a single final attack with all of his might, feeling it purchase on flesh and hew through bone. Opening his eyes, he saw his blade slick with blood as the sound of a light thump hit the ground behind him.
JutsuShow
[Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu • Dragon Wing Flash]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Prerequisite: [Acrobatics] Concentration.
This technique can be performed both with the sword drawn or with the sword sheathed in its scabbard. Most commonly used when dodging under an opponent's attack and counter-attacking, Hijikata performs a single Ukemi roll on the ground, ducking under the opponent's weapon. Once he returns to his feet, Hijikata dashes forward and slashes at the opponent's midsection or side as he moves past them.
The samurai who occupied the town looked upon the scene in fright. Hiji removed the blood from his blade with a single swing, ignoring the pain as he calmly sheathed his weapon. Turning to the samurai, Hiji did not mince words, summoning every last bit of malice he had the energy to unleash. "Samurai of the Fire Country! You have shamed yourselves and your Lord through your actions here. Begone from this place! Take your shinobi conspirators with you and go beg forgiveness from your masters. If you are fortunate, you may be allowed to redeem yourselves for your errors or at least regain your honor through seppuku. If one of your remains or resists, the whole of your lives are forfeit. There will be no mercy from me for the lot of you if you do not heed this warning!"

The samurai did not have the heart or courage to fight a man that had bested multiple shinobi on his own, regardless of how he looked now. Hiji remained standing in the same place until he saw the last of the samurai (including those that had taken Hojo's unconscious body away) fade away into the distance. The tension finally released from his muscles, and an insurmountable wave of exhaustion overtook the ronin as he fell into the darkness of sleep.
The sounds of hushed conversation and rolling wheels broke Hiji from his slumber, his eyes greeted to small familiar faces and the canvas of a horse-drawn carriage. He could feel that his wounds were covered with bandages and salves. His arm rested in a sling, and his head was resting against something soft.

"Do not fear, son. You are safe."

The voice came from behind and above. A woman's face soon came into view as she craned her head over his, identical indigo eyes framed by raven hair that matched his own. He immediately recognized his mother, Tamayo.

"Okāsan... The village..."

She shook her head, unable to hide the worry on her face or in her voice. "They are safe. Your battle allowed them to relocate the testimonial evidence to a safer location. We travel to the border of Fire Country. Your father rides behind us, and you will take the children across the border to Fuhen-sama while we return. We found a path free of heavy Fire Country presence. You should be able to slip through there."

Hiji's brow furrowed, confused even in the haze of fatigue. "Wait... I never told you of my connection to Fuhen-dono. How...?

A gentle hand wiped stray bangs away from Hiji's face before she gently stroked his cheek. "Whilst gathering your belongings, we found the scroll bearing his name and seal. We know we place a burden upon you and your lord, but we cannot trust that the children are safe in our homes, son. Not now, at least," Tamayo explained.

Hiji heard his mother, impressed that the town had already surmised his intentions for after the battle, but he also could tell that she was barely holding herself together, and he surmised why. "...After I have seen to the children's needs, I will beseech the Hokage for his forgiveness to free our village and Fuhen-dono from reproach. I will see you again, mother. I swear it."

Tears welled up in her eyes, no longer able to hold them back as her voice slightly cracked. "I will hold you to your promise, my cherished son."

The ride passed more quickly than Hiji would have wanted. Knowing that these words would be the last he would share with his parents for an indeterminate amount of time tore at him inside, almost as much as the worry he had for them during the war. He had hoped to truly reconnect with them. Now, an invisible barrier stood between them once more, and Hiji wasn't certain if he would survive crossing its threshold. There was a threat of finality to this meeting. So few of the people he loved still remained. To be torn away from them once again hurt more than any physical would he could suffer. But the course of wisdom was often unfeeling. All he could do was carry out his charge and protect the children with all he had.

It was a tearful parting when they reached their destination, a secluded wood on the path towards a border town near the entrance to Tea Country. With the weight of the future on his shoulders, Hijikata turned to face his destiny as the children in his charge were left uncertain as to what their futures held. Hiji would make sure that they would have honorable, worthy ones. And soon, very soon, he would stake his very life on that promise.

Return to “Other Countries”